1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Glorious Linux Penguin Correspondence

Discussion in 'General' started by Whitesnake Pelinal, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Whitesnake Pelinal

Whitesnake Pelinal Like a dream without a dreamer

Didn't see a Linux thread anywhere in General, decided there ought to be one, as I was discussing the topic at some length in an unrelated thread.

[​IMG]

Conu likes this.
  2. Whitesnake Pelinal

moved from "Things you over-react to":

If you want the option to play any game that comes out, the present reality is that you'll want to dual-boot windows. This is a straight-forward thing to accomplish, buy the system with windows and install linux on a second partition or SSD. I find linux to be sufficient for gaming lately because I am willing to pick among the titles that Steam supports on Linux, such as Borderlands 2 and Civ 5, and those native titles that are worthwhile, such as 0 A.D., and the titles which work well with wine, such as EVE Online.

In steam you can see which of the games you currently have your library will play on linux by picking the dropdown option "SteamOS+linux" to the right of the search bar above the list of games.

Distro wise, I recommend Linux Mint because it's the one I know and can speak for.

Here is an article describing, step by step, what is involved in installing nvidia drivers, which are unpopular with open-source aficionados but which deliver the best gaming performance available on linux:
    https://johners.tech/2017/01/11/installing-the-latest-nvidia-graphics-drivers-on-linux-mint-18/

FTR2017, Mu-Sensei, Tea and 2 others like this.
  3. Whitesnake Pelinal

List of worth-while games vouched for (that is, personally played) on Linux:
    (I'll add any games other QQers have played on Linux and approved of)

0 A.D.
    Amnesia: the Dark Descent
    Borderlands 2
    Crusader Kings
    DOTA 2
    Dungeons 2
    EVE Online
    Higurashi
    Master of Orion
    Rocket League
    Sid Meier's Civilization V
    Shadowrun Returns/Dragonfall/Hong Kong
    Starbound
    Stardew Valley
    Stelleris
    Talos Principle
    Torchlight 2

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  4. UrsaTempest

UrsaTempest Yuri Fanatic, Archivist

Stardew Valley!
    Shadowrun Returns/Dragonfall/Hong Kong!
    Most Ren'py-created VNs can export to Linux, too.

Whitesnake Pelinal likes this.
  5. Dakkaface

Dakkaface Magical Defender of Justice

Thanks for reminding me. Finally just got round to putting Mint on my computer to replace the unvalidated install of Win7.

It's a bit of a bear at the moment trying to find workarounds for MWO/Guild Wars 2, but about half of my Steam library looks like it'll transfer over.

6. UrsaTempest

I probably will switch to Arch. Not now, though, maybe after second semester. I like Ubuntu, but I want to try something different.

Conu likes this.
  7. Whitesnake Pelinal

Have you tried it out on a livecd or USB stick or somesuch? What's it like?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
  8. UrsaTempest

Apparently, it doesn't believe on silly things like 'Live CD' and some such.

It's almost like Gentoo, except most everything is already precompiled at least.

9. Whitesnake Pelinal

For GuildWars 2, are you using https://boxedfox.org/projects/winegw2/ or PlayOnLinux or what? I've kind of wanted to give it another go sometime, haven't really played since a few months after release.

10. Dakkaface

Well, I was going to go with PlayOnLinux, but that looks like an interesting option.

11. Horton

Horton Gone for Good

I have to say, Debian + SSD + non laptop is fast as fuck.

12. Whitesnake Pelinal

I'm interested to hear how it works out.

Any games you're willing to vouch for as having played well (and being worth playing)?

13. UrsaTempest

Aaaaalright, I'm gonna try my hand on Arch Linux. But first, I'm backing-up everything. Everything.

Let's hope I don't accidentally set my laptop on fire.

PS: Dungeons 2, Amnesia: the Dark Descent, is also playable on Linux/Steam. You might want to add something like 'General game made by Ren'py' - too many to list, and generally if the dev isn't lazy they can just export it so it's playable on Linux.

Whitesnake Pelinal and Conu like this.
  14. UrsaTempest

I'm still alive. Takes close to 11 hours to install though. Probably because shitty Internet.

vyor and Conu like this.
  15. Dakkaface

As a general operating system, Mint seems fine thus far. If it wasn't for a gamer I'd recommend it. On the other hand...

Tried to get GW2 working - no success thus far with either PlayOnLinux or that other install.
    Tried to get MWO working - success with Crossover! It also runs like I'm playing the beta on my old shitty Dell, i.e. a fucking unplayable slideshow. Going to have to try and optimize this, but I'm unsure how much I can do there - the bottle is a 32bit WinXP and it doesn't recognize my graphics card.

Also, even though it's a native install or Linux, I'm having a weird issue with Borderlands 2 - it doesn't like multiple inputs at once or something - I keep getting a stutter on right clicking, so I'm unable to aim down sights or fire 2 weapons while gunzerking consistently.

16. UrsaTempest

Oookay.

So far, with my configuration (Arch Linux being ridiculously customizeable...) Steam runs much better than Ubuntu. Pretty much just request it from repo and it installed without fuss, and running without fuss, too.

I haven't test all my Steam games, for obvious reason, but the one that should run on Linux, does. Including Higurashi, that for some inexplicable reason refused to run on Ubuntu.

Installing dotnetframework on WINE (fresh from repo, except the architecture changed to 32-bits) also goes smoother than Ubuntu.

17. Horton

Horton Gone for Good

Stelleris is quite nice.

I'm trying to get Age Of Empires HD to work through WINE, but no luck so far.

18. Whitesnake Pelinal

Spent some time the last few days playing Torchlight 2 on Linux Mint 18, it ran without incident, seemed to perform well (game with moderate specs, on a moderate spec laptop).

Don't think it competes with Diablo 3 in terms of complexity of character building, but the visual aesthetic is quite nice, and the fights have been suitably entertaining.

Tried Bastion a couple days ago, I remember it fondly from PC gaming. Ran into a bug where the cursor continually cycled through options on the attack selection menu, serious impediment to playability.

19. Lydia

Lydia Versed in the lewd.

Crusader Kings should also run ok on Linux, the only problem I have is that my laptop is to weak.
    I can also recommend the Talos Principle, it's a puzzle game pretty similar to portal with an interesting backstory.

20. UrsaTempest

Oh, right. Disgaea 2 is just released, and it is playable on Linux.

I was too late to receive the beta Linux test back then :/

EDIT: I haven't actually try it, but I don't see any complaints yet.

21. vyor

vyor Oh that's cute

As a note, you'll need modern hardware to run Talos, it's a rather demanding game(I'd rec an AMD card for it, as it runs better on those, RX460 should play it well enough for a budget build).

22. Lydia

Not really it runs pretty good on my 250€ laptop, and my laptop was the cheapest you could get 3 years ago that still had a 19' screen.

23. vyor

vyor Oh that's cute

???
    How!?

Is it a 720p screen or something!?

24. Lydia

25. vyor

vyor Oh that's cute

26. Whitesnake Pelinal

Thanks, I'll add Talos Principle to my list.

If you ever play Crusader Kings on Linux let me know; I'll add any game that has been played successfully on Linux by a QQ member to that list post.

Edit: I'll add that I've been playing some DOTA 2 on my Linux Mint laptop and it's worked quite nicely. No issues, performance was solid.

27. Lydia

I played the only problem was that my laptop got too hot.

28. UrsaTempest

I got Stellaris, courtesy of aoirann (thanks again!) . I can confirm it run smoothly on my computer, the only problem is there's a slight sound issue, but it fixes itself in short time. It works fine now.

I suspect it's because Arch Linux doesn't have old gstreamer0.1 plug-in, but I obviously don't know for sure.

aoirann and Whitesnake Pelinal like this.
  29. Dakkaface

Picked up Pillars of Eternity in the recent sale - runs great on Mint and is an incredible, streamlined blast from the past. Plays like an incredibly improved Baldur's Gate, and is much less fiddly. Although I did get a fun graphical glitch once where my main character's leg elongated and whipped around the screen while my body slowly tumbled away to the left. It reset once combat ended and my druid detransformed though.

Conu and UrsaTempest like this.
  30. Mu-Sensei

Mu-Sensei No Work, No Life.

So, anyone has any experiences with triple booting? I'm trying to boot Windows, Linux Mint and Android (RemixOS) on the same PC, but the grub is giving me trouble.

Specifically, when booting to android, Grub2 calls Windows Bootloader (which redirects it to Unetbootin) to then call android via it's own grub.

Does it need to be soo convoluted?