1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

Hey Mister Zoat are you planning another update with Common-Sense!Paul soon? I’m curious what he’s gotten up to with Krona’s lantern and manhunter tech, as well as other Young Justice pitfalls that were avoided... or cases where he actually failed, despite thinking things through.

Cuchulin likes this.
  2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

I've already written one.

3. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Or automatic windows, or door-mounted speakers... @.@ Some cars require completely disassembling the door to get at that kind of thing instead of just being able to pop off the outer panel.

It was a fear borne of the 30s and 40s, refitted to a more modern battlefield. Humans... so slow to forgive.

4. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

The key phrase seems to be 'as once we were.' They have large numbers of worshipers, but the acts of worship aren't as frequent (too many Japanese people are too busy literally working themselves to death, or have other things they need to do) or as emotionally intense (the same people are too tired, or don't believe as hard as they once did).

AnirbanAn likes this.
  5. Threadmarks: Maladaptive (part 9)
    Mr Zoat

22nd July 2012
    13:02 GMT -5

I float through the glowing barrier and knock on the door of the Tower of Fate.

At the request of the Salem Tourist Board, John agreed to leave the Tower in 'manifested' mode most of the time. The Tower's outer surface, anyway. The majority of its mass is still extruded into the Earthsphere with the rest poking into the Dream proper. At this point the approximate location of the Tower's earthly anchor point is common knowledge and John said that he missed interacting with people. A few cameras are raised at my appearance, but sightings of me aren't that unusual and these people are mostly here to look at the strange non-Euclidean structure of the Tower itself.

"Yes?"

Mr. Nelson's voice. John's left the butler spell running, though now that I know what I'm looking at it's obvious that it's sub-sophont. No desires or other emotions at all. I assume that he's modified it according to his own requirements, but I haven't actually asked.

"Orange Lantern to see Lord Fate. Is he available?"

"I'm afraid that he's indisposed at the moment. Can I take a message?"

"I'm investigating the possible emergence of a God of Technology, and I'd like to coordinate with him."

"One moment."

I can just about feel it as the presence of the butler vanishes to report to John. Huh. I'm not actually sure what John does on a day to day basis. His secret identity doesn't have regular employment so he's not working regular hours. I know that Dr. Balewa keeps himself busy checking up on every site of mystical significance on the planet, but I don't-.

The door opens, the spectral figure of Mr. Nelson beckoning me inside.

"The Master will speak to you now."

I walk inside, looking around the entrance of the Tower. It's abandoned the medieval tower aesthetic totally, swapping in a foyer such as I would expect to find in an upmarket hotel. The front desk is abandoned and… No computers? Something from the middle of the previous century? It would fit with the aesthetic of the elevator.

"Please take the lift up to the library. He's waiting for you."

"Thank you."

I walk over to the closest elevator and press the 'call' button. The spectral image of Mr. Nelson vanishes, reappearing behind the desk and taking on a somewhat vacant look. Seems a bit… Odd, but I suppose that John hardly needs its assistance if there's nothing much going on.

I step inside the elevator and press the button for the library. The doors close and then there's a moment of dislocation as the Tower changes the elevator's entry point before opening the doors again. Certainly more efficient than actually having a lift shaft. I suppose that's the difference between 'follows the rules of the world' orderly and 'acts with greatest possible efficiency' orderly. I exit the elevator and walk through the towering bookshelves in the direction of John's work area.

He's busy studying the Orb of Nabu as I arrive, his eyes not leaving it for a moment. I just get a quick wave from his right hand as an acknowledgement. He's dressed in the Fate uniform minus the Helmet, which is sitting on a nearby desk.

"I'm looking for an unborn God of Technology. Any ideas?"

"That's not news."

I come closer, frowning.

"It is to me. And to the people whose machines are acting up."

"Earth is a thaumically active world that uses mechanical engineering en masse instead of sorcery." His hands move, his gaze still locked on the Orb. "Something like this was inevitable. Doctor Mist and I have been trying to come up with a plan for how to handle it."

"What have you got?"

"What we've got is that we shouldn't have to deal with this for another decade at least. Consciousnesses don't emerge from the Dream quickly. Usually."

"It's not Dream himself, is it? Because I really don't want to try picking a fight with one of the Endless."

"No, they don't care enough to do something like this. We're mildly interesting at best."

That statement doesn't entirely gel with what I remember from Sandman, but I suppose that it wasn't focused on what the Endless got up to on other planets. For all I know the bit we're shown is a trivial side note to their actual focus.

"This god has been forming since the invention of the internal combustion engine at the very least. It had a setback when humans shifted away from purely mechanical technology and towards electronic, but it managed to adapt to that a while ago. And now it's stirring."

"And that's what we're seeing?"

"Yes. Something's making parts of it act like it's awake when it's not. And I can't tell who and I can't tell why and that's a big problem."

"What's the worst-case scenario?"

He stops moving completely for a moment.

"The worst case-? Probably something like 'Darkseid gets control of everything more complex than a spring everywhere in the universe'. I don't think that's what's happening here, but I can't think of anything worse off the top of my head."

"Alright, what's the worst-case reasonably-probable scenario?"

"An evil magician is trying to use the god's power to destroy civilisation. Which is just as bad for us, but less bad for the rest of the universe. Whoever it is, I haven't been able to find them yet."

"Surely that narrows it down? There can't be that many people you can't overpower."

"I'm not a Lord of Order or a Lord of Chaos. I just stole their equipment. There are ancient magicians who never come to public attention who can hide themselves from me, if they're careful."

"So… Do we need to get hold of John Constantine?"

"We could, except I don't know where he is. And he definitely has the skill and power to keep me from finding him."

I frown.

"You don't think it's him, do you? I.. don't think-."

"No. No. John Constantine would only lash out against people he had a grudge against. This is going to affect the whole world."

"Okay. But we're sure this is a new god emerging from the Dream?"

"As opposed to what?"

"A titan."

He looks away from the orb and stares at me, blinking only very slowly. Slowly, he breathes in and out.

"Yes. And thank you for that heart attack."

"So what can I do that's useful?"

He returns his attention to the Orb.

"I could use a map of whatever incidents you can find. I can't afford to leave here right now."

I nod. "Okay, can do. Would intentionally using this nascent god's power for something hurt or help?"

"I'm not sure. If that's the sort of thing you want to do, let me know in advance. Either way, I might be able to learn something."

Last edited: May 7, 2021
  6. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

Pretty much confirmed to be a nascent god, then. Call me an optimist, but I wonder what the best-case scenario is?

7. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'cameras'

Yeah, I think in one of the previous times the inside of the Tower was brought up, it was mentioned that it looked like the inside of a 20th century hotel.

Hmm, I'm getting the feeling that some wizard sensed its impending birth and wanted to gain control of it.

I don't know Quinn, John can be a petty little asshole sometimes.

That's Paul.

Always making people regret ever meeting and knowing him.

8. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I love it when Paul, or someone he brings along, just drops something that makes people take a few seconds to look at him and process what he just said. It never gets old. The last big thing I can think of was Karmang being revealed to have been a White Martian.

9. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Paul befriends said divine and gets his/her/their/zhes help in his uplift the Earth project.

10. Yog

Yog Know what you're doing yet?

The Team / Justice League gets anew heavy weight member?

11. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

Could it be the Light? It's been a while.

Prince Charon, Relyt33, Ardy and 5 others like this.
  12. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

God goes to sleep for the next thousand years and anyone who tries to wake him early again gets vaporized.

13. gustyeagle

gustyeagle Know what you're doing yet?

Earth becomes the next Oa through a mix of magic and technology?

14. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Godcalling is probably a lot more common these days now that it's confirmed all kinds of god exist.

And the Darkseid guess might not be off. A New God with a mother/fatherbox might be able to pull something like this, right?

Still weird that Hephaestus/Vulcan isn't the technology god though.

Canonically Heph created automaton robots after all

15. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

16. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Makes sense.

They have Circe working for/with them, or at least with Truggs, so they have the magic mojo to control a god.

They also have motive, what with the whole lie most of them are telling themselves about wanting to improve the world, so they may think controlling this god can help them.

Though it'll probably backfire and cause technological regression.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
  17. FreeGod

FreeGod If you see a God on the road fuck it!

The god the technology agrees with Paul and really want to help the uplift project.

18. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Hephaestus and Vulcan have created automaton in this story.

Though their apparently part fire or earth elemental given a metallic body.

And they did explain why they're not a tech god.

Finerc, Relyt33, zeebza and 9 others like this.
  19. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ah, as expected, going for his number one contact for the mystical. Well, the number one contact not directly a member of the Justice League (Giovanni Zatarra, Angelica Blaze or Dr Balewa) or linked to Atlantis (Mera and Sephtian, basically...) Let's hope the talented hobbyist wielding the tools of a Lord of Order can be of some assistance...

Well, short of uprooting the Tower and hiding it elsewhere (a definite option with such a magical location,) anyone after it will have no trouble finding it. All they have to do is a quick internet search...

The magical equivalent of a dumb VI. Though it probably has enough detection spells to identify any lies or ill intent and take measures to prevent such intrusion.

...Dangit! Foiled by timing. It's like trying to start a GTA mission with a 'time of day' requirement... Or he just marked himself as 'Busy' to avoid showing up on the SuperFriends network? :p

Ah, the Doctor is in, but not taking visitors, then. Which we could see his face when he hears OL's message, it's bound to be hilarious.

John Quinn is probably doing a lot of reading, trying to get up to speed on all the things Nabu knew that he at least wrote down... The worry is all the things he didn't write down, eh, Murphy?

Shifting to match the mood of their owner, eh? I guess Quinn likes his decor in classic Noir Deco...

It's default waiting mode, eh? Just imagine Siri, Alexa or Cortana looking like this when you're not talking to them...

Better than 'absolute stasis' Order, certainly. But that's hardly compatible with, you know, life.

Well, it's hardly the strangest thing he's asked Quinn for.

You'd kind of think the people who knew it was coming would have, ya'know, warned other people about it? Unless that would have changed the very emergence itself...

'Handle it' as in prevent it, or 'handle it' as in make sure it happens safely? Or did they make plans for both?

I mean, Desire might back you in the matter, if only out of curiosity. Or simply ignore you, which is more likely. And generally, fighting an Endless never ends well for the Mortal.

Given that they can be present in multiple places simultaneously, I'm sure it would be. Death, at least, is a busy young lady...

It would make sense, then. Not a full Kingdom, not nearly yet. But a nascent Diety seems a lot more likely...

...And people say I taunt Murphy? Anyway, he has me on Ignore. :rolleyes: Too many pings.

Ugh, there's a nasty thought. Not sure how that woudl work, but it certainly gives all manner of images of killer androids... Most of which end up resembling ambulatory skeletons, you notice that?

Maybe... Because they're not in this era?

As we saw in the Renegade timeline, with Arion the Elder. Or with Karmang, who didn't show up until his attention was directly attracted by social upheavals.

Goddamit. OL, you really have to look into tracking him down somehow. A Constantine in the wind is trouble just waiting to happen...

Now, someone he pissed off, maybe. Remember the whole Beast/Black Dog situation? Or the artificial Fear God-Dragon thing?

Quinn, you should know by now, never ask that around OL...

...Because he can always make things worse.

Try not to poke your nose in unless Quinn or Balewa tell you to? To quote Princess Irulan from the opening of Dune: "Beginnings are delicate times..."

Okay, that, OL can do. Hell, pretty sure he's had his Ring AI running a tracking script for that sort of thing the whole time.

Please, OL. Please do not poke the developing god of technology in any way... Who knows how outside contacts influence it...

And so we have some clear confirmation. It's a developing god of Technology, huh? But someone's messing with it? Yeah, that's going to have to be dealt with. The hard part will be working out who the culprit is. Especially since we know of at least one time-travelling possibility. Guess the rest of the episode will turn to that... :D Can't wait!

20. GhostKing 666

GhostKing 666 Know what you're doing yet?

Believe me, Shintoism is very much alive and well in Japan. If Shinto gods are the type to draw power form their worshippers, then like the Hindu gods, the shinto gods of today would be stronger then they'd ever been before. The Abrahamic religions might have taken a crowbar to the native faiths of Europe, Americas and large parts of Africa, but they had significantly less success across much of Asia and the native faiths are still very much existent and culturally active and relevant.

21. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

And you'd know a lot about Murphy.

Siri and Alexa I can imagine, Cortana not so much.

They either did or they were still trying to figure out what's happening exactly before they did.

And getting that particular Endless to help is probably something that is best avoided.

Comic Hippolyta can attest to that.

That wasn't really taunting Murphy, that was just asking a perfectly good question.

Taunting Murphy would be 'Oh, I'm sure it won't be that bad'

Paul didn't say that, he just asked a good question.

Easier said than done.

A Constantine anywhere is trouble waiting to happen.

In the wind, in front of you, behind you, it's just trouble.

That narrows it down.

Paul can question suspect 1 to 764.987 and Quinn can ask suspects 764.988 to 1.234.531.

Within a decade they should be done.

Who else but Paul.

He's going to poke his nose.

We just know it.

Now I'm imagining this god imprinting on Paul and thinking of him as his mommy.

And that's how paragon became a parent.

And the universe gained another potential Paul.

Excuse, I'm going to go and drink now.

22. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

Ooo, maybe it's hell? Remember how they've been teching up lately?

I would have figured the god started forming with widespread use of steam engines during the industrial revolution rather than use of the internal combustion ones.

23. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

First thing that comes up is Metron, but he's more the New God of scientific inquiry than machines doing work - which is what we see here
    On earth, Thoth would be the old god of tech, but considering how Bast is barely scraping by, Thoth would be dead or dying.
    Maybe he died and that triggered this event?

I'm interested to see how this turns out, as MrZoat doesn't usually do OC:s.
    Also, from the description, it does not seem this new god will be based on an old, established power.

24. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Is that a Raising Steam reference I spy?

25. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Thoth, or Zehuti, is alive and well in this story.

He's one of the gods empowering Teth Adom.

The gods of this story seem to be less dependent on prayer and worship to continue existing.

Having a lot of worship may make it easier for them to influence the mortal world, but they can apparently exist without it.

26. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Actually in DC it should be Vext, God of Mishaps and Misfortune.

Son of the Goddess of Emasculating Shrews and God of The Perpetually Cuckolded.

On and off boyfriend of the Goddess of Romantic Relationships Gone Hellishly Wrong.

Happened to be around in the Garden of Eden when they decided to eat a certain fruit and when a ship sank that got a major motion picture by James Cameron.

Lives in Delta City, the city protected by the Heckler, who annoys the hell out of crime, having Seinfeildian non adventures like learning how to drive (and encounter a gamma irradiated road rage mutant car monster) or eating a hamburger (and eating a colony of sapient bacteria out to conquer the world!) for the first time.

27. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I don't know how to respond to this.

The fact that it exists is both somewhat surprising and yet makes a ton of sense.

28. CTrees

CTrees Chasing the ring

It could just be Paul's influence accelerating things. He's worked on various uplift projects, accelerating human technology, which may accelerate the emergence of the tech god. He's shown people that pagan religions are valid in-universe, and that angels and the silver city definitely exist, both of which are bound to increase global belief and worship of various gods, possibly making it easier for a new one to emerge. Also, Boss Smiley may have been working to suppress the god of technology, so if Paul's actions are distracting/countering that...

29. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

It -> Is
    Good point... I keep forgetting about Boss Smiley.

30. earlyriser

earlyriser Getting sticky.

Honestly, if this is the Light I hope it is Brain. He's appeared so rarely in the story I sometimes forget he is part of the organizaton.