1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Politics, The Friendship Breaking Topic

Discussion in 'General' started by Biigoh, Feb 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

There is no reason to believe that.

First: the gap between Trump and Clinton was so slim that it's within the Margin For Error- meaning we currently do not know who won the popular vote. Granted, it is more likely than not Hillary, but that's a 60/40 split on the odds. Those odds may work for Vegas and shitty reporters, but not for me or the future of a country. A nationwide recount would be required, one so thorough that we still, today would not know who won the election.

Then there is this. If the trends from the recounts are accurate to the whole country (which I seriously doubt) then Trump won the popular by at least two or three million votes. But that would still be within margin for error here.

Plus, well, a lot of people see their vote as meaningless, so they don't vote. Over 90 million eligible voters simply chose not to. My mother, as an example, has never in her life voted for anyone. Full stop.

The largest percent of those voters? Live in "already decided" states.

http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-ln-california-voters-20161107-story.html

Now, this is true of both Dems and Reps (states like Texas and California, respectively) but by sheer mass of population, a straight vote actually favors Republicans. Because, well, California and New York. California has 38+ million people, roughly. New York has almost 20 million (8.5 in the NYC itself). Another 11 mil scattered elsewhere.

Turnout in battleground states is always higher.

7.4% greater turnout. Which translates to roughly 15% more of the voting population turning up.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2012/12/23/voter-turnout-swing-states/1787693/

Now, if we look at NY's largest bordered neighbor, PA.

[​IMG]

That slammed hard to the Right this time around. Well... you can expect there'd be a lot of New York voters that'd go for Trump if they thought their vote mattered. Numbers would climb for Reps in the big states.

Compared to, say, Texas. Almost 28 million people. Which would get a bunch of Dem voters.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_United_States_Census

That's all states.

Now, if that 15% voting population increase favors the candidate that cannot win the state by even as much as 2%... (in short, a 6.5% for the winner, and 8.5% for the loser)... well... the only times in recent history that Democrats could have won would have been Obama and Kennedy. Both of whom had unusual and remarkable campaign and demographic outcomes. All other elections would have favored Republicans too heavily.

In other words: you should be glad the Electoral College is there. It's what keeps Republicans in Urban California from bothering to vote. Granted, it also keeps Democrats in Rural Montana from voting. But do you know how many people live in Rural Montana? Twelve. There are exactly twelve people living in Montana.

... On the other hand, a straight vote would force both political parties to behave completely differently to how they currently behave, and thus there is no reason at all to assume anything we know about American Politics would resemble anything as we think about it.

We're in the "so many potential x-factors in this alternate universe that there's a good chance none of our parents' parents would have ever met" realm.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
    Rakdos92, Ddmkm122, Alias and 8 others like this.
  2. The Shadowmind

The Shadowmind Well worn.

Polls simply take a sample of population at random to get an example of what the larger group believes, since it is inefficient to ask everyone. It isn't exact, which is why margins on errors exist. People's opinions change overtime, so while 50% may support one thing today, 30% could support it tomorrow. Polls should not be used for prediction, which is why election polls aren't very useful since they are inherently trying to predict who is going to vote.

Gallup's poll right now is 52% Disapprove, 42% Approve, with a margin of error of ±3
    http://www.gallup.com/poll/201617/gallup-daily-trump-job-approval.aspx
    So the actual number is somewhere between
    55-49 Disapprove, and 45-39 Approve.
    Unless there is a major fuck-up in methodology.

3. Robotninja

Robotninja Connoisseur.

No. 3 million people is not slim. We do in fact know who won the popular vote. Hilary.
    Yeah, no. Twice in living memory it has benefited the GOP by putting someone in office. Both times the candidate was far worse than the one they were running against.

Drode, Ddmkm122 and Ugolino like this.
  4. Terthna

Terthna Professional Lurker

• Bad faith debating
    Were you not paying attention to the election coverage? Or is it that their reporting matched your own biases, and thus you accepted it as fact?

Fine then; just to prove a point, I'll indulge you. Now I don't follow the New York Times religiously, so I can only recall one major example that doesn't involve the election off the top of my head (as I suspect you'd immediately reject anything I posted regarding that), but do you remember the build up to Bush's war in Iraq? How the New York Times published various "scoops" from Iraqi opposition leader Ahmed Chalabi, a man who's word the intelligence community considered highly suspect? Their reporting was instrumental in convincing the Democrats to go along with invading Iraq and marginalizing anyone who was opposed; leading to the deaths of millions, and a region that still hasn't recovered. I think that's quite a bit worse than anything Breitbart is accountable for.

Face it; the New York Times has been a mouthpiece for the political establishment for decades. The only reason they're against Trump now, is because they don't see him as being part of that.

5. Robotninja

Robotninja Connoisseur.

So they fucked up and did not do proper diligence. That is not the same thing as maliciously fabricating a story from whole cloth. That is an order of magnitude worse.

Ddmkm122 and StriderAnarchy99 like this.
  6. Whitesnake Pelinal

Whitesnake Pelinal Like a dream without a dreamer

• Bad faith debating
    Honey, you don't set the rules. I need only back up what I've said, not some set of goal posts a hundred yards from what I've said.

New York times publishes fabricated stories and indulges in plagiarism:
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...6aca28-d45d-11e3-95d3-3bcd77cd4e11_story.html

Washington Post publishes fabricated story:
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/kalevle...ssian-hacking-of-the-power-grid/#4fa79fc0291e

CNN analyst parrots hoax:
    http://freebeacon.com/issues/cnn-commentator-believes-hoax-story-mother-died-trump-travel-ban/

7. Terthna

In other words, you're giving them the benefit of the doubt; doesn't Breitbart deserve the same? Oh, right, they don't; because you despise their politics.

I'm done with you.

Rakdos92, Berossus, Ddmkm122 and 5 others like this.
  8. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Verified Force User

Something more recent: the Jessica Leeds sexual assault by Trump story was one 'investigated' and ran by the NYTimes and then later found to be bullshit.

That one was just off the top of my head. It's really not difficult to find major political bullshit stories from every major news source.

CBS: the fake Air Force letter (GWB) that cost Dan Rather is career is another.

Brian Williams lost his anchor job at NBC for his fake story about being in a helicopter battle in Iraq? Of course he's on MSNBC now.

MSNBC: HAHAHAHA. Is there one story they cover that's actually true?

Katie Couric's: fake gun control scandal.

etc. Ad nauseam.

Rakdos92, Ddmkm122, Tea and 5 others like this.
  9. Robotninja

Robotninja Connoisseur.

Yes, an individual was able to lie on the NYT. But they had no part of that as an organization. Once he was exposed as a liar, they did not give him a platform to do more lies with.

The post link does not lead to any page.

Okay. So they believed in something that was not true.

None of that compares to outright setting out to fabricate a news story out of whole cloth, using deceptive editing to outright lie to people about what happened.
    No, I do not give Breitbart the benefit of the doubt because what they did was not a fuck up. They intentionally set out to fabricate a news story as a political hit piece. Twice. Show me a time when the "MSM" did the same. Not bad reporting. Outright premeditated lies, using deceptive editing.
    None of that is on par with intentionally fabricating a news story.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  10. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Such balanced and accurate claims full of facts and logic. Many citations and proof of your stance. Much wow. ... Oh, wait, you provided none of those things.

I plan to start reporting people who aren't following this rule.

What about intentionally covering up news stories?

http://www.dailywire.com/news/8417/cnn-cut-out-what-milwaukee-shooting-victims-sister-chase-stephens

Rakdos92, Berossus, Ddmkm122 and 7 others like this.
  11. Whitesnake Pelinal

That's quite the large claim there, asserting that Breitbart "intentionally set out to fabricate a news story as a political hit piece". No doubt this statement feels emotionally valid to you, but I require something more: proof.

Cite your proof that Breitbart did as you have just claimed.

Not to mention deliberately representing what a person said, as being the opposite of what they said. "oooooh peaceful calls for peace" as opposed to the "burn the suburbs" bit they choose to edit out.

Rakdos92, Ddmkm122, wintell and 5 others like this.
  12. 2 Hot Crown Subdues the Sinful

2 Hot Crown Subdues the Sinful Aris

You guys remember when Scott Adams was mocked for this:
    http://blog.dilbert.com/post/156778990841/berkeley-and-hitler

https://regiehammblog.wordpress.com/2017/02/01/this-hitler-nonsense/
    Sharing is caring.

Rakdos92, wintell, wellis and 5 others like this.
  13. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Verified Force User

The Dan Rather story was intentionally fabricated from the beginning. That's why he lost his job. The type writer they used to fabricate the story false document, from scratch, hadn't even been invented yet. That was proved beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Brian Williams story was a flat out lie, intentionally fabricated to make himself look good in a situation he was never in. There were too many witnesses and he and/or the network couldn't get to all of them before the story was broken wide open.

Katie Couric intentionally had a video tape edited to make her story look and herself look good. The actual unedited video came to light and they couldn't cover it up.

Rakdos92, wellis, vyor and 5 others like this.
  14. Robotninja

Robotninja Connoisseur.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/21/politics/donald-trump-hillary-clinton-popular-vote-final-count/

Bush, 2000. Trump, 2016.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ACORN..._by_the_U.S._Government_Accountability_Office

http://www.alternet.org/election-20...ced-and-promoted-breitbart-news-and-new-trump

And now we reach the part where you make up reasons why this does not count.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  15. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

You proved he apparently lost the popular vote- which I never disputed. Save to point out it's well within margin for error.

You have shown NO argument against ANY of the rest of it. No facts, no evidence, not even logical argument. Just claiming you're right and I'm wrong.

Citation or concession needed.

Rakdos92, Ddmkm122, kifflomx and 2 others like this.
  16. 2 Hot Crown Subdues the Sinful

2 Hot Crown Subdues the Sinful Aris

Rakdos92, Ddmkm122, Tea and 2 others like this.
  17. Robotninja

Robotninja Connoisseur.

:rolleyes:
    The rest of what? My claim that Bush and Trump were both worse? Bush got us involved in a fucking useless war in Iraq, a massive unforced error. He outright ignored warning that Bin Laden was determined to attack the US.

Trump is an incompetent manchild who has no idea what he is doing. He is utterly destroying our soft power with regards to other nations.
    He asked for a citation of the popular vote thing and the EC benefiting the GOP. I provided it.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  18. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

• Rule 1, bad faith in politics. This is your final warning.
    Cherry pick, much? I mean, it was literally the following sentence. Not even a different paragraph.

Untrue. I asked for citations to disprove everything I said and provided citations for. You provided none of those. Your actual citation was to disprove something I never actually said.

I brought the math. You brought ad homonyms, unsubstantiated claims, and your belief that you can see the future and alternate realities.

You're turning into another ugolino. Please stop that.

Rakdos92, Ddmkm122, wintell and 4 others like this.
  19. alethiophile

alethiophile Shadowed Philosopher Administrator

The fact that in a few recent elections the electoral college's result has diverged from the nationwide popular vote, in a direction favoring the modern Republican party, is in fact just an epiphenomenon of its real purpose. It is a fact that, in the written constitution, the presidential election process is defined in terms of the electoral college, making no mention of the nationwide popular vote at all — or, indeed, any popular vote. Originally, the selection of electors by a statewide election was the extent of the popular participation in the presidential election; it certainly wasn't expected that a state's electors would unanimously and unconditionally vote for the candidate that won that state's popular vote. The US written constitution is consistent here as everywhere else: the federal government is called so for a reason, as a federation of the then-sovereign states, and the election of the highest federal office is a matter between the states, not the states' populations. This is just one instance of the broad pattern by which federal government is, constitutionally, administered by elaborate republican processes designed specifically to provide substantial isolation from pure majoritarianism. The "nationwide popular vote" is in fact a completely meaningless quantity, a statistical aggregation which, for purely contingent reasons, often aligns with the result of the (modern) electoral college; acting as if it either substantiates or vitiates the legitimacy of a presidential election betrays only complete ignorance of the actual intended structure of the federal government.

In practice, under the modern system in which electors are de facto unconditionally allocated by individual statewide popular vote, the electoral college retains one important aspect of its original purpose: it distributes power among the states. To do otherwise hands quite disproportionate power to the larger states, who could deliver an election based on a 60% or 70% victory, utterly regardless of the intent of the rest of the nation. Many are not eager to hand control over the entire nation to California and New York, particularly given that under these circumstances the actual popular vote winner would take weeks to determine (how long did it take to nail down California's final tally, again?).

From the modern view, this looks like it "benefits the GOP", given that in the modern calculus the Democrats are the urban party and the Republicans the rural. But it exists for important structural reasons, and tearing it down because of transient party advantage is utterly short-sighted and destructive. Which is hardly unexpected from the 20th-century entropic Left, but those who actually know how to think should at least consider the consequences of their advocacy.

Rakdos92, wintell, wellis and 11 others like this.
  20. Robotninja

Robotninja Connoisseur.

You said this:
    In response to this.
    You asked for sources in response to a specific post. I provided them.

Please stop lying.
    Being able to predict that Gore would not get us in a war with Iraq and would pay more attention to Bin Laden is not some magical power. It is common sense.

Similarly, it is easy to tell that Hilary would not have done shitloads of poorly made and illegal executive orders.

TheBleachDoctor likes this.
  21. Threadmarks: Mod action = threadbans now.
    gibbousmoons

gibbousmoons Well worn.

We started a brand new thread, and you will remember that it is no longer in Rants. I will no longer tolerate moving goalposts, evidence that does not support your assertions, and the kind of nonsense that you got away with in that subforum.

This is my ONLY warning post. Every other moderator action I take in this thread will result in a minimum threadban of one day, escalating based on previous behavior in this and previous threads.

This does not support your assertion that the New York Times is as unreliable as Brietbart. You will post in good faith or you will not post here.

I do set the rules, and RobotNinja's request is perfectly reasonable in my eyes. This does not support your assertion that the New York Times is as unreliable as Brietbart. You will post in good faith or you will not post here.

You will post in good faith or you will not post here. No shifting goalposts.

22. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

I did not shift goalposts. I made assertions in a 500+ word thread with multiple citations, some math, and logical conclusions.

Which includes these things, the more or less beginning and ends to that 500 word mini essay. They were framework points. To which this was the response.

Which is effectively claiming what I said was wrong. Which is fine, that's kinda how debate works. But he's consistently refused to back the argument up or show why my original post that he's attacking is wrong in any way.

It's not shifting goalposts to expect him to defend his original claim that I was wrong, by showing HOW I was wrong, especially when I already provided my part of the logic chain in advance.

Rakdos92, iamnuff, Ddmkm122 and 5 others like this.
  23. gibbousmoons

gibbousmoons Well worn.

Contradicting an official moderator ruling is not the behavior of someone who is posting in good faith. You may return to this thread in one week.

24. Terthna

I demand then that you tell me what will.

Rakdos92, iamnuff, Ddmkm122 and 2 others like this.
  25. gibbousmoons

gibbousmoons Well worn.

I am not going to make your argument for you, and if you cannot understand what good faith debating is then you shouldn't be talking politics in this thread anyway.

26. Terthna

If you cannot explain how my argument is in bad faith, how am I supposed to correct my behavior in the future?

27. gibbousmoons

gibbousmoons Well worn.

I am not in the habit of repeating myself. This lack of reading comprehension shows that you are either unwilling or incapable of debating in good faith. Take a one week vacation from this thread to think about how you can improve.

28. Whitesnake Pelinal

Oh, look. A wild leftist appears, glad to make the political personal and use whatever authority is at hand to favor leftist agenda.
    A claim was made that Breitbart fabricated stories, when I claimed that other news outlets were no different. I then provided proof that said news outlets fabricated stories. Then you show up and attempted to pretend that the case had not been proven. Fucking sad.

Everything that you do on the Internet, I will pay forward against leftists politicians in actionable positions. This is your only warning.

Rakdos92, Ddmkm122, Terthna and 2 others like this.
  29. The Shadowmind

The Shadowmind Well worn.

Is that a threat of violence?

30. Biigoh

Biigoh Primordial Tanuki Moderator

[​IMG]

"And this is why Questionable Questing can not have nice things."

As of now, Questionable Questing will no longer have threads or topics that deal with politics as per Rule 8.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.