1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Amelia, Worm AU [Complete]

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by TanaNari, Jan 10, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Daunmi

Daunmi Shun the sun, night so nice

Since those two powers seemed to have issues mixing with each other due to they way the users couldn't properly bring the entirety of each effect into a single dimension (I believe the words used were something like "I can't see all of it." or something like that) there may be issues with Arianna acquiring a 'lock' on those types of objects.

And maybe there wont be and they'll all sit themselves in whatever dimension they damn well feel like next time an Endbringer shows up, not even shunting over for the fight, leaving the gathered capes standing around an Endbringer corpse wondering what the hell happened?

Hmm, it'd actually be a little bit funny if Pantheon and their various cape synergies kept prompting the Endbringers to spawn with new ways to get around whatever Pantheon is capable of... and accidentally left themselves completely open to utterly mundane damage. Oops?

2. Threadmarks: Amelia, Ch 212
    TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Amelia, Ch 212

I woke up in a nice hug. Taylor decided to be the big spoon... wait, when did she get all the extra arms? "Gah!" I shot up in my bed, only to drag the grasping arms with me. WorryConfusion. I looked down at the thing wrapped around me. Riley's damn spider. I tried to will my heart to stop beating so fast and took some slow, deep breaths. "Don't worry, Taylor, I'm fine." Then I slowly pealed the fuzzy little abomination's legs off of me. It purred at the attention I was giving it like the worlds friendliest, and dumbest, cat. I tossed the thing on my bed and hit the shower.

After that and getting dressed, I walked out where the ever friendly plant spider sat attentively on my pillow. I sighed. "Okay, Snowball, hop up." It climbed up onto me and wrapped its arms around me like a backpack while purring the whole time. I can't believe I'm saying this. "Don't worry, your mama will be home soon."

I walked out into the group area, still toting the albino furball. Lisa just looked at me. "Dammit."

"What?" I asked.

"Well, ordinarily I would have teased you mercilessly for this, but we actually have business to discuss today," she informed. "At least you won't need the coffee. It's already gone cold anyway."

"Blasphemy," I muttered as I took the pot and started pouring the lukewarm fluid into one of the disposable cups. "Coffee is life. And try working at a hospital. You learn to drink this stuff even if it's achieved a solid state."

"Your sister reports her mission as, and I quote, 'complete success, until government corruption fucked us'. Turns out, the PRT Director was responsible for the message we responded to. He didn't do the killings, he just doctored up a crime scene."

Oh god damn it. "Is this going to be one of those messes where we overthrow a PRT office and install our own puppet government? Because honestly that wasn't nearly as fun as I thought it'd be the last time. Now it just sounds like a headache."

"Nah," she replied. "Costa-Brown stepped in and saved the Director's ass. Vicky says she's 'fucking blackmailing us'."

"Is she?" I asked, then took a deep drink of my coffee.

"Pretty much," Lisa shrugged. "Slightly more polite than that. 'We wanna keep this guy, yadda yadda, we've ignored worse from your team's members, calling in the favor' stuff, no big deal. I'm not sure if the Director in question is one of Cauldron's agents or this is just a power play by Cauldron by holding it over the guy's head in the future. Either way, I talked with the Chief Director about it and very politely agreed with her assessment. Something was said about us doing them a favor, and that favors made good currency. You'll have to sell it to your sister later."

"Okay, that doesn't sound so bad," I muttered. Really didn't like us letting this kind of corruption slide, but such was our reality these days. "Anything else?"

"Yeah, Vicky's found a pet mob princess that she's inviting over for tea," Lisa added dismissively. "So, y'know, plan for a new roommate."

What? "What?"

"Her power's more like Lachesis than Trickster," Trevor kindly informed me. "Pretty sure she has a cousin Passenger."

"What's a passenger?" Arianna asked.

"I'll explain later," Vicky answered. "For now, they're just what powers come from. The detailed explanation is gonna take a few hours and a bottle of whiskey to wash it all down with. Then some more whiskey. Then another few hours because you forgot it all."

Trevor politely waited for them to finish, then started up again. "She compresses space and time, things go Taboo, and the target moves. If Lachesis' power works like a warp drive, then Arianna's is a wormhole generator."

I looked at him blankly. I wasn't surprised by the 'Taboo' part. Almost every power, if you analyzed its functions deeply enough, stumbled into 'Taboo'. Tinkers were the most obvious, preventing people from understanding the technology that might be used to fight the Entities. All powers that had to do with dimension warping ran into similar barricades. The Entities obviously feared what would happen if we could access Passenger dimensions. The blank look had nothing to do with that. "Explain it in layman's terms?"

"Her power works by creating a tunnel in space and time between two points," he answered. "It also temporarily accelerates her mental functions to process the information when her power's active, giving her the equivalent of several minutes to handle computing that would melt a supercomputer. This allows her to envision a scene, then scan the planet to find a matching location. She then generates a tunnel the physical size of a hydrogen molecule, compresses the target down to that size, moves them through the space between dimensions that we observe in the Labyrinth-Atropos interaction, and decompresses them on the other side. All in a span measured in nanoseconds. Like I said, wormhole drive."

"Holy fuck!" Arianna gasped. I agreed fully. "How do I do all that? I barely passed algebra!"

"It's actually only a fraction of what Khepri does," he added. "Passengers handle incredible amounts of information like it's nothing. This isn't anything new."

"Wow, way to make me feel special," Arianna pouted.

"And she has no Manton Limit?" I asked. Seriously, this could be gamebreaking.

"One," he replied. "Like Lachesis, she can't actually cross dimensions. Even right at the border of our gate, she can't cross it with her power. Not really a surprise. If she was capable of dimension jumping, she could accidentally teleport into any number of dimensions that look almost exactly like ours and never even realize it."

"Whoa..." Arianna muttered. "So there's an existential crisis waiting to happen. Good thing I'm used to those already. So now that we've tested my powers to exhaustion, am I on the team now? I'd like somewhere to put my stuff before the police sell all of it at auction."

"I'll find space to give you a room," I agreed. "We'll need a little bit of time before putting you on the team officially."

"Trust me," Vicky added. "You're not missing out on much. Our job basically consists of looking badass for the press. Pretending we don't know we're badass for the press. Avoiding the press. And making it very clear to the bad guys that we're totally badasses while our bosses are having snuggle time." Vicky had lifted up fingers as she went over each point.

"It's all here in this pamphlet that Zach made." she lifted up a sheet of paper that unfolded like a small map. "See this picture right here?" she tapped the paper. It was one of the photos of me and Taylor sitting under that tree at school. "Yeah, isn't it adorable? We have to make that look intimidating."

"Oh, I love that one!" Arianna agreed happily. "Especially the motivational poster one online!"

I actually facepalmed. God damn it. EmbarrassedAmusedProud. Glad you like it, I thought at my partner.

"Which one?"

"The 'For their one month anniversary, they gave each other a dead Simurgh' one," she chuckled.

"Really?" Vicky asked excitedly. "That one was totally my idea! I made Zach make it, but it's totally mine."

"Seriously?" she asked. "I've got a few ideas of my own! How does 'Diamonds are forever, Endbringers are for play' sound?" I cringed.

"It sounds horrible," Vicky answered with a deadpan voice. Oh thank god. "Which means it's perfect!"

God damn it, Victoria.

==============

A/N- A fun little chapter showing how the new girl's power and personality works.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
  3. Navrin

Navrin Experienced.

Fun update, TanaNari. Thanks. :) Arianna is adorable.

Also, more general character interactions that are fun and interesting.

Tenebrous Fantasies likes this.
  4. Daunmi

Daunmi Shun the sun, night so nice

"We only had one completely broken mover on the team. Welcome aboard!"

5. Divabot

Divabot KILL ALL THE HUMANS

LOL

I like this Vicky. She seems to have become way less of an asshole since discovering the miracle of ... introspection.

6. edale

edale Versed in the lewd.

Something tells me that there was something special about the "stick" Vicky had Arianna "teleport." My first thought Theo's power, and it worked... Which means she can transport multidimensional materials. We may finally have a way to transport Endbringers.:)

And Vicky continues to get the best lines.

7. Snake/Eater

Snake/Eater Myth Maker of the North

Vicky is still crazy but now she is channeling it in a new and less disruptive manner...online trolling.

8. dasstan

dasstan :)

Over dinner, perhaps?

9. CptTagon

CptTagon Prolific Writer

Amelia is so unreasonable. Who wouldn't want a giant spider to hug them while they're sleeping? In fact, I'm sure Lisa would be overjoyed if Fluffy and Zerg crawl into her bed one night.

10. SwiftRosenthal

SwiftRosenthal Connoisseur.

If you think about it, this makes perfect sense. One of Pantheon's founding members is a mob princess. What's one more, really?

11. dasstan

I know you're talking about Amelia, but it's a lot more fun if you pretend that you're talking about Taylor.

This whole time everyone assumed it was just "Dan" Hebert, when it was actually the New England accent's pronunciation of "Don"

12. Helpless Kitten

Helpless Kitten A dumb asexual cat

TanaNari
    You know, I think the dialogue is my favorite part of this story. The plot is cool and the action is neat, but you really bring the characters to life with the aimless chatter and interactions. Kinda reminds me of Buffy in a way... Minus the constant fear of cancellation. So, you know, bonus.

13. doomlord9

doomlord9 Experienced.

This, this right here. This is my kryptonite. It's why I can't write anything worth reading because it always comes out sounding like IKEA instruction manuals.

Having this done right is what keeps a story alive and fun to read even more than a good plot.

14. theBSDude

theBSDude Space Ace

Missing a word or something here.

TanaNari likes this.
  15. klattmose

klattmose klattmose

Anyone else notice that her name shortens to something very close to A Capella?

daimahou, Faraway-R and TanaNari like this.
  16. Deltawaves1

Deltawaves1 Getting sticky.

Ikea has instructions? All I see are the pretty pictures.
    And looking back makes me realize that I do the exact same thing.

17. Helpless Kitten

Helpless Kitten A dumb asexual cat

My advice on this would be something along the lines of this: English is a massive language with a fuck-ton of tools. We have more adjectives than any other language on the face of the Earth. Combine this with poetic expression and you have a billion and a half ways of saying the same thing. Your characters may be putting tab a into slot b but you should say it with descriptors and metaphors.

Almost delved into NSFW territory before I remembered that this isn't the worm ideas thread :p

18. Nigel Burnelli Isaacs

Nigel Burnelli Isaacs Not too sore, are you?

Very nice update, I like the explaination of Arianna's power just as I like her interaction with Victoria in the end, speaking of whom, she seems to be a lot better now...Now I hope you won't ship her and Arianna because while it has potential fro DRAMA! it is less so than shipping her with Brian, who would teach her to always look at the bright sight of life this plus an idea I had of their son and Theo and Riley's daughter coming to the past to do stuff.

19. dasstan

Riley wouldn't do that to her BFF. Instead, she'd just make it so the baby has three parents.

TanaNari likes this.
  20. Cyclone

Cyclone Disciple of Zor

Like this girl?

Prince Charon and dasstan like this.
  21. Snake/Eater

i got bored so i decide to see if there is a hidden meaning in any of the character's name like in those harry potter reference books
    Arianna means Chaste or very holy. Ariadne was a Greek mythological daughter of King Minos of Crete who aided Theseus to escape from the Cretan labyrinth after killing the Minotaur.
    Cappello in italian means trckster, in Late Latin capa meaning "cloak, cape". in spanish it's an occupational name for someone who lives or works in a Chapel.
    Zachary means Remembered by God or means if i have the translation right also means god laughs and Laughter.
    Theo in Greek means God given,in german it means Bold people.
    Amelia in Teutonic means defender, in saxon it's Industrious or Striving.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  22. Inverness

Inverness The Foxiest Wife

Twenty. I expect that if he became aware of the connection he would also know that Ziz is still alive and could probably repair her.

That's how you know you've passed the Godzilla Threshold.

doomlord9, daimahou, Xaliuss and 5 others like this.
  23. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

As I have said man, many, MANY times already: hell to the fuck no.

I don't think anyone even imagined the next one. The next chapter's gonna be fun.

Ehhh... that would be kinda tricky.

So would this.

Hah. Ahaha. AHAHAHAHA!!!!

See above.

And I find your taste in music to be god awful. Also, see above.

Vicky's still an asshole. But like most assholes, she can still get along quite well with people she likes.

Also: new chapter in probably an hour or so.

24. jcogginsa

jcogginsa Versed in the lewd.

Because of the dificulty formatting or other reasons? Because, IIRC, there is a PHO generator over on SB that i think takes care of the formatting

25. Nigel Burnelli Isaacs

Nigel Burnelli Isaacs Not too sore, are you?

Yeah I gathered

Yup, but then that's why I thought about it especially given that Lily seems to have quite an effect on Arianna, and well the Sabah/Lily relationship seems to be the most stable and healthy of the whole team(Theo and Missy come second because there is the whole thing with Riley and her feelings as well as the remnants of what Dreamgirl did to Theo)so of course they are in need of possible drama between them., I mean otherwise they would not really be part of the Pantheon right ?

TanaNari likes this.
  26. dasstan

If people really want a PHO interlude that badly, write a PHO omake, hew close to canon and see if TanaNari will shrug of god it.

27. Slayer Anderson

Slayer Anderson Orthodox Heretic

...I'm thinking Arianna's betrayal was less about 'turning over a new leaf' and more about the fact that she felt she wasn't getting the respect, power, influence, etc...and maybe there were plans to marry her off and/or 'breed' her.

So, Arianna's probably not looking to be a 'good person' so much as looking to gain power and influence.

...she could do a lot worse than joining Pantheon, so she'll probably be content with her status...

The inevitable attempt to grab power, possibly attempting to seduce either Taylor or Amelia.

doomlord9, Divabot, daimahou and 3 others like this.
  28. Snake/Eater

i could respect that motive... but trying to honeypot Taylor or Amelia looks very suicidal at first and second glance.brings a whole new meaning to the praise"i can take them".

29. Slayer Anderson

Slayer Anderson Orthodox Heretic

I didn't say it was going to *work* mind you...:p

Divabot, TanaNari and Snake/Eater like this.
  30. dasstan

Lisa: Honey, listen. I'm going to stop you here before you have another bright idea and get yourself killed.
    Arianna: Meh, I could t--mfmmuPFHFuuupp...
    Lisa: Shh, this way will be quicker.