1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

QQ Minecraft server? Interest check/discussion, what modpack, etc.

Discussion in 'General' started by JadeKaiser, Nov 28, 2020.

1. JadeKaiser

JadeKaiser Fae apologist Moderator

Pre-script EDIT: Apparently, there actually IS already a QQ Minecraft server. Strange that I missed it when I was checking for such a thing, it has all the things I was searching by. Oh well. Might still be looking to start a second, modded one though. Probably not all out of my own pocket, but if there's interest enough...
    ~~~~

Hello everyone. I have been playing Minecraft for a while now, all singleplayer. I've been thinking about getting into the multiplayer side of things a bit, but I'm not really sure I want to jump into a random public server with a bunch of people I don't know at all. Plus, I've gotten pretty spoiled with modpacks at this point, so not really looking to go find a group playing vanilla, which is probably what would happen if I looked into any SB or SV servers.

As such, I decided maybe I should start a server of my own, out of a community I'm already familiar with. See if there's any interest, get some other people on board, stuff like that. This thread is for people to express interest or a lack thereof, and discuss how we would want it to be set up. I don't want pay for a server and then have nobody join! Of course, when/if the server actually gets going, this thread can also serve as general discussion.

For now though, just discuss whether you're interested, what modpacks you would favor or be willing to try, and other pre-server-opening things like that. If people are willing to contribute to the cost of renting it, I would appreciate, but if enough people are interested I'll probably be willing to pay for it all myself. I don't exactly have a huge income stream, but the monthly cost isn't that much.

First things first, this would obviously be a community server unless for some reason everyone wants it to be a closed one.

Second, we should discuss what kinds of modpack we are looking to use. Ideally a "kitchen sink" modpack is what I'm thinking, something that lets us all have plenty of fun with a variety of things while still remaining in the standard Survival Mode style of gameplay. To this end, the modpacks I've played a bit myself that at least somewhat fit the description are:

(+)Valhelsia 3: This modpack is notable for existing in the 1.16 Minecraft environment, meaning it's post-Nether update. It includes a lot of mods, but some of the most notable ones to me are Artifacts, Botania, Mekanism, Immersive Engineering, Astral Sorcery, and more. I will note that some of the cross-mod integration seems a little less in-depth than is some of the other mods I've played, and the JEI (Just Enough Items) integration doesn't go quite as far either, but both are still quite good. The mods with better integration are generally scenario-based mods anyways, so they don't really qualify for this to begin with. This is probably the modpack I would go to first, but I don't want to try running this as a dictatorship.

(=)FTB Revelation: This modpack is the one I've been playing most recently. It's set in the 1.12 environment, and so far... well, I've had a lot of fun with the fact that it has Tinker's Construct and Construct's Armory, along with a number of other 1.12 mods that I've wanted to try out in their non-scenario-modpack-altered forms, but I've had some issues with it as well. I'm not actually sure that villages are a thing in this modpack, because if they are then I've just been fantastically unlucky so far. Igloos are though, so if there aren't any villages at least we should be able to get some villagers by breeding? Unless that's been turned off too for some reason, I'm not exactly an expert but I haven't been able to get any baby villagers yet. Other things like that have showed up, so I'm not sure how much I want to pay for a server of this. I literally started playing it for the sole reason that I wanted to try a more vanilla modpack with Tinker's Construct stuff, so...

(-)All The Mods: I've played All The Mods 6. It was fun. Unfortunately, it also has memory leaks. Even assigning it 7GB of RAM in MultiMC while playing singleplayer, this modpack starts having issues after a few hours of play. Maybe that won't be an issue on a server, but... I'd rather not. It's just not worth dealing with it IMO.

(-NO-) SevTech: Ages: No. This modpack is not fun. This modpack is what happens when people go "Hey, harder things are more fun, right? And more tedious things are harder. Let's make everything as tedious as possible for starting players!" I included this on the list because I've technically played it, and it's technically not completely a scenario mod I wouldn't say, but no. Fuck no. A lot of people seem to like this modpack, but I refuse.

If you have suggestions for a different modpack, please do make them. I'm wide open to more ideas, here. If you want to discuss the mentioned modpacks, or ones that other people have already suggested, and try to sway each other and myself in one direction or another, please do. Such things are the purpose of this thread. If you don't into modding and modpacks, others should be willing to help you. I'm open to such, it if nothing else.

Also, server rules. What kinds of rules and etiquette are we looking to uphold? I'm thinking mostly an honor system with stealing being mostly a cause for ingame consequences rather than mod action unless it becomes a major problem. Also probably no serious griefing allowed, on pain of Bad Thingsā„¢, though it could be one of said ingame consequences if that's what people want. I am, of course, wide open to discussion and group consensus on this stuff as well.

Other than that... do we want this to be a roleplaying thing? A basic survival multiplayer? Kind of a mix? Something else I'm not aware of?

Those are all the pertinent topics I can think of for the moment, but there's probably other things I've missed. Feel free to bring them up.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
    TricMagic likes this.
  2. Sino-Soviet

Sino-Soviet Making the rounds.

Is this all set up?

3. JadeKaiser

JadeKaiser Fae apologist Moderator

Turned out there was already a QQ Minecraft server, I just didn't find the thread for it when I went looking for some reason. Unmodded. Link to the thread here:
    https://forum.questionablequesting.com/threads/qq-minecraft.1078/
    Usually just Garahs, Squirrely, and sometimes myself who are active, but it's pretty chill and friendly. Just don't grief or anything, and you should be fine.

4. Sino-Soviet

Sino-Soviet Making the rounds.

Ah I see, thank you for the link. Don't worry, I won't grief. See you there

JadeKaiser likes this.