1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Ace Dreamer

Ace Dreamer Questioning The Nature of our Realities

You are an evil, evil, person, aren't you? :)

Darko and Vorian like this.
  2. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

If I remember correctly, This ISN'T actually Pauls first go with Violet Light based powers.

After he took the Staff of Love from Zatanna, he kept it on him for some time before he gave it to alternate Universe Faris. He even demonstrated basic functions using the staff when he was having breakfast with Cheshire on Maltus. Her Room mate walked in and didn't believe it was him, they had a talk about the orange light not allowing for love, and he cracked the Staff out of subspace and did a little light show with it. Can't find the reference off the top of my head though.

Does imply he's at least poked this powerset briefly though.

3. Siskulous

Siskulous Know what you're doing yet?

How in the world does working from home make it HARDER for me to keep up. I mean, yeah, my workload is ridiculous right now but....yeah, no, that's probably it. Geh. Anyway, I'm all caught up now. Just in time for the Crisis of Infinite Pauls apparently.

Prince Charon likes this.
  4. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

I just wish that once, some random chode would show up, blather some vague nonsense, and then get told to fuck off when he demands that you come with him like he's got the right.

That's all.

5. Maxx Crowley

One of my favorite fics had just that really.

Guy gets yanked through a portal, the whole vague mumbo jumbo, and just shoots the guy in the back of the head when he goes "Well, come along now." and then leaves.

I'm not saying it's the right thing to do. But in that moment, I loved that guy.

6. TheMidnightRook

TheMidnightRook Well worn.

Alternately, there's the version Rincewind went with...

Rincewind: I do not wish to volunteer.
    Patrician: No one was asking you to.
    Rincewind: Oh, but they will, sir. And then I'll run away, and probably hide in a crate somewhere that'll be loaded onto the flying machine in any case... Or there'll be a whole string of accidents that end up causing the same thing. Trust me, sir. I know how my life works.

7. Lazurman

Lazurman That Others May Fap

What fic was this?

Xmaster3000 and Ardy like this.
  8. Maxx Crowley

I had it saved in my favorites, on a site the got nuked from within by a pissed off mod/programmer.

I believe it was called "Not here." or something.

Gantradies, Xmaster3000 and Ardy like this.
  9. Xmaster3000

Xmaster3000 Know what you're doing yet?

He gave Ghia'ta the dragon ring to experiment with, and he took off both of the other two orange rings to make a point. Namely, that he can use a violet ring.

Darko likes this.
  10. Shotiegun11

Shotiegun11 Know what you're doing yet?

In the original story post Zoat had him have only one Orange Ring left because he thought the SI gave one of his personal rings to Xor instead of an extra one he got from Hinon/Controller Ring-Maker-003.

Why the SI would give Ghia’ta either the dragon’s ring (Construct Lantern Ring) or Krona-Hinon!Prototype Ring when trying to convince her that the Orange Light isn’t as bad as the Zamorans make it out to be, I have no idea.

Wearing what used to be a person now enslaved as a ring or having the Rings AI talk either in Krona’s voice or Larfleeze speak (GET THING. MINE!) isn’t conducive to convincing anyone that the Orange Light isn’t all that bad.

11. LazySloth13

LazySloth13 Versed in the lewd.

Plus it's make sense since we're likely to meet the other Pauls who either wield an orange ring or some other color save for violet, while people enjoy watching Grayven face problems through diplomacy or act like a decent human being people like when Paul uses a combination of brute force and cunning to deal with his problems.

Paul's has reached a point that he can solve most of his problems using his ring and the orange light, save for most magic problems which he has save in his subspace or can reach using his ring, and one of the few ways to cause tension or create a problem he can't fix without rendering him powerless would be to arm him with a ring of a different color.

It's possible he could try taking another Paul's ring to use but it isn't something he would do unless he's forced or sees no other course of action, but if his alternates are anything like him then it would take killing them for it, and his biggest foe would be Time Trapper Paul since he can control time to ridiculous degree and who knows what Red Queen Jade can do.

Not to mention even if he still had his orange rings that doesn't mean him and his alternative would be able to work together easily, if anything most of them would probably find him mildly off putting since he's essentially productively insane since merging with the Ophidian, and they're each used to their own way of solving problems.

12. Travisplo

Travisplo Dapper Necromonsieur, a fine undead gentleman

I honestly do have to agree that this is quite contrived. Getting rid of, like, seven rings over the course of the story, and never picking up more just to have a stock of them to give away like he loves to do so much is very dumb. As is the whole not having a backup thing. Like, come on, he's the leader of an entire Corp of lanterns, and he doesn't carry recruitment rings? And he took off two rings now, and then handed them off to someone else, instead of just pocketing one of them at the very least? This is incredibly dumb and contrived to make the story more "interesting", even though it's a transparent attempt to nerf Paul, even though it won't accomplish anything but increase the faff he has to go through in the end and make the audience sour to this contrived trope that you've inserted into the story for little to no reason, when you could instead buff the opponent(s) to accomplish the same, without the massive contrivance that you just went to, then had to go back and retcon parts of the story to allow for. It's just frustrating. But hey, it's your story, you write it how you want, I suppose.

13. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He probably ran out of extra rings to give for recruitment and the Controllers don't give him more because they could view it as a waist of recourses.

Also paragon was in their secure base where his teammates live and he was trying to show one of them what he can do.
    He probably didn't expect an attack or being taken out of time in a way he thought was impossible.

Being paranoid and cautious is sometimes necessary, but you can't be like that all the time

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  14. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

You'd think after being caught literally with his pants down the last time he took off his ring in that very same secure base where his teammates live he'd keep a backup on his person 24/7. It's a ring, not a suit of armor. This was just begging the Narrative to take a swing :p But no, that would mean acknowledging that narrative tropes have a stronger grip on "reality" than laws of physics.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
    Prince Charon, Cuchulin and Darko like this.
  15. Threadmarks: Repetition (part 3)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

2nd April 2012
    09:12 GMT -5, again

I've read John's file on Krona, and it… Wasn't particularly helpful. Ancient Maltusian, tried looking at the start of the universe and got stripped of his physicality as punishment. Nekron managed to give him a new one so that he could attack Oa, but he was defeated and they assumed that was the end of the matter. My comic knowledge isn't much-. No any better. I know that he was the main villain of the JLA/Avengers crossover and… He was doing something during the Trinity event where Morgaine le Fey, Enigma and Despero tried to restructure the universe around them. And the Parallax-Guardian in the film might have been him.

Nothing I can use to help me decide anything.

"You escaped. Why did he abduct parallel universe versions of me and you?"

"Because I'm a living temporal anomaly. Are you aware that the Challengers of the Unknown freed themselves from the Book of Fate?" I nod. "Something like that. I have no past or future, no history or destiny. Now come. I can give you a fuller explanation once we're…" He pauses. "I was going to say 'safe', but that would be a lie. Safer."

"At the moment I only have your word that anything is even happening. And you're just some guy in a robe. I.. seem to remember that you sent me back to the present when Dox was planning to keep me in a cell. I'd be grateful, but I don't appreciate having my memories removed and I'm somewhat suspicious of what you're planning on asking me to do."

"This isn't-." He exhales. "Fine, I can show you proof but we need to go somewhere safer first. And if you think I'm trying to manipulate you then you should consider that I've already demonstrated the ability to leave you in temporal stasis. As attacks go that's fairly conclusive."

I suppose he's got a point, there. At least I can be confident that he wants something from me.

"Alright then. Where to?"

He starts walking again and I fly after him. "In a manner of speaking, a dream. A lucid dream held together by a species-wide telepathic gestalt. Don't worry, it won't hurt any of the locals."

He walks through a doorway to what I know leads to an emergency exit staircase, then reaches into his right sleeve and pulls out a small piece of red crystal. He holds it out, and…

The air around us turns red as a scarlet circle appears in the air before him, spinning and widening into what looks like a Dolmen Gate aperture. The edge is two dimensional, comprised of wisps of the original circle which continue moving through the air-. And the walls and floors, apparently unobstructed. Through the portal I can see… A landscape made of the same red crystal Time Trapper used to open it, the red skies decorated by… Floating balls of… Is that wax? Liquid flames? They're paler than their surroundings so they aren't the light source…

"Come." Time Trapper walks towards it as the aperture passes floor level. "All of the explanation you w-."

The wall to our right explodes, fragments of rock and concrete flying past us and into my construct armour! Time Trapper is forced to dive for safety as Overgirl strides forward, eyes glowing a baleful red!

"You!" She glares at him and fires, but he raises his right hand and the lance of heat energy stops in the air. "It was you!"

"We don’t have time for this! Lantern!"

I hold up my hands in a calming motion as Angelika stalks forward, eye beams still on full.

"Angelika, talk to me. What are you doing? How do you know Time Trapper?"

"This portal! This is what opened over Aachen when I tried to stop the train! This man snatched me away from everyone I love!"

"That was Krona! What possible use are you to me?"

"Angelika, stop. If he can open portals then he can send you home. We can deal with whatever Krona is doing-."

The Time Trapper pulls himself up slightly as Angelika's advance slows to a crawl. "How are you even moving? From your point of view, time should-."

"Do you have any idea how I fixated on becoming Karl's equal?!"

"I don't even know who 'Carl' is! Lantern, please!"

For all that she frustrates me, Angelika is a friend, an individual who is gradually awakening to the idea that the things she believes are very wrong and doing her best to cope with that. And right now she's doing something harmful to her interests.

"Angelika, stop."

Golden kryptonite radiation plays over her.. to no apparent effect as she brute forces her way closer to her target.

"It took me years, but I learned how to power myself from things other than sunlight! Including the force you use to alter time!"

"Damn it! The one kryptonian who-!" The Time Trapper stands and steps backwards through the swirling portal. "Lantern, make a decision!"

It's for her own good.

Violet crystal forms on Angelika's back and rapidly grows to cover her torso. She's so fixated on Time Trapper that she doesn't notice until it reaches her shoulders. Then she twists her head around to glare at my betrayal.

"Why-!?"

Her head is covered, and.. the crystal is either holding against her heat vision or -as I hope- putting her into stasis.

"Thank you. Come, I'll show you-"

I pick up my crystallised colleague and carefully step through the portal.

"-what-. Why are you bringing a lunatic kryptonian?"

"She's not a lunatic. She's a friend of mine and since she's resistant to your abilities I think that keeping her with me is the sensible thing to do. Now, if you're really desperate-."

He waves his crystal and the portal closes.

"Fine. This way."

He leads me along a narrow path, spires of crystal rising up all around us.

"Some time ago I found that as a result of time travel my past no longer existed. As I'm sure that you can understand, this left me quite distraught. But it occurred to me that if I could survive without history, why not someone else? Why not dozens, millions, the untold billions of my uncreated temporal reality?"

"Because that's not how the universe works."

"Just so. But what if it did? What if it could? So I began experimenting."

Some distance in front of us there's a tall spire of crystal, tall enough to utterly dwarf the lesser spires around us. He appears to be leading me towards it.

"Did history 'snap back' from small changes? Were there consequences to the hubristic act of deliberately changing things? Was time inherently hostile and vengeful? Or mechanistic? While I was primarily interested in resurrecting my own timeline my preference was to alter the nature of the universe so that it could sustain multiple timelines. I love my own temporality. I don't hate those belonging to other people."

"Who would certainly try to resist if they found out that you were planning on erasing them."

"I would gladly fight and kill anyone if that was what it took. But… It wasn't going to. I found a way, a way to change the fundamental structure of reality. Some people would have been.. inconvenienced, in the short term, but given what we would all have gained I was confident that enough would volunteer to make the approach viable. And then Krona messed it all up."

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
  16. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'Ive already' not 'I'm already'

'would volunteer' not ' would volunteers'

So Angelika can power herself up through other means.

If this isn't a part of her hybrid nature then teaching this to the other four Kryptonians would certainly be a godsend.

Also, does anyone else get the feeling that TP is going to betray the other Lanterns for his plans, or that he is being manipulated by someone to create a perfect timeline for just them, while everyone else gets screwed over?

The recent Justice League Odyssey comic had a time manipulator claim that his plans to alter the timeline to prevent all the horrors and atrocities of the past from ever happening will be perfect and that it can't fail.
    Spoiler: Darkseid was manipulating him

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
  17. Introverted

Introverted I trust you know where the happy button is?

I would not be suprised if krona coming was your fault. Also, I sincerely hope that Pink Lantern is not stupid enough to blindly cooperate without insurance.

Ardy, Arghonn, Navi-Hank and 7 others like this.
  18. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Wait, is he claiming he created the multiverse?

Or, more personal, are he and Krona the reason multiple Pauls exist?

Also, as we now enter timetravel territory has Booster Gold shown up in this fic? I don't remeber.

Also also fun fact: during the JLA/Avengers crossover it turned out the DC universe was a lady and the marvel one a dude...and they had a cosmic egg together.

19. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Super-villain monologue time!

20. Vhostym

Vhostym Making the rounds.

So Time Trapper Paul now has Hope that he can successfully resurrect his timeline. Somebody get this boy a blue ring and things will wrap themselves up right quick! Unless of course there have been changes subverting the story we think we know which is a disturbing possibility.

Regarding Angelika, when did she get an offscreen massive power boost? Last I recall she was a decently powerful kryptonian but not really even on Kal El's standards let alone those of a God-King Superman (I know nothing about that timeline, I'm just guessing). Also, I must admit I was hoping for Blue Paul or Evil Zatanna more than her, since her whole deal never resonated much with me. Sympathetic Nazi redemption arcs just don't do it for me I guess.

21. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

She was drawing power from the power Time Stopper was using to screw with time.

Also she's one of the Golden Age level Kryptonians.

22. Agent Orange

Alright. I must say I didn't expect a Nazi kryptonian Kool-aiding through a wall frozen in time. How does that even work?

An entity whose defining trait is time control has no time to explain his lack of culpability to a kidnapping victim?

... Since when? Did I miss an episode? Did they become friends off screen? I'm not being difficult I'm genuinely confused when did this happen?

Damn she's OP. ... Then again, Superboy Prime did punch reality into submition. Power of love is so last century. Power of rage allows you to ignore temporal stasis.

Did he just put a person he considers a 'friend' into a brainwashing crystal? Will Zamorans gain another Lantern recruit out of this?

23. Whenever Possible

Whenever Possible Versed in the lewd.

Yeah, you can really tell this Time Trapper is Paul, cause this kind of plan has the same kind of optimism as the Fruit of knowledge plan did.

24. Agumentic

Agumentic Not too sore, are you?

That is a rather generous assessment of your relationship, OL.

25. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

A link to all of those: Krona (from DC.Fandom Wiki). And if he's involved, he's almost certainly in it for Science!

Ah, he doesn't know it's Maul, does he? Surely OL remembers enough of Time Trapper to know it's not always the same person?

I'm guessing nowhere - or nowhen - is completely safe in this conflict.

Unless you're powerful enough to overcome frozen time itself. And there are beings who can do that.

Plus, if you don't work with him, no telling when things will involve you anyway.

Hmm... Not ringing any bells. Likely something Mr Zoat invented.

Trippy. The DC Universe is a weird place...

Oh, what the hell? See what I was saying about beings powerful enough to overcome time?

Seriously, was she set up as a sleeper agent the whole time? By Krona?

Huh, guess so. And I get the feeling it may have been an accident...

Oh, boy. Our worst nightmare. an angry Nazi Kryptonian... With a target.

Assuming she's completely in control of herself... Gods only know what's going on with her right now.

Wait, what? When'd she manage that? How'd she manage that, even?

Oh, hell. Surprised this wasn't a Renegade interrupt, despite what he thinks of it...

Because the last thing this situation needs is a 'crazy Superman' moment...

Hold on one minute, magenta-boy...

For a start, you can throw her at Krona? Just have to convince her it was his fault, not Maul's...

Good to see he can see reason. Anything to get his counterpart's help, I suppose.

Not unless you want to accelerate its eventual heat-death...

Ah, a temporary hideout? Of course he went for a giant tower, what evil wizard wouldn't? (Yes, I know, not an evil wizard... But he's dressing the part so well...)

Kind of natural, really. Every Time Trapper has faced that sort of thing.

And this is how you get universe-retcon level Crises. Do you know how much of a pain those are? A big damn pain!

Hoo-boy. This is just getting more and more twisted. At least there's a chance to get Overgirl back to her home dimension, assuming she survives this. And I so want to see Batman's face when he sees this incident report, when this is all done, assuming we don't get another rewind.

...an individual who is gradually...
    He leads me along a narrow path...

26. Agent Orange

But much higher chance of succeeding. Great thing about time shenanigans is that he can try as many times as he needs to get it just right. Every failure is a chance to learn from his mistakes and refine the final product.

27. Whenever Possible

Whenever Possible Versed in the lewd.

Remember that Krona's experiments with Time ended up causing Entropy? This isn't a field you can save scum

28. Agent Orange

Now that's just quiter's talk :p

29. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    While her raw power is less than a natural kryptonian, it was mentioned that she'd studied kryptonian martial arts to a high degree.
    No.
    No, that's what the inside of the Materioptikon canonically looks like.
    Link in the text.
    No, a spire as in a giant lump of crystal, not a tower.
    Thank you, corrected.

30. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The red crystal is probably connected with the Red Queen.

For those of you who don't know she is a female character based on the Red King in the comics.

The Red King was someone that created a device that allowed him to explore other universes through dreams.

In this setting he appears to be John Dee, who after getting healed by Dream tried finding other dream rocks like the one he had.
    He found lesser ones, but managed to create a device that allowed him to travel to other realities and live in them.

Jade may have come across his device in this story and became the Red Queen.