1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Ah, yes, Guy. The person with a education in psychology from Earth. The planet with a non-spacefaring species. Which has certainly prepared him for issues extraterrestrials have. Yes, that Guy.

He's certainly more qualified in that degree than the guy who can see emotions and psychology in real time, have any information he wants beamed into his brain, and has extensive experience working with aliens. Nope, he has no qualifications at all. Guy is absolutely the best and only possible choice, the other guy can't possibly help at all, not even with generic kindness and support that a typical therapist might recommend. Nope.

2. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Honestly, I'd go with Claire Foster, Superman and Martian Manhunter's psychiatrist, over Guy, the man who is most famous for receiving permanent brain damage that left him in a coma for several years, anyway.

3. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

He can see her emotions, so she is telling him a lot even if she isn't asking/talking about it.

Sadly there isn't a light of despair Zoat can use to highlight in the dialog with color... I guess black works, but black is an expression of the anti-life and the black light, not normal depression.

Edit: Personally, this ship is also more interesting than the one with Cheshire. At this point, I am almost rooting for Desire and Eris to team up to make Paul life more interesting for them (the readers) by helping nuking Cheshire for existence...

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
  4. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

Zatana...

DrThoth likes this.
  5. Belenus

Belenus Versed in the lewd.

Because English is actually three languages sitting on each other's shoulders wearing a trenchcoat as they go around mugging innocent lexicons for vocabulary. The fact that the Anglosphere is even mutually intelligible at this point is a testament to the British Empire's mail system.

6. Twilight666

Twilight666 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Zatanna's issues where directly connected to Paul though.
    Kara's issues have nothing to do with him.

Zatanna's case is the equivalent of having a family member as your therapist.
    It is obviously a bad idea and will cause problems down the line.

It's just that in Zatanna's case there where no other options since her issues where caused by Nabu's enslavement of her father which was a secret.
    And the people other than Paul who could help her couldn't know about the whole 'planning to kill Nabu'.

Like, Robin could (and probably did) help, but she would have to tone down her issues so that he couldn't realise her and Paul's plans.

In the therapist example it's the equivalent of your family member being the only therapist in your town and not having the option to drive to a different one.

IE, Paul's only fault is that he didn't say :"Also, I am not going to date you", every time he saw Zatanna's feelings pop up.

7. Chaoswind

The problem with being a hero is that you have to save the girl (s) and that inevitably they may end up falling for you when you do so.

Paul saved Cheshire from a spiral of crime that would lead to a bad end (and even she can recognize that), Zatanna? Also saved, Kara? Literally saved her too.

There is no helping it.

Now that we know all of them start from the same point we can also see how unbalanced all of their relationships would be to the point I would argue Cheshire is as unhealthy or unhealthier than the other two because she is a normal woman, while Paul qualifies as a minor demi god even without his rings; the only thing she has on Zatanna or Kara is a worst childhood/upbringing and the fact she is Asian, because being four years older than them is hardly a footnote when her childhood was as fucked up as it was.

BBJimmy, Prince Charon and Wheenesss like this.
  8. Khettien

Khettien Perpetually confused

Truthfully, it's pretty easy. If it's the beginning of a sentence, capitalize it. If it's being used as a name, capitalize it. Otherwise, don't.

A lot of people seem to forget how that works.

9. Chaoswind

Mr Zoat since Kara is going to be joining Paul (include her in more episodes plz, also count me in the Kara 'friendship' ship with eventual rebound relationship as a wish), shouldn't the recruit he picked on Dax'am IE Sodam Yat also go with Paul and Lantern Dul?

I believe you said he is taking ring training and learning to pilot and fix ships in Maltus and since Dril Vox isn't going to deploy him anywhere as the optics of having a child anywhere close to the front lines, in charge of patrolling a sector or god forbid in a diplomatic missions doesn't offset the minor benefits of having a lantern doing his job.

Well I am at work, the point is that if Kara is taking a trip to Space with Paul (nice!) maybe Paul should request Sodam Yat to come as well with his trip with Lantern Dul... Dunno how feasible the episode would be with the increase in the party fire power, but I don't doubt you can work something out because the party has many inexperienced members (past lives memories aren't equal to actual combat experience).

10. bobsimmo

bobsimmo Simmr001 on SV/SB

Not for an introvert

Jaron, Prince Charon and Belenus like this.
  11. LiamOfOrmonde

LiamOfOrmonde Know what you're doing yet?

Don’t do it on Spacebattles or SufficentVelocity? Also, what’s the worst that can happen. Other than friendship.

WhiteNoise and Belenus like this.
  12. IndigoAbyss

IndigoAbyss Isaac of the Abyss

Glad do see Kara again. Now I'm waiting for the inevitable fallout that's gonna follow.
    Damn it Paul, you just fixed things with Zatanna ( for the most part I guess), now you're just jumping head first into this thing with Kara.

13. Belenus

Belenus Versed in the lewd.

Clearly the solution is a harem.

Jaron and BBJimmy like this.
  14. IndigoAbyss

Might as well. Too many best girls and potential waifus too ignore.

15. Eponymic

Eponymic Getting sticky.

At some point OL, if he hasn't already, should probably take some classes on counceling. He's got a fair hand, but building a better theory of mind for how mental health works would likely lead to more accurate predictions. Considering the interactions he has with his villians it surprises me he hasn't spent more time picking Gardner's mind on the subject.

Wheenesss, WhiteNoise and Vorian like this.
  16. Chaoswind

Its called friends with benefits, monogamy is overrated Paul can be the supportive older friend of each of them as they help each other go through life (Zatanna and Kara have needs of their own and are more capable of helping Paul than Cheshire). A harem would imply the girls wouldn't be allowed to pursue other relationships of their own if they want to and I believe the concept is outdated and patriarchal.

nobodez and Vorian like this.
  17. Siskulous

Siskulous Know what you're doing yet?

Even with those advantages Pauls track record with these sorts of psychological problems is spotty. Helping someone end their self-destructive behavior in pursuit of desires that can be better obtained in other ways or even by flat out giving them what they want and thus destroying their motivation for crime? He's a rock star for that. Helping teenage girls who have major problems that are not easily resolved causing them emotional turmoil? See Zatanna. Not only did he fail to make clear that it was never going to happen, but he allowed her to replace the very understandable emotional turmoil caused by what Fate did to her father with codependency. Even without seeing her emotions Guy - or any other real therapist - would have nipped that in the bud.

Psychology is one of those weird fields where all the book knowledge in the world is worth quite a bit less than genuine experience. Honestly I think the best possible course of action would be for Paul to consult with Guy. Paul can tell Guy exactly what Kara's feeling - which, let's be honest, she probably wouldn't if you put her in a room with a qualified therapist. Based on that, Guy - who is, after all, not just a therapist but in fact a GREAT therapist - could recommend a course of action far more likely to succeed than anything Paul would likely come up with on his own.

Now, that said, I think it likely that Paul has sufficiently learned his lesson that he'll squash any growing affection for him that he sees in Kara before it can get out of hand like it did with Zatanna.

Even introverts need hugs sometimes.

18. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

*rubs forehead*..... is Paul going to talk to Wayne about this?

im rather curious about the internal logic tree that lead to him intentionally giving a teenager/ young adult asking for a safe power suppressant radiation poisoning!

WhiteNoise and Chaoswind like this.
  19. SotF

SotF And Away We Go!

Paul really ought to send some of the data on what the gold kryptonite is actually doing to Batman and Superman, it seems like something that would help for dealing with potential future issues.

Probably figured it was safe enough for the situation...not expecting her to lock herself into the fortress with it for all that time.

Using it to let her adapt to the extra information at a slower rate would be something quite useful there

Jaron, Bramble Thorn and WhiteNoise like this.
  20. Eponymic

Eponymic Getting sticky.

Just because you play CS:GO with wall hacks doesn't mean you're good.

Sceptic and Chaoswind like this.
  21. Eponymic

Eponymic Getting sticky.

Wait, does this mean the ring translates Paul's speach into English? Does it best fit idioms and speach patterns? From the outside does it look like Paul is speaking whichever dialect of English the person he's talking to is most familar with?

Bramble Thorn likes this.
  22. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise Making the rounds.

It's not like we're German and capitalize every single noun. We just capitalize names (whether in the form of proper nouns or adjectives). Names of nationalities and names of languages are both names, and get capitalized.

nobodez likes this.
  23. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Do I really need to point out how bad Paul is at dealing with people he can't just bribe or browbeat into submission in one way or another?

Fact is, Paul just doesn't realize at this point in his descent that what someone want's often isn't what they need.

I mean hell, look at what's happening here, Kara rather obviously wants normalcy and to suppress what happened, and Paul's answer to that was to first get her work in the exact thing she did on Krypton, and then when that understandably made things worse. To try taking her to other planets that would be closer to what Krypton was like.

But of course if Zoat plays this straight that will also make things worse.

Because what Kara wants is pretty much the last thing she needs to deal with what actually happened.

Gantradies and nobodez like this.
  24. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

Malthusinoid.

25. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

Uhhhh.... No? The point of the trip is that the lizard guys would be further from Kryptonian than humans along with having technology advanced enough that she can't subconsciously think of them as simply the equivalent of ye olde times Kryptonians like with humans.

Prince Charon and Ardy like this.
  26. Aeess

Aeess I trust you know where the happy button is?

His ring was translating everything he said into Kryptonese, but when she requested it, he ordered his ring to stop translating.

Vorian likes this.
  27. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Sodam's problems are rather different to Kara's. Sodam's problems involve his parents being ultra-specieist isolationists, but he knows that they're alive. He knows that the culture he grew up in is bad but he knows that it's still there.
    Hah! No, that's not why. Dox is keeping him away from anything important because he believes that children aren't reliable. And he's curious what long term orange light exposure does to children.
    When I was writing later parts of this episode, I forgot that Kara was supposed to be going. I don't think including another character is a good idea.
    This Kara is in her late teens. She was attending space college.
    The ring translate's the SI's speech into whatever the listener is most familiar with.

infinityDivided, c3qo, Drode and 8 others like this.
  28. Simon Buchan

Simon Buchan Getting sticky.

If English likes hats so much, then why did ît gēt rìd of áccënts?

29. IndigoAbyss

Wait...does..this.....mean..that Paul..and Kara....might be a little more than just friends?
    Oh dear god. Yes please. These constant ships are overwhelming me.

30. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

She's romanceable, but it's unlikely that the SI would try something like that.

Jaron, infinityDivided, Drode and 3 others like this.