1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Don't Worry Be Happy [Worm AU One-Shot]

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Ack, Feb 20, 2015.

1. Ack

Ack (Verified Ratbag) (Unverified Great Old One)

Don't Worry Be Happy

A Worm One-Shot AU​

A/N: Can something be really sweet and really creepy at the same time? I think so ...

Amy Dallon was happy.

Well, mostly happy.

She had a house to live in, and a bed to sleep in, and food to eat, and clothes to wear. That was more than a lot of people in the world had, she knew. Heck, that was more than a lot of people in Brockton Bay had.

She even had a family. She had a mom, and a dad, and a sister.

Well, not really.

Her mom wasn't really her mom. Carol didn't really act like her mom, not like she acted toward Vicky. Vicky got hugs and praise and encouragement. Amy got … nothing, really.

And her dad wasn't really her dad. Mark was nice to her, when he remembered to be, and he took her places, when he didn't forget, but most of the time he just sat around. He wasn't much of a dad to her, or to Vicky, not really.

Vicky was the only one who really acted like she was a member of the family. She was Amy's sister; she hugged her and took her places, and made all her friends treat her nice. And Amy loved her, and wanted to make her happy.

But not everyone in the family was happy all the time, so Amy decided to see if she could fix that.

<><>​

The first person she chose to approach was Carol. She had figured out that Carol wasn't happy with her, but she didn't know why. So she decided to ask her.

On the day she chose to do this, Carol was in the kitchen, baking cookies. Amy had recently triggered with her powers, but Vicky hadn't yet, so Carol was making cookies to cheer her up.

It was another sign, Amy knew, that Carol wasn't happy with her.

I want to know why.

“Mom,” she ventured, approaching Carol, “what're you making?”

She knew, of course, but this was the way you did things.

“Cookies,” Carol replied shortly.

“Can I have a bit of dough?”

“Maybe when I'm finished.” Carol started rolling out the dough.

“Mom,” Amy began, putting a hand on her arm, “why aren't you happy with me?”

Carol tried to pull her arm away, but it was too late. She couldn't. She turned her head toward Amy and frowned slightly. “Are you controlling my body?”

“Yes,” Amy told her simply. “I want to know, and you won't tell me. Please, tell me?”

She felt the surge of anger and fear in Carol's brain, and … switched them off. Carol's face cleared, but then she realised again what was happening. Her face clouded again as the anger and fear came back. Amy sighed, and exerted her power. You're fine with this, she told Carol's brain.

Carol relaxed; she was fine with this. “I'm really not sure I should tell you,” she told Amy honestly. “It might make you be evil, like he was.”

“Like who was?” asked Amy. You're fine with telling me this, she told Carol's brain.

“Marquis,” Carol informed her. “We put him in the Birdcage, eight years ago. We didn't want you going into the foster system, so your dad and I took you in.”

“So why aren't you happy with me?” asked Amy again.

Carol sighed. “He's a supervillain. You're his daughter. I didn't like having you around, because you reminded me of him. And really, the way you're using your power now,” she observed in a matter of fact tone, “isn't far off how a supervillain would do it.”

Amy frowned. “But I just wanted to know why you didn't like me. It's not like I'm hurting you or anything. I just want to be your daughter.” It's silly to dislike me, her power said.

Carol smiled. “I've been so silly,” she realised. “I don't care if you're adopted or not, and who your father really was. You are my daughter. You've tried so hard.”

Amy relaxed her power over her mother's body. “I love you, Mom,” she told Carol.

“I love you, Amy,” Carol responded, and hugged her, flour-covered hands and all. Amy hugged her back.

“But no more controlling my body and making changes to my mind, okay sweetie?” Carol scolded her gently, after letting her go. “I see why you did it, and I'm okay with it, but you could go too far if you weren't careful.”

Amy nodded. “Okay, mom.”

Carol smiled and kissed her on the cheek. “You go along now,” she told her daughter. “I've got to finish baking these cookies. Oh, here.” She twisted off a piece of dough. “Have some dough. I've really got enough.”

“Thanks, mom,” Amy replied and popped the dough into her mouth.

That went well, she told herself as she strolled out of the kitchen.

Carol went back to rolling dough. She smiled as she did so; Amy was such a thoughtful child.

<><>​

Mark Dallon was sitting in his favourite armchair, reading the paper. He'd been reading the paper for two hours. Amy wasn't sure if he'd even turned the pages in all that time.

“Dad,” she began, seating herself on the arm of the chair, “why aren't you happy?”

Mark looked up at her. “But I am happy, pumpkin,” he told her. “I've got a beautiful wife and two lovely daughters.”

“But you sit there all day sometimes,” she contradicted him. “Some days, you don't even want to get out of bed.”

He sighed. “I've got a condition called chronic depression, Amy,” he explained. “It makes me not want to do things. I have medicine for it, but sometimes I forget to take it.”

Amy laid a cool hand on his forehead. “Oh,” she murmured. “Oh, I see it.”

Mark blinked. “What … what did you just do, Amy?”

Amy smiled at him. “I fixed it, Dad,” she explained.

“Wow,” murmured Mark. “Wow. You fixed it … just like that?”

Amy nodded. “It wasn't hard. I just needed to adjust a few things. Your brain wasn't producing enough of some type of chemical, and now it is.”

He frowned. “Maybe you shouldn't have done that. Changing peoples' brains is a really big step, you know.”

“But Dad, do you really want to go back to the way you were?” she asked persuasively. More persuasively, her power told his brain, You're okay with this.

“Well, no, of course not,” he agreed. “That would be stupid.” He put down the paper and smiled; a wide, genuine smile. “I feel great.”

“I'm glad you do, Dad,” Amy told him. “I just want you to be happy.”

“And I am,” he assured her. “I really am.”

Getting out of the chair, he picked her up and hugged her; she hugged him back. “You've done a wonderful thing, pumpkin,” he enthused, planting a kiss in the middle of her forehead.

She watched as he strolled into the kitchen. Moments later, she heard a squeal of surprise from Carol.

Whoops, Amy realised. I didn't prime Mom for that.

Hurrying into the kitchen, she found Mark embracing his wife and kissing her passionately; she was trying to fight him off, not entirely successfully.

“Mark!” she gasped. “What's gotten into you?”

“Whoops, sorry, Mom,” Amy apologised, grabbing her arm. “My bad.”

Mark paused; Carol turned to look at Amy. “Did you do something to your father?”

“I just made him happy. Made it so he could really show you how much he loves you,” Amy explained. “That's okay, isn't it?”

You're okay with this.

Carol smiled. “Yes,” she murmured. “It's okay. It's really okay.” The gaze she turned on Mark was more than a little steamy. “I'm thinking we should … “ Then she glanced at the dough on the counter. “Darn, I was making cookies … “

“That's okay, Mom,” Amy told her. “I can put them in for you.”

“Would you?” asked Carol. “Oh, you're a dear.”

“And a sweetheart,” Mark added. “Come on, honey, we've got some time to make up.”

Giggling, Carol followed him out of the kitchen. Amy sighed and rolled her eyes, as she started making the cookie dough into little balls. Adults.

Well, at least they're happy.

<><>​

Vicky strolled into the kitchen just as Amy was sliding the last tray into the oven. “What's with Mom and Dad?” she asked, casually stealing a bit of the left-over dough. “They came running upstairs just before, ducked into their bedroom.”

Amy shrugged. Just as casually, she put her hand on Vicky's arm. “I made them happy,” she explained. “Did you know Marquis is my biological father?”

Vicky stared at her. “Holy shit, your dad's a supervillain?” Then her brow furrowed. “Wait, what do you mean, made them happy?”

“Well, Mom's never liked me because she thought I was going to be like him, and Dad's always been depressed, so I … changed things a little bit, so Mom's happy with me, and Dad's happy with everything. And then I had to change Mom a little bit more so she's okay with Dad being, um, happy. And that's why they're upstairs,” she finished in a rush.

“Wait, what?” Vicky exclaimed. “You changed them?”

“Just to make them happy,” Amy explained patiently. “That's a good thing, isn't it?” You're okay with this.

Vicky nodded judiciously. “... yeah,” she agreed. “Yeah, it is good.” She giggled. “It's gonna be weird, though, if they're gonna be all lovey-dovey all the time.” She looked suspiciously at Amy. “Wait, did you change me just now?”

“Only to make sure you didn't freak out,” Amy told her honestly. You're okay with this.

“Oh, well, that's okay then,” Vicky agreed. She gave Amy a hug. “Thanks for making Mom and Dad happy.”

Amy hugged her back. “Anything for my favourite sister.”

“I'm your only sister, you dweeb.”

“And my point still stands.”

“Wanna see what's on TV?”

“Sure.”

Hand in hand, they headed out to the living room.

<><>​

Amy Dallon came to the realisation that she was once more unhappy.

Things were going well in the Dallon household. Mark had gotten off his butt and gotten a job; Carol was pregnant, and utterly radiant with joy. Amy checked on her regularly, at her own request, and reported that the foetus was growing well. It was a boy; Carol had wanted one, so Amy had made sure of that.

The only fly in the ointment was that after Vicky had triggered with her own powers, she had begun to drift away from Amy. She wasn't neglecting her sister by any means, but she was starting (or rather, continuing) to notice boys. And Amy was starting to notice her.

I think I'm in love with Vicky.

What do I do about this?

I want to make people happy, but what happens when I want to be happy?

She came to a decision. I'm people too; I deserve happiness, just as much as the next person.

<><>​

Vicky was in her bedroom, putting on makeup, when Amy knocked on the doorframe. She glanced around. “Oh hey, sis. Come on in.”

Amy entered the room, came up behind Vicky – don't think of her as your sister – and put her arms around her. “Wow,” she murmured, looking over Vicky's shoulder into the mirror. “You look beautiful.”

Vicky smiled complacently, taking Amy's hand in hers. “Don't I just. I think this outfit will just knock Dean's eyes out.”

Amy recalled Dean; he was in the Wards, and he and Vicky had just started dating. It's not serious yet, and he can find other girls.

“It knocks my eyes out, too,” she murmured, and planted a kiss on Vicky's cheek. You know how much I love you.

Vicky coloured, her head turning toward Amy's. “Wow, Ames. I never realised how you felt … “

Amy nodded. “I do, and you do too.” You love me, and want to make me happy.

Vicky looked into her eyes. “I do,” she murmured, sounding almost surprised. “I really do.” For a moment, doubt flickered in her eyes. “Did you just -”

Amy nodded. “I did.” You're okay with this.

Vicky smiled. “Awesome.” She pulled Amy into her arms and kissed her.

She never did go on that date.

<><>​

Mark looked at Amy and Vicky, standing side by side, holding hands. “What's this I've heard about you two being a couple?” he asked with a smile.

“Oh, it's true, Dad,” Amy assured him. “Vicky and I have been in love for ages. Ever since she got her powers, really.” She reached out and took his hand in hers, and Carol's in her other hand.. “She's asked me to marry her, now that we're both sixteen. Is that okay with you guys?”

You're fine with this.

Carol looked at Mark, and Mark looked back at her. “I can't see a problem,” she told him. “What with the money Amy's bringing in from Panacea, Incorporated, they could go where they like, live how they like.”

Mike smiled at the girls. “So long as you come back and visit us and young Dylan every now and again, we've got no problem with that,” he agreed.

Vicky squealed and hugged her; Amy hugged her back.

I'm so happy.

The End​

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
    AKrYlIcA, Jancactus, Eyemore and 81 others like this.
  2. Biigoh

Biigoh Primordial Tanuki Moderator

Oh dear.... Amy is the Best Friend a person can have

3. doomlord9

doomlord9 Experienced.

And if she isn't, she'll fix that.

4. Navrin

Navrin Experienced.

Still less messed up than how things went in canon.

pvnkice, Eyemore, Hugs4u and 31 others like this.
  5. Ack

And you'll be okay with it. Really.

6. Rentoba

Rentoba Shocked Panda

D'aww, isn't that just the most adorifying thing you've read today? And if it isn't, well, Amy can hep with that.

7. HypoSoc

HypoSoc The mind is such a fragile plaything.

I cannot see any adorableness. I can only see horror. I honestly hope this Amy get neutralized, lethally or not. Thankfully, the PRT does have a system of dealing with Masters even if it isn't perfect.

This right here is hell, and it is filled with little smiling girls.

Ergoan, DaGeek247, DariusXXI and 10 others like this.
  8. Ack

You're fine with this. :p

9. DeAnno

DeAnno Power over Versatility

I think Amy's course is clear. Healing people for money to get by is all well and good, but really, she has a higher calling. She must ship. She must ship them all.

10. Adyen

Adyen Experienced.

Oh man, when TT sees her, she's going to *NOPE* the fuck out of the city.

When Amy sees her, TT's going to be fine with it. :)

11. doomlord9

doomlord9 Experienced.

Well she was so unhappy with how everything was going, and don't even get her started on how that tall curly haired girl was feeling.

She has her work cut out for her but by god she's gonna make everyone happy even if it kills them!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  12. tilkau

tilkau Not too sore, are you?

I am, in fact, fine with this. This kind of modification of selves is considerably less stupid than the self-modification that you do to yourself anyway. This is a finite if large amount of intentful stupidity, the latter is an infinite amount of mindless stupidity.

I do have to ask though -- where will the shards get their Conflict(tm) when everyone except Hatchet Face are friends? It makes one wonder whether someone would trigger with specifically anti-Amy powers, and what those might be.

Eyemore, Ergoan, DaGeek247 and 3 others like this.
  13. edale

edale Versed in the lewd.

I think you need to look up the definition of SELF-modification.

As for conflict... Heartbreaker managed fine doing essentially the same thing.

Ergoan and DaGeek247 like this.
  14. Peanuckle

Peanuckle Versed in the lewd.

Reminds me of Handshake.

Eyemore, Ergoan, chins4tw and 3 others like this.
  15. tilkau

Nah, there's not another good phrase for.. modifying a person's person-ness / what it feels like to be them .. in English. I could say 'modification of the self', I suppose. That isn't really different, but it would be slightly clearer. Edited.

Yes, you get plenty of conflict -until- you win, and then you get next to none, because modifying it away has been your entire path. Heartbreaker was never in the situation of having finally -won-, which is the problem I'm describing.

16. Finbar

Finbar I trust you know where the happy button is?

Well, thats pure nightmare fuel right there.

I'm not sure how different sh is to Marquis, save for being slightly less ambitious.

Snake/Eater, Ack and Alphaleph like this.
  17. Selias

Selias Well worn.

Self-modification would be Amy modifying Amy.

Lantalia likes this.
  18. edale

Brainwashing, thought control, thought reform, mental modification, proselytization.

Just off the top of my head (OK, the last one came from Google...).:D

Ergoan and DaGeek247 like this.
  19. tilkau

Mental modification, I guess that's not bad. Thought control, maybe (in the same sense as Ziz). The others are not apt.

Hm, I thought I used "self modification", not "self-modification". Oops. Thanks for pointing that out.

20. tEN

tEN Mischief Maker

ALL MY NOPE.

Snake/Eater and Ack like this.
  21. esotericist

esotericist Getting sticky.

Hm. Let me think.

Yeah, I'm okay with this. To second the thought: this is better than canon turned out for them.

22. Inferno427

Inferno427 Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

aw, this is sweet
    a happy family, and all it took was a little mental healing

Lupercal, Diller and Ack like this.
  23. Slayer Anderson

Slayer Anderson Orthodox Heretic

...I think it probably would have been better if Amy got their permission beforehand, but...Carol wouldn't give it in a million years...

<sigh>

Something like this bothers me because I consider Amy to have taken an objectively optimal route even if it is morally questionable at best.

The fact that Carol and Mark would not have accepted a substantially better emotional and social quality of life really, really irritates me...the fact that Amy modded Vicky...ugh, again, it's objectively better for Amy's own quality of life, which judging by the 'Panacea Inc' comment helps a whole lot of people...

The entire Dallon family just pisses me off sometimes. I think I like this solution if only because it's faster and easier than the years and years of therapy they'd need otherwise.

Xlerons, Ergoan, DaGeek247 and 11 others like this.
  24. edale

And how exactly is brainwashing not apt?
    Sounds like the very definition of brainwashing to me.

Snake/Eater and Ack like this.
  25. Jefepato

Jefepato Know what you're doing yet?

Seems legit. I'm okay with this.

26. tilkau

Brainwashing has established connotations that are completely different. it's a campaign of psychological warfare that takes weeks at minimum to work.

Calling Amy's power brainwashing would be sophistry : there is no psychological warfare, and the effect is instant.

Ergoan and Snake/Eater like this.
  27. doomlord9

doomlord9 Experienced.

On the other hand it could be literally true like never before. Their brainmeats have never been as clean and efficient as they are after Amy gives it a good scrubbing.

Ergoan, DaGeek247, Chase92 and 2 others like this.
  28. pepperjack

pepperjack A Variety of Cheese

A touching story.

29. solitare

solitare Getting sticky.

I'm fine with this too. Amy basically just did some mind-healing on Carol and Mark and got them over their issues. Vicky's powers mind-fucked Amy, so Amy's powers mind-fucked Vicky right back. If you can't heal Amy's mind from Vicky's aura, then it might just be better for them both to be mind-fucked into loving each other. At least they're both happy that way. Vicky's aura may be slower and subtler, but it seems to be just as effective as Amy's power in that regard (at least to Amy).

Ergoan, SwiftRosenthal, Madus and 6 others like this.
  30. edale

And yet some cult leaders brainwash the members of their flock in an hour or two of conversation.

TRADITIONALLY brainwashing is a long, drawn out process, but ANY stimuli that someone exposes you to with the goal of changing the way you think is technically brainwashing. And yes, motivational posters ARE a type of brainwashing....just not a very effective one. The most common form of mass brainwashing? Propaganda, and that one typically works...