1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Here's what he said.

Also I left another correction at the beginning of this page, maybe you should check it out in case you missed it.

Ardy and Prince Charon like this.
  2. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Oooh, a Guy interlude? Interesting. I wonder what he's looking into...

I mean, I'm sure you've had people give you honest respect. The League, for example, especially after losing the 'jackass' and 'idiot' reputation... Having relative strangers give it, without knowing what you've done or how you earned it? I suppose that's less familiar.

Quite the assemblage of stuff. Guess whoever owns this space is a bit of a hoarder, with eclectic tastes... And honestly, if you don't feel you've earned what you have, then you deserve to have it all the more. Because you still feel like you need to be better. Better than being prideful and arrogant only to break when it's stripped away.

Ah, one of the most.. alive.. of the Guardians. One who hasn't cast aside what it means to feel things other than Determination. I doubt most of his colleagues would bother with such a jumble of things.

But you've never felt that level of respect for them, have you? Still, I bet Appa enjoys the refreshing attitude.

I expect Appa just wants his guests to be comfortable. From what I've heard, he's got a nice relaxed attitude to leadership.

Like this. He probably is busy, but he takes his responsibility to lesser races seriously, so his door is always open.

Like I said, most of the other guardians have forgotten how to live. Ganthet and Sayd still have a little space left for things other than Will, but not nearly as much.

And Appa is the sort of guy who I expect would have had objections to what happened. I mean, he probably agreed that the Martians needed to be contained, but had different ideas on how they could be.

Recriminations and regrets? Must be a lot of them deep down in four or five billion years' worth of memories...

:confused: Wait what? I mean, I remember something vague about that... An alien he worked with?

...Okay, not the most tactful of responses... But hey, Guardian. It wouldn't be right if he was entirely compassionate, after all.

Oooh, is someone getting suspicious about What OL Knows? It's about damn time, really.

:rolleyes: Gee, it's too bad Green Rings aren't allowed to enhance memory. Plus, he didn't have that much contact with OL outside of training sessions early on, did he?

It appears Appa is himself suspicious...

And such minimal oversight that you didn't stop anyone moving in later, despite it being the Spectrum equivalent of a toxic waste dump... And yet people still trust the Guardians with shit... Probably because they're damn good at covering it up.

Not through any direct action.. for the most part, anyway.

In other words, stand back, watch and trust that he's not a second Larfleeze. Bet that burned some of the more Will-marinated jackasses.

Yes, do tell...

That's what comes from dominating the sector through force of will, I guess.

Ha! Every bit of this is amusing. :D Just the thought of a near-divine being... Going on a road-trip with Hal Jordan and Oliver Queen for a week or two...

Well, that's not really sporting, is it? Besides, would you trust little kids to have a good idea of how hard to hit without actually hurting?

Ah, flounder, American, flounder! So long as a Lantern, and he's still so provincial, at least about Earth...

The longer the operating time, the more potential for fuckups. And when you're operating on a galactic scale, some of those fuckups can be big...

The fact that five beings survived the culling, and went on to conquer a whole region of space, is probably above Guy's paygrade even now...

If only some of your brothers and sisters hadn't ignored that lesson. But people will be people, no matter how powerful.

If not for his devotion to Will, he might well have found another light to follow... Something more lively...

So, Guy sort of becoming Appa's personal agent, to some degree. Certainly, Appa trusts him more than the others would, blinded as they are by Green.

Best Guardian. Because he accepts that he can (and has) fucked up over the eons, and he will make up for it in the future...

And interesting moment for Guy, and revealing insight into Appa Ai Apsa and the Guardians. There's still a lot Guy's not being told, but at least now, he might be able to break out of the mushroom farm other Lanterns end up in. You know, kept in the dark and fed shit?

3. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

Seems unlikely

4. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Well the idiot part, maybe, but the jackass bit may still be there, just not so much now.

Ganthlet and Sayd also count, seeing as one of them is capable of Hope.

He might respect them to that level, but he may just find calling them 'Master' to be weird.

He may be okay with reducing them, but he may not have been okay with the whole separating them into three distinct races and the racism thing, assuming it was the Guardians who added the racism thing and not say the Martians, who apparently use telepathy for having children, at least from what I remember in that first Mars episode.so may have somehow brainwashed them in the womb.

Some of the species probably evolved there over time and didn't come from outside the sector.

And the Corps is also busy with a lot of things, like Apokalips, the Reach and who knows what else they've dealt with over the years that has kept them busy.

Now I'm picturing Fred, Barney and the Great Gazoo.

Don't forget Ganthlet and Sayd.

5. Oglymogly

Oglymogly I trust you know where the happy button is?

This Guy is my favorite Guy!
    Really, I love his growth you've shown over the years. This is the Guy who'll eventually go and try to master all of the colors, to prove to himself he can still grow.
    Thanks again for the interlude, more Guy is always great!

6. Z000

Z000 If this is trash, then find me in the dumpster

his child hood hero was the sidekick to a soldier guy who was too nut to be affected by the Spear of Destiny

so they shove some recruit his way as his side kick for the PR

most of them die and get replace until WW2 end

i don't remember which episode but i remember that it should be after Oceanus battle IIRC

zeebza, Ardy, infinityDivided and 5 others like this.
  7. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Probably at least mostly unabridged as the Guardians have no idea how much Paul knows or how he knows it, best not to keep to many secrets from him lest it blow in their faces.

DAT_NOOB, moralrelativity and Darko like this.
  8. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

In this story the Guardians and the Corps just patrol the Milky Way, as well as some parts of the surrounding galaxies and the places between them, but they don't patrol the entire universe.

9. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

He eventually went insane and kidnapped a bunch of people to make his own battleworld, aka Mosaic the patchwork planet.

10. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

A Guardian I actually like... that's a first.

Well written, Mr Zoat.

Cuchulin likes this.
  11. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

I've added the date to the Contents page.
    [​IMG]
    No one reads the FAQ.

12. jasonh23761

jasonh23761 Not too sore, are you?

I like this guy. Plus it's cool to see it from the other side, not just Paul railing against the seemingly monolithic entity that is the Guardians as a whole.

13. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Wait... there's a FAQ?!? ;)

topin89 and Cuchulin like this.
  14. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

I like Appa.

I hope Paul will push for Maltusian...exchange programs at some point. It would do all of them good to experience the other colours once in a while.

Ardy, Prince Charon, Vorian and 3 others like this.
  15. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

I don't know if I'm remembering right but I think not even the Guardians have the unabridged history of the green lantern corps.

But that might be New 52 lore and we know how much Zoat loves the New 52.

Ardy and Cuchulin like this.
  16. Valint

Valint I trust you know where the happy button is?

Canonically, the Controllers had nothing to do with Avarice. That's something fic-specific.

It's probably worth noting, for those who have based their conception of the Controllers on this fic that, in canon, the Controllers... well, they're not the good guys.

I mean, c'mon, it's right there in the name. If you have two groups, one who calls themselves "The Guardians" and another who calls themselves "The Controllers", and assuming both names are earnest and non-ironic, which one is more likely to be the good guys?

The Guardians destroy entire civilizations accidentally because of good intentions gone wrong; the Controllers destroy entire civilizations on purpose, because someone in that general neighborhood did something they consider evil (in one instance, "neighborhood" literally meant "in the same galaxy"). The Guardians are most known for the creation of an interstellar police corps; the Controllers are most known for the creation of super-weapons that can destroy stars.

IIRC, the final split with the Guardians occurred after the Manhunters wiped out an entire sector, not because of the loss of life, but because the Guardians refused to continue using the Manhunters.

The Controllers have had two corps in DC canon before: The first one was the Darkstars, which they decided had gone too independent (this was when John Stewart was in charge), so they just turned off their powersuits while the Darkstars were fighting for their lives vs. Grayven, and most of them died. The second was the Effigy Corps, in which the Controllers kidnapped people and turned them into mindless meat-puppets under their control, before that got shut down by Kyle Rayner.

17. Oglymogly

Oglymogly I trust you know where the happy button is?

I know this is a ongoing joke and all, but I had a thought. I checked, and the first post (which contains the faq) isn't trademarked. And while it seems intuitive that people will start reading from the beginning, I have a feeling most people start with the first threadmark instead.

So maybe the faq should get a informational threadmark?

erebus1994, zeebza and Ardy like this.
  18. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The Controllers have actually had something to do with the Orange Light in the comics.

Well, they were at least assimilated by Larfleeze.

Everything else is true though.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
  19. Mr Zoat

I think you've got that backwards, but I don't have the comic page on hand right now.

20. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Even if it did happen like Valint said, you could just use your version of events to explain what happened in this universe, even if it's not how it happened in the comics.

You've already done it before, like changing it so that Komand'r wasn't the one responsible for her people and sister being enslaved, while in the comics that was her fault and not because they lost the war years before or because their brother joined the resistance, or making it so that the Psions are vat-born instead of the males raping the women due to them being able to feel empathy.

zeebza, Cuchulin and DrThoth like this.
  21. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

The controllers didn't use the orange light in this fic either. Only Hinon and her brother did at the start, then when Paul went to Maltus and woke up Hinon it was determined her experiment was successful and that helped her and her brother recruit a few more controllers... Then Paul got the light fountain and even more controllers joined Hinons faction... Still the Orange light aligned controllers are still barely over a dozen (maybe two tops) and other controller factions and non aligned individuals exist in Maltus like the one that gave burning Martian powers to that human guy.

NightmareWarden and Cuchulin like this.
  22. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Actually, it was just Hinon. Every other Controller that linked up with the Orange Light Fountain only did so after Paul proved her gambit was a success and the two retrieved it from Larfleeze.

zeebza, Cuchulin and Darko like this.
  23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Actually the guy that made Effigy, Jevek, was a Controller and was using the Orange Light.

He just thought the Orange Lanterns weren't enough to help them in the war and decided to make something else to help with the war.

I think the number of Controllers may be around thirty, but there are still thousands of other Maltusians.

24. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

No the controller that took Paul to where Hinon was sleeping was part of her faction as well, he just moved on to do other things because she was an un unresponsive vegetable, but he admitted he took the time to check on her every once in a while.

Edit: Oh I see the mistake. Yes Hinon was the only one with a direct link to the orange light because she worked in the power ring project. The others weren't avarice specific until after they linked to the fountain, however that is not the same as saying Hinon was completely alone in her faction.

moralrelativity and Cuchulin like this.
  25. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think that the guy who took him there was Jevek, and I don't think they're siblings.

Plus I think Jevek only started using the Orange Light after Paul retrieved the Fountain, not before.

Ngamer11 likes this.
  26. Nero200

Nero200 Magus (derogatory)

Noticed this when looking for a specific part of the Heaven arc.
    I assume either the Renegade is working off a different understanding, or the Lantern aspect specifically is in play here?

27. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Either the local population does the whole good will tour thing, or a guy that flies with a ring is less intimidating than a warship.

28. Mr Zoat

Lantern Dul was talking about visiting places already favourably inclined towards the Orange Lantern Corps. Lex would just be turning up.

29. Finagle007

Finagle007 [Verified Great Old One]

Actually, that was Krona as well. He hacked the damn things and had them massacre everything in the sector, except for Atrocitus and the other four.

Otto von Saurion and protoss16 like this.
  30. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Either he didn't do it in this story or Apa doesn't know about it.