1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Discord

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Bugs' started by Psyckosama, Dec 26, 2016.

1. Psyckosama

Psyckosama Connoisseur.

Let me make this short and succinct: QQ needs a Discord channel.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  2. gibbousmoons

gibbousmoons Well worn.

It's been brought up multiple times, and QQ does not need a Discord channel. We have a forum and an IRC, and Discord offers no concrete advantages for QuestionableQuesting as a forum when compared to an older, more stable system such as IRC.

Discord does offer voice chat, but QQ does not have the need for a dedicated voice chat server. If we do require one, then a better voice chat program such as Teamspeak or Skype.

For a text chat, Discord is also lacking. It lacks control+f search functionality and an easy way to manually download conversation history, both of which a basic browser-based IRC client supports, and as IRC is a mature technology there are many desktop and smartphone clients that add much more functionality. There are also issues with Discord as a service. There are many issues that occasionally crop up with connection that require system resets or software re-installs.

In short, it is the opinion of the staff that QQ does not need a Discord channel.

3. Plotvitalnpc

Plotvitalnpc Personification Personified

Can't even set up noise only notifications with Discord.

Ddmkm122 and Subrosian Smithy like this.
  4. Psyckosama

Psyckosama Connoisseur.

Yeah. That's annoying as shit.

But it has a lot of good features about it.

Frankly I find IRC to be pretty much stuck on 1995 on the user end. It's pretty terrible.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  5. Plotvitalnpc

Plotvitalnpc Personification Personified

I wouldn't feel safe having notifications on for a QQ discord, and I wouldn't actually be able to engage in discussions on it comfortably without any sort of notifications.
    Frankly, I use it only because some people I talk to find it convenient.

Ddmkm122 and Subrosian Smithy like this.
  6. Horton

Horton Gone for Good

Amen to this.

I'd be less opposed to Discord if they allowed us to plug IRC clients into them and we weren't forced to contend with the blasted client that Discord uses. As I can't stand that thing.

Plus, there's the fact that Discord has no way of making money at the current time, so it's likely in the future if the guy who owns it doesn't sell it off, as he has a history of doing so, we could see it becomes laced with adverts or something like that. Which is lame.

Anybody with a functional brain should be able to quickly set up an IRC client with auto login functions. Heck, there's even free bouncer services out there that alleviate issues with it not saving the history. IRC is easy, if the argument for not using it is that it's "Hard" then I seriously question how you function a computer in the first place, as that's honestly really damn dumb.

Ddmkm122 and Labuto like this.
  7. Nightgazer

Nightgazer Cute Lil' Pegasus Gone for Good

Are you talking about the Elder Spirit of Chaos and Disharmony?

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  8. Psyckosama

Psyckosama Connoisseur.

. . .

No Kaydee, I'm not.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  9. Nightgazer

Then what are you talking about here?

Oh...

I don't go by that name anymore.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  10. Psyckosama

Psyckosama Connoisseur.

Seriously?

Don't care.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  11. Biigoh

Biigoh Primordial Tanuki Moderator

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discord_(software)

Not the goddess, not the thing that people created in the modern day, but the internet chat software...

Ddmkm122 and Happerry like this.
  12. gibbousmoons

gibbousmoons Well worn.

As is obviously the case by the content of this thread. This is not a My Little Pony thread. Do not attempt to drag it off topic.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  13. Horton

Horton Gone for Good

No, some kind of weird IRC knock off that's more ugly and has no long term way of making money.

14. Psyckosama

Psyckosama Connoisseur.

You seriously have no fucking idea what you're talking about.

Jamesson Locke and Ddmkm122 like this.
  15. Nightgazer

Whatever you say now Baldy.

Thanks.^_^

At least -somebody- bothered to give a link explaining it now.

I appreciate you clearing up the confusion on this subject now.

Stop accusing me of stuff I ain't guilty of. :angry:

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  16. Horton

Horton Gone for Good

Because I do?

Discord has taken literally MILLIONS in startup funds. If you seriously think that the investors won't want their money back, along with the actual costs of running the thing on damn AWS, which costs a fortune, then YOU have no idea what you're talking about. Emoticons just won't cut it for what people plan to use it for and OTHER business ideas that have operated along the same principles have failed in the long run.

17. Souffle

Souffle Know what you're doing yet?

After using it for more than a year, I can easily say that Discord is the future. The very fact that it has 2-factor authentication puts it miles ahead of IRC. Since the thread happened, It's gotten search among other features (and a much richer search than, at least, mIRC or the web irc clients I know of). Cross-platform support is 100% free unlike irc cloud, and is implemented far better. You don't need to use the client to log in. Making your own server is piss easy. Inline pictures (that can be disabled if you want.)

Emojis are a neutral thing. You swim in them or you hate them. You can have custom ones, though, which works out fine.

It's obviously not without it's downperks: Joining a server means you show up in it, even when totally offline, unless you leave it. You can't customize your notification sounds. You're limited to a mere 2mb per picture upload unless you go Turbo. There have been brief outages, but nothing more than an hour or so, at least to my experience.

All that said I gotta say that the whole 'it succ up the resources' thing seems either wrong or something else was playing a part. I've never seen discord come up to or past 100mb in heavy use of ram usage, and at idle...

[​IMG]

I should mention i'm in 43 servers, and im mainly active in 8 of them. Most of the rest are mainly special interest or video game servers where I can get questions answered fairly simply.

You know at the end of it all I don't really know why we don't just have both and see which end up working better for whomever. It's obviously not going to split the forumbase since the origin is the forum in the first place. It's free, after all.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  18. alethiophile

alethiophile Shadowed Philosopher Administrator

Putting a significant piece of community infrastructure in the hands of an arbitrary third-party service without any open standard or interoperability is not generally well-indicated.

19. Souffle

Souffle Know what you're doing yet?

Sorry. But what do you mean in particular?

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  20. alethiophile

alethiophile Shadowed Philosopher Administrator

IRC is a specified protocol with multiple client and server implementations. Anyone can host a server, and anyone can write a client with arbitrary functionality. Currently we use Freenode, but if we wanted to change it, we could go to a different host with minimal disruption.

Discord is a Web app provided by a single company, operated via an opaque API. You're limited to the client they provide, and only they can host a server. Should there be some issue on the server end, we would have no recourse, and would have to stop using Discord.