1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Amelia, Worm AU [Complete]

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by TanaNari, Jan 10, 2015.

Tags:
  1. GiftofLove

GiftofLove A Gift From The Heart

Abusive relationships are no laughing matter.

"But we can change him!"

2. dasstan

dasstan :)

[​IMG]
    "But I love him!"
    "You don't even know him!"

3. Threadmarks: Amelia, Ch 252
    TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Amelia, Ch 252

"Lisa," I sighed. "Can I ask you a question?"

"Clearly you can," she replied.

"Where did you find an actual VCR?"

"Online shopping," she replied. She pressed the power button and the viewscreen started up.

"Okay, make that two questions," I rubbed my hand over my face.

"You mean three questions," she answered as she pressed play and the scene started, with one of the news cameras in a language that I didn't recognize, although it mostly had the same characters as English. The man speaking wasn't an English dub over, either.

"Why do you have a VCR?" I asked. Taylor set her hand on the small of my back. On my other side, Riley was cuddling against me as well. After Danny left, she'd come out of hiding. Because, unlike me, she was smart enough to know who was in the room before she did something stupid.

"Well, I recently made my first Billion dollars," she replied. "And I asked myself 'what do you do to celebrate becoming a billionaire?' The obvious answer was to spend money on something stupid and useless. Since I didn't want to house train a pet rock, and it turns out you can only lease politicians, not actually buy one outright, I opted for this."

"It doesn't even actually work," Taylor replied. "She has a remote control system built into the TV system that reads her facial expressions. I'm not sure how much that cost, but we can't even use it because it only recognizes her face."

"My office, my screen to do whatever I want with," she quipped. "Now shut up, the party's about to begin."

We watched as the zerg started shunting in, including the new breed. The Phalanx were something our Tinkers had been quite proud of, a large dog sized monster capable of casting out Khonsu's forcefield as a wall. Not much alone, but put a few of them together, and they could soak up a lot of punishment. They were meant for our anti-Leviathan fight. Maybe even Barghest as well, while we were at it. A way to box in their movement and block their area attacks.

Then the ground rippled, like a splash in a pond. It traveled up the sides of buildings, wrapped around corners. Metallic blades followed after, streaming through the air and slamming into the forcefield projections. Most held, and the ones that caved didn't do much damage. Endbringer insulated Zerg were living up to their promised durability. The Endbringer itself appeared out of nowhere. It was gigantic, in a strange sort of way. More like huge, thin, pillar.

"Another teleporter?" I asked.

"Not exactly," Lisa replied. "It's a space warper. Creates a pocket for itself between points and then folds space in on that pocket to create a curtain it hides behind. Missy's already working on using a version of it, herself. Invisibility and being able to see or even walk through walls are on the list of things she thinks she can do now that she's seen what Bohu does with its power."

The terrain started to mutate where the ripple had passed. The features looked like the industrial level on one of those games Zach played, filled with blades, spiked death traps and terrain made entirely of jagged metal. Zerg regularly found themselves falling into holes, and then being trapped inside, forcing other zerg to spend time pulling them out. The flyers had a better go of it, hammering into the Endbringer from the skies.

Then the other one appeared. She looked more or less like a woman, but with four arms each ending in nasty looking claws. She also had three faces on her head, making her look more than a little bizarre. They were blank at first, and the creature didn't do much other than get knocked around. Alexandria actually slammed Tohu into the side of her brother/pet/other half/whatever and started kneeing her in the face as her claws tried to peel away Alexandria's suit.

It was built off her own biology, and thus as indestructible as she was. The spiked shin guards and other features meant to give her increased combat effectiveness were doing their part, however, leaving nasty gouges in Tohu's face. Then a claw cut through the armor, and took Alexandria's leg off at the knee. The woman drew back, and I could imagine how shocked she was. In all her prior battles, only Siberian had managed to injure her, and that included dozens of Endbringer conflicts.

Tohu emerged from the indent made into the side of Bohu, and I recognized Atropos' costumed face. A serene black face mask with its eyes closed. People started falling back at that point, and the Zerg surged forward, along with a few of the Dragon suits. The Endbringer spent the next few minutes cutting its way through the attackers, its every touch equivalent to Lily's charged weapons. Zerg fell like ribbons.

Lily herself took the front lines, and we got at least one pleasant surprise. Hers and Tohu's powers negated each other. She could hurt the Endbringer, and it couldn't get through her armor to injure her. Until it punched her hard in the gut and she shunted back to Avalon.

Eidolon, Victoria, Crystal, Legend, and a few I didn't recognize hit it with a stream of energy blasts, apparently a combination of freeze-laser and sonic burst were involved, causing massive explosions and cutting into her shell. A clawed hand was blown off by a particularly good combo.

A second face formed on Tohu, Taylor's. The zerg froze. Occasionally one would act, usually to attack someone nearby. But none moved more than a couple seconds at a time. They were functionally removed from the battle.

"I... think I was fighting it," Taylor spoke, sounding more than a little upset by this part of the scene. I coudn't blame her. "Keeping it from taking control. I wish it would have worked better. That I had time to realize what would happen next."

There was another ripple, and a wash of blades that slammed into the unshielded, unmoving zerg. None were damaged too much, but the way they stood there ignoring the impacts was caught by the cameras. I almost asked how the cameras weren't being destroyed, then I realized how stupid that question was. "They wanted this to be seen on film?" I phrased it as a question, but I already knew the answer.

"Near as I can guess," Lisa answered. "We always talk about Ziz as the one who plays mind games, but that's not true. They all do. It's just that she was the least subtle about it. The next part really clinches it, however."

A flat area formed where buildings and traps use to be, and Tohu landed in the middle of it. A second later, most of Pantheon was suddenly there in the center. Tohu lashed out immediately, catching Taylor in the face. My fiancee and I clutched hands tighter. This is the second time I watched her die.

Then the Zerg turned on us. One of the gargants stomped on my suit and it was clearly fatal to anything in the armor. Riley whimpered and buried her face in my shoulder. I had to wonder how she survived, being in the suit as well. But given the way she'd modified her own body, I guess it wasn't too much of a stretch. Theo wrapped himself, Missy and Sabah in his liquid metal effect. The pair of them were given small gaps to find their weapons through. Turns out, Sabah's power does a remarkable amount of damage against Endbringer tissue. The trio even managed to destroy a few of the zerg in the immediate area.

The Dragon suits, in an uncomfortable mirror of the Simurgh fight, also took to attacking the zerg. Clad in the same Endbringer based armors, they were remarkably evenly matched. Cannons against tusks, servos agaist biomechanical muscle. The zerg probably would have won on numbers alone, but the Endbringer decided it wasn't so patient as to wait for that.

Somehow, the cameras kept rolling, and even picked up the screech of Tohu's third chosen power, the scream I knew as Shatterbird. The armor ceased functioning and a storm of glass broke from the suits and the parts of the city that hadn't been converted to mechanical death traps. A mass of it came to touch range of Tohu. And then she rained it down on the heroes. It perforated Theo's shell and I could tell there wouldn't be any survivors in there. The zerg, no longer slowed by Dragon's weapons and driven by the Endbringer's will, unleashed everything they were capable of.

A couple minutes of this, of Riley and Taylor holding onto me for dear life while I was too busy staring in stunned horror to have any reaction at all. That's how long it took before the zerg vanished, with a few exceptions of ones that had been damaged enough that their shunt drives had shattered.

"That's when Trevor got everyone out, as best he could. Once on the other size the zerg went back to passively waiting for commands," Lisa narrated. "Somewhere during that glass storm, Crystal, Zach and even Victoria were hit. Along with dozens of other people."

The other defenders were driven back, until Eidolon and Victoria, the left half of her costume missing, were the only ones close enough to do any fighting. I did my best not to ogle my sister's slightly more than partial nudity. Instead focusing on how the fight itself. The way they moved was eerily similar. "He was using a copy of her power for this, wasn't he?" I asked.

"Exactly the same power," Lisa confirmed. "Reflexes, combat sense, the whole nine yards."

The terrain shifted again, and people were vomited from the ground, only to be slaughtered by the blade traps in almost cartoonishly gory fashion. Some of them were close enough to the cameras that their screams could be heard.

"Fucking christ," I muttered. "Those were the people in the shelters, weren't they?" No one answered me, but then, they didn't need to. I already knew the answer.

The fight continued. Despite the fact that the city was lost, and only two heroes remained on the battlefield, the fight continued. The pair of them coordinated beautifully, their combat precognition keeping them perfectly in synch as they used their attacks to do what little damage could be done. Eidolon's attack seemed pretty damn effective, stripping layers off the monster.

"That lasts another few minutes," Lisa informed me. "This tape's been edited."

There was a sudden change of scene. Vicky and Eidolon were still there, and then Vicky vanished. The glass storm turned toward him alone. And then it stopped, all the blades falling to the ground. Eidolon started glowing, and the environment started to simply vanish around him, spreading slowly outward. The traps collapsed liked they'd been reduced to water that was then turned to steam, and the Endbringers themselves started to melt. Then the cameras, finally, stopped working.

"What the fuck was that?" I asked. "Right there at the end? I thought he was running out of power."

"That's the full actualization of Eidolon's newest favorite power of choice," Lisa answered. "His copy of what Emma uses to access her hybrid mode. It steals power from the environment and lets him recharge his batteries. And when I say 'power', I mean 'all of it'. Heat, electricity, momentum, the forces holding molecular bonds together, gravity. If it's made of energy, it's fair game."

"Did... did he kill the Endbringers?" I asked.

"No way of knowing right now," Lisa replied. "They vanished. But whether turned to subatomic dust, or retreated to their wherever they hide, we won't know until a year or so passes."

======================

A/N- Yeah. Tohu and Bohu are assholes.

Eidolon has a very showy disintegration power that actually grants him more energy instead of depleting it. So things are looking up on the anti-Scion front?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  4. GiftofLove

And then Eidolon hit the breakthrough he's desperately been searching for.

Mission accomplished, Endbringers. Now what?

5. Deltawaves1

Deltawaves1 Getting sticky.

What I want to know is what eidolon will do to out himself as the endmaster...

6. DeAnno

DeAnno Power over Versatility

You mean finding an Endbringer he can be the hero for instead of Pantheon right? In a way, this whole battle and the way it ended is another very subtle clue that Eidolon is the Endmaster.

7. Snake/Eater

Snake/Eater Myth Maker of the North

Everyone is now totally F%#$ED and they don't even know the half of it.To go with this chapter here's a new musician hitting the Blues rock scene with a song with a very appropriate Question for the readers and characters of this story. this is Reignwolf's "Are You Satisfied?" ...because i am:)

8. Flammy

Flammy Gone for Good

Now the Endbringers take it up to "medium" difficulty...

9. doomlord9

doomlord9 Experienced.

Medium? This is them switching from "Tutorial" to "Very Easy". All of the Endbringers are jobbing so hard they might as well be asleep since all of them with a tiny bit of effort can have a "You are within range of my power, you die" field.

Levi would just make everyone pop, Ziz would pulp brains, Behemoth's toasty-fry kill aura would be his 2km range at minimum, Barghest would never stop porting and decapitating, Konshu would make the time circles pop up right underneath his target and make them dozens of km in diameter each, Bohu would make an area 300km wide by 300km long by 100km tall into a blender with barely a cm of space between the 5 molecule wide blades, and Tohu is only special because she has a whole array of 'fuck you, everything dies' options available to her.

10. dasstan

:D
    Well that's interesting. Pantheon is aware that Eidolon is capable of straight up power duplication. Only a matter of time, now.

11. pheonix89

pheonix89 Wanna be game dev

No, Tohu's worse than that. She doesn't bother with a fuck you, everything dies area (not sure she can given the lack of capes who can do that). She pulls out Contessa.

12. GiftofLove

Contessa, Eidolon, Taylor

I win. I have all powers. I have unlimited multitasking.

13. doomlord9

doomlord9 Experienced.

Nope, worse than that. The 3 power limit is an arbitrary limitation, if she felt like it she could imitate a crippled Entity and just connect to all of the damaged shards that were sent out at the same time.

Remember there are no real limits for the Endbringers, they are as close to the fully realized potential of a shard as you can get. They were right to give Taylor an Endbringer name at the end of canon, she was as close to being one as she could get while remaining in her frail meat body.

14. dasstan

Ci..tation...needed?

Where are you getting this from? She's only ever shown copying individual powers.

15. jcogginsa

jcogginsa Versed in the lewd.

Nooooo, when Tohu went all out she was limited to three capes

Ryuketsu, Faraway-R, Divabot and 7 others like this.
  16. Peanuckle

Peanuckle Versed in the lewd.

Endbringers: "Mission accomplished. Let's go dig Ziz out of her hole and party it up someplace. We can send dad pictures."

I'm liking the politics and world-building (literally!) more than the fight scenes. It's basically broken down to "Start out with Pantheon doing pretty well, then the Endbringers pull out their trump card and kill everyone. Resurrect at base. Repeat."

17. doomlord9

doomlord9 Experienced.

Yes and I didn't understand it then either. Why only 3? She doesn't have a squishy flesh body to worry about overloading since all the work is being done by the shards themselves. All she's doing is temporarily hacking into the connection a cape has to their shard and co-opting it for her own use, there's no reason for her to have a limit like that except that's what Eidolon thinks would be difficult but not impossible to fight.

Tenebrous Fantasies and Divabot like this.
  18. Mogget

Mogget Know what you're doing yet?

I can't help but think it won't be long before Lisa puts the pieces together, that's her thing after all.

1: Pantheon kills an Endbringer
    2. Pantheon useless against next EB, Eidolon revives everyone, is hero
    3. Pantheon ineffective, announces new world, could save everyone
    4. Endbringer kills Pantheon, Eidolon is big hero

There's sort of a pattern there. It's kind of muddled, but I think the author could decide at any point now to have Lisa figure it out., the data points are all there, it's just a matter of narrative. IMO.

19. abyssmal_kismet

abyssmal_kismet Experienced.

Interestingly, if Lisa does realize, she might not realize it's not on purpose, and is all subconscious.

20. dasstan

So, just to clarify, you have no basis for your previous claim besides "Well, it shouldn't be like that."

Also, the Endbringers come premade. We know this from the glimpse into what the future was like when Eden survived. They are conflict driving engines, not weapons of war to be used against other entities. They don't need to have unlimited powers to foment conflict, they just need to be tough enough. To over engineer would be a waste of energy.

21. jcogginsa

jcogginsa Versed in the lewd.

No, they don't. What with Eden having had no time to make the things, and them being designed for a completely different purpose than what Eden intended

22. the DragonBard

the DragonBard Creator of Worlds

At least until they set up a means to take him down, and his reaction when confronted makes her go "... you didn't... Oh my God, you never realized... "

23. dasstan

Premade Endbringers make sense if you consider that they are one less variable Eden has predict. 20 little superweapons that they slap some cosmetics onto for use during the cycle.

Unless you're saying that Eidolon's power flat out makes endbringers, instead of summoning them for use...?

24. Snake/Eater

Snake/Eater Myth Maker of the North

if that happens,i don't think "Flirtin' With Disaster" is in the cards for Lisa and Becky.....:(

TanaNari and Alexandercctv like this.
  25. Spetz N9ne

Spetz N9ne Making the rounds.

I actually like this upgrade for Eidolon better than the canon "I'll just refuel on living capes" version. That one was still not great, since there is a finite number of capes that he could harvest. While the same is technically true for this new power, I'd be willing to bet that there is more literally-any-kind-of-energy floating around then there are shards to harvest. Plus this power doesn't lessen the number of bodies available during a possible Golden Dawn scenario.

26. Finbar

Finbar I trust you know where the happy button is?

SpetzN9ne has it right.....

Of course, I am curious...... does that power Increase the entropy of the Universe thus is the anti-power for what the entities want to achieve?

27. edale

edale Versed in the lewd.

And this is how someone's inane SoD joke causes ½ a chapter to take form.
    And this is where I lost it. Poor Vicky was so busy laughing that she couldn't complain about the contract violation.
    ...You have no idea how long I just spent on looking for a clip of Eight Trigrams Sixty-Four Palms, including Neji saying "You're within the field of my divination." I even tried making one myself, unfortunately the episodes I have are MKV, and none of my video editing programs can handle those...
    Except the mission was to allow Eidolon to prove himself in battle...and the Endbringers came around LONG before Eidolon started losing his powers.
    It's never stated whether Eidolon's power-recharge in canon killed the parahumans it fed off of; or if it removed their powers from them; or if they even noticed it. It's quite possible Eidolon was simply feeding off the spare energy the parahuman's shards possessed, since the majority of their power WAS restricted from being used (through damage or crippling, see Scion Interlude). Also, it's not the capes Eidolon is recharging from, it's the shards themselves, and only the living ones, meaning Zion's shards, since all of Eden's were dead...
    Reread the Scion Interlude, Entropy is not the issue, it's the Entities outgrowing the Universe; they proliferate too quickly. Each cycle is shorter because there are more, larger, Entities; not because they're running out of energy in the Universe.

28. Inverness

Inverness The Foxiest Wife

Holy fuck, Eidolon basically copied Scion's wavelength-cancelling power, except he absorbs the energy to refuel his own. That's a big fucking deal since Scion uses that power in different ways for all kinds of shit. There is some WoG somewhere that elaborates on this.

Well Scion could have been absorbing the energy himself but we don't know.
    The Endbringers don't have unlimited power. Tohu having 3 faces that mimic the faces of those she chooses to copy is a pretty damn good indication that she can only choose up to three powers. There is nothing to suggest otherwise.

Edit: Here's that bit about Scion:
    I bring this up because I'm pretty sure the way Scion killed the Endbringers was using his fuck-you-beam as a mechanism to destroy the molecular bonds of the Endbringers. It's also possible it can directly collapse whatever mechanism ties a parahuman or Endbringer to its shard.

In any case, Eidolon being able to do even something like this is a really big deal. Now he just needs to figure out how to direct it.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  29. dasstan

[basking intensifies]
    Tana probably had it planned, though. I mean, mentioning a VCR in this day and age pretty much requires someone to comment on it.

30. Jim Starluck

Jim Starluck CO, ICS Vanguard

Taranari, did Eidolon wind up using his "Mass Resurrection" ability this time around? Or did non-Pantheon casualties of this fight stay dead?