1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Rule 8. Politics. Gone. For good.

Discussion in 'Announcements and Rules' started by tehelgee, Feb 7, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snake/Eater

Snake/Eater Myth Maker of the North

What about dealing with unobjective bias or subjective biased Mods?

Isn't it for the best for a guy in my situation to just let my story die in the cradle so I don't risk getting banned?

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  2. Seru

Seru Lodissian Cross

Apparently people are still so pedantic as to require a hammer and chisel.

When I say Politics, I mean real world stupidity, ala the derails of the rant threads due to Trump/Hillary/Whoever.

I do not fucking care about your content. If it is just a thin veneer, it invokes Rule 8

If it is not, it likely will not.

You are taking paranoia to the point that the Security Guard who is IRL Lawful Evil is saying "Tone it down guys, this is excessive."

You will not get a firm example, because if you did, you would weasel around it like disingenuous snakes on the grass, and yes, I am assuming malice now because you all gnatter on like incessant budgies in dire need of a meeting with my Cat.

How will the Mods know what violates Rule 8?

They will know it when they see it

Use your own discretion, and take the risks you choose to. I am finished attempting to reason with pedants and fools. I suffer neither lightly, and I have suffered you all for far too long.

3. Generic_Generica

Generic_Generica Verified kōhai

You know I can see your persecution complex from here, that's how big it is.

Why yes I am being condescending. No I do not give a fuck. Seriously, guy, no one's out to get you christ on a cracker you're paranoid.

4. snthsnth

snthsnth Versed in the lewd.

Firstly, you'll be given the opportunity to defend your intent to your mod accuser, and they've been quite just in their mission thus far. If you feel a mod has been unjust in his decision you should be able to escalate to an admin or supermod or whatever. If both of those agree that your fic is actually thinly veiled politics, you MAY get banned. After discussing it with you they'd likely just remove your fic and hand out a warning or temp ban. We're not dealing with SV here.

Secondly, it would only be a problem if you were writing about actual current politics. If you wanted to do a Drumf/Hill-loli BDSM fic it would be fine. If you want to create a world that has similar issues to ours it would be fine, if the politics of the situation are clearly not what the story's about. Game of Thrones politics are fine, they are fantasy.

Thirdly, the staff wants us to go back to primarily being a house of lewds and fics that may be kicked off of SB/SV.

5. alethiophile

alethiophile Shadowed Philosopher Administrator

Next order of business: change my title to "Hypothetical Illuminati Death Bot".

6. Plotvitalnpc

Plotvitalnpc Personification Personified

But you see, alethiophile, your using such a title would provide sufficient evidence to make it more than a mere hypothesis.
    As soon as you titled yourself that, you would become...
    A Theoretical Illuminati Death Bot.

7. snthsnth

snthsnth Versed in the lewd.

Postulated Illuminati Death Bot would be ideal then.

8. Plotvitalnpc

Plotvitalnpc Personification Personified

The glory of the Axiomatic Illuminati Deathbot.
    In absence of proof, we assume it to be true to allow for further consideration.

9. Whitesnake Pelinal

Whitesnake Pelinal Like a dream without a dreamer

I'm sure it would surprise nobody to hear that I'm disappointed by this action. I'm a deeply political person, and dearly love engaging in political discussion, debate, argument, and conflict. Because of the direction SB and SV staff have chosen to go when it comes to politics, I was reliever to discover the politics threads in the Rants section. I quite liked having a forum with some of the same personalities, but with a very different style of moderator action. These were good things... politics was pretty well confined to about five threads total, out of more than a thousand, as befit a forum that is fiction-centric.

For my part, it seems to me that the problem with those threads was not the content, but how a tiny handful of users chose to react to it, spamming mods with complaints and begging them to employ some measure of coercion against those they disagreed with. No doubt these creatures are overjoyed to see discussions that were not going their ways silenced. Expect them to act similarly in the future having been granted such a reward.

Ddmkm122, justinkal and Snake/Eater like this.
  10. Snake/Eater

Haters are gonna hate hard.

Ddmkm122 and Code_Xana like this.
  11. Ugolino

Ugolino I trust you know where the happy button is?

You do realize you're the primary person QQ has to thank for the rule in the first place, right?

Play stupid games and win stupid prizes.

12. Biigoh

Biigoh Primordial Tanuki Moderator

I am going to say this.

No recriminations allowed.

There is no one person who caused rule 8.

13. Whitesnake Pelinal

Whitesnake Pelinal Like a dream without a dreamer

It's weird, usually people who participate in threads a lot are sad to see them shut down. Like, even if they understand why it was done, losing something that was worth participating in a bunch of times before is seen as a loss. But you sound like you're happy with this outcome, downright smug.

If you didn't like those threads, you could have totally refrained from posting them... from reading them, even!

Ddmkm122, kingkiller and QuantumWings like this.
  14. Biigoh

[​IMG]

Okay... I'm going to be more direct and say this.

Alathon and Ugolino, I want the two of you to stop and take a breather before you continue this conversation and head into part of the territory that saw Rule 8 getting imposed, namely "screaming at each other like children with lines drawn in the sand".

Please do not make mod action necessary in this thread.

15. magic9mushroom

magic9mushroom BEST END.

Side note: I'm having something of an awkward time in this thread because I oppose the whole idea including its intent but am trying to point out problems with application to people who agree with the intent. Blergh.

It's not about a persecution complex. It's about not trusting a collection of people whom you've never met to all have the same intuitive interpretation of things that you do. That's why people try to establish clear boundaries around rules, so they can be assured of following it without having to ask clarification in 100 times as many cases as necessary.

"Fics do not count as politics, ever" would be a clear boundary. "Fics count as politics when I look at them and think they're politics" is vague and causes uncertainty because reading people's minds over the Internet is hard and as such there are significant error bars on anyone's guess at what someone else considers to be politics. Yes, you can ask, but that does throw up a barrier that may exceed people's motivation to post - this is the meaning of "chilling effect".

For fics proper this isn't quite so much of a creative-freedom issue because if the mods of any site declare my fic verboten I can in most cases give them the finger and post it on another site. For quests it's much more serious, because quests can't be unilaterally uprooted.

Moderators/tehelgee - is there some history on this board of people posting lots of transparent political allegory and clusterfucks ensuing? If not, could I beg you to not step in the quagmire of content-based regulation of fic until and unless such catastrophes actually happen?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
    Ddmkm122, kingkiller, Aleh and 5 others like this.
  16. Snake/Eater

I think there was a similar situation a year or 2 back about the Hugo awards but I think i shouldn't talk about it because it could crash into rule 8.

Ddmkm122 and QuantumWings like this.
  17. DeAnno

DeAnno Power over Versatility

... I guess the "Make Stargate Great Again" fic where Trump reveals the Stargate program to the world and uses all the advanced tech to fulfill his otherwise very difficult campaign promises while the characters look on in a mixture of horror, celebration, and confusion is probably too hot for QQ now.

Not that I was actually going to write it or anything.

18. gibbousmoons

gibbousmoons Well worn.

Yes, but it sounds funny enough that if you wrote it somewhere else I'd want to read it.

19. Aleh

Aleh Destroyer of Faith in Humanity

This. So much this.

Ddmkm122 and 1986ctcel like this.
  20. TheBleachDoctor

TheBleachDoctor LewdCat

Now I'm thinking of a story where Trump plunges the world into nuclear war... and the reason that's revealed is that actually he's trying to keep us on the Star Trek Timeline, which calls for WW3 around this time with a worldwide nuclear war.
    ....... Too political for this site and I'd probably never write it, but humorous all the same.

21. theunderbolt

theunderbolt Zoom, Zoom, Iyaaan~

The triggering that would come from that would be biblical.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  22. TheBleachDoctor

TheBleachDoctor LewdCat

Everyone would be triggered. No one would be safe.

Ddmkm122 and theunderbolt like this.
  23. magic9mushroom

magic9mushroom BEST END.

AND WHEN EVERYONE'S TRIGGERED... no-one will be. [/meme]

I do wonder where the world's heading. Russia's re-establishing itself as an active power, the Far East is heating up, and US politics have gone down the crapper so badly I'm half-scared you guys are going to have Civil War II. All while technology is going so fast nobody knows what 2050 will look like.

My best wishes to you all in this uncertain time.

24. TheBleachDoctor

TheBleachDoctor LewdCat

Are you ready to supplicate your new AI Overlord, Google-sama?

Ddmkm122, MadKeyboard and january1may like this.
  25. Snake/Eater

What if rule 8 is a meta sentient story that was born from the darkest recesses of the QQ election debates and the stupid flame wars and arguments?

The Mods don't control Rule 8, Rule 8 has enslaved them to obey Her though her perfect sexy figure because she has a plan.

A plan to make QQ great again, by silencing the debaters and forcing them to write Awesome lewds and they are going to Like it!

This my Idea for Rule 8 fanfiction.

Ddmkm122 and january1may like this.
  26. DoggySoup

DoggySoup I trust you know where the happy button is?

I wanted to do a story where Hillary secretly cheated on Bill with Trump on the NSFW board. Can I still do that or is it banned?

Ddmkm122 and snthsnth like this.
  27. Tea

Tea Likes for the Like god

Please don't. That sounds horrifying.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  28. DoggySoup

Cuck Quest. You are Donald Trump ready to grab some mad pussy. How do you get away with it without Ivanka knowing?

29. Biigoh

Please noh....

30. DoggySoup

It's called Cuck Quest because you're going after famous women who are married. HRC, Michelle, Beyonce, Angela Merkel...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.