1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

Hell's Razer and Vorian like this.
  2. Laundromat2.0

Laundromat2.0 Getting sticky.

First time commentor on this thread. Just spent the ast few weeks getting caught up, and it's been great! I don't know what to do with myself now that I've caught up...

Some stuff I've been thinking about:

1. It was interesting to see someone react to Paul casually 'becoming one with the desires of everyone and everything that ever was'. It's funny how differently he's regarded on Earth vs the rest of the galaxy.
    Earth: 'oh, it's the cake man who does interviews sometimes. Aren't you a little young for this, sidekick?'
    Literally the rest of the Galaxy: *makes no sudden movements* 'oh, uh, greetings, Illustres! Wh-what can I do for you? Please don't destroy my empire and hunt my species into extinction.

2. The effects of mysticism and enlightenment. It was interesting to see whatever's going on with him contrast with Grayven's New God-ness. Have to say that I guffawed when he partially merged with the Ophidian and wrecked Grayven's shit. That guy really had no idea what the fuck he was provoking, and if Paul was a little more ruthless he might have died without have any time to come up with countermeasures. Maybe he'll even learn that he's not so big a fish that he can trample people without thinking.

Regarding Paul, I'm really curious how things are developing with his soul and, er, I guess you could say his 'state of existence'? As we've seen his spirituality become deeper and more profound, allowing him to harmonize with the Ophidian and the plane of Avarice more seamlessly, he also seems to be able to do more and more esoteric things. He can look across the galaxy and recognize specific desires. And do things that are closer and closer to 'magic'. And just now, we saw him tap into desires that weren't even his own, which is a huge step. It seems like him and the ophidian are becoming less separate these days, as well. He slips into and out of their union almost without thinking, like she's resting just beneath his skin rather than traveling from far away.

I hope that he follows up on the thought he had in the witch world, regarding humans becoming New Gods. He's already becoming a unique existence in his own right, without any New God mumbo jumbo, but I have to say it'd be a good move for him to 'release' the limiters on his soul and grow more quickly. We know his soul doesn't quite look human (something that spiritually enlightened creatures can apparently recognize, like Malvolio), and his current state can probably best be described as a demigod, part flesh and part astral being, moving towards the second. He did say that he was 'only flesh out of habit' these days'. What do you guys think? Does his soul structure still have enough in common that he can be Awakened? The New God of Avarice? Or is he just too different at this point to follow that path of progression?

And if not the New God of Avarice, then maybe whatever Grayven did to Hal Jordan on Earth 50? Generating orange light within his soul?

3. What do you guys think will be the results of humans using Sheeda tech? Especially with melmoth there, they should be able to move fast. I see the Atlanteans being the main beneficiaries, finally creating their own versions of computers that run on bioarcanotech servers, and perhaps making progress on the people descended from those with a lesser formula.

4. Jade getting empowered. I hope she does because honestly what reson is there not too? Also, it would really improve her survivability. I think, of those available, since a power ring isn't gonna work, the Garrick formula is the only logical choice. Danner is great and all, but in combat, there's no arguing that a Garrick enhancile, especially the Flash's version, is a way bigger strategic advantage. One Flash could probably defeat dozens of Danner enhancile's, all other things being equal.

Honestly, probably the best thing that Paul could do for the war, for a low low investment, is find a lot of trustworthy humans, make them Garrick enhanciles, and then induct them into the darkstars.

3. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Actually, now that I remember it a priestess of Hades told Paul that Zeus was distracted with Ganymede when Herakles freed Prometheus.

KenNM, Otto von Saurion and Cuchulin like this.
  4. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Renegade gave John Stewart from Earth 50 the power to use the Green Light with his soul, not Hal Jordan 50.

Jade may also one day start using a ring, at least from certain posts I've read that seem to indicate it.

5. Laundromat2.0

Ah, yeah, I'm not that familiar with the comics so I mixed them up.

Yeah, it'd be good for her to have a power ring (maybe Green?) but there's no reason someone couldn't have super speed and a ring, right? Especially when there's literally no downside.

6. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

7. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

Mr Zoat What are the actual mental differences between White amd Green Martians? You knkw, the thing that lets a Martian detect their "true" color regardless of the physical shape they might shift into?

Cuchulin likes this.
  8. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

And more to the point, he gave Stewart the power to use the Glow without a ring by making him a New God.

You're thinking more along the lines of becoming an elemental, a state Alan was reaching, and Larfleeze allegedly reached according to Controller theories.

ChestBurster and Cuchulin like this.
  9. rkyeun

rkyeun Cabbitus Maximus

Goddamnit. Now I'm going to have to write a Mother of Mercy x Mogo fic.

10. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Please do, I want to read such a fic.

ChestBurster likes this.
  11. Laundromat2.0

Hmm, this provokes a good question, really. Is Paul becoming an 'Avarice elemental' like Alan is on his way to becoming a 'Hope elemental'? Though it would probably be a bit different, since Alan isn't 'enlightened', YET, whereas Paul is.

Or is what's happening to him more along the lines of what happened when Stewart gained the ability to use the Glow without a ring by becoming something akin to a New God?

And is there a real difference between these two states beyond the cosmetic? Hmm... well, they seem to reflect two somewhat different paths to ascension. New Gods make their souls physical, whereas 'elementals' (for lack of a better term) transubstantialize their physical bodies into their energy or concept of choice. The end result ends up looking similar, but they seem to arrive at it from different ends.

Or maybe he's on some third path we haven't seen yet?

Cuchulin likes this.
  12. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I ship it.

Cuchulin likes this.
  13. Stsword

Yes.

Gravy tried and failed to fix Alan by making him a New God.

It failed.

If they were the same thing I see no reason why Alan's metamorphosis would have prevented New God apotheosis.

So logically, it seems being an elemental and being a New God are incompatible states in this fic.

Actually, being a New God and an elemental seem to be incompatible in the comics too, considering the Source Elemental Takion was never made a New God, despite being Highfather's successor as leader of New Genesis.

14. Threadmarks: Back Seat (part 17)
    Mr Zoat

5th July 2012
    09:58 GMT +2

"Yes, as it happens I am currently single."

Hera seems to have calmed down a good deal since our last meeting. That might be to do with her current job as a Greek television personality affording her respect and social contact while also incentivising a slightly more… Restrained manner.

"Why the sudden interest? Diana told me that you're dating that assassin girl."

"A male heroic mortal of my acquaintance has expressed an interest in seeking a wife. Since he appeared to meet-."

She beams, her joy and incredulity written plainly on her face.

"You're trying to make a match for me?! You cheeky man!"

Several members of the film crew look around at her exclamation, but once they reassure themselves that she's just amused they go back to whatever they were doing.

"It seemed unlikely that Cronus had anyone lined up. For all I know you're temperamentally unsuited to one another."

"Alright." She leans back in her chair, clearly still amused by my impudence. "Who is this hero, and how do.. I meet his requirements?"

"Adam Blake, sixty one years old." I take a hologram projector out of subspace, load it with an image of him and put it on the table in front of her.

She looks him over. "'Sixty one'? Not entirely human then, or does he dye his hair?"

"We're not actually sure if he ages. He left Earth in the seventies, and he only started looking older after being captured and tortured for years. He looks younger now than he did after I freed him, and he might continue to move towards his prime."

"Oh, that's fine. I'd hardly be interested in a youth." I raise my eyebrows. "I wasn't going to marry you. You were going to get a weekend if you were lucky. Marriage is a far more serious matter."

"I am at once insulted and reassured."

She looks at me expectantly. "Well? Go on."

"He told me that he was looking for a mature woman with a varied life experience, intelligence in his league -he is very intelligent- and an adventurous spirit."

"I'll happily match wits with him if he promises to be less boorish than my last husband. However, I'm concerned about what he means by 'adventurous spirit'."

"He gets bored easily and so seeks out new experiences. And I don't mean sexual ones, I mean something new to do. At the moment he's organising the reindustrialisation of a planet ruined by war and occupation, and from what I saw last time I was on Tamaran he's more or less finished the top down part."

"Did they make him their king?"

"No, but he's on excellent terms with their current king."

She frowns. "And does the king have no daughters?"

"He has two, but Adam told me that they're too young and inexperienced for him."

"I certainly have experience. But I rather like where I'm living now."

"Adventure is relative. This is still new for you, isn't it?"

"I suppose. What's your interest in this? He's not related to you."

"Once he's finished on Tamaran, I'd like to tempt him back to Earth-"

"Hah!"

"-to take over our uplift project, since the challenge is a little more complex than what he's experiencing on Tamaran."

Her eyes and grin both widen. "And you want to use me as a lure?!"

"It wouldn't.. hurt. If things worked out. I don't think he's exactly going to rush into anything."

She looks at me a little more seriously. "And you think I am?"

"No. You have no political need for a particular or rapid pairing and a personal one for a life-partner. If I've caught your attention, you'll give it due consideration, and give a direct answer."

"I will. And I'll admit, he does appear to meet my minimum requirements. Very well; I'll meet him. Ask him to set a date at his earliest convenience. I'll pick the restaurant, since he won't know anywhere on Earth."

"Thank you. I will pass that on."

"Does he speak Greek? Ancient or modern."

"Both. He's also a telepath, so it wouldn't matter if he couldn't."

"By magic, or some sort of… Brain-thing."

"Brain thing."

"It won't work on me. Which is probably for the best in a relationship. And speaking of relationships, how are you and the assassin getting on?"

"Well, thank you. I'll-" I push my chair back and rise to my feet. "-pass on the-."

"You are sworn to the Olympians and acting within my domain. Speak with me."

I sit down in something of a hurry.

"Yes… Ah, Jade's progressing in her chosen career, establishing herself separate from my influence. That's something I've encouraged because the moment she thinks that she's dependent on me is the moment she starts being unhappy."

"Ideally, you'd depend on each other."

"I remember reading a while ago that if-" A man. "-a person earned more than a certain amount per year it was far cheaper to hire cleaners and surrogates and nannies and prostitutes than date or marry." I shrug. "I'm a Lantern. A very good one. I'll never depend on anyone. But there are skills I don’t have, so I'm trying to help her achieve things in that direction."

"A pleasant change of pace. I've known kings in your position who were singularly incapable of staying in their marital beds."

"You married one." / "I married one."

She smiles, nodding. "And if you respect her skills in the way my former husband never respected mine, that may well work. But I'm concerned about your distance. You do at least communicate with her regularly?"

"Several times a week, at least when we're both in a position to communicate. I know most of the friends she's made while there, but they're her friends and not our friends. I've planned this, oh Hera."

"You're the most orderly discordian I've ever met. Is that a subversion of expectations… Thing?"

"No. I just recognise the importance of undoing dysfunctional order. Your family works best when regarded as a unified whole. The fact that I'm currently closer to one of you doesn't mean that I've forgotten that."

"Ah. If only we remembered that."

Last edited: Nov 11, 2021
  15. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'our last'

'have to do with'

'you are dating'

'in seeking'

Yeah, no one exactly wants snakes or madness being sent their way.

'her chair'

'in his league'

Though I doubt she's exactly in his league, even if she is smart.

Hey, long distance relationships can work.

Paul does have a very 'tempter' vibe.

The snake thing, the fruit from Eden and all that.

So this is how Old Gods use some form of God speech?

'family works'

16. hance1986

hance1986 A pitiful excuse for a man.

' you're '

' in his '

' boorish '

' dependent '

17. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

I never thought I'd be so invested in Hera's love life.

18. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

I didn't think we'd see anything before the wedding, so it's a step up.

19. Flightless Man

Flightless Man Versed in the lewd.

I am very happy how you handled the criticism being brought up over jade. Hera was the perfect avenue to force a talk and have him acknowledge how often communication occurs. I know we all want to see it, but this was very nice.

20. Mr Zoat

'you are dating'
    'in seeking'
    'her chair'
    'in his league'
    'family works'[/QUOTE]
    Thank you, corrected.
    No, that's correct.
    Thank you, corrected.
    'Like an angry, smelly, ugly pig'.

21. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

Alright now Hera you’re on a roll, now to make Paul brag about how he made Adom’s wedding one of the most heartwarming moments in the story. I don’t expect Paul to get a blessing out of that, since it was more closely associated with different deities, but Paul deserves compliments as much as anyone!

He gets to deal with quite a bit of exasperation, skepticism, dickishness... Let him revel in that success. And perhaps get a fun misleading statement from him about wielding that Star Sapphire ring.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
  22. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

Hmm. What does this version of Hera even look like?

23. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

I see OL's wasting no time in playing wingman for Adam. And good to hear Hera's been getting on well. I half expected Zeus to be.. displeased.. about her mortal business.

Heh, She's never really played the field, has she? Certainly, there's few stories of her taking mortal lovers in the way Zeus did... This might be a refreshing experience for her.

...And now I'm getting a Dame Edna Everage vibe from her... Which is an interesting mental image...

Indeed, they could get on like gundowder and fire...

I doubt Adam's hardly displeasing to the eye, being the 'pinnacle of Human evolution'... Another poke in Zeus' eye if this works out.

Huh, so he could well be biologically immortal. Hardly surprising.

Hey, no judging the lady. What's good for the Goose is good for the Gander, and now she's free of Zeus, she can indulge herself.

Certainly not outside Hera's divine portfolio.

So he's feeling more than a little wanderlust rising. No wonder he agreed to look at the Coluan rescue operation. And nice pun there. 'Boorish' definitely describes him, but this is Zeus she's talking about...

Heh, seeing Myand'r might well remind Hera of Zeus, in looks at least. The God of the Sky and Storms does usually get depicted with some amazing hair and beard.

Plus, they have duties as their Sector's Orange Lanterns. Not entirely compatible with his wanderlust, even if they weren't too young.

A fine viewpoint. And if Adam comes back to Earth, I'm sure he'd find plenty of adventure in this Heroic Age...

:p Not like that! Minds out of the gutters, folks.

Heh, I'll bet it is. Given the nature of the science and scientists involved, I would not be surprised to hear of new tech-based superheroes running around, if you catch my drift... He's already had to break Ted Kord of that impulse...

I mean, they could easily spend a few years.. or decades.. courting. Especially if he's likely as long-lived as is suspected...

A neat summation of her character. She's fairly sensible (except in the field of infidelity) and quite outspoken. IF Adam messes up, she will let him know about it, no fear of that.

Score! OL's not such a bad wingman.

So if she picks, say, a place in Greece, he'll be speaking like a local before he even opens his mouth.

Such a blunt way to put it. But really, that's what telepathy is.

Oh, you're not getting out of her question that easily, OL. She may not be Aphrodite, but she does have some Love-related talents...

See? And amusing to see such an interesting form of Godspeech. I wonder if he picked up on it? :p Would Zeus have lightning-bolt symbols if he used it?

That's not really her style, though.

Yes, well, they weren't British! :D

Great minds thinking alike, or was that just that predictable a joke?

Just like with his other friends on the Team. Empowering those he considers 'HIS'. ;) Such an Orange Lantern way to go about it.

Heh. No doubt Eris is paying close attention to this conversation. Bet she enjoys the idea of 'undoing dysfunctional order' as a form of chaos.

Ah, such a refreshing woman Hera is. Frank, outgoing and forthright! Certainly coming in to her own now she's free of the deadweight. :sneaky: Perhaps she'll add the idea of feminism to her portfolio. I foresee any relationship with Adam being quite tumultuous, though... And noisy. Still, he's a far better man than Zeus.

'an image' and Double Space.

24. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Eris must be having fits by now.

"But he causes Chaos! But he is so organised! But he causes Chaos! But..."

25. Stsword

Olympians are shapeshifters, they look like whatever they want to look like.

Unless there's another version that Zoat likes better, I'd assume she'd look like her New Earth counterpart.

26. Laundromat2.0

The perfect wife, obviously

27. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

28. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

Well he did like to shapeshift into animals before getting busy...

29. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Her protfolio is basically just marriage and maybe family, along with women and sometimes childbirth.

Though she may be pleased seeing him acting like a great husband and father.

Though Adam may not be so easy to harm like other mortals if she tried to do that.

Not difficult to accomplish.

30. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

work bests -> works best

Mr Zoat likes this.