1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Well Paul has been thinking about finding John more and more lately, so maybe the spell is working overtime to make sure he's distracted.

2. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Makes sense.

DAT_NOOB likes this.
  3. LazySloth13

LazySloth13 Versed in the lewd.

You know one reason why Paul comes off as scatter-brained to everyone else is due to how he operates when solving a problem; Paul makes plans using his own knowledge and the information from his rings, he then focuses on people or groups who can help put his plans into motion, and after making a few 'random' statements or questions he goes into action much to everyone else's bewilderment. Plus while these other characters are capable of growth a lot of them are in a a sense comic book characters who tend to remain largely static unless there's a situation that requires them to change, and given that none of them focus on uplifting humanity it's easy to understand why they don't share the same viewpoint as Paul.

4. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

After doing some googling, I now know that Bir Tawil is the basis for the plot of land Lord Lantern Manga Khan built that trade post on. Also I wonder if Atlantis would be Security Council quality as well- I know it wasn't on the UN as of s1, and I have no idea when it joined, but I do imagine 'we control the oceans' might be a good argument for them to get on if they wanted to press the issue.

Well Euathane is his. Good arguments work on Paul, but so does 'trust me it's bad and hurts me' when it's one of his saying it.

Other planet: No way Earth could have that!
    Earth: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) No way Earth could have that?

5. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

Wait do we have confirmation that there is a John Spell fucking with Paul's ability to look for him or is it just an assumption we all agreed on? or is it just the general John record wiping spell?

RamiroGalletti, Ardy and Bud-E like this.
  6. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Well it's either that or Paul suddenly developed an extreme case of ADHD.

7. hkim

hkim Know what you're doing yet?

Suddenly?

8. Istaran

Istaran Know what you're doing yet?

Grayven was much more blatantly in need of intervention early on, and consequently got it. Oh El made better choices early, masking the need for intervention until quite late and letting people get used to the problems until they gave up on the potential to deal with them. (At this point I suspect people who could successfully intervene don't recognize it is not too late. Batman, for example, has probably come up with some plan to seal him away for millenia, maybe in a magical super Arcam, only as a measure of last resort, but hasn't thought to politely ask him to voluntarily get therapy.)

9. xSieg

xSieg Making the rounds.

Batman's probably started to plan how to seal OL ever since his report from Kadabra on the Orangest Night, honestly.
    Doesn't take exactly a genius to understand how the Reach (who were the first targets of the identity theft wave IIRC) could qwa-matter bomb someone important enough to make Paul do something like that, and he already is "only" productively insane at his best

Though I imagine he only started taking it seriously after the hypertime shenanigans, which means he can now try to fix it and make a better timeline instead of being slapped by timetravel mechanics

10. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

After reading this my first thought was why doesn't anybody ever just sit down and talk about how they feel then I remembered the answer entertainment. We wouldn't have much of a story if everybody was rational or expressed their feelings.

11. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

And it tends to not he easy to.open up and talk because that risks getting you hurt more.

Is Oh El gonna end exiled from DC? That's were the universe hopping Pauls snips come from?

12. Deadring

Deadring Screee!

I bet this is what it looks like when Paul is freaking out. I get the vibe that he isn't consciously aware that anything is wrong, but he just has a feeling. The vibe is just off, somehow, and he isn't sure where or why, but he feels it. Something doesn't match up, and he's not sure what it is just yet, but he knows it's something.

Or maybe that's just me.

13. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

....Paul is a chaotic individual, follows a goddess of chaos and has a set of tattoos that absorb ambient magic.

Constantine doesn't NEED any complex spellcraft to keep him busy....he just needs to drip feed him an IV of raw Chaos and let the universe and OL bounce off each other. Which is pretty easy I'd assume considering that, much like the former lord of hell, he knows how the tattoo's work, and has a direct feed of something that makes up a fair chunk of his soul...chaos rather then greed in this case.

Since he's a LORD of Chaos he's got plenty to spare.

14. Threadmarks: Dear John (part 5)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

7th November 2012
    10:28 GMT -3

Dr. Isley looks around as I materialise, prize in a large case in my right hand.

"What's that? Why can't I feel it?"

"Warded. There's an alien plant inside. Euanthe never had any problem with those before, but given how heavily engineered it is I thought I'd check that no one was doing anything that required intense concentration."

"What does it-? A plant computer?"

"I know of two planets with advanced plant-based civilisations. I introduced them about a year and a half ago, and they've been cooperating ever since. If Euanthe turns out to be able to handle this-" I raise the case slightly, then lower it again. "-I can arrange for a visit."

"How many did you get?"

"Just one, to test out. They can make more pretty quickly, but after you study it for a bit you might be able to make your own."

"Did you actually want us on the UN Security Council?"

"No, no-. I mean, I don't.. have an opinion. If I wanted it to happen I'd be doing more work than this. But if you get there, then-"

"Hugo's the head of state."

"-go him." I nod at Euanthe and Mr. Zatara. They're sitting in the lotus position facing one another, Euanthe's bonsai plant floating in the air between them. "What are they doing?"

"Checking what will happen if Euanthe succeeds. Zatara offered to help her with it if she helped him first."

"How much longer do they have to go?"

"I don't know. What they're doing… It's on a level far beyond anything I can do."

"But you're watching carefully and learning from it?"

"I was. Now I've lost my place."

"Ah. Sorry."

"No. No, the job comes first." She exhales. "I'm not used to having people depend on me. Or… Look up to me. Not since Gotham University."

"Didn't you used to employ a few henchpeople?"

"As Pois-." She shakes her head. "In Gotham, I thought they were idiotic meatbags helping me cause their extinction. I didn't think of them as actual colleagues. I wouldn't have noticed how they felt about me."

"Do you talk to any of them now?"

She shakes her head.

"Do you-?"

"Doctor Mist to Orange Lantern."

"Excuse me." I raise my ring to my left ear. "Orange Lantern here. Are you ready to perform the scan?"

"That is not quite how it works. I em contacting you because I have detected someone using the spell now."

"Now? Where?"

"In Northern Ireland, the city of Belfast."

"What?" I frown. "But the only.. person there-."

Ah.

I hand the case to Dr. Isley.

"Please work on this with Euanthe when she comes out of this. I'm afraid that this requires my immediate personal attention."

"I will send you the coordinates."

"Thank you, but I think I've got a pretty good idea where he is."

"If you know where he is, why have you not already made contact?"

"Because he wasn’t there. Moving

now."

7th November 2012
    13:28 GMT

I appear in the air, a.. short distance from the office of a major publisher. I've been here before and I recognise the desires there. But my target… There. A restaurant, getting lunch.

"Should I join you?"

"That-."

I want to say, 'that won't be necessary, thank you', but the fact is that my relationship with the British government is nothing like good enough to storm in, do my thing and then leave without it causing a huge mess for everyone else. Whereas Dr. Balewa has a Justice League warrant, can legally make arrests and is by default treated as the expert that he is in the field of magic.

"Would be helpful, thank you."

An arc of white runes flicker in the air, vanishing as he steps through.

"What do you know?"

"Once upon a time, a magician called John Constantine wanted to avoid going to hell."

I drop down to street level, causing a minor disturbance in the local population. Though it's not so much 'run and hide' as 'get your camera'. Winds roil next to me as Dr. Balewa appears. Once he's regained his composure I march in the direction of the restaurant.

"So he created a golem with his blood and magic, and gave it enough of his memories that it could stand in for him in the ritual sacrifice. And the only good memory he gave it is his memory of his relationship with professional illustrator Kathryn Ryan. Suffice to say, the Demon Constantine doesn't like his progenitor-"

I shove open the restaurant door and march inside.

"-very much."

Everyone's staring at us, though only Ms. Ryan does so with any sort of familiarity. I've only spoken to her twice, but I'm fairly distinctive. The man opposite her, with violet strands trailing between them… Clearly isn't The Demon Constantine.

Very clearly.

I can even see the desire set that doesn't match his at all.

And we know that those desires weren't there a year ago.

I form a construct around him and yank him out of his seat.

"Hey! What the feck-!"

And we feed on the spell and it collapses, causing his appearance to snap back to John's before rotting into his demonic form.

"You're under arrest. Again."

Last edited: May 18, 2022
  15. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Uh... so anyone wanna explain?

16. Blackshard

Blackshard ~

The Demon Constantine appears to have put up a magical disguise almost good enough to fool Paul's empathic vision.

17. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Unfortunately Paul is a greed elemental in a meat suit and he is the adopted son of the Great Snake.

18. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

"coordinates"

19. crazygrox

crazygrox Versed in the lewd.

Paul found the Demon Constantine in his secret identity.
    Apparently he's formed an actual positive and loving relationship with this illustrator lady. I'm still not 100% sure it isn't mind control.

20. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I wonder how badly this is going to mess her up?

21. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

22. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Given how... Lively... Transit through the Honden can be, I'm not surprised he's taking every precaution to ensure his little treat arrives in the same shape he left J with. I am impressed that he got one so quickly. :D All of two hours to score an early production model?

Well, you did say you missed having one. And if you two should happen to be able to make local versions...

The joy of connections. Heck, if it works out, he might well be able to arrange a trade deal. I'm sure Euanthe can contribute some clever things to J and Alstair.

That would be an amusing career trajectory for her. From super-powered eco-terrorist to UN member in all of two years.

I wonder, would the UN consider turning down having UN Peacekeepers with superhuman physiques. Even if they operate in their own units, just one such unit could make for a big stick.

Or rather, help her do it safely? One misapplied twist in the spells needed, and... :eek: Good bye biosphere.

Effectively running a simulation of what would happen, maybe? Sort of a precognitive divination?

You know, OL. With all the thaumic noise from your greediport.

Better than being a crazy Arkham frequent visitor obsessed with 'saving' the plant-life of the world from humanity...

Hopefully she didn't make them dress up in leaf-themed long-johns or something.

At least they'd have a high chance of surviving her service, unlike, say, the Joker's goons.

I'm guessing he's made his list of spell pings, and checked it twice...

O-ho! But is it actually John or just someone with the same trick? He had to learn it from somewhere, after all...

Hmm... Now what would Johnny-boy be doing in Ireland, hmm?

Evidently OL's memory of Hellblazer characters is damn good.

Okay, now I'm really curious... And kind of worried. :confused:

Oooh, the suspense.

...Hmm. To the Wikis!

At least he was smart enough not to go diving right on top of them...

OL, consider: Massive magical backup, just offering his help...

Well, good to see he can make a sensible decision.

Yes, please do exposit for those not in the know?

...Oh, hell. Literally. Not him again. Almost as annoying as Truggs. But less likely to cause a disaster directly.

So, is he looking to get his leg over with her, or just do something to her to hurt John? Or hell, both.

Pfft, right. Glamour!

Demon did his homework, at least...

...Pity OL has a direct line to check that sort of thing.

And if that sounds a bit excessive: Demon. Constantine. Either of those things is trouble. Both? Well, you do the math...

Now, what on Earth is he up to, I wonder? I suppose trying to hurt John directly is out now that he's well out of the Demon's league. But messing with his loved ones, as discreetly as he can manage? That might work. Assuming John doesn't find out and come down with the full force of his Chaotic powers... On the upside, it might let OL get in touch with him.

23. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Under what grounds?

As much as some people might like, being a Constantine isn't a crime.

24. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

He did break out of prison.

25. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

I like to think of him as Ophidian's thinking-brain human.... But I suppose I should put quotes around "human" at this point.

26. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

"You're under arrest for the crime of being Lina Inverse John Constantine"

Well, he's certainly guilty of that.

27. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Did he?

Or did he get out any number of legal ways?

And even if he did? Who's to say he didn't get a pardon for it due to doing something like helping in the Sheda invasion.

28. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

He broke out of Belle Reve and has been in the wind until now. It was in the same episode where Paul convinced Waller and John Quinn to put the Tower of Fate there for magic using criminals.

29. AmericanNumbers

AmericanNumbers Not too sore, are you?

The Demon Constantine has done some shit. Placing him in restraints and arresting him immediately is correct.

30. PrinceJonathan

PrinceJonathan Versed in the lewd.

If the desires weren't in Demon Constantine a year ago, does that hint they were artificially shoved inside his head?

Did the real John modify his Demon counterpart's desires to use him as a decoy?