1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Amelia, Worm AU [Complete]

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by TanaNari, Jan 10, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Flammy

Flammy Gone for Good

Any chance we'll get a PHO update (or 3) sometime? I know you only did it once, but twas a lot of fun.

Perhaps less Winged One posting now?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  2. Threadmarks: Amelia, Ch 211- Arianna
    TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Amelia, Ch 211- Arianna

Head hurts. Dark. I slowly came to. I was laying face down on what felt like a giant gel pack. It was warm. And smelled like wet grass.

"Oh, good, you're awake," a girl spoke. "Before you do anything, I'm going to explain your situation. I have very powerful taser weapon. I can promise it won't kill you, and I can promise it will stop you. I can't promise it won't hurt you. Then we'll probably have to hand you over to a girl who's very close friends with the boy you kidnapped. She's our healer. I can't promise she won't kill you. Or a whole lot worse. So for your own sake, don't try anything."

I reached out with my power and felt... nothing. Nowhere. All of my anchors are gone. "How... how did you disable my power? How did you even find me?" I managed to croak, despite the pain radiating from my skull. I reached back and gingerly touched the back of my head. It was sore, and my hair was damp.

"Pixie flatulence," the girl answered dryly. "And Santa Claus owes us a favor ever since we saved Christmas from the mole people. Turns out murder, kidnapping, and dropping tinker napalm on a bunch of civilians gets you on the naughty list real fast."

Well, shit. "They weren't in any danger," I insisted. "Playmate's power was already active." I slowly climbed to my feet.

"Yeah, we figured that out, too," the girl replied. "So mind explaining what you were thinking? I mean, most of it's pretty transparent, you want to bring down the Capello crime family. You framed them for the Fallen murders, knowing we'd have to come along and do our thing. When you figured out it wasn't working, you tried to draw the big guns by kidnapping Horus and murdering the rest of us."

"No!" I insisted, and immediately regretted raising my voice. I hissed in pain. "No," I said again, much quieter this time. "I didn't kill anyone."

"Okay, let's say I believe you," the girl agreed too quickly, I realized. She already knew I didn't do it. "Why the fuck did you do all of this? For that matter, your power is strong enough to take them out yourself. Why bring us into this mess at all?"

"I didn't," I told her. "That incompetent Director did. I practically gift wrapped his case for him, and then he goes and sets up a fake crime scene. Then I kinda got my hopes up when you showed. I mean, if he was too chicken shit to handle it, maybe you would. Then I found out you were just going to let them get away with everything like you didn't care at all, so I was trying to give you more reasons to go after them."

"Well, yeah, all evidence suggested they didn't do it," the girl replied. "We kinda need a reason before we start kicking ass. It sucks, but that's how it works.

"Oh, they did it," I insisted. "And a lot of others. Thirty murders that I know about, probably lots more. I just never had a chance to prove it before. The mob's been doing business with the Fallen for years. Buying drugs, selling guns and forged documents and even homeless people. After you happened, those three showed up looking for a place to stay. They were given an overdose of Bliss. Then suffocated."

"And you didn't go to the police?" she asked. "With any of this?"

"They own the fucking police," I growled. I wanted to yell at her, but I learned my lesson last time. "And the courts. And the Mayor. Wouldn't be surprised to learn they own the Director, too."

"Doubt it," she answered. "At least about the Director. If he was on the take, those deaths never would have made it on the news. I have to ask, why are you so obsessed with the mob? And how do you know so much about it?"

Okay, she has a point about that. "Oh, pardon me, I must have forgotten my manners when I was knocked unconscious," I grumbled. "Arianna Capello. Pleased to meet you." I held out my hand to the darkness, but the woman didn't bother taking it.

She laughed. She actually laughed at me. I bit off a smartass remark or stream of profanities. "Sorry," she spoke after a moment. "I'm not about to fall for that trick. Touching you is a bad idea. While we're on that subject, just what is your power, anyway?"

"You don't know?" I asked. "How did you disable my power if you don't even know what it is?"

"It's not," she answered. "One of my powers is combat precognition. It tells me how to beat you. It doesn't tell me why it works, just that it will work."

"Teleporting," I answered. "I can teleport anything I can see into touch range of myself. Anything I'm already touching, I can teleport to anywhere I can see. And I can teleport myself, of course. It's pretty useful."

"Maybe I should have mentioned I have thinker powers. Emotion reading is one of them. Making me a damn near perfect lie detector. Want to explain the rest of your power? Like travelling almost a hundred miles. Pretty sure that's not line of sight. Or how you destroyed that table."

God damn it. "Umm... I can set places. I call them anchors. I can teleport things to or from an anchor like I'm there and can see it." I paused for a moment. The woman said nothing, and I reluctantly continued. "I don't really know how the destroying things works. I just teleport something, but halfway through I kinda cancel the effect. I learned I could do that by accident."

"Show me," she instructed, and I felt something tap my side. I reached out and touched it. A stick of some kind? Too heavy, too thick, too smooth. I focused, and activated the teleport. Without anchors and without the ability to see, there wasn't anywhere I could send it. I obeyed her request and it returned to normal. The process took less than a blink of an eye. The object was gently removed from my hand. "So... Arianna..." she said after what felt like an eternity. "How would you like a job? The pay's slightly less than wonderful, but the perks are amazing."

I thought this would be more fun, I thought as I watched police ransack my house in the middle of the night. I glanced over at Atropos. She was even more awe inspiring in person. It gave me confidence, knowing I was standing beside her. She glanced over at me and I looked away immediately.

"What?" she asked.

"Nothing..." I looked down. "Just. Thank you. And I'm sorry. Again."

"Don't worry about it," she responded. "Most fun I've had in a while." She gave a hard look at Victoria, who simply clasped her hands together behind her back.

"Really?" I asked. I chose not to ask what that was about between them.

"At work, at least," she answered. "Murder mysteries, intrigue, politics. We were one scantily dressed actress and a carton of cigarettes away from film noir. I give it a nine out of ten, would recommend to friends."

"Thanks," I smiled.

"Miss Capello?" a man asked as he approached. He was smartly dressed.

"Yes?" I asked.

"I'm Agent Mallory, FBI," he introduced himself. "First, I would like to commend you on your bravery. I know it must be difficult, but you're doing a good thing."

"Not nearly as difficult as you think," I shrugged. "I appreciate the sentiment, but I'm not so fragile. I'm now functionally homeless, you're putting half my living relatives in a cell tonight, and the other half are probably going to hire someone to murder me with piano wire. Wouldn't be surprised if they're already making the phone calls. And I'm a major witness for a federal case that could define careers. Witness protection is a thing I know about."

He blinked. Feels good to know I can still throw people off their game. "Err, as you wish Miss Capello," he recovered quickly. "That does make this a great deal easier."

"I'll be turning it down," I informed him.

"Uh... excuse me?"

"Got a better offer," I told him. "Don't worry, I'll be there to testify and do all the stuff you need me to do. But I've seen my father get to people who were supposedly safe before. I wouldn't be surprised to find out he bought your boss a prostitute for his or her birthday. I can't trust you to keep me safe."

"Miss Capello, I assure you we can provide the best possible security," he continued. "Better than anyone else can offer."

"Except them," I gestured at Victoria. It was fun watching his face and the barely visible look of shock. He was good at hiding his reactions, but not perfect. "They can give me a new name, a new identity, even new fingerprints and DNA. Can you offer that?"

"I... no," he admitted. "I suppose we cannot." He looked toward Victoria. "And you're going to do all this? Why?"

"I found out she's never seen The Godfather and I'm really looking forward to movie night," she replied. "Besides, I have to continue my family's tradition of abducting children from supervillains. It's worked out awesome so far."

===========

A/N- Vicky gets the best lines. It's in her contract.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
  3. CptTagon

CptTagon Prolific Writer

was even

And now everything is nicely explained for us simpletons in the audience. Normally I think of myself as being pretty good at picking up on foreshadowing, but I don't think I've caught more then one in four of the twists so far, at least before they're revealed.

4. Slayer Anderson

Slayer Anderson Orthodox Heretic

Children Abducted From Supervillains by the Dallon Family:

Amelia Claire Lavere
    Riley (Bonesaw)
    Theo Anders
    Arianna Capello

...they are on a roll, aren't they?

GFFerrari, Ryuketsu, eNBious and 43 others like this.
  5. Z000

Z000 If this is trash, then find me in the dumpster

so whose was that girl ???

Divabot and DasNiveau like this.
  6. Nigel Burnelli Isaacs

Nigel Burnelli Isaacs Not too sore, are you?

Well now that was an interesting update from the perspective of a new OC and Pantheon recruit who will be rather useful given her power, eh the Pantheon got a very nice thing out of this. now on a personnal level I can see Arianna and Theo bond over their respective childhoods among criminal organisations even though it will not go beyond friendly given that I do not think Theo fits Arianna's type.

Now I wonder how things will go for her with the rest of the team, especially between her and Riley after the stunt she pulled, futhermore I wonder about the synergies between her power and Zach's and Missy those could be very interesting as well of xcourse as her ...Compatibility with Lily.

Also nice lines for Vicky.

7. DasNiveau

DasNiveau Getting some practice in, huh?

Ah to late

8. edale

edale Versed in the lewd.

Glastig Uaine + Eidolon + Contessa planning session:
    Eidolon: "OK, we're gearing up to take on Skitter. We've got a parahuman that can reap the powers of dead parahumans, then use those powers as her own; a parahuman that can get just about ANY power, 3 times over, at the drop of a hat, and a parahuman that can literally see the way to win in any situation."

Contessa: "Meh, we can take her."

GU looks at Contessa in shock.

GU: "What hast thou done!"

Contessa: "Path to Victory. This way we lose outright, FAR better than forcing Skitter to escalate. Too large a chunk of the population dies on any other Path."

Gotta love how you times that so the author's note was the next line.

We just had a whole chapter from her perspective...

9. Finbar

Finbar I trust you know where the happy button is?

I just.....holy crap...

Ok, In retrospect the daughter of the Boss of the Organisation selling him out because she wants to be good. Cliche'd as hell, but always fun.

Power wise, she is fricken awesome. Offensive teleporting plus what is basically Mouse Protector's power. She must be a Mouse Protector Bud.

10. Peanuckle

Peanuckle Versed in the lewd.

Wonder what sort of hijinks Pantheon will be able to pull by combining a teleporter to their dimensional shift nonsense.

Divabot likes this.
  11. BlackBulletOfSeven

BlackBulletOfSeven Making the rounds.

So Arianna is just Trickster on absolutely massive steroids?

Also, isn't the point of Teleporting that there is no real distance to travel? It's just something disappearing in one spot and appearing in another instantly.

So if Teleporting has actual 0 travel time, how is there a spot "in between" anchors for her to fuck with? Cuz there shouldn't be one if it's actual teleporting.

In other news. it's time for another round of...
    GUESS THAT CAPE NAME!

With our last Contestant Victoria absolutely duping everyone involved in her round, how will the crowd react to this new Mafia Princess-turned Cape-turned Divinity themed (Anti?)Hero!

It's time to break open those mythology books people! This time we're on the look out for a Goddess of most likely Roman pantheon who has a domain centered around Travel, a Guide of travelers, or even a being who leads people astray! Yes, there should be no shortage of guesses this round of that you can be sure!

Now, participants, time to take a chance and pick a name. We'll find out if your guess is right...

Right after this message from our sponsors!

AyiosKat, Zarohk, Volkogluk and 7 others like this.
  12. evildice

evildice (emotionally stable clown posse)

Missy: "It means I'll have slightly more free time."

13. Slayer Anderson

Slayer Anderson Orthodox Heretic

I'll go with...

Anansi or Arachne.

There's the trickster aspect to her power and her 'anchors' work a bit like a spider's web in some metaphorical aspects. Plus, given that Taylor's backstory is public, Arianna probably found Kephri an inspiration given how Taylor had to deal with so many corrupt officials and incompetent authority figures...besides those who weren't outright evil. Anyway, I'd think picking a spider-theme name would be a subtle nudge towards her having a bit of hero worship.

14. Peanuckle

Peanuckle Versed in the lewd.

http://www.dauntlessjaunter.com/2013/08/22/meet-the-deities-of-travel/

Take a pick.

Personally, I like Fortuna Redux, because Contessa would just blow a fuse.

TanaNari, Faraway-R, Divabot and 4 others like this.
  15. edale

edale Versed in the lewd.

"goddesses of innumerable roads,” with her anchors, tell me that doesn't fit.
    Fits her situation.
    A ripoff of Trickster, using the name "Traveler." lol.

Prince Charon and Divabot like this.
  16. Threadmarks: Omake: Contract Negotiations
    Daunmi

Daunmi Shun the sun, night so nice

I'm not happy with it but...

“Too bad.”
    “No!” Tattletale, or Minerva or whatever that bitch was calling herself now threw her hands up as she shouted at me. “It doesn’t work like that!”
    “Too. Bad. They want me on the team. You guys want me on the team, even if you won’t admit it. Write it up.”
    “Look, Victoria,” if it wasn’t for my sister trying to keep Tattletale calm, this would have been hilarious... or hilarious-er anyway, “it won’t work. We’ve already got Zack and with the way his power works he tends to, well, run his mouth non-stop.”
    “I want the best lines. You want me.” Something seemed wrong with the room when I said that. I ignored it for the time being. “Ergo, supply and demand, to get me you have to give me the best lines.”
    That bug bitch wasn’t in the room itself, but the contract that had gone flying at some point after the little addendum was requested was being picked up by her things and placed back onto the desk. In order. I suppressed a shiver; there was just something wrong with the way she worked.
    “We can’t guarantee it.” Amy said. Amelia, I reminded myself. Wait...Oh shit, they’re going for it! “But... we’ll tell Zack to, I don’t know, ham it up I guess. Go for the corny lines when he can. You’ll have to do the rest yourself.”
    The top of my head almost fell off, I swear I was smiling that hard.
    “Write it into the contract and you’ve got yourself another cape!”

17. Cambrian

Cambrian The Pimperor - Inspirational as Fuck

Oh wow it was the Director of the PRT who baited in Pantheon all along was it?

Somebidy better pick up that phone because I FUCKING CALLED IT!

'Does a little victory dance'

On a serious note, awesome chapters as usual, you continue to prove to me that checking this story multiple times a day is not a waste of time!

And that last line from Victoria is gold

Navrin, TanaNari, Snake/Eater and 3 others like this.
  18. Alterego9

Alterego9 Know what you're doing yet?

Now Zach has the option to get a stereotypical Maffia Princess for his stereotypical anime harem.

19. Acaila

Acaila Making the rounds.

Am I the only one who caught this?

20. Daunmi

... Apparently throw away character not thrown away?

This is why I should read things repeatedly.

21. theBSDude

theBSDude Space Ace

I'd missed that he'd given her name, but I suspected it was her after her fangirling over Lily.

Navrin and TanaNari like this.
  22. tsuknoryu2986

tsuknoryu2986 Not too sore, are you?

Sneaky TanaNari. Be interesting to see Sabah in jealous girlfriend mode. Especially after seeing a comment on SB that makes her even scarier.

Basically what is the smallest she can use her power on?

Navrin, Divabot and TanaNari like this.
  23. Faraway-R

Faraway-R Getting sticky.

Acaila... I didn't catch that. Good catch.

I think that perhaps a messenger god name would fit her better than a name of a god of travelers.

Arianna is not exactly focused on the journey, as gods of travelers might be. She is all about sending things to destinations, be it to her vicinity from anywhere in sight (the messenger picks up the message), anywhere in sight from her vicinity (the messenger delivers the message), of from her vicinity to apparently nowhere.

I suppose Mercury could fit more than most... But I'd like to propose to call her Iris.

P.S. Especially considering that it's nicely misleading. I've known for a long time that "Iris" is rainbow-related, but messenger of the gods aspect was news to me.
    P.P.S. Bonus points is she is (if it's the same character) gay, and they use rainbows as their symbol...

Navrin, Zarohk, Divabot and 1 other person like this.
  24. Biigoh

Biigoh Primordial Tanuki Moderator

25. Grell23

Grell23 Making the rounds.

Damn it your making me like Vicky. Stop it!

No seriously great chapter. Order of operations was a little weird but it explained most of what was missing
    from the last one. And hey power synergy much?

Thanks for sharing,

G23

26. Snake/Eater

Snake/Eater Myth Maker of the North

I find it kinda repulsive that she rat out her entire family for some naive idea of right and wrong...she might be trouble for the founders of Pantheon.there's nothing worst then a rebel without a cause.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
  27. SwiftRosenthal

SwiftRosenthal Connoisseur.

Or we could see an OT3.

BlackBulletOfSeven and TanaNari like this.
  28. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

I sort of wonder if Arianna is going to get a crush on Victoria, now.

dasstan, daimahou and TanaNari like this.
  29. Daunmi

Well, wouldn't that be awkward for Amelia?

Then again, we've already got Taylia bringing together two very important shards so...
    ...why not throw the movement shard into the mix?

daimahou and TanaNari like this.
  30. dasstan

dasstan :)

So, seeing as it looks like Arianna will be joining Pantheon, time to speculate if her power can be synergized to make the shunting tech even more broken. From his chapter, we already know that her power, as is, does not cross dimensions. Maybe they can use the data they have on Sting and Theo's Supah-Metallu to piggyback her power's signal across all dimensions?

daimahou and TanaNari like this.