1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Our Benefactor (Worm/Exalted)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Jack of Olives, Mar 9, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Threadmarks: Changes 1.1: Uber and Leet (Revised)
    Jack of Olives

Jack of Olives Knows just enough to be dangerous.

I originally posted this on SV, in the Wormverse Ideas thread. I've been feeling inspired to write more of it recently, so I figured I'd post it here, too.

So, without further ado:

Our Benefactor. (Worm/Exalted)

Changes 1.1: Uber and Leet (Revised)

---

An odd duo walks down the streets of Brockton Bay.

One is built like a high-school jock and walks with a casual ease usually seen by martial arts masters. The other is shorter and lankier, looking like the kind of person a stereotypical jock would take lunch money from.

Unknown to the people of Brockton Bay these two ordinary-looking people are the notorious supervillains (and internet celebrities) Uber and Leet.

"All I'm saying is that we don't know for sure if she'll actually be able to help us." The larger explains as he checks the street signs. "Besides, you know these magic-capes; they come in ten different flavors of crazy."

"Yeah, but if those rumors are true, she can fix any power, even case fifty-threes!" His compatriot answers, a note of anticipation in his voice. "And, that's not even counting that she had a conversation with Scion. Scion! He doesn't talk to anyone."

"Dude, Kev; she calls herself The Fairy Godmother. Who knows what weird things go on in her head." The larger guy points out. "Besides, Scion hasn't been seen since."

His companion whirls on him, stopping in place as he does. "I've got to do something, Mark!" All his apparent excitement seemingly replaced by naked despair and desperation. "My last dozen inventions have been disasters. That last one almost killed you!"

The man who was also the supervillain Uber gently puts his hand on his friend's shoulder. "I understand, and I'm not saying we shouldn't do this. I just don't want you to get your hopes up. Because we have no idea if this is legit or not."

'Kev' closes his eyes and takes a deep breath to calm himself. "If it's not, we'll think of something else." He turns and starts walking again; turning slightly to look at Uber. "Thanks for looking out for me, Mark."

"No prob, bro."

---

They walk in silence until the two of them reach a building with two suits of full armor standing next to the entrance.

Said armor is seemingly made out of an unnaturally bright copper metal, and seemingly crafted so they wouldn't look out of place in some sort of fantasy setting.

The building itself seems to be made out of cobblestone, with some sort of flowering plant growing up and down the sides in an aesthetically-pleasing way.

Sitting over the entryway was a wooden-sign spelling-out 'Fairy Godmother', that's surrounded by multicolored, free-floating orbs of light.

"Well, she certainly has style." Mark mused to himself.

Kevin just nods. "Think she has some sort of tinker working for her?"

"Wouldn't surprise me." His friend nods as he opens the door.

Stepping into the building, the two take a moment to get a feel for the place.

Like on the outside, the walls seemed to be made stone, and there were more sets of armor lining the walls.

The decorations were rather spartan, consisting mostly of potted plants of various kinds. There were simple chairs arrayed about made out of a the same coppery-material as the armor.

At the far end of the room a desk made of the same material sat next to a door.

Somewhat ruining the effect was the black tween with elfin ears and a domino mask concealing her identity lounging behind said desk. She currently had her feet up on the desk-top and was making shadow puppets on the wall with her hands.

Shadow puppets that, upon further inspection, were moving in ways that didn't quite sync up with her hands.

"Yo. You guys here to see the boss?" She asks, not looking up from what she's doing.

It takes a second before Mark finally answers. "Uh, yeah."

"Cool. One sec." As she turned to pick up the receiver on her desk, both of them noticed that her shadow was still making puppets on the wall. "Hey Boss. Two capes wantin' ta see ya... Alright, I'll send 'em in." Looking up she motioned towards the door as her shadow seemed to open it. "She'll see ya."

"Thanks." He manages to get out, as they move towards the office; a bit unnerved by the girls antics.

The shadow waving as they pass doesn't really help.

The first thing they note after stepping inside is the number of glowing objects spread around the room.

First, the office itself was littered with odd objects, many of which had glowing parts. Next there were more glowing orbs in here, seemingly being used as lamps; with strange floating-rings that seemed to direct the light. Finally, flitting around the room were small, pixie-like figures who glowed softly with their own light; all of whom were performing various tasks.

In addition to the glowing, there were bookshelves filled with strange, hardcover books bound in materials they couldn't immediately identify.

Also of note, on top of one of the bookshelves was a black cat covered with strange red markings that seemed to be eyeing them as they walk in.

Sitting at the desk in the far end of the room was a woman in an ornate domino-mask. She was easily the most beautiful creature either of them had ever seen; A blonde goddess dressed in a red dress that wouldn't be out of place on a fantasy-enchantress, with large fairy-like wings coming out of her back in the most amazing colors they'd ever seen.

Perhaps just as importantly to the duo, she had her hands wrapped around a Super-Nintendo controller and her head facing a television screen as familiar music (which they both recognize as Final Fantasy VI's battle theme) plays from the speakers.

The two of them can only stare in awe for a few seconds, before the game's victory-fanfare finally snaps them out of their stupor.

As dynamic duo of video-game themed crime tries to recover their composure, the game's menu can be heard opening as the figure directed her attention towards them. She grins playfully. "So, the infamous Uber and Leet have come to see little old me." The two start at that, but she waved them off. "Oh, relax. It's just one of my abilities. I still follow the unwritten rules."

Having said that she leans forward on her desk, resting her head on her hands. "I take it that you're here for a power consultation?"

Kevin nods absently, still a bit awestruck by the vision in front of him. "Uh, yeah. We, um... we heard that you can fix powers, and, um..."

"What my friend here is trying to say." Mark interrupts, having regained his composure. "Is that we were hoping you could fix his powers so that his inventions stop exploding."

She nods. "I can certainly try. Were you informed of how I work?"

Mark shrugs, while doing his best to suppress his anxiety. "We've heard a lot of rumors, from you waving your wand and making everything better to Faustian bargains. We figured we'd find out."

She nods again. "That's fairly normal. Consultations are free, and we can discuss payment for other services after we see if I can help you." As she says this, she gets up from the desk to walk around to where Kevin was sitting.

"Do I have your permission to examine your powers?"

The man's eyes widened, but he manages a slightly-shakey nod.

The woman reaches over and placed her index finger on his forehead.

There's silence for a minute.

Finally she removes her finger, a frown on her face. "Hm..."

"N-no good?" The smaller man manages to ask, a note of disappointment clear in his voice.

"Well, that depends," She comments as she leans back on her desk, sitting herself on top of it. "I can change the way your power expresses itself, but that may not fix the root of the problem."

"Which is?"

"Do you want the long answer or the short one?"

"Um, let's go with the short one for now."

"Your power doesn't like you."

"... Say what?"

"Long story short: while not actually sapient, parahuman powers have their own personalities separate from their user. Yours is particularly outgoing and aggressive, which clashes with your own modus-operandus."

"So the fact that most of my inventions have been so volatile lately is..."

"Your power is trying to either to get you to take more risks, in it's own warped way, or kill you trying." She answers in a matter-of-fact tone. "It doesn't seem to care which."

Mark opened his mouth to call bull on her.

"Fuck!" Kevin's voice stops him "That makes so much sense."

"What!?"

"Remember the other day when I told you I kept catching myself installing volatile components in dangerous places, and I didn't know what I was doing wrong?"

The larger man freezes at that.

He does remember. Mark had secretly worried that his friend was developing suicidal tendencies. He'd ended up using his powers to subtly assess him to make sure that wasn't the case.

"...Oh."

"Like I said; I could change how your power expresses itself, but it would still want you to go out there and take risks to experience as many new things as possible."

"So I'm stuck then." Leet moans as he slumps back in his chair. "My power is going to get me killed, and there's nothing you can do."

"Now, now. I never said that. The way I see it, you have a couple of options:" She said as she started ticking them off with her hand. "Number one: I can go ahead and make the adjustments, and try to find a way to make you both happy. I won't lie, it still won't be great, but it'd be better than things are now."

He nods.

"Number two: I can, free of charge, remove your power completely. You won't have any powers, but you won't die from them."

Kevin looks oddly sick at that thought, but nods again.

"Number Three: Take away your powers, and set you up with a set of minor powers. They wouldn't be anything particularly powerful, likely a one or two on the PRT scale with the potential to become a three or four with time and practice."

Mark decids to speak up at this point. "Exactly what kind of powers are we talking about, here?"

She shrugged nonchalantly. "It depends on the individual's personality. Usually it's a minor shaker/thinker combo based around a concept; although other powers are known to appear. It also comes with a minor mover rating in the ability to jump higher than normal and a minor brute-rating. Basically, an action-hero level toughness. Minor physical changes aren't uncommon either, but more like Canary's feathers than a Case 53."

"So," Kevin interjects. "it'd basically be like that girl in the front room?"

The Fairy Godmother raises an amused eyebrow. "Show you that, did she?" It was obviously a rhetorical question. "Yes, she's a good example. As I said, these powers can also be trained-up over time; although the process isn't fast."

"What about people who want powers that aren't for play?" Mark finally asks. "What about people who want powers with some oomph?"

"Which brings us to Number Four." As she says this, another grin appeared on her face. The larger man couldn't help but notice that this one has a hint of a predatory cast to it. "Hypothetically-speaking, if I was working on making more combat-oriented powers; would you be interested? They'd still in be in their experimental phase; if this were real, of course. But you'd theoretically be helping me test them."

Each of the pair suppress urges to squirm at the sudden turn the conversation had taken.

Before either one could say anything, there is a yowl from the other side of the room. They turned to look at the cat on the bookshelf, who appeared to be giving the Fairy Godmother a pointed look.

The duo quietly wonder if cats should be able to convey meaning like that.

"Oh, relax Tay." She waved over to the cat. "I know what I'm doing."

The cat holds her gaze for a bit longer before putting it's head down, seemingly satisfied.

After briefly turning to look at each other, Kevin finally speaks up. "How safe would this be... theoretically?"

"And what would we have to pay for it?" Mark adds.

"One favor to be performed at a later date and an oath from both of you to not knowingly or willingly let anyone know about the whole deal." She answered looking at the larger man. "I'd normally charge more, but since you'd hypothetically be helping me work the bugs out of it."

Turning to his compatriot she adds. "And as safe as I could reasonably make it, of course. I won't say that such a scenario would be completely without risk, but at this point in the theoretical process I'd be able to fix practically anything that could go wrong."

She shrugs as she finishes. "If that doesn't suit you, there's always one of the other options."

Another pair conferring glances ensues between the two villains before they quickly come to a consensus.

"Option 4." Kevin speaks up. "If such-a-thing were available."

"Excellent!" She grins, before holding out her hands to shake theirs.

After a brief hesitation, they both accepted them.

Almost immediately, glowing magenta characters formed in the air around the three of them. And the duo instinctively knew that if they broke the deal something very bad would happen to them. "I'll hold you to that."

---

A/N: So, this didn't come out quite like i was expecting. For those of you familiar with Exalted, you've probably got some guesses on what's going on. Let's see if I can confirm that for you.

First of all, the Fairy Godmother is Infernal-Lisa who's gone the Devil Tiger route, and the cat is Lunar-Taylor. I'll hopefully get into how this came to be in the next installment (muse willing). The receptionist was Aisha (of course). The way Lisa is granting powers was by effectively making people into demon/deva-blooded. The creatures mentioned are demons/devas created by Lisa to look like fairies to help with her image.

Edit: Changed a few things to help with the flow.

Edit 2/21/21: Major revisions made.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
  2. Extras: Omake: Uber, Leet, and Trolling
    Jack of Olives

Omake: Uber, Leet, and Trolling

---

The Fairy Godmother leaned forward to look at her two guests. "So, how will you boys be paid for your fancy new powers?"

Uber reached over to pull up his backpack. "We've Got ten thousand-"

"Nope, I don't accept money." She cut him off. "I've got a deal set up with the PRT where I supply tinkers all over the country with rare metals. I've got more money than I know what to do with"

Leet Hesitated for a second before asking. "You're not going to ask for our immortal souls, right?"

Uber smacked his buddy on the head. "Don't be an idiot; souls don't exist."

"Oh?" The suddenly grinning figure in front of them asked. "Then you won't mind paying with them?"

"Uh, I... think I'll go with a different payment method." Her grin only seemed to widen for a moment before settling into more business-like smile.

"Okay, let's go over other traditional methods of payment." She raised her hand and a pair of shackles appeared floating above it. "First we have payment in service; the two of you agreeing to either work for me, or towards something for a length of time. A year and a day is traditional."

Uber raised a finger. "Er, we try not to do jobs for people we don't know, anymore. Not after that debacle with Bakuda and the Undersiders."

"Fair enough. Hm... have either of you seen The Little Mermaid?"

"... Will we lose man-cred if we say yes?"

"Good enough. Now, when Ariel made a deal with the Sea Witch... well, she got a bum deal with the time-limit thing, but aside from that; she traded her greatest talent (her voice) for a favor. That's very powerful, magic-wise."

Leet stood up with a determined expression on his face. "No. We are not trading in our ability to game. I'll let my powers kill me before that happens."

She shrugged at that. "Okay, so how about..." She paused in contemplation before a massive grin apeared on her face.
    "Oh! I know something you'd like. How would you like to go on an adventure?"

The two of them perked up at that. Uber was the one to ask. "An adventure? What kind of adventure?"

"One with swords and magic and stuff. It'll be just like a video game. Heck, I'll even let you record it for your website."

"We stream our videos live, actually." Leet commented.

"It'd be kinda difficult for this one, as you won't be anywhere near an internet connection."

Uber spoke up this time. "For how long?"

"That depends entirely on you. Anywhere from a couple of days to a month or two, I'd imagine."

Leet looked to his friend. "Can we both go?"

"Certainly. I'll even give both of you powers, if you want."

Uber shot her a suspicious look. "What's the catch?"

"The 'catch', is that I'd be taking your powers before you start. You'll have to go in using only the equipment I provide, aside from your camera drone drone, and the skills you have or learn there."

The two friends conferred with each other for a moment before turning to look at her. Leet spoke up. "Like a game, you say. Does that mean we don't have to worry about dieing."

She paused in thought for a second. "Well, it'd set you back a bit. But yes, as long as you don't quit, you'd have infinite lives, so to speak."

They both grinned at her answer and in unison exclaimed. "We'll do it!"

The Massive grin was back. "Excellent! Meet me back here tomorrow at five in the evening. Oh! Will your camera drone last long enough to film everything?"

"We bought it from the Toybox, and from what they said, it should be good for another three months."

"Perfect. In that case, I'll see you boys tomorrow."

---

The Uber and Leet Show Stream: The Next Day

The stream started with the opening credits as most Uber and Leet shows do, however viewers familiar with the show noticed something odd almost immediately. "Hey folks, and welcome to a very special episode of The Uber and Leet Show!" Uber started. Both him and his partner were both dressed in a gaming tee shirt and jeans.

"As many of you have noted," Leet continued for him. "my inventions have been a bit volatile lately. So, yesterday we went to talk with one of Brockton Bay's most mysterious rogues; The Fairy Godmother."

"I won't bore you with the details," Uber waved. "but she's agreed to give us new powers as long as we complete a video-game themed quest she's made for us."

"She's even letting us record everything for your viewing pleasure."

"Unfortunately, once we start this quest, our internet connection won't be available, so it may be a while before we're able to post again."

"In the meantime, we've arranged some top ten videos to keep you occupied while we're gone."

"So with that said; let's get this thing started. Our destiny awaits!"

The camera follows them as they walk into the building, where they're shown into the same office as before. There waiting for them, in all her splendor stood the Fairy Godmother, with a mysterious smile on her face.

"Excellent, right on time. If you boys would follow me this way." She motioned as she began walking to the far side of the room. Leading them through a door (that the duo were sure wasn't there yesterday) they walked into a stone room with a bunch of mannequins with various sets of weapons and outfits. At the far end of the room was a large double-door made out of the same coppery metal as the suits outside the building

"Here's where the two of you will choose your starting classes." Their host commented as she gestured around the room. "These should be fairly self-explanitory. You've got your standard fantasy knights and warriors, theives and rangers, wizards and clerics. Just touch the manequin and you'll be ready to go. Any questions?"

Uber spoke up. "You say starting class, Does that mean we can switch classes?"

"Good question. There aren't any real 'classes', so to speak. Theoretically, you could do anything. This is just what you'll start with."

Leet who was studying the wizard outfit turned towards her. "How do we recover mana?"

"It'll slowly replenish over time, although it'll do so faster if you're resting."

There was a flash of light from off-camera. Turning around, the screen showed Uber, now dressed in the knight armor walk toward them. "Our usual duo?" He asked Leet.

Nodding, as the camera swung around again, Leet reached out to the mage outfit. There was a flash as he touched it. As it cleared, Leet was standing in the Wizard outfit, staff in hand with his old outfit on the Mannequin. "You know it." A brofist ensued.

There was a metalic creaking as the large double doors opened to a place that was clearly not Brockton Bay. A path through a dense forest lay beyond.

The Fairy Godmother walked over to them and motioned towad the doors. "Since the two of you are all set, your destiny lies before you. Good luck. And remember: you have unlimited lives. The only way to lose is to give up."

Uber saluted smartly with his sword, while Leet bowed. Turning towards the camera, Uber began to wave. "Alright folks, you probably won't hear from us for a bit. Until then, this is Uber,"

"And Leet,"

"Signing off." They finished together

A strange thing happened as they turned and began walking towards the door. The stream turned to static for only a second before continuing to show the two of them walking. The only difference was the camera drone that they could see following them through the door. As the large metal doors closed behind duo, the picture turned to look at the only one remaining in the room.

The Fairy Godmother grinned mischievously as she looked at the camera. "Before you folks go, I've got one thing you'll likely want to see." Having said that, she turned around and the camera followed her back into her office. Walking over to a large mirror hanging on the wall, she waved her hand and the reflection changed to show Uber and Leet as they chatted excitedly while walking through the forest. "Just thought I'd let you folks have a hint at what they're in for."

The stream watched as the two of them rounded a corner in the path. Leet stopped suddenly to stare at what was in front of them. There was just enough sound to hear Uber, who was looking at Leet at the time, start to ask what the problem was before falling silent as he stared at what was in front of them.

Before the was a clearing, that seemed to be in some sort of tumbled ruins. There in the middle of it was a fire burning on a pile of bones with a twisted sword sticking out of it.

"Oh, fuck." The microphone was able to make out Uber saying, right before the mirror fogged up and returned to normal. The connection ended as the normal credits played with different music than normal.

---

This was actually an early draft that I made before the first chapter that I decided to not include in the main story. It makes for a good Omake, though.

And before anyone asks: no, Lisa can't do this kind of thing (yet; give her a couple decades).

Edit: Forgot the link. >_<

Edit 2: Made some minor adjustments.

Jimis, Cubbyhb1, alanzilla and 63 others like this.
  3. Threadmarks: Interlude 1a: Taylor (Revised)
    Jack of Olives

Interlude 1a: Taylor (Revised)

---

Taylor sighs as she looked out over the city. Cats don't normally sigh like that, but she doesn't hear anyone around, so it should be fine.

She still found it weird, being back on Earth Bet.

Sure, she grew up here, but she'd been in Creation for almost ten times that length.

Honestly, if it hadn't been for Lisa, she might have thought Earth Bet was just something she imagined when she was younger.

Well... that and memory-enhancing charms.

Anyway, She has to see it again. Has to see the place where her career as an undercover superhero ended and her real adventures began. If for no other reason than to come to terms with what happened all those years ago.

Subjective years that is. Lisa had managed to get them back only a few days after they had dissappeared.

From what she'd explained; the only reason they hadn't been back sooner is that they wanted to leave some margin for error (since time may be fluid in between dimensions, but paradoxes can be extremely troublesome when you're in the dimension experiencing one).

Honestly, at this point Lisa probably knew more about interdimensional physics than anyone on Earth Bet. Thinker, Tinker, or otherwise.

She leaps onto the roof of a taxie heading in the direction she wanted to go with inhuman dexterity.

She supposed that she could just fly there in one of her bird forms, but something about transforming into something non-mammalian or insectile just didn't sit right with her.

Call it personal preference.

Admittedly, she has a few bats in her arsenal of forms, but Brockton isn't really known for them.

Besides, she isn't in a hurry.

But yeah, back then she had blamed many people; especially Saint and Trickster. Seriously, what kind of idiots would steal a famous tinker's device to open holes into other realities and teleport it around like that. They were lucky that it was only a few people were sucked into it before it closed.

Heck, she and Lisa were lucky that they weren't ripped apart by the stupid vortex, like some of the others were.

The car turns, and she quickly hops off. She's close enough to walk from here.

Unfortunately, she hadn't had Saint or Trickster nearby when they arrived. The only person around to take her anger out on was the very friend who was trapped with her. Her friend who, like herself had been rendered powerless.

It didn't happen right away, they were too busy trying to find civilization from the wilderness they were dropped in.

However, four days after arriving there, everything seemed to break down.

There was some mutual screaming and accusations, as well as name calling and other unpleasantness. It all ended with Lisa walking one way and herself another.

She herself exalted the next day while she tried to escape a pack of beetle-wolves.

Lisa later told her that she was offered her Exaltation shortly after parting ways.

Thankfully, they'd eventually found each other again.

Her thoughts trail off as she reaches the park.

When they'd first gotten back, the area had been taped off and under constant surveillance. Smart of them really. With an accident like that with an unstable dimensional vortice involved, there's no telling if there'd be aftershocks.

Still, the place looks... ordinary, now.

She had a hard time believing that this is the place where it had happened all those subjective years ago (one hundred and twenty nine in Creation-time; which translates to one hundred forty nine in Earth Bet time), which was actually only a couple of weeks, now. It looks like an ordinary park.

Wait, the camera over there was new; focused on the point where the portal was, too.

A bit paranoid, she supposes, but it was a strange world without factoring in possible others.

She sighs again. They had really lucked out after they hit Creation. From what they could tell from their exaltations' memories, their previous incarnations (a Lunar/Infernal pair) had been killed together by a group of Deathknights, and chose them as hosts.

It was a bit disconcerting to think about, really. They went from having powers, to having them stripped away from them, to having two of the most powerful super-weapons in existence attached to their souls.

Yeah, souls exist. And she really should ask Lisa about how some of these parahuman powers interacted with souls, because some of them couldn't be healthy.

Oni Lee's for example.

Then again, they weren't exactly designed with human well-being in mind.

Friggin super-Behemoths.

And boy, was that a bit of a story. From what they could tell, Scion's species was some sort of experiment created by the Primordials before the Primordial War; something about finding out about how different species innovated with different powers or something.

Thankfully, Lisa was able to nip that potential problem in the bud. Now he just sleeps unless Lisa decides to wakes him for something.

I suppose it has to pay sometime to be a nascent primordial with the clear 'favor' of the others.

Wyld knows, it's gotten us into enough trouble over the years.

Having looked around enough to satisfy herself. Taylor turns to begin her journey back to their 'headquarters'.

Seriously though, we spend over a century protecting a chunk of Creation and all the people in it from all comers and what happens? Once Creation is relatively stable and the gods finally got their act together (by actually admitting there was a problem), what was their response to us? 'We appreciate what you did, but you scare us, and your presence is messing up all our stuff, so please leave or we'll have you killed.'

Urgh. Sometimes she wished she was more vindictive.

Yes, they'd been trying to find a way to get back here for decades using what free time they had, but it was the principle of the matter, dangit! They could have at least talked to them and found out what their plans were or something other than 'Good job, now get lost.'

Honestly, if she'd known that being a hero would be such a thankless job she...

Probably wouldn't have changed a thing.

Stupid hero complex.

Her ear twitches. Speaking of being a hero... yup, that was a call for help. Sounds like someone was getting attacked a block or so over.

Well, that was enough reminiscing for one night. Time to get to work.

---

A/N: So, bit of an info-dump, but hopefully done somewhat tastefully.

Edit: Cleaned up a few things.

Edit: 2/21/21: Larger revision

4. Threadmarks: Changes 1.2: Grue
    Jack of Olives

Our Benefactor (Worm/Exalted)

Changes 1.2: Grue

---

Brian Laborn (Grue in costume) stood before the headquarters of one of the fastest-growing names in Brockton Bay. She'd only appeared a couple weeks ago, and had already become one of the most widely known names in Brockton Bay.

The Fairy Godmother was said to be a powerful Shaker/Trump capable of altering reality and even granting others powers. There were enough rumors circulating about her to make him extremely nervous about meeting with her.

Still, he'd gotten a message from her claiming she had information about his two missing teammates. He'd only known Taylor a short time, and Lisa could be kind of grating, but they were on his team, and therefore his responsibility.

Steeling himself, he walked past the suits of armor and opened the door.

The inside looked fairly normal. Some of the decor is a bit strange, but no more than someone with exotic tastes in design might have. The Girl sitting at the Desk however, he recognized immediately, even with the domino mask and elf-ears.

"Oh! Hey bro." Aisha said cheerfully, as if he wasn't in his full supervillain costume. "Didn't realize you'd be coming by, or I probaly woud have planned a prank or something."

It took more effort to suppress a groan than he'd like to admit. "...Aisha, what are you doing here?" He asked as he took off his helmet, almost dreading the answer.

"This is my new part-time job." She answered, her tone teasing, but laced with pride.

"Part-time- You have a part-time working for the Fairy Godmother." It wasn't a question. "Shouldn't you be in school?"

"Nope, the boss lady got an exemption for me. I'm being 'home schooled'," She said with air quites at the appropriate time. "while I'm here. I'm even making some spending money doing it!" She exclaimed with a grin.

Brian just groaned. "Dare I ask how much?"

"Minimum wage." She admitted. "But she also got me these awesome new powers to protect myself with." Her shadow was waving at him. Now it was making faces.

"You can control your shadow." His tone was dry. "I hope you've got something else out of this deal, or I may have to have a word with your boss."

"Well..." She paused in thought, before disapearing underneath her desk.

"I can do this." She answered from right behind him. Spinning around, he saw her wave at him before vanishing into his shadow. "It's pretty cool." He heard from back over at the desk.

Turning around once again. He stared at her for a minute before finally giving into impulse. Reaching over the desk he enveloping her in a hug. She seemed startled at first, but relaxed after a moment and returned the hug. "Not that I'm complaining, but what's this for?"

"Just glad you're okay." Was his response as he let her go. "We're still going to talk about this later, but I'm here to see your... boss about my two missing teamates. So if you could let her know I'm here." He explained as he put his helmet back on.

"No prob." She answered before pressing the button on the intercom. "Hey boss lady. My-er Grue's here to see you."

A smooth female voice answered. "Thanks Aisha. Go ahead and send him in."

"Sure thing." She answered before motioning her brother to the door.

Walking into the room his eyes briefly glanced over the glowing magicky knicknacks (and the fairies were a bit surreal) before settling on the figure at the desk. There, leaning up against the chair with her feet on the desk, was his missing teamate, costume and all not looking to have changed at all. "Heya Brian. How's life?"

One of the chairs in front of the desk spinned around and there was Taylor in her skitter outfit, sans mask. "Hey, Brian." She waved.

Brian just stood there speachless for a second. Both of them looked the same, but there were differences in their posture. Taylor seemed a lot more confidant and self assured than she did before she'd vanished, and Lisa seemed to be a lot more... laid back, was the only term that sprang to mind. It took him a second before he realized that he was standing their staring at them. "Wha- Lisa, Taylor. You're okay. What happened? When did you get back?"

"In order: Yup; it's us. We're okay. It's a very long story. And three days after we dissapeared." Lisa answered, ticking off a finger for each question. Brian couldn't help but note that her amusement seemed to be off somehow. Before she disappeared, it was obvious that she got great amusement out of knowing more than anyone else. Now, it almost seemed like she was exasperated by it.

He blinked as his brain finished processing what she said. "You've been back for over a week and you didn't let me know?" Annoyance creeping into his voice. He'd been worried about them, dang-it.

"Sorry about that." And she actually did sound sorry; before Lisa would always say it with a tone that said the exact opposite. "We needed to deal with Coil first, or he might have gotten nasty." Brian just shot her a confused look. Coil hadn't been heard from for a while. Not that you ever heard much about him; the man was a ghost. "He was our backer as Undersiders. A real piece of work too; didn't care a thing for the unwritten rules, tortured for information, things like that. I'd been trying to get out from under this thumb since he'd recruited me at gunpoint."

"Since you're talking to me now, I take it he's no longer a problem."

"Yup! We beat the evil villain, saved the girl, and now I'm going to make sure we all live happily ever after."

"So, what happened? Did you trigger again or something?"

"Well, the first thing we noticed after we woke up was that our powers didn't make the trip with us..."

---

"By that point, I'd managed to tweak the spell formula to be able to cross into other dimensions and we got back here through good old-fashioned trial-and-error."

Brian could only goggle as she finished her tale. "Wow; that's quite a story. I'm glad everything worked out so well, though."

"Honestly, if it weren't for that wood aspect with the therapy charms, it may have turned out a lot worse." Lisa answered honestly. "I saw more than one exalt cause their own downfall because they couldn't (or wouldn't) deal with their own issues.

"So you were there for decades?"

Lisa only grinned. "Now Brian, you know better than to ask a woman her age."

"So you got artificial parahuman-powers that you jail-broke and spent... an undisclosed amount of time saving another dimension from something out of a Lovecraft novel?"

"That's the gist of it, yeah."

"And your shape-shifting powers are why you look like you did, then?" He asked with a frown on his face. At their nod he continued. "So what do you look like now, then?"

Taylor and Lisa looked at each-other briefly before shrugging and letting whatever they were using for their disguises drop. Lisa into what looks to be her Fairy Godmother guise, and Taylor into an older, and much more... developed form (she was also covered with the red tattoos that they'd mentioned). If Lisa now looked like a fairy queen, then Taylor looked like a warrior queen; muscular yet curvaceous, with a slight predatory look to her features. He had to stop himself from staring.

"I take it you like?" Lisa purred as she shot him a playful look.

Taylor reached over and poked her in the shoulder. "Be nice. This is a lot for him to process. It's not his fault we're goddesses, now." She chastised with an amused look.

"I'm sure if Alec were here he'd be making a bunch of MILF and cougar jokes right about now." Brian managed to say, his train of thought trying to regain it's equilibrium. The two of them looked confused for a second before (almost in unison) understanding dawned in their eyes and they started snickering. "Anyway, now what?"

"Well, we wanted to officially tender our resignation to the Undersiders." Taylor answered with a shrug. "We're probably going to become rogues; try to fix this world as much as we can from the background. We're basically ageless, and we'll only get more powerful with time."

Lisa grinned as she rested her head in her hands. "Care to join us?"

---

Edit: Made some minor changes and fixes.

5. UrsaTempest

UrsaTempest Yuri Fanatic, Archivist

Reasonably solid, but patchy, and needs more details. ...I feel like watching Cowboy Bebop, again.

I'm not sure about the direction of this, though. Glancing, looks like this can be a great fluff piece - the adventure of two monstrously individuals in a place where almost everyone is far weaker than them - or something more serious (they are Exalts, after all).

Regarding characterization... hmm. It is a bit weak, and it can be attributed due to, well, Taylor and Lisa spend time on Creation. The problem is, it is not shown. As in, I don't read how they've changed, what makes them, well, change. Might want to fix that.

Also, depending on far Lisa on Devil-Tiger path, they'll age at least around a hundred - so, Elder level or very close to Elder Exalt. That is OP.

Oh, right. Good luck with the fic.

Cubbyhb1, caspian1a, Ibskib and 3 others like this.
  6. Jack of Olives

Yeah, I'm probably going to go back and revise it later; this was one of my first fics after I got back into writing.

I'll work on showing some of the things they've been through, but the general idea of the story is that it's not about Taylor and Lisa, much like how Superman comics aren't about Superman. It's how other people are going to react to them shaking things up.

Taylor and Lisa are around 70 in Earth Bet' years and 60 in Creation's.

Appreciate the feedback, btw. :)

Update from the future: Decided to increase their ages a bit, Just mentioning it here to help avoid confusion.

7. UrsaTempest

That's acceptable. And I know enough about Infernal Lisa only become Devil-Trigger by getting somewhat rather hefty cost. And talking about Devil-Tiger...

Have you consider re-fluff Lisa as Exigent? That'll let you essentially start as DT from the start, thus you have no need to keep Taylor and Lisa away from plots too much, on account of their awesome power. OTOH, looks like that's your intention...

Jack of Olives likes this.
  8. cyberswordsmen

cyberswordsmen I trust you know where the happy button is?

60 isn't old enough to be elders in 2E and probably not in 3E which means Lisa isn't old enough to even start on the devil tiger charmset. She'd just be a normal infernal at that age. They should probably be only E3 or E4. Which is enough for some real hax and simply having social/mental excellencies is enough to really fuck with the status que.

9. UrsaTempest

They are close enough to Elder level, though. And Lisa can get that extra-Essence charms, which 'just' means she is beginning DT. Quite strong, tbh.

It can be side-stepped pretty easily by making Lisa Exigent, but I don't know author's reason to make her Exigent. If it's 'having individual powerset', then converting her to Exigent won't fulfill that purpose.

Aoinfinity and Jack of Olives like this.
  10. Jack of Olives

I'm using a hybrid of 2e and 3e rules until more 3e books come out (and even then I'm playing a bit fast and loose with the rules).

For reference: Page 9 of the 2e book The Broken-Winged Crane has the Ascendancy Mantle of (Yozi) charms which let an Infernal raise their essence one higher than should be allowed at their age (6 at <100, 7 at 100+, etc.) for the price of a small penalty which depends on the Yozi. 2e Solars/Abyssals are even more insane as they can get to effective Essence 6 with a 7 in certain abilities (assuming they don't mind wracking up some Limit)

As for making Lisa an Exigent; As awesome as they are, I've always seen the real appeal of going Devil-Tiger is being able to make your own devas and eventually your own world/dimension body and endbringers 3rd circle souls. Yes, they're all a vulnerability, but they're just so awesome. :D

Plus, this way we get to have a Solar(oid)/Lunar pair (and yes, I know the odds of that are ridiculously low; humor me).

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
  11. the DragonBard

the DragonBard Creator of Worlds

Is Cecylene Lisa's Patron or her Favored Yozi? Or maybe just using Cecylene's charms?

I see Lisa as being a Fiend or having Ebon Dragon as her Favored.

Maybe some Investigation style charms or ones that allow her to delve any secrets she chooses?

Lisa's Primordial name would be 'Knower of Secrets' or 'She Who Knows All.'

12. Cutesquid

Cutesquid Know what you're doing yet?

I don't know much about Exalted, but I thought Devil-Tigers no longer served the Yozi and just do their own thing?

13. UrsaTempest

Devil Tiger still got their Patron yozi charm, in addition their Devil-Tiger power. And yes, the power is not contingent whether they serve Yozi or not - that's kinda the major theme of Exalted.

14. Cutesquid

Cutesquid Know what you're doing yet?

70 years is looong time. If the author wanted to cover their full adventures, it'd probably be longer than all the Harry Potter books combined.

15. UrsaTempest

Flashback, then.

Honestly, it'll be much easier if Taylor and Lisa abandon their old identity, and uses their power to appear as completely new Cape... which, admittedly, they did. The problem is there is no difference in interaction between Exalt Taylor/Lisa and, well, actual Taylor/Lisa. As in, They both still treat Brian the same, Aisha the same, and so on.

The fic lacks that sense of Uncanny Valley, something you feel vaguely familiar, but not.

ryune and Jack of Olives like this.
  16. cyberswordsmen

cyberswordsmen I trust you know where the happy button is?

This is true from a purely mechanical viewpoint but from a story perspective reaching elder essence at all even when you are old enough is pretty damn hard. They require you dive pretty deep into multiple charmtrees and then you need to start building an entire charmset from scratch. It is a massive xp sink and a infernal that is running around doing adventures for 70 years isn't likely to survive it they are minmaxing just to get the pre-reqs for going devil-tiger. In addition there is no clues that it is even possible so they aren't going to know to try till they already have the knowledge, charms and skills to learn the first charm of the charmset. If there was another devil-tiger already in existence guiding her I could see it happening but as it is only genuinely elder infernals will go devil-tiger without the OOC knowledge that comes with being a PC.

Remember that outside of PC game mechanics raising your essence is hard it requires massive effort and time even by the standards of superhumans most exalts aren't going to have as high an essence as their age allows. Infernals are probably the splat most prone to high essence as it is important to their charms but even for them it is a big deal.

Since your are writing Taylor/Lisa as being veteran exalts why not just give them an age of ~150. That gives Lisa enough time to raise her essence 6 six and fuck around for a few decades doing mad science that could lead to realizing devil-tigers are possible.

17. Jack of Olives

Ah, I should have put more emphasis on how their behavior has changed. I'll add that to the things I'm going to edit.

Like you said: Infernals have the biggest reason of all Exalts to pump Essence (as their charms don't have minimum ability ratings, only Essence). Also, Lisa wasn't the first Infernal to discover Heretical/Devil-Tiger charms, she just jumped on the conecpt.

That said, you make an excellent point. While original thought process was that they helped make sure Creation was safe from all it's threats (not an easy/quick task) and then immediately started researching how to get back to Earth Bet; having them go native for a while before finally deciding to go back (or getting kicked out due to paranoid Celestial Exalts) would make things a bit more fluid.

I'll see about adding it into the revision, as well.

Good feedback. :)

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  18. UrsaTempest

Eh, simply state their age is around couple hundreds, maybe even near-century. Frankly, 80 years is way too short to achieve what you claim they've achieved.

19. Nervaqus987

Nervaqus987 Well worn.

"Vulnerability"......isn't quite the word I'd use to describe having manifest Third Circle Deva.

I mean, they can be killed yeah, but Third Circle Deva aren't exactly chumps.

Cubbyhb1 and Jack of Olives like this.
  20. Green Sun Over Paradise

Green Sun Over Paradise Not too sore, are you?

They're the exact opposite of a chump. Without even trying a TCD will get about 18 dice on any roll. This isn't counting their Excellencies, and often have dice of up 22 within their area of expertise. Which again isn't counting their Excellencies.

21. the DragonBard

Doesn't it require an Exalted to perma-kill one, as long as the Primordial who spawned them is alive?

22. Anasurimbor

Anasurimbor I trust you know where the happy button is?

No, just something with the ability to permanently kill spirits. Many Exalted can do that, but they are far from the only things.

23. the DragonBard

Well, unless some kind of parahuman power is capable of doing it, by being in this world, Lisa became a 'lot' safer.

Though, Taylor probably misses the near limitless multitasking ability, plus the area awareness she had as Skitter.

24. SwiftRosenthal

SwiftRosenthal Connoisseur.

I'm sure there are some Int and Perception charms for that.

25. UrsaTempest

Currently, Taylor and Lisa lives longer as Exalt than as Parahuman, I believe. Doubly so if you assume they are currently in couple hundreds age.

26. Peanuckle

Peanuckle Versed in the lewd.

AFAIK the only way to permakill TCDs is with GET and equivalents.

I wonder what sort of Living World Lisa has/will have made. Giant floating eyes for clouds? Devas that are living thought processes, leaping from mind to mind and growing fat on information? A great fountain where you can drink knowledge and bleed your own into the reservoir? A disembodied smile where each tooth is a truth of existence for all to observe and learn?

27. Threadmarks: Changes 1.3: Danny
    Jack of Olives

Our Benefactor

Changes 1.3: Danny

---

"So, let me see if I've got this straight: You're the super villain Skitter,"

"Was, but yes; that's correct." The beautiful young woman sitting at his kitchen table answered. If it wasn't for the uncanny combination of Annette's features combined with some of his own family features, he would have kicked her out of his house for daring to suggest that she was his missing daughter.

Well, that and knowing about that Thanksgiving incident when she was seven where Annette was sick; the two of them had sworn themselves to secrecy about it.

"In that cape battle down by the docks, the one that got the entire area cordoned off, you and your teammate Tattletale-"

"Just call her Lisa; we decided a while ago to get out of being supervillains."

"Got sucked into a portal and ended up in a different dimension. Where you lost your powers, got new ones, spent years there and are now back." He paused as he took in his formerly 15 year old daughter, who he'd say looked to be in her early twenties if it wasn't for a look in her eyes that somehow made him think it was much longer. "Which explains why you look a lot older than you did."

"Correct on all counts." She nodded as she sipped at the iced tea in front of her. Her face was serious, and she looked as lost and tired as he did.

He paused for a minute before finally voicing the only coherent thought in his head. "Why?"

She sighed as she put the glass down. "'Why become a supervillain?' you mean." She asked rhetorically. "Wyld, but that seems like such a long time ago." He idly noted the odd expression. Exactly what kind of world had his daughter been living in?

"The short answer is that I wasn't, originally. But I was in a bad place at the time, and it seemed like a good idea." She paused while she took another sip of her drink. "I've since realized how incredibly stupid that decision was."

There was also the accent. It was faint, but it was definitely there. Like those people who visit other countries for extended periods and come back having not spoken English in years.

He couldn't place the accent, though; and he'd heard a lot of accents working for the union.

"How long were you there?" He finally gathers his wits enough to ask.

"A long time. Thankfully, time isn't constant across the amount of dimensions we traveled through, or I would have been gone much longer."

He nodded at that. "I honestly don't know what to say."

"I know. I've spent years wondering if I'd ever see you again, and... so much has changed." She finished with another sigh. "I'm sorry I made you worry, though. That I didn't tell you what was wrong."

He couldn't help but chuckle. "I understand; teenagers aren't known for their wisdom or perspective."

He received a sympathetic eye-roll in response. "Tell me about it. Some of the things that..." She trailed off as she seemed lost in thought.

Danny was once again struck with the realization that his baby girl; this woman in front of him, had grown up with out him. Forcing a smile, he speaks up again. "So, any grandchildren for me to spoil?"

This was apparently the wrong thing to say, as a stricken look passed over his daughter's face before she sighed and looked away. "Just one. He didn't come back with us." The way she said it gave him the impression that she didn't want to talk about it anymore.

Getting up from his seat, he walked around the table and pulled her into a hug. She stiffened slightly before relaxing into his grip. They stayed like that for a while before finally letting go.

"So, now what?" He finally asks, as they look at each other.

She shrugs. "For us? I'm planning on winging it, and see what happens."

"Fair enough."

"Aside from that, Lisa told me to mention that she has a set of free superpowers for you, and wants to talk business later."

"Business?"

"She mentioned something about immigration."

AN: Just a short little something I threw together.

28. UrsaTempest

...Danny in Creation?

Malfeas' brass arse, the only reason Creation is less dangerous than Bet is if you got Exalted to protect you. Or you are Exalted yourself. Or you are anonymous, which brings it's own problem.

Else, you are painted target. Or is this Lisa's world body? Eh, let's just see.

29. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

I think Lisa and Taylor might mean bringing in immigrants from somewhere.

30. Skitzyfrenic

Skitzyfrenic Elves are for lewding.

From Malfeas methinks. Them first circles can be pretty useful.