1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Interface | A Log Horizon Quest

Discussion in 'Questing' started by Vindictus, Jan 14, 2017.

1. Grosstoad

Grosstoad Whimsical Paranoid Creeper

[X] A Nekama, it's what you actually are... Literally. You're gonna kick Ichiro in the balls the next time you see him.

Ddmkm122 and Imabot like this.
  2. Lifelink

Lifelink Every flavor in a poke-cup

So you picked a race whose skills are randomly lost and acquired alongside a support class who could well lose the skills needed to succeed? Good luck...

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  3. Imabot

Imabot Connoisseur.

I really tough that correct term was Okama. I was wrong and I corrected my vote.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  4. Vindictus

Vindictus Experienced.

Theoretically, you could end up better off- Dropping a low level skill from your class, and gaining a higher level skill from another class.

After thinking about it, though, and given this is the second complaint, I figure I might as well give the option to go back and re-do chargen. It's not like we've gotten very far yet anyway.

So, do you want to restart? (One time offer)
    [] Yes
    [] No

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  5. Imabot

Imabot Connoisseur.

[X] No

I'm okay with this character. You have people voting in your quest so that probably means they don't really mind this maybe even find this more interesting. Like me. Well as long we still play as a guy who will try to find a way to go back to his original gender like Akatsuki. A quest for appearance changing potion sounds like a good motivation. Before his mind will slowly become that ones of a woman.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  6. GiftofLove

GiftofLove A Gift From The Heart

I am never OK with an expy as a PC character, but I am even less OK taking the chargen away from the players who were here before me.

[X] No

This is what they wanted. So I'm not going to yank the carpet out from under their feet. The race doesn't bother me at all, aside from a dislike of Kistune. Random class abilities is a cool quirk.

Ddmkm122, Candesce and Imabot like this.
  7. Imabot

Imabot Connoisseur.

Yea. All one of them! ;)

Ddmkm122 and Grosstoad like this.
  8. redaeth

redaeth Stubborn pedantrist

[X] No

My primary motivation in voting the way I did in character creation was to mimic someone starting out and looking at what seemed interesting instead of what would make the best build. This guy was going in blind for what was to be his first character so I picked what appealed to me on the surface instead of diving into the mechanics of each choice.

9. Vindictus

Vindictus Experienced.

Honestly, as far as mechanics goes... given the way the random skill mechanic is written, you've got a higher probability of losing low level skills than high ones.

The mechanic isn't very well expanded on- It was mostly a way for the author to differentiate between the skills of Shiro and Nureha, from what I understand, not a mechanic he thought out in detail- but the way I've got it modeled is that every 5 levels, you have a one-in-ten chance of losing one of your current skills and gaining a new skill at random from the list of known skills.

So at level five, with two skills, you've got a 1-in-10 chance of getting one of your two skills swapped out for something different, which boils down to a 1-in-20 chance of losing either skill. At level 10, you'll have three skills, meaning that the probability of any given skill being lost at that stage is 1 in 30- And so on and so forth down the line, with more opportunities to lose the low level skills, and lower chances of losing the high level ones.

I mean, I'm not going to run the math to find the exact probabilities of losing any given skill, but the odds are in favor of losing the more basic/early skills, overall. You're totally rolling the dice on what you get in exchange, though, so it's just as likely you get a skill based around drawing aggro as it is for you to get a DPS type skill.

Overall, I think the fox-tail's random skill swap should have less impact on gameplay than the choice of subclass- But then, looking at them, subclasses are almost totally unbalanced.

Ddmkm122 and Par Tzu like this.
  10. Koled

Koled Versed in the lewd.

Well it seems we can adquire and not level some skills to have a buffer that provides some safety for the important ones.Not something that is going to work all the time because RNg is a cruel mistress but it should help quite a bit.
    Plus there is a chance of obtaining something useful or fun enough to bother leveling instead of using it as ablative armor against the dice gods.

Overall it seems like something that would be fun to play around with.

[X] No

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  11. Kinruush

Kinruush what

[X] A studious girl.

[X] No

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  12. Lifelink

Lifelink Every flavor in a poke-cup

[x] No

I wasn't complaining, just wishing you luck for being screwed over a good 80 out of 10 skills. Sure you could get a higher level one but you could be replacing your healing buff skill for a skill that could give you 120% bonus for attacking with your fist weapon from the Monk class.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  13. Garahs

Garahs Soil Surveyor

I'm reluctant to think the skills are that specific. We could get a skill that gives us 120% bonus on a weapon atrike, which is usually accessible only for monk, but I doubt it would go more specific.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  14. GiftofLove

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  15. Threadmarks: Everything you are (not)
    Vindictus

Vindictus Experienced.

You've never been particularly good in school.

It's not that you were stupid. You just didn't like the place. From the first day you'd gone to school as a young child, your classmates had singled you out and excluded you. No, that wasn't right. You hadn't understood why at the time, but over the years you think you've figured it out- You had singled yourself out because instead of reaching out with your own hands, you'd been content to sit and wait for them to come and join you instead.

By the time you had figured out what you did wrong, the bonds of friendship had already been forged in every group- And you were left standing on the sidelines, a stranger who occasionally attempted to join the game, until you eventually stopped trying.

But now... This was different. It was weird. And it was an opportunity.

If you had been trapped in the game, then maybe the other players had as well- All of you thrust together into a new world, put face to face with new people you had never met, and allowed to mingle and form groups. It was the first day of school again.

But this time, you knew what you were doing- sort of- and had a plan.

If the person you had been before was an arrogant loner who didn't apply himself and had no friends, then in order to cover the weakness of your character your 「MASK」 would have to be the opposite- The kind of studious, hard-working girl who made good grades and good friends.

Talking to people is haaaaaard.

You spare a moment for that idle thought as you try to find your way through the Adventurer City of Akihabara. At some point, squinting your eyes to deal with the sunlight, you managed to bring up... Some sort of menu that identified people, with names and titles. The ones with super high levels and names that don't sound like they got pulled from a fantasy novel are obviously players, but that doesn't help when most of them are either in shouting matches just short of coming to blows, or are slumped around the place, eyes staring out as if they thought they might find some answer in the heavens above.

You look up once just to make sure. There are no answers, only blue.

A few of the players seem to have handled the sudden turn of events better than the rest of the crowds, but they all walk through the town with a definite purpose. It's difficult to bring yourself to interrupt them, even though you curse yourself internally for your weakness.

That said, you can't just sit around and do nothing. You need to talk to someone, before you lose your nerve completely.

[] Stop one of the people who are walking with a purpose. They're probably busy, but if you can persuade them to help, well, you've already seen that they react to problems by doing productive things, right?
    [] Interrupt one of the arguments. This isn't the best time for fighting, you think- And even if people have that sort of angry energy, wouldn't it make more sense to fight monsters, instead of each other?
    [] Cheer up one of the listless loungers. These people are eyesores, like you were. You can't leave them to just rot, not after you just decided to remake yourself in this new world. Can't you just fix them, too?
    [] You can't talk to a real person. But maybe... Talking to an NPC should be like an easy mode, right? There are a few people around who you're pretty sure are NPCs, you can practice talking on them.

16. Imabot

Imabot Connoisseur.

I just remembered that voice of characters does not change right away to fit your chatacter gender. So that Studious girl must have a deep voice that will imidietly betray us unless our PC must have very feminie or androgynous tone of voice.

So all that girl act is kinda pointless otherwise.

17. Grosstoad

Huh, looked into the episode 1, apparently so... Retcon to make the voice changed to the avatar's for convenience's sake?

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  18. Garahs

Garahs Soil Surveyor

[X] Stop one of the people who are walking with a purpose. They're probably busy, but if you can persuade them to help, well, you've already seen that they react to problems by doing productive things, right?

I think I'll go with this. Someone moving with focus is less likely to lash out in anger.

It's also not come up in votes yet, but we should save the exp potions until we're level 30 or so when exp slows down. I think we stop getting them at level 25.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  19. GiftofLove

[X] You can't talk to a real person. But maybe... Talking to an NPC should be like an easy mode, right? There are a few people around who you're pretty sure are NPCs, you can practice talking on them.

Let's make our own adventure.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  20. Vindictus

Vindictus Experienced.

Eh... I don't want this to be an issue, so I'll rule that while your voice is deeper than average for a woman, it's not immediately recognizeable as a 'male' voice.

21. Imabot

Imabot Connoisseur.

[X] Stop one of the people who are walking with a purpose. They're probably busy, but if you can persuade them to help, well, you've already seen that they react to problems by doing productive things, right?

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  22. redaeth

redaeth Stubborn pedantrist

[X] You can't talk to a real person. But maybe... Talking to an NPC should be like an easy mode, right? There are a few people around who you're pretty sure are NPCs, you can practice talking on them.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  23. Omergosh

Omergosh Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

[X] You can't talk to a real person. But maybe...Talking to an NPC should be like an easy mode, right? There are a few people around who you're pretty sure are NPCs, you can practice talking on them.

I feel like this would our whole 'studious approach' thing well, and help us work our way up. I'd also be fine with going to people who know what they're doing.

Ddmkm122 and GiftofLove like this.
  24. Koled

Koled Versed in the lewd.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  25. Grosstoad

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  26. ShadowAngelBeta

ShadowAngelBeta Well worn.

I... what? No MMO would survive having a skill system like that. Literally not even one. Being able to choose a skill every few levels to drop in and essentially gacha chance getting a newer, better one would at least work.

27. Vindictus

Vindictus Experienced.

This probably isn't going to surprise anyone at this point, but this story is going on hiatus. I severely underestimated the amount of time I'm going to have to commit to my studies and extracurriculars this semester, which took me from 'I can afford an hour or so every day to write, right?' to 'well every other day maybe' to 'Fuck fuck fuck' in short order.

28. zeromass

zeromass Experienced.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  29. Garahs

Garahs Soil Surveyor

Story is in hiatus for now, fyi.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  30. Aoinfinity

Aoinfinity Unlimited blue works

Dropping a vote in now and watching the thread. Good luck on your studies, QM!

Ddmkm122 likes this.