1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Amelia, Worm AU [Complete]

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by TanaNari, Jan 10, 2015.

Tags:
  1. WizardTwo

WizardTwo Not too sore, are you?

I didn't say that though. In fact, the whole trust of my argument was aimed at people OTHER than Theo, and that I thought it was a little odd that they were willing to kill him to revive Zack.

But then Tanari explained how this healing was working, and how sting works, and I withdrew my objections.

The only statement I can think of which you may be referencing, is the statement that a clone is a new person in the sense of the continuity of the concious. Which it is. If you accept that continuity of the concious is necessary for a someone to be the same person. The counter argument was simply that some people didn't think this was the case.

GiftofLove and cosoco like this.
  2. Ack

Ack (Verified Ratbag) (Unverified Great Old One)

I don't think anyone here actually thinks that.

3. WizardTwo

Is that not what both of these people are explicitly stating?

cosoco likes this.
  4. cosoco

cosoco Not too sore, are you?

I'm not sure that it's a counter argument so much that I define my terms differently. If you want to argue that I shouldn't consider a perfect clone of myself equivalent to myself, then I'm interested in hearing your reasoning.

5. pepperjack

pepperjack A Variety of Cheese

Nope! They're saying their concepts of identity don't rely on continuity of consciousness. Presumably (and if this is too presumptive, I apologize to these folks), these same people would still consider the clone to be "them" even if their original self was not dead at the time the clone-self became conscious.

(I would further guess that, in the case both were alive, that they would consider their identities to diverge at that point, but now I'm just guessing.)

6. WizardTwo

I was explicitly talking about consciousness, and at least kismet states he considers his clones to be the same person, wether or not 'he' is still alive. They never used the word identity, and they quoted me talking about continuity of the conscious making you the same person, and said they disagreed. You cannot get more clear than that?

Hell, they'd have no reason to disagree with me about identity, because I also said that two identical people can have the same identity. I never said that IDENTITY has anything to do with continuity of the concious. Someone who has your memories and your body and thinks they're you, has the same identity as you.

But they are NOT the same existence. The same concious.

7. cosoco

cosoco Not too sore, are you?

Yes, that's my opinion.

I think you misread WizardTwo's post, though.

PineTreeq likes this.
  8. pepperjack

pepperjack A Variety of Cheese

So I did.

That'll teach me to step in to arguments that I'm not a party to, I suppose.

No, it won't.

evildice and GiftofLove like this.
  9. WizardTwo

I won't forgive you. I've written your name down in my little black book of people who dared to disagree with me. One day, you'll all get your comeuppance. One day.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
    Xicree, evildice, Volkogluk and 6 others like this.
  10. abyssmal_kismet

abyssmal_kismet Experienced.

It is, indeed, what I was saying. *shrug* Well, I would like to point out that I DO think that a perfect clone should be considered a different person after some vague amount of life experience. Random example: the you that went to college isn't the same person five years down the road as the you that didn't. A better example: a dragon offshoot, at time of creation, is the same person. A year later, they are not, and might have two entirely diverging personalities.

A great example of this concept is in the character the Teatime Anarchist from Wearing the Cape. The villain and the main character's time-travelling helper are the same person, with but a microsecond (or something like that) of difference. They ended up taking two different views in an argument, and later down the road, developed two entire diverging personalities. At what point are they two different people? You might as well ask at what point a ship that you replace every part of it becomes a different ship. It isn't a very clear thing, but the point is, directly after the divergence, they are, in my opinion, the same person.

Eh, there's no real debate going on at this point; it's a matter of opinion, like I stated right at the beginning.

PineTreeq and tilkau like this.
  11. Divabot

Divabot KILL ALL THE HUMANS

Yeah. As I said, think of it as life insurance: if you die, there's a backup you to take care of stuff.

PineTreeq likes this.
  12. Divabot

Divabot KILL ALL THE HUMANS

The trouble is, consciousness isn't continuous anyway. Even when you're awake, the illusion of continuous awareness is a lie your brain tells itself after the fact. (Brains, man. Don't trust 'em.)

13. edale

edale Versed in the lewd.

Erm...having trouble remembering this, what happened that caused backlash with Taylor's reveal? All I can remember is that Pantheon was planning for it to happen.
    FTFY. Sadly, not everyone's a rationalist, and talking to some of them as one can have the opposite effect...
    NO! Then we'll have to call Zelretch to blow the moon back into it's proper orbit....again. Do you really want to bring HIS attention onto you?.
    Good, lesson learned.:D
    Sad thing is...Your song choice is more appropriate for the chapter
    Please don't.
    Sad thing is...Your song choice is more appropriate for the chapter.
    It's canon and WoG that Oni Lee creates a copy of himself, then the original dies a few seconds later. So yes, Oni Lee dies every time he uses his power, and it's a copy taking his place.

Back on the SB boards I raised the point that since Zach is a bud of Oni Lee, it's possibly he suffers from the same personality degradation. Looks like we're about to find out definitively. Hundreds of thousands of copies. Thankfully backup tech can fix this... To a point. Problem is, Zach's never made a backup.
    Someone posted this in SB when the same discussion popped up.

14. WizardTwo

Read back, this point has already been argued and discussed.
    ----------

I just had a realisation. I'm sure someone else has already drawn the same conclusion, but I know what Taylor and Amelia's relationship reminds me of now. Its Nanoha and Fate all over again.

'No, we're totally just platonic life partners who sleep in the same bed and have daughter and may or may not be married.'

15. jaelin910

jaelin910 habitual lurker

ehh, I dunno... can you really call it inefficient when she used a two day Bieber marathon and was about to start on Friday?though I guess I'm thinking about effectiveness more than efficiency.
    are we talking time or effort?
    Time? she's put in a few days and might have needed to put in a few more. a fair bit but not a huge amount.
    Effort? following him around wouldn't be all that easy but probably isn't too difficult. playing songs at him? that's probably one of the most efficient possible methods available.

litres of blood a minute

Snake/Eater and TanaNari like this.
  16. LurkerGuy

LurkerGuy Hanging out in your threads; Observing your posts

Nope, liter is one of the several English words with different spellings depending on dialect, and the proper spelling for the American dialects is the one TanaNari used.

edit:though the incorrect pluralization of 'minutes' you pointed out was a legitimate error

17. Beyogi

Beyogi I trust you know where the happy button is?

Yeah... the real problem with that sentence is the number of liters, not wether they're spelled litre or liter.

So is that a fancy way of saying that he's bled dry in half a minute or just a mistake?

Snake/Eater, Divabot and Sheaman3773 like this.
  18. Alterego9

Alterego9 Know what you're doing yet?

He is respawning far quicker than half a minute, so he is not bled dry.

Divabot and TanaNari like this.
  19. edale

edale Versed in the lewd.

He's losing blood that fast, his powers just put it back in his body as fast as he loses it.

*edit- Grammar.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
    Snake/Eater, Divabot and TanaNari like this.
  20. The Unicorn

The Unicorn Well worn.

Since he keeps reforming every couple of seconds I'd guess neither - just one more demonstration of how bullshit parahuman powers are.

Snake/Eater, Divabot and TanaNari like this.
  21. Threadmarks: Amelia, Ch 262- Zach
    TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Amelia, Ch 262- Zach

I woke up gasping. How the fuck am I in pain?

"Don't panic," Emma's voice insisted, putting her hands on both my shoulders. That's when I figured out I was laying down on a bed or something. "We'll explain in a minute, but for right now, you need to stay calm, okay?"

"Y'know," I looked above my head at her. She looks worried. "I'm pretty sure the scariest words in the English language are 'you need to stay calm'. Either that or 'Honey, I think I'm pregnant'."

She smiled. "Stop being such a jackass." Good, it's not that big a deal.

"Okay, he's stable," Amelia's voice spoke up. "Couldn't hurt to get a little more of that biogel over here, however."

"This doesn't seem like the most efficient healing system," a male voice I didn't recognize spoke up. Considering we were obviously in one of our buildings, I'd have to... wait, healing? Well, this can't be a good sign. Oh, right, I remember. The new Endbringer. Copying the powers of others. I recognized Shatterbird in the mix. And Lily. I was stabbed by Lily's power.

"We can improve on that," Emma said, looking over to my side. I followed the glance. Oh, Chevalier, his armor looks different. "We have some very comprehensive scans of your power, and now a pretty good idea of how the human folding works. Size is only a passing limitation, considering how your power works. Give us a little time. I bet we can create a pocket sized organic doll that will let you impose your newfound power on almost any humanoid."

"You're sure about that?" he asked.

"Oh, and then some," Emma responded cheerfully. She's adorable when she slips into Tinker mode. "There are a number of individuals who can't be healed by conventional methods. Zach was one, but Alexandria is in a similar situation. Your folding power will, functionally, allow you to transfer any injuries to the copy, which we can keep suspended in a nutrient mix and give what are, effectively, regenerative powers to. It won't be able to repair brain damage, probably. You'd need to work with an actual parahuman regenerator for that."

"Could do even more than that," Vicky responded. "We know Case 53s regenerate back to their default state. But what happens when another type of regeneration gives them a different form? I could have done a lot more when linked up to Crystal's body. The changes that happened there were accidental, but if I actively push and control it, then I bet I can establish pretty close to human state. And my regeneration works on brains, too."

Emma leaned down and gave me soft kiss. Her mouth was cool to the touch, as was normal. "Be back in a second," she told me, before stepping away. I felt the temperature drop almost immediately. She paused for a moment. "That should work, with exception to nonorganic Case 53s such as myself or Weld. But the vast majority are still organic, if only sometimes humanoid. You won't be able to correct the genetic deviations, and it's possible that future healing or shapeshifting powers will undo the changes, but there's no reason you can't correct the physical shape, nerve system changes, and a number of other traits."

"Sounds like something I'll need to contact the Chief Director about," Chevalier replied. "However, I can't imagine a scenario where she'd say no. Finding a way to help the Case 53s, or most of them at least, is a major goal for us."

"Alexandria might be a little pissed to lose her badass backup," Vicky added. "But she's getting an eye and a leg in the trade. And since I like her, I'll even throw in a complete upgrade to her neural system. Wonder what she'll think about gaining the ability to smell and hear with better details than most humans can get out of their eyes. And if that works out, we can probably make a killing by charging people for biological upgrades. Think a million bucks per twenty IQ points is a fair trade?"

"I start making the phone calls," Lisa volunteered. "The Chief Director already told me to call her when I found some real results." Yeah, I bet she did. At this rate those two will be married before Taylor and Amelia. "Come on, Chevalier, let's go do beauracracy while the doctors and scientists do what they're good at."

The man moved away. "So, is it safe for me to get up, now?" I asked no one in particular.

"Yeah, you're in perfect health," Vicky spoke up. "Better than you were by a long shot. Ames might have taken the opportunity to tweak your biology while she had a way around your power's defenses."

"You caught me," Amelia replied. "Pretty much just the same things that the cloning tech gives by default, but angled toward more bulk and strength than normal. Your power means you don't need a more stamina focused build."

"Awesome," I sat up, and felt hair peel off my back and remain stuck to the table I was laying on. I shuddered involuntarily. Then I looked over at Theo, who was drenched in blood. "The fuck happened to you, dude?"

Clarice went to speak, but Theo interrupted him. "Nothing you need to worry about right now."

"Dude," I smirked at him. "I woke up half naked and sticky next to another half naked guy who's covered in blood, and surrounded by a bunch of fully clothed women, plus a couple other men. Something really fucking weird happened here. And I'm going to bet that whatever it is was probably both more strange and less fun than it sounds."

"Oh, come on, guys, it'll be easier for everyone just to come clean," Vicky declared. "You remember getting attacked by that last Endbringer, right?"

"Yeah, I remember," I agreed. And the couple hours that came after it before Rapture and Emma put together something that put me into a sort of coma.

"Well, that was two and a half weeks ago," she informed. "Since then, everyone's been worried sick about your dumb ass, and trying to figure out a way to fix you despite your power. We tried all kinds of things. Like this one parahuman that heals people by drooling on them."

"So... I'm covered in spit?" I asked.

"Yup," Vicky confirmed nonchalantly. "Miss Mushroom found a way that worked, by punching reality in the nuts and transferring your injuries to someone else."

Transferring my... "I had a hole in my chest big enough to stick my hand through!" I exclaimed, looking at Theo. Transfered injury. That is a lot of blood, and all of it is his. Amelia had a fair bit spattered on her as well, but from the looks of it, she'd been coverting it to plant matter. "You did that for me? Where the hell do you get your modesty lessons from?"

"It's not that big of a deal," Theo insisted. "People donate organs all the time. This was less heroic than that, since they don't get their organs back, and don't have parahuman surgeons and healers to make sure everything goes correctly."

At that time, Riley rushed into the room. I thought Clarice was being a little too still. He saved my life. How do I? "Thanks, man."

"You'd do the same for me," he replied. "We're a team, we got each others' backs." Riley hugged him at about the same moment, ignoring all the gore. "Case in point," he said, patting the girl's back. "She's the one who came up with this crazy plan."

"Yeah," I agreed. Would I have, situation reversed? Maybe. With some of the most powerful healers in the room to help? Yeah, I could do that. "Still gotta find a way to thank you, though. Tell you what, I'll let you win next time we break out one of the racing games."

"Let me win?" he scoffed. "I didn't give you a skill transplant."

"Theo's been thanked enough, I think," Vicky laughed.

Am I missing something? She smirked at me. Then tilted her head to where Riley was still cuddling against Theo. No fucking way. I looked at Missy, who had managed to find a place to touch his arm that wasn't covered in blood. She didn't seem bothered by this. "You're fucking kidding me," I declared. "Both of them?"

He blushed. "Thanks a lot, dude," he muttered. "I was trying to keep that a secret."

"From who?" Vicky asked. "Everyone knew. And I do mean everyone. Show of hands, did anyone in this room not know?"

Eric raised his. He was alone in that. "Guess I've been a bit out of the loop."

"Well, good for them," I smiled. "Theo, all I can offer you is pity. Maybe a place to hide if you need one." Missy and Riley both stuck their tongues out at me. "So, any other earth shattering news?"

"Umm... nothing you need to worry about," Vicky replied. "I'm California's favorite parahuman right now. Soon to be Philly's. I think it'll be fun."

"I bet," Crystal muttered. "Seriously, Vicky. What the hell?"

"Hey," she shrugged. "I have a type." A type? What the fuck are they talking about?

"As fun as this is," I interrupted. "I really need a shower right now." Also need to get away from all these people. I'm not good at this kind of shit. Especially when shirtless and covered in drool.

"Yeah, me too," Theo agreed.

"That's probably a good idea," Missy agreed. "You, too, Riley. A different shower."

"Dibs on the kitty shower!" Riley declared. No one fought her for it.

====================

A/N- Yay kitty baths.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  22. daimahou

daimahou Gentleman Tentacle(s)

We need a spin-off starring Victoria Dallon.

covered

23. dasstan

dasstan :)

[​IMG]
    Rejoice, our favorite OC lives again.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the implications of Chevy's novel power application. This is going to be terrifying/awesome.
    that

24. AkuArkaine

AkuArkaine Getting out there.

Yah gotta wonder if she will be as eager for kitty baths when she clues in on all those little things you don't know as a kid.

Zarohk and TanaNari like this.
  25. GiftofLove

GiftofLove A Gift From The Heart

26. Peanuckle

Peanuckle Versed in the lewd.

"I don't get it! I made it to be especially efficient and environmentally friendly!"

27. CptTagon

CptTagon Prolific Writer

at
    Ouch.

28. Mogget

Mogget Know what you're doing yet?

I wonder if Chevalier can fold a powerful cape into a blank clone, giving them two bodies to fight with at once. (Or a spare to fight Endbringers with or something.)

29. GiftofLove

GiftofLove A Gift From The Heart

He can fold the Endslayers together.

Imagine that.

Then imagine them stuffed into Alexandria, and thus made invincible.

30. dasstan

dasstan :)

I'm not following how that'd work. Do you mean a blank clone of the same powerful cape, or a blank clone of someone else?
    ...Maybe that's what Dinah thinks a threesome is?