1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Amelia, Worm AU [Complete]

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by TanaNari, Jan 10, 2015.

Tags:
  1. cosoco

cosoco Not too sore, are you?

Taylor is feeling something (ShockConfusion), then Amelia thinks something (Oh, good for her), the associated emotion gets sent over the link, and Taylor reacts to it (CuriosityConcern).

Am I the only one who thought that was pretty clear?

2. Slayer Anderson

Slayer Anderson Orthodox Heretic

If the thought is being sent word-for-word, then that's something it's been covered Taylia hasn't been able to do. So...Taylia may be expanding past empathy to actual telepathy.

...or it might just be a formatting error.:D

3. powerofvoid

powerofvoid Versed in the lewd.

"Tayliapathy"? :3

4. Alterego9

Alterego9 Know what you're doing yet?

It's not a formatting error, conventionally thoughts are italicized, emotions are italicized an CamelCased.

PineTreeq and TanaNari like this.
  5. Beyogi

Beyogi I trust you know where the happy button is?

Yeah no shit. At this point I'm surprised Pantheon hasn't ganged up on her to get her some relief.

6. powerofvoid

powerofvoid Versed in the lewd.

I dunno, I feel like cuddling + masturbation would cover those needs.

Prince Charon, Lupercal and TanaNari like this.
  7. Sheaman3773

Sheaman3773 (Unverified Writer)

was already nothing out of the norm*?
    This is a pretty amusing use of his power. He really is pretty egotistical...in a way that might raise flags, if Pantheon hadn't already essentially corrupted their way to the top.
    Anything he saw should be in the reports, but eh, just covering for him.
    And the blurring continues.
    Incorrect grammar.
    You just enjoyed making Tagg say the wrong thing, didn't you? :p

Navrin, Divabot and TanaNari like this.
  8. dasstan

dasstan :)

hem, hem
    I think that maybe people didn't pick up on the first clue, so TanaNari decided to go with the good ol' clue by four. Or, you know, formatting error.

Alexandercctv and TanaNari like this.
  9. Snake/Eater

Snake/Eater Myth Maker of the North

This chapter's song is totally dedicated to Calvert....can anyone guess the song?It's The Rolling Stone's "Sympathy for the Devil" as covered by Guns N' Roses .because nobody can guess Coil's game not even ZIZ....
    I'm calling Coil "THE Devil"

10. dasstan

What does that make canon Skitter and this fic's Amelia, Skitter, Riley and Lisa?

TanaNari and Snake/Eater like this.
  11. Snake/Eater

Canon Skitter is the Beast,the others are the heavenly Four angels of the Apocalypse.:)Calvert just got his hearts truest desire....guess what that is? Coil was just one dimensional villian,but Calvert he was interesting and a very multi-faceted character as a diamond for any story.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  12. edale

edale Versed in the lewd.

Actually, it's a VERY modern view. After all, historically 13 isn't just the age where you reach adulthood; it's also when you hit marriageable age Most weddings actually happened between the ages of 13 and 16. It was very common, normal even, for an 18 year old woman to already have multiple children. Only the past 200 years or so where that's changed.
    They knew.
    I knew Manton's daughter died, but I don't think they ever expanded on how, and never saw any clues his daughter was Custodian.

13. Snake/Eater

If Manton had really cared for Riley,then he would have made deal with Cauldron to erase Riley's memories and put her in witness protection.because the Siberian was more useful alive for the fight against Scion.but he did not do a thing because in the end he was just a monster pretending to be human.

J_Killcrazy, Diller, daimahou and 2 others like this.
  14. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

I thought it made sense.

Nope, quite intentional.

However- this *is* the first time I blended it that way. I made a decision to do this, now, when I had actively avoided it before.

Sheaman3773, Pathos, evildice and 2 others like this.
  15. TatsuZZmage

TatsuZZmage Know what you're doing yet?

Ok, so 3 things.
    Nilbog left something like a "cave troll" for em then?
    I'm now picturing the prt armors as warframes.
    And Dragon is now voiced by Karan S'jet when I read her.
    I had 4th then i forgot it.

Divabot and TanaNari like this.
  16. evildice

evildice (emotionally stable clown posse)

Lisa: "The first thing you built out of EBK tissue is a dildo!?"

Emma: "We're calling it Dilation Time."

"The peer pressure to engage in sex will continue until you feel relief."

I see no possible issues with this plan.

17. DeAnno

DeAnno Power over Versatility

At a certain point, the only reasonable solution is to clone Lisa and lock the two of them in a room.

18. dasstan

Sounds like a great way to lock the shard in a loop. Like some sort of Lovecraftian game of 'I know you know I know', with the shard recursively inferring things about the things it is inferring, about itself.
    Time to see if we can make a shard trigger!

19. Snake/Eater

i'm surprised nobody besides dasstan commented about "sympathy for the devil"i thought it was cute.plus everyone loves 20th century classical music:D

that would be the scariest thing on earth to do,but then i realized it could get worst nine months later.....:eek: the horror....the horror....

At this point my only regret is that i can't make a awesome fan nickname for Eric or Emma.

i'm curious where this arc is taking us(the readers)

20. dasstan

Barren Maiden, Fruitful Mind? I got nothing for Eric.

TanaNari likes this.
  21. evildice

evildice (emotionally stable clown posse)

Lisa: "My own clone!"

Also Lisa: "Now both of us will be virgins with headaches!"

22. Andrew Greaves

Andrew Greaves Wonderseeker

So, is Team Eleven supposed to be entering the central chamber at ground level, or establishing a defensive point at one of the entrances?

Snake/Eater and TanaNari like this.
  23. Snake/Eater

Lisa/Clone!Lisa - ship names "Double Trouble","The Lovers" or "Gemini¿"

24. dasstan

"Get me a fucking pain killer right now before I fourth trigger with GODDAMN BLASTER POWERS JESUS CHRIST"

25. GiftofLove

GiftofLove A Gift From The Heart

This is actually an interesting thought given Dragon triggered. If a shard becomes human enough, can it trigger? Such as QA thinking itself a real girl.

26. abyssmal_kismet

abyssmal_kismet Experienced.

I think the shard itself, or some portion of it, would have to be in the same dimension as someone that has a shard for them to bud off of, or at least in a dimension sanctioned by Scion. Somehow I doubt Scion sanctioned for seeding the dimensions he closed off for holding shards. That said, if someone opened a portal to a world holding a shard, I fully expect one with a developed-enough personality could trigger.

Snake/Eater and Divabot like this.
  27. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Going by WoG, this is a "kinda/sorta". He described shards as already being composed of "smaller shards" to begin with.

Since shards essentially plant a small portion of their abilities into hosts... and we already know for a fact that a shard can give powers to other shards (see the fact that Imp got the shard that lets all the other shards enforce the memory block functions, and she uses it to be forgotten).

I don't think you could call it a trigger as it works in parahumans. But. Yeah. Shards canonically share powers with each other.

28. DeAnno

DeAnno Power over Versatility

One almost wonders if the "triggering" ability evolved from the Shard-to-Shard power sharing. It seems like a more obvious, earlier adaption to be able to share abilities between the creature's own parts than to be able to share them out to a different species.

Sheaman3773, Navrin and TanaNari like this.
  29. Threadmarks: Amelia, Ch 246
    TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Amelia, Ch 246

"I must admit, they are impressive," Secretary Brown agreed. "Some of them took punishment that would have demolished a tank. How easily can they be manufactured?"

ConcernSuspicion. "The models you're seeing there are special," Taylor informed the man. "Significantly more difficult to produce than the standard models, requiring advanced tinker tech and rare materials. You won't see more than one or two per major city. The standard M7s aren't nearly as capable, but their ease of production more than makes up for it."

"That is a pity," he replied. "They are a significant force projection, and could be used to achieve stability in areas that badly need it."

He's talking about deploying them to other countries, I realized. "There's also the range considerations," I added. "They require tinker tech relays to extend their range past a couple hundred meters."

"The control mechanism you use for the anti Endbringer creatures seems to have a much longer reach," he pointed out.

"Those are under my direct control," Taylor responded. "My power does the work."

"Control over arthropods, I recall," he responded.

"Those weapons are, functionally, nothing but large insects," I added. "Their bodies are heavily modified, of course, but the brains are only a little more advanced than what you might expect from a cockroach or jumping spider." Which is still exponentially more advanced than the best non-tinker computers ever designed. But 'really big cockroach' is less disturbing than the idea of a perfectly programmed war machine that has no instinct except to hunt and kill. Not even the instincts needed to protect themselves or recognize danger.

"Fascinating," the man replied. At this point, I imagine he was just fishing for whatever information he could gather. We hadn't told him anything that wasn't already part of our records, though I didn't know for certain if he'd read them or not. "Are those as difficult to build as the M7s we saw today?"

"A great deal easier, honesly," Lisa responded. "Most of the difficulties we see in producing the remote robots are a matter of control and relaying information. These are things that Taylor's power handles for her, allowing us to circumvent a significant amount of the efforts. In addition, thanks to Taylor's ability to process information, we don't have to include the same fidelity of senses in our EB weapons. Only one needs echolocation or infrared senses to serve for an army of thousands. While the M7s need every model to have every feature to be effective."

I could imagine every one of the Directors memorizing every word that was just said, trying to discern a weakness in what they'd just been told. Costa-Brown, I was certain, knew better. She understood the implications of our true threat. We didn't need to use the zerg as our main force. In fact, against anything that wasn't a city breaker, they were functionally useless. The modified insects, easily grown by the millions and utterly unobtrusive, were the true weapons at our disposal. Why use a massively visible monster, when instead you could make a billion mosquitoes that produced a custom variant of botulinum for the same amount of mass, and with so much less effort?

That's right, focus on the showy monsters we take out on parade. Pay no attention to the real threats behind the curtain.

"Of course," I added. "We would never deploy them on another nation's soil without the direst of need," I added. "They are meant as a deterrent, in case a foreign power feels a desire to attack us. And, of course, to fight the Endbringers."

"That is why we're putting such effort into creating the M7s," Taylor backed me.

"I understand you plan to give similar designs to other nations?" he prompted.

"Of course," I replied. "We see them as a form of humanitarian aid. That's why we maintain ownership, only lending instead of selling or even leasing. If a nation attempts to use them in a manner we're not comfortable with, we can easily disable them. Avalon wants to remain as politically neutral with Bet and its colony worlds as is humanly possible. Providing law enforcement tools is one thing, but we will not allow them to be turned into weapons of war." We're also pulling the exact same trick on you as we did with the sewers of Brockton Bay. Please don't notice that, either.

"Pardon the interruption," Dragon spoke. "They're nearly finished with the initial sweep of Nilbog's lair."

"I look forward to discussing this further," he told us before we turned our attention back to the immediate matter.

"We've found what appears to be Nilbog," one of the soldiers informed us. "I'm not a forensics expert, but he appears to have died of unknown causes, quite a while ago. He's frozen solid."

"You mean that thing in the building wasn't him?" Calvert asked.

"Sort of, sir? It'll be easier for you to see for yourself."

The viewscreen switched to the gruesome sights inside Nilbog's former home. Blood and unidentifiable gore coated the walls.

The main weapon for the M7s were sonic disruptors, due to their combination of nonlethal low settings and effectiveness against a huge array of potential powers. For whatever reason very few parahumans were resistant to sonic attacks, and a great many were especially vulnerable to them. Those weapons, when turned to lethal settings, tended to make bone tissue explode violently. The resultant mess was something normally reserved for bad horror movies. Somehow, it was less nauseating than what the goblins were doing before they were slaughtered.

We got a look at the frozen clone of Rinke that I had made. It wouldn't have been good enough to fool a really good test, if not for the damage caused by freezing and mild amounts of decomposition. The combination of which, plus any possible medical records of the man being over a decade old. It would fool almost anyone who didn't point some very specific parahuman abilities at the body, and our allies with Cauldron would make sure that didn't happen. It was connected to the destroyed bloated monster by a weird umbilical cord like growth.

"Well, guess that explains why our plans suddenly started working," Lisa quipped. "If he was already dead, of course he couldn't create new adaptive monsters to fight back effectively. Or a plague of mutant bacteria. Or whatever it was he kept doing that we couldn't find a way around."

"You didn't think to check?" Armstrong asked.

"That the target died of natural causes a few weeks after we started planning the mission? Or checking on plans we were told wouldn't work after finding one that would?" Lisa asked. "No, we didn't think to waste Dinah's very finite resources on such questions. Her power promised us a victory, and we got our victory."

"If I may," Calvert spoke up. "The objective being achieved by happenstance before the attack even began is irrelevant. The fact is, we retook Ellisburg. It's hard to consider this anything but a successful mission."

"If it makes you feel better," Lisa added. "There's no need to mention he was already dead. Your troops went in. Defeated Nilbog's monsters. Came back with a dead Nilbog. Everyone break out the good champagne."

"You both make excellent points," Costa-Brown agreed. "The operation was everything we wanted to achieve, even if not the way we expected. If anything, we can consider this a greater victory for Nilbog's death being discovered now, instead of in a month or two when he thawed out and really started to decompose."

Lisa's eyes widened. "She's right. Nilbog must have some kind of deadman's switch. Maybe it wasn't triggered due to the whole natural causes thing, but if we didn't act when we did, we might have faced the same... whatever... that caused the deaths seen in Dinah's predictions. Only worse because we wouldn't have been ready and anticipating the event. Don't think of this as not killing Nilbog. Think of it as disarming a ticking timebomb."

AmusementDismissive. I agreed with Taylor. You're hamming it up a bit, Lisa.

"Message received," the Secretary replied. "We'll keep this detail out of the public awareness. It wouldn't do anyone any good to have civilians wondering just how things might have gone if circumstances were slightly different."

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
  30. Coruscant Knave

Coruscant Knave 'Twas love that did this to you.

There's no author's note. I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M SUPPOSED TO THINK ABOUT!

*Deep breathes* Okay, I'll... I'll try.

Hahahahahahahahahahahaahahhaaha
    I don't quite get this line. The sewers... she put relays through it.. and used it to scavenge resources. What am I forgetting, and how does that relate to what they're doing during this Op? Or is it just a reference to the fact that they are stealing Nilbog out from under them?