1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Amelia, Worm AU [Complete]

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by TanaNari, Jan 10, 2015.

Tags:
  1. sephlington

sephlington Making the rounds.

Have you considered therapy? :D

2. Diller

Diller Versed in the lewd.

Given Lisa's opinion about Taylia how would she feel about her thing with Alexadria?

actually given her shard is pushing her towards it and the possibility she was jealous of Taylia she could be torn between actually liking it and horror at actually liking it. She'd also get a dose of what Taylor and Amelia feel all the time and experience why they like the bond so much.

Hell Alexandria might feel the same way about it.

Ryuketsu, Buggy123, doomlord9 and 5 others like this.
  3. doomlord9

doomlord9 Experienced.

They will just have to get together, stare at each other while having a Thinker-conversation, and commiserate their shared misery over a quiet meal.

Then they will realize that it would have been called a date by anyone without their various issues and start back to the beginning.

4. Peanuckle

Peanuckle Versed in the lewd.

Oh man, those summons are like eternal cockblockers. And we thought Lisa had it bad...

5. Mogget

Mogget Know what you're doing yet?

TanaNari is shipping shards, while the shards ship their hosts. How amusing.

6. dasstan

dasstan :)

Eeeh. They respond to her subconscious, so if she wanted to get laid, they'd hardly stand in the way. On the other hand, they're great for unwanted sexual advances.

Fuckboy: *rapeface*
    Summons: *lolnope*

7. GiftofLove

GiftofLove A Gift From The Heart

I'm pretty sure they went to a cafe and did just this. Might be crossing my fics, but I'm pretty positive. Lisa put a bit of effort into keeping her friendship.

8. jaelin910

jaelin910 habitual lurker

wait... Alexandria's a Cauldron cape, right?
    so... Negotiator shard is into necrophilia?

daimahou, Z000, Diller and 2 others like this.
  9. Z000

Z000 If this is trash, then find me in the dumpster

what the fetish for liking people that are in a coma, that fit more than necro

10. Snake/Eater

Snake/Eater Myth Maker of the North

it's debatable on a metaphysical level on a Q-dimensional being's idea of death with many questions like for example are they only alive when they come in to contact with a living shard then they die again?

11. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Death as we think of it doesn't really apply to Entities. Eden died. A *lot* of her shards died. Many more are running out of power because they weren't properly distributed. But many others are functioning properly.

Really, the way they're described both in the story and WoG posts... I interpret them as, essentially, living computers. Crystalline life, probably. As Wildbow said- if you take a shard apart, what you get is smaller shards. Pieces can be taken from one and installed in others, or reprogrammed entirely, as when he described the possibilities of an unchained Tattletale, and when we saw the descriptions of both Imp and Contessa's shards.

Which makes you wonder how many offspring shards they've generated. Surely Contessa, at the very lea... *looks suspiciously over at Dinah*

12. Snake/Eater

Snake/Eater Myth Maker of the North

Dinah 's Scions we talk talked about 2 or 3 weeks ago when i suggested if her shard was a bud of Taylor's or Danny's.

Buggy123 and Godwinson like this.
  13. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

14. Daunmi

Daunmi Shun the sun, night so nice

I think there was a semi-serious snipped done on spacebattles where Contessa was Dinah's mother, and where she got he bud from. But I could be getting my fics mixed up.

15. Gladiusone

Gladiusone Well worn.

Was I the only one who thought for a second that Optimiser was Armsmaster and Negotiator was Dragon?

Divabot likes this.
  16. Daunmi

Well, nothing says they can't be.

Divabot and Gladiusone like this.
  17. DasNiveau

DasNiveau Getting some practice in, huh?

Optimiser sounded like Accord to me. And Negotiator like Jack.
    DasNiveau rolled 3 die of 6 faces, total: 12
    For: Fun
    Rolled on: March-10-2015, 05:38am

18. Peanuckle

Peanuckle Versed in the lewd.

Wildbow also suggested that Eden could be revived. I presume that her body is only trapped in some kind of stasis, or that some cluster of shards could restore a backup and/or assume control of the total body.

But Scion doesn't have the powers necessary to repair her :(

Diller, daimahou and TanaNari like this.
  19. Godwinson

Godwinson Making the rounds.

Jack is Broadcast, and Accord would probably be Forethought.

(And for the 'bilingual bonus', Accord's OCD is his eagle.)

Snake/Eater likes this.
  20. Ack

Ack (Verified Ratbag) (Unverified Great Old One)

Heh. I like the conversation between shards.

Almost like this one. :p

Obliviated fan likes this.
  21. cosoco

cosoco Not too sore, are you?

newlines
    Irish
    Is this going where I think it is?

Fake edit: I guess not. But self-modification is still on the table.

Snake/Eater and TanaNari like this.
  22. GiftofLove

GiftofLove A Gift From The Heart

No. Bad. Mind wipe tech is not the answer to all your problems.

moontheir4 and TanaNari like this.
  23. pepperjack

pepperjack A Variety of Cheese

"Y'know, I could swear there was a reason not to use mind wipe tech to solve all our problems ... hell if I can remember it, though."

"Well, if you can't remember it, it can't be all that important, can it?"

"True."

*uses mind wipe tech to solve all problems*

24. Slayer Anderson

Slayer Anderson Orthodox Heretic

Shit can cause serious problems, yo.

25. Daunmi

Whilst this probably isn't the right place to ask, how the hell do you keep track of what you write and where?

Divabot likes this.
  26. Threadmarks: Amelia, Ch 288- Lisa
    TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Amelia, Ch 288- Lisa

Huh, why's Lily calling back so soon? I activated the phone. "How long did you know?" Her voice was angry and miserable all at once.

Upset. Recent, personal. Suspects I knew ahead of time. "Oh," I muttered. "I'm sorry."

"You're not going to convince me you didn't already know," Lily growled. "Don't fucking try. How. Long. Have. You. Known?"

"Which part?" I responded, tapping on my power to find my way through this minefield. Happened earlier than anticipated. Catalyst. Not from Lily, would have noticed during earlier conversation. Lily went to see Sabah after. Lily blames me and sees this as something I should have known a while ago. Knows my power wouldn't pick up on information I couldn't access. Knows I don't talk to Sabah often, if at all. Sabah too timid to take any drastic action. Lily initiated breakup. I had to consciously avoid a sigh of relief. I knew how to approach this, now.

"That the two of you weren't going to last?" I offered. Her reaction, or guarded avoidence of a reaction, confirmed it for me. "If we're being honest? Before you even got together in the first place. You two just don't want the same things out of life, it was never going to work out." It was also never going to be emotionally healthy in any kind of way. Two people as fucked in the head as you and Sabah only stand a chance in the very rare situation where you have compatible neurosis like Amelia and Taylor. But terrified of commitment and emotionally needy do not belong in a relationship together.

"And you said nothing," she accused.

"Would you have believed me?" I countered. "Name one moment, any moment before this call, that I could have told you. When I was still Tattletale? I like my organs unperforated, thanks. Before you signed up and you were being fed the Protectorate's propoganda about us?"

"To be fair to Piggot," Lily cut in. "Everything she said about you turned out to be true. Class S threat, going to conquer the city, if we don't stop them now we'll never get another chance. If anything, she underestimated you."

"Well, I never accused her of being stupid," I replied. "But let's continue. Could I have told you after you started dating her and still didn't know me beyond 'that bitch formerly known as Tattletale'? What about after I warned you about your impending reassignment out of Brockton Bay?" Please don't catch how you might not have stayed if I did convince you to think twice about Sabah. "The first time I might have had a chance was when you came up with that marriage plan. Then fucking Khonsu happened."

She flinched. Fuck, overdid it. "I... my powers aren't all that cracked up to be," can't believe I'm opening up to Lily of all people. I slumped in my chair. "In a way, they're a lot like yours or Victoria's. I know how to spot weakpoints, how to tear people down and ruin them in all kinds of ways. But every time I thought that maybe, just once, I could save someone? Actually help instead of hurt? It's been nothing but disaster after disaster. Asking me to help someone is like asking you to use your power to repair something. It almost sounds possible, but it's not."

"That's fucked up," Lily responded.

"I hoped that Rapture could do better than I could have," I told her. Not a lie, I really did hope, but I knew that would fail as well. Rapture wasn't willing to harness her powers to their fullest, for reasons she was capable of hiding from my power. If I dipped into my postcognition, then maybe I could have figured it out, but she'd know, and I doubted that would go over well. "Maybe she thought the same thing I did, that it was better for it to happen naturally than with us meddling in your personal lives."

"She didn't have a lot of chances," Lily admitted. "Heartbreaker's kids are pretty scary."

I nodded in agreement to that. If it weren't for the anti-master drug, they wouldn't have even been given a chance. Too dangerous, too fucked up in the head. "For what it's worth, I'm sorry. I really do wish there was something I could have done. Or something I might be able to do."

"Yeah, dial it back," she muttered. "Just because I get where you're coming from doesn't mean I agree with it. Or that I'm gonna forgive you that easy. Or that we're going to be friends. I don't like what you did. I don't like a lot of the shit you do. I talked to Rapture about what happens if I go public this way. I didn't like the answers. You were looking at starting a war, Lisa."

"That's pushing it," I insisted. "I ran it by Dinah's numbers, less than a five percent and easy enough to manipulate in our favor over time. There was almost no chance of us not being able to at least delay it."

"Delay it how?" her eyes narrowed.

"Vague promises, delays, negotiations, there's all kinds of ways for politicians to push things off and force the next candidate to deal with the mess they left behind," I responded. "Only in this case it wouldn't matter because Scion's going to happen. Once that happens, the CUI will have more important things to worry about, and so will we." Impatient, waiting for rest of the statement. Fuck, Rapture really did figure it all out. "The risk of civil conflict is still there, but that's going to happen almost any way we do things. Your marriage idea was our best chance. If it means getting more people onto Avalon where we can actually protect them, then that's what saves the most lives."

"Well, now I'm single again and Sabah's opinion no longer means shit to me," Lily spat. "So get in touch with the royal family, and talk negotiations. The marriage is back on the table if that's what it takes to do this without bloodshed."

I nodded, careful to not smile. "Okay, I'll see what I can do. But it might not be enough in the long run. And of course you'll be disqualified from status in Avalon's nobility."

"I wasn't planning on that anyway," she responded dismissively. "I was thinking we delay the negotiations and unmasking for a little while, though. I have a plan."

"Lisa, isn't the point of going to a restaurant to eat things we can't make ourselves?" Taylor asked, looking at the building. It was one of the first restaurants built on Avalon. And more interestingly, it was to be the first example of Avalon specific cuisine. A couple of Crystal's college friends were in the culinary arts program, and started playing around with the samples she'd brought them. I didn't know the story beyond that, but apparently they were quite good at it.

"Oh, we don't make it like this," I smiled. "Besides, it's good to be seen like this. And you need to do something other than cuddle with Amelia all day. You two already share a planet on multiple levels, you need to stop there before you wind up sharing the same circulatory system."

Missy laughed a little. She and Theo were coming along, costumed of course. Riley and Amelia were having their time together, and everyone else had various projects of their own. Dinah's parents had chosen to monopolize all of her time before they made their move back to Bet. I ignored the twinge of envy. So few of us had parents that cared about us at all, and I sure as hell wasn't on the list.

"Lisa, I'm pretty much everywhere on the planet all at once," Taylor muttered. "I can do everything and still cuddle with Amelia all day."

"At least you're not arguing about the cuddling at all," I quipped back. "If you can't accept it as a chance to have fun, then look at it this way. This is the first business on this planet that's actually trying to be something new and unique. Everything else is 'new wherever' or made by us. And by 'us' I mostly mean Dragon." Not an exaggeration, Dragon accounted for over ninety nine percent of this planet's economy right now. In many ways, it made me worry that she was going to do to us what we did in Brockton Bay with the sewers, and the rest of the US with the M7s.

"Okay, I guess," she agreed reluctantly.

I led the way into the restaurant, and people turned to stare immediately. "Remember to smile," I instructed. The smiles would show because our armor would open for the lower part of our faces, now. Useful for public events like this. Avalon hadn't established newspapers yet, and it would be far longer before we had our own variant on the internet, but people already had their cameras and their cell phones. News would spread.

"Uh... wow," a man stuttered as we stepped in. He was older than any of us by at least a few years. College aged. "I wasn't expecting. Please, come in, I'll get you a private room right away."

I smiled. "If you please, we'd prefer to eat in the public area," I responded. What was the point in being seen if you weren't seen? "A pair of booths, not a table. The young couple is here on a date. Khepri and I are just chaperoning and catching up on business. I've heard good things about what you've been doing and we had to see what the fuss was about."

"Really? You've heard about us?" he asked. "We just started a couple weeks ago."

"Yes, we have," I responded, even though I was the only one of us that did. "We really appreciate what you're trying to do here. If Avalon's going to distinguish itself as a culture, we need more people like you."

He stuttered a little. "Th-thank you. Here's your table." I took my seat and Taylor joined on the other side of the booth. Theo and Missy were led a couple booths away to take their own seats.

"You had way too much fun with that," Taylor accused me.

"You did, too," I responded. "You know we just made that guy's week at the very least."

"And then some," she replied. "We're walking advertisements. We start coming here, and pretty soon everyone will."

I smiled and opened my menu. "Hmm, I think the grilled applesquash sounds good," I changed the subject just a little.

"Grilled?" Taylor opened the menu. "Wow. They got everything in here, don't they?"

"Pretty much," I replied. "Lots of styles, too. Right now it seems like they're just trying stuff and seeing what people like. In five years there will be all kinds of places like this, people who want to be Avalon citizens, create their own unique culture instead of just import their home culture over. And in fifty years, people will stop remembering that it used to not be like this. All these strange names will be morphed into their own words, and no one will remember that there was a time when this was new."

"Wow," Taylor just stared at the menu. "I never really thought of that. That's pretty huge."

================

A/N- Well, Lisa chapter. See, it's not all work and bitchiness. Just mostly work and bitchiness.

Also: I wish grilled applesquash existed. That sounds delicious.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  27. Daunmi

I hate you, for me being lazy and not buying food today like I was supposed to. This feeling of hunger is obviously all your fault.

28. edale

edale Versed in the lewd.

Dear God! The shards will become.....SHIPPERS!!!! Stop the world - I want to get off!

29. Daunmi

That wont help! They're already spreading to other worlds, and the most strongly shipped or shipping shards are taking over!

Obliviated fan and Snake/Eater like this.
  30. Jackercracks

Jackercracks At Two With Nature

<Negotiator,> the elder spoke first. It was one of the greatest of its kind, one of the ones that the Entities kept from the cycle for fear of unfairly damaging the cycle. The Eden-Entity's death and subsequent butchery by the hosts led to it being here today.

I'm confused, Lisa's not supposed to be a Cauldron cape. So how could the butchery lead to her getting her powers?