1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Amelia, Worm AU [Complete]

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by TanaNari, Jan 10, 2015.

Tags:
  1. burningclaw2

burningclaw2 Dragon Boi of Justice

Good now.

Snake/Eater likes this.
  2. Simonbob

Simonbob Really? You don't say.

Fixed.

TanaNari and Snake/Eater like this.
  3. edale

edale Versed in the lewd.

I've always been under the impression that the shards edited the data out of short-term memory, while the host is thinking about a topic; once it hit long-term memory taboo was bypassed. This explains how Contessa's path to remember the trigger vision was to not think about it until she went to sleep (when short-term memory is transfered to long-term memory), at which point the memories would be permanent.

Also, Miss Militia's never needing to sleep aspect of her power implies that all data she learns is instantly transferred to long-term memory, as the very presence of a short-term memory with the inability to sleep would lead to insanity and eventually death. This explains her recollection of her trigger (assuming she didn't triple-trigger when she first triggered).

If they took the memories of Taboo subjects from someone who had third triggered, then isolated and copied those directly into long-term memory (as they do with their training upgrades), it might bypass taboo...though anything new learned would still be lost since the shard would still eliminate it.
    ALL shard limitations are imposed by either Zion or Eden.
    And now I have the image of Snake/Eater reading Amelia with his computer monitor upside-down, lol.
    I'm not saying you're wrong (yet), I'm just saying I don't recall anything like this. Citation?

4. The Shadowmind

The Shadowmind Well worn.

Danny originally had the QA shard but failed to trigger, it eventually went to Taylor. Leet's shard is trying to kill him, so it can jump-ship.

Divabot, TanaNari and Snake/Eater like this.
  5. edale

Citation on Danny originally having QA shard? I DEFINITELY don't remember reading that in canon (or any fanfics for that matter....), but I don't know all the WoG.

As for 1337's shard trying to kill him...I thought that was fanon, is that actually canon?

...and anyone that thinks Leet DIDN'T use 1337 for his YouTube account obviously doesn't get his character, lol.

Rapey_Lemons and Snake/Eater like this.
  6. Z000

Z000 If this is trash, then find me in the dumpster

Leet shard have a hate boner for him, cause he just keep on doing small stuff and not getting enough conflict

it want to jump ship to some one new, so it subtly sabotage everything he does, it kinda why his stuff explode rather than just shut down when it fail and why some of his decision kinda seem stupid

7. edale

I'm aware of that with 1337, I just thought that the shard wanted to kill him was fanon, not canon.

I'm more interested in citation that Danny used to have the QA shard.

8. Z000

it come from Scion himself, he sent it to Danny of all people

9. edale

And again, citation. At the very least what else was going on when that was revealed, so I can look for it myself.

Snake/Eater likes this.
  10. SwiftRosenthal

SwiftRosenthal Connoisseur.

Check Scion's interlude. If it's anywhere, it's there.

Lantalia and TanaNari like this.
  11. Z000

you actually have to read every word of that chapter and try to figure out what the heck is Scion talking about to even figure out what it mean

that chapter was a pain in the ass

12. edale

OK, reread every word of Interlude 26. Only mention of QA shard is that it was the last to be cast off before he assumed the form of his avatar.

NOTHING about it going to another host first, let alone Danny... Are you sure that's not just from a fic I haven't gotten around to reading yet?

13. toroidallizard

toroidallizard Making the rounds.

The future sight ability was given to Dinah. The thin male is Danny.

14. edale

FINALLY!!! Citation!
    Yea, that might not be something I noticed on my own until a 4th or 5th rereading...

15. Daunmi

Daunmi Shun the sun, night so nice

I did fail to address that.

Because it has nothing to do with what I said. At all. I specifically said 'parahumans'. Not 'people who might have become parahumans but didn't'.

I was replying to the idea of there being at most 'six degrees of separation' between anyone on earth, and saying that for parahumans, given the guaranteed connection of shards, you don't need that many.

People who don't get powers, for whatever reason, have absolutely nothing to do with my post. But at least this time what you said wasn't blatantly wrong, so you're getting there.

Snake/Eater and dasstan like this.
  16. Threadmarks: Amelia, Ch 241- Missy
    TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Amelia, Ch 241- Missy

I had to admit the party was fun. I considered going out to associate with the adults, be taken seriously, but I could only do that if I left Riley here alone. She was my best friend, and this would be her first Christmas since she was six years old that she'd be able to enjoy. That she'd be able to have surrounded by family and friends that cared about her. Of course I was going to stay with her.

I wonder if we could use our cloning tech to bring back Jack Slash. Being covered in acid and drowned in cockroaches was nowhere near a horrible enough death for that twisted bastard.

Riley, at least, seemed happy now. Not the false cheerfulness of Bonesaw or Aceso, but a simple contentment while spending time with her friends. We had, out of some mutual agreement, chosen not to do any major Christmas gifts. Simple trinket gifts like cute outfits, nothing more. We had an evening of just spending time hanging out and relaxing. Mostly by keeping the Tinkers away from their labs for a night. Which was a lot easier said than done.

"No, they totally got a thing going on," Zach insisted. "They even chased me out of my own bedroom."

"Zach," Emma sighed. "First of all, everyone chases you out of your bedroom. It's the only way to make you leave. Second, Sabah would kill them both."

"Well, that's one possible solution," Zach smiled. "But maybe they thought it'd be fun to add a little vanilla swirl to their- OW! Riley, you don't even- OW! Emma, seriously, what the hell?"

I laughed. The two of them were really good at reading each others' reactions with stuff like that. I still couldn't figure out why Zach still said something like that, it always got him in trouble for no reason. Then again, Zach joined in the laughter, too. Maybe that was the point.

"Besides, Vicky's into men," Theo pointed out. "And not even girly looking guys."

Ain't that the truth, I agreed silently. She and Dean had been quite the pair, much to my younger self's constant disappointment. It still hurt a little to think about him, though the last seven and a half months had eased the pain. He was a friend, and I still missed him dearly, but I no longer carried the torch for him that I used to. It helped to have so many good friends to support me, and a wonderful boyfriend.

"She turned me down," Zach pointed out.

"Dear," Emma said with exaggerated sweetness. "I think that proves Theo's point."

"Yup," Trevor agreed.

"Sorry Zach, it's true," I added.

"Ouch," he pouted. "Just when I think I might be able to have some self esteem of my own, you find and murder it in front of me. Using fire."

"Don't worry Zach," Riley offered. "By most standard of masculine attractiveness, you are actually measure quite satisfactorily. Symmetrical features, greater than average height and muscle build, no significant injuries, greater than average intelligence and emotional stability. Even with your health issues before acquiring your powers reducing viability by approximately twenty percent, you still average out at a seven point two four, with a twelve percent margin for error based upon the cultural and psychological preferences of the perspective mate."

"Why do I feel like I just went through FDA inspection?" Zach asked.

"She says you're cute, but you aren't her type," Emma offered, giving Zach a one armed hug. "Don't worry, you actually are my type."

"Huh," he replied. "I knew that sounded familiar. Well, since it's 'pick on Zach day', then I'm the one who gets to pick the movie."

"No," Trevor insisted. "You keep showing us these dumb ass movies from Aleph. That last one was utterly retarded. Alien invaders is cool and all, but why the fuck would anyone be dumb enough to terraform a planet that gives their entire species all the powers of Alexandria and Legend combined? Don't get me started on the parts that can be summed up as the single most poorly written Jesus allegory in the history of storytelling."

I found myself nodding in agreement.

"Well, at least it had awesome special effects?" Theo offered.

"I liked the dubstep cannon," Emma added.

"The whole point of watching Aleph movies is to laugh at how shitty they are," Zach argued. "That's what makes them fun. That and all those companies we've never heard of that pay for their businesses to be the ones that get blown up in the fighting. Truly, they are geniuses of product placement. Besides, this next movie's by a really good director. The guy who did Pan's Labyrinth. You all liked that one, didn't you?"

"Depends, what's it about?" I asked. Is this one going to make Riley cry, too?

"Well, it starts off with these giant robots and they fight..." Zach hesitated for a second. "Actually... now that I think about it, maybe we shouldn't see that one."

I was about to make a remark, but then a tunnel opened in the wall. Taylor stepped through, along with a girl that couldn't have been much older than ten. "Don't worry, she's safe," Taylor said as Riley moved to hide behind me. "Everyone, this is Dinah. She wanted to meet all of you."

"Good evening," the girl spoke up, walking more or less straight toward Riley. "I wanted to tell you how much I appreciate Typha. She's everything I hoped for and more. Your work is truly amazing."

"Thank you!" Riley responded excitedly. "I put a lot of work into making her perfect. Have you tried her roosting feature?"

"Yes, indeed," Dinah nodded. "I admit, I haven't used my actual bed ever since. She is indescribably comfortable."

Oh god, she is so adorable in her tiny little business suit trying to act all grown up! I paused for a second. Oh. Is this what everyone thinks when they look at me? No wonder the adults never take me seriously.

"Well, clearly you're getting along," Taylor spoke up. "I'd love to stay here with you, but I have to go back to the adults. They need to be supervised or they might actually start having fun."

"You have my deepest sympathies," Dinah responded. "If you see my uncle, let him know I'm busy and that I apologize for not having time to see him."

"I'll be sure to do that," Taylor agreed as she turned and left.

"We were just about to watch a movie," Riley informed the girl. "But since you're new, you can pick something."

"Don't let them fool you," Zach remarked. "She's only saying that so I don't get to pick the movie."

"I don't have a preference for movies," Dinah answered.

"We didn't get you any presents, either," Riley said apologetically.

"That's quite alright. Typha's the best present I've ever had," Dinah answered. "Besides, I am the guest here, you shouldn't have to get me anything. In fact, I should be the one bringing you gifts."

"Ooh, could you tell us the future?" Riley asked. "Like who I'm going to get married to? Can you do that."

She frowned for a second. "Not exactly. My prediction powers only give percentages and possibilities. I can tell you if you'll ever get married, and if you point someone out to me, I can answer if it'll be between the two of you, but I can't simply give you a name."

"Oh, I guess that works," Riley replied. "Will I-"

"Maybe you should wait on that," I interrupted. "Dinah's questions are really valuable. Like, huge, she probably charges thousands of dollars for each one."

"Fifteen," Dinah confirmed. "I sometimes offer discounts for bulk requests. In addition, Minerva and I have come to an arrangement to help counter my predictions of the end of the world. But the money isn't really a concern anymore. These days, my fees are more about dissuading people from coming to me at all than it is encouraging them to use me for their own purposes. And I'm taking something of a vacation."

"A vacation?" Trevor asked.

"Yes," she responded. "My parents feel I overwork myself and should focus more on relaxing and enjoying life. I refused to stop working on finding solutions or improving the numbers for the end of the world."

"It's good to have parents that worry about you," I agreed. Mine sure didn't, but at least I didn't have to worry about that anymore. It had taken some time for me to figure out how to make it work, but I convinced my mother that Pantheon was a paying job with responsibilities, and I was making a lot of overtime. Really, I was paying myself out of my share of the reward money for killing the Simurgh. It was more than I could ever imagine spending. So I used it to create excuses for me to spend all my time with my friends and the people who actually acted like a real family.

"It is," she agreed. "So I have enough power for everyone to ask a question, without any risk of tiring me out."

"You don't have to," I insisted. She reminds me of Riley, so eager to make friends that she'll offer them gifts like this. "We're not going to treat you any differently for not letting us use your power."

"You misunderstand," Dinah answered. "The numbers get better if you accept my offer."

"Numbers?" I asked.

"The end of the world," she answered. "It's a marginal difference, granted, less than a point oh one percent increased chance of stopping the end, and between fifteen to thirty thousand more survivors if the end occurs anyway."

"So, basically, if we don't start asking, we kill something like seven thousand people each?" Zach asked. "How the hell does that make sense?"

Dinah simply looked at him. "All I know is what," Dinah answered. "How and why are not things my power gives to me."

"Well, can't argue with that," Zach nodded. "Alright. So, what are the odds that two or more people in this room will participate inathreesomewitheachother." He spoke the last few words fast enough that he could complete the sentence before getting jabbed hard enough to dust and reappear.

"The hell is wro-" Emma started to yell at her boyfriend, but was interrupted by Dinah.

"Ninety four point seven seven three," the girl answered.

We all fell silent.

===============

A/N- The second half of this chapter is, in fact, already finished. You'll just have to wait until I choose to post it. :p

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  17. edale

Vicky, on the phone: "Mom, I need legal council...again. No, I didn't go mad with power and leave a trail of bodies in my wake....seriously mom, where are you getting this stuff? I'm seriously starting to think you're just messing with me... You can stop laughing now... At any rate, this one might be a bit difficult....You see, it's my contract again...but...it was Diana's power, I mean how do you even sue a multidimensional eldritch horror?"

On a side note, 3-way to save thousands of lives? What is this, Fate/Stay Night?

And I'm calling it now, Missy, Riley, and Theo will have a 3-parrented baby that impacts the end of the world somehow, lol.

18. bakapervert

bakapervert Getting some practice in, huh?

Anyone want to bet who is the one that going to do the threesome? My money is on Theo, Riley, and Missy.

Edit: Damn, imp'ed

19. tsuknoryu2986

tsuknoryu2986 Not too sore, are you?

I call Zach, Emma, and Crystal.

20. Ack

Ack (Verified Ratbag) (Unverified Great Old One)

Well, that's gonna cause some awkward silences.

21. Coruscant Knave

Coruscant Knave 'Twas love that did this to you.

Dinah the troll strikes again. More people cluing in on Zach's thinker rating. And Missy gets some perspective on how people viewed her. Hurray, character development.

Shit, Dinah was wearing a suit this whole time? Fuck, that's adorable.

22. Volkogluk

Volkogluk Getting out there.

Aha ! TanaNari liked this , which means it's maybe true !

He liked this too. >.>
    What sorcery is this ?!
    Wait ! His question didn't limit the answer to one threesome ! Which means BOTH can happen !

23. daimahou

daimahou Gentleman Tentacle(s)

So Zach, Riley, Emma, Theo, Missy, Trevor and Dinah are in the room right? Crystal is still outside...

24. Leonidas333

Leonidas333 Well-Known Murderhobo

I absolutely adore Zach. TanaNari, you've done an amazing job on creating him, and I couldn's stop laughing for a couple minutes. That was awesome. You've really done a good job on giving us these high points, and it really does help us empathize more with the characters.

25. Slayer Anderson

Slayer Anderson Orthodox Heretic

Zach's specific question was: "what are the odds that two or more people in this room will participate in a threesome."

So...<why not both.jpg>?

26. moontheir4

moontheir4 Nothing to see here. Move along.

While I know it's not as common, can't a threesome refer to a love-triangle instead of group sex? If so, "two or more people in this room will participate inathreesomewitheachother" is already true. Possibly twice over.

27. Threadmarks: Pretty Much Canon Omake: Alternate Questions
    Leonidas333

Leonidas333 Well-Known Murderhobo

Have an Omake! (Its my omake-virginity, you had better take responsibility)
    Title: Alternate questions:
    So many things flashed through his mind:
    "What is the chance that we succeed in averting the end of the world?"
    "What is the chance that I will outlive the rest of Pantheon?"
    "What is the chance that Lily recovers?"
    And the worst one of all:
    "What is the chance that by the end of this, I will regret it?"
    But that wasn't what was needed at the moment. He couldn't change the world with his power, hell, he could barely change himself. But he was able to help out anyway, by helping those who could. And right now they needed to break the ice.

"Alright. So, what are the odds that two or more people in this room will participate inathreesomewitheachother."

"Ninety four point seven seven three," Dinah answered.

Huh.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  28. SirKaid

SirKaid Know what you're doing yet?

Zach's question wasn't "what're the odds any given set of three people in this room will bang", it was "what're the odds at least two of the people in this room will be involved in the same threesome".

If Theo, Missy, and The Hot Chick They Met At The Club have a threesome it'll count. It doesn't rule out said hot chick being Adult Riley or Adult Dinah, but it's not required either.

Frankly, it's not surprising that the number's so high given that. I mean, threesomes are pretty much the tamest thing on the "cool sex things to brag about later" list and everyone there is a multimillionaire and a world-renowned hero; once they're not children they could walk into literally any club in the world and get as much ass as they want. So long as at least two of them are alive and interested after that point, it'd be simplicity itself to cross that off the bucket list. The five and a bit percent of it not happening is just the chance that they all die or end up hating each other.

That said, my bet on a threesome involving just the people in the room would be Theo, Missy, and Riley in a few years.

N0Way, Ryuketsu, TanaNari and 12 others like this.
  29. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Needs some editing and cleaning up. But, yeah, this is pretty much exactly what happened.

Congrats, your first gets to be canon.

N0Way, Ryuketsu, eNBious and 20 others like this.
  30. tEN

tEN Mischief Maker

This is the question that improves the numbers. With the Riley/Theo/Missy love triangle safely resolved, it doesn't tear them apart at a critical moment, and thus more lives are saved.