1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Youjo Senki Discussion and Criticism

Discussion in 'General' started by Elmithian, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Space Penguin

Space Penguin Boring person

She has every right to curse the bastard and yet people call her a Fedora.

She is basically kinda like Job just with her not being a worshipper.

Tanya has never truly won anything. yeah, she won battles but so what? Have they made a real difference and improved her situation? No.

She indeed does want it but Being X would never allow it.

2. 2 Hot Crown Subdues the Sinful

2 Hot Crown Subdues the Sinful Aris

So, Jackie Chan as a German Loli?

3. Jack Trade

Jack Trade Chasing the Green Fairy.

This is worryingly accurate.

4. Space Penguin

I honestly can't understand why some people think Being X is a good guy or make excuses for him. He is doing what he is doing to teach Tanya empathy? Are you guys serious? Being X has been bitching about people and faith. Lol, IIRC, in the LN, Angels engineer a situation for a war to erupt between the Empire and NotRussia cause godless communism.

5. Biigoh

Biigoh Primordial Tanuki Moderator

The ending of Youjo Senki... ahhhhh... it was sad. So very sad. To see her opinions to Elric, and then the messenger. Also... I think we just saw Loliya in a cut away scene.

And... Mary "Sue" Sioux has acquired the origin she needed; country fallen, beloved father dead, the rise of an enemy loli who has more levels on her, the weapon she gave to her father wielded by the enemy loli, GOD has touched her and blessed her... and she just joined the US mage corps.

Also, I was totally going "oh shit, is this for real" at the speech that Tanya gave in the desert, especially the starting part. She seemed so broken down and sad. But soon, Tanya the Red Baron you shall meet the Desert Fox.

6. Jack Trade

Jack Trade Chasing the Green Fairy.

Awwwww fuck. I had successfully managed to scrub that disgusting bastards existence from my mind, so I had forgotten that the sick fuck is going to be very important soon.:mad:

He's the number 2 man in the Union, who after spoting her from a distance falls in love with her and vows to do everything in his power to capture her, break her, and ravish her!

Also the sick fuck begs Uncle Joe (the guy in charge of the Union) for Tanya to be his prize once the Empire is defeated!

under his suggestions the Union sends idealistic communists to woe their allies and make it seem like the Union higher ups are not bad people. Only problem is that they fucking are, before the empire attacked them, they were purging competent people from their military, running gulags and after they go to war with the Empire they mostly conscript nationalists on his suggestions so that they (The nationalists) don't taint their communist utopia.

When he hears that Tanya destroys an important supply ship, he's not angered but rather filled with joy. He is elated that Tanya is still alive, so he redoubles his efforts to help the Union military capture her, so that he break and ravish her.

In fact here a link to a picture of him so you can have idea what he's like

I needed that

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
  7. Nervaqus987

Nervaqus987 Well worn.

Personally, I'm just wondering what her soldiers are thinking of that.

Like;

"So, that was a speech."

"Yeah.....but, isn't the Major really religious?"

"What makes you say that?"

"Well, she always prayers right before a big fight, so I kinda just figured."

"Maybe she's ironically religious?"

8. Biigoh

9. Biigoh

So... Nordon 2 in LN got translated...

But I'm not sure if Sky the Wood is going to do anything more as it looks like YenPress just licensed both the LN and Manga of Youjo Senki. @_@

This along with Tensei Shitara Slime Datta Ken and Kumo Desu ga, Nani ga?

10. Elmithian

Elmithian Prolific Procrastinator

I have noticed a trend where LN aren't licensed until at least good chunk of it has been translated by the fan community. Is that just me?

I mean. It would be easy to plagiarise from someone that did the work for free but technically illegally. The only thing you would need to do was to change the text a bit and claim that the similarities were purely coincidental... On top of parts of LN often being censored (which has happened quite often I have heard -_-)

It is not like Sky could complain about such actions officially now could they?

11. Biigoh

Actually, I have compared the Overlord LN by YenPress and by SkytheWood... it's actually subtle, but it's a different translation.

12. Elmithian

And changing the wording and sentences is 10 times easier than translating the nuances of another language from the ground up. I have done such stuff myself. It ain't that hard to use other people words as a base, change the wording and not lose the original meaning... if you know what you are doing.

Additionally, I am not saying that *all* official studios do this. Merely that I suspect some of it. There also the censoring issues wherein these studios remove or change context to be less "troublematic" in regards to Western audience.

I honestly worry that some of the stuff in Youjo Senki (even if there is no sexual stuff) will be censored in the official Ln translation release. Seeing how ridiculously (selective) PC our world has become of late. : /

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  13. Biigoh

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  14. Elmithian

Indeed she is adorable, though a lot of people appear to be conflicted about her. :3

15. Biigoh

She is adorable and fluffy and her commanders like her as always. :3

16. Biigoh

17. Elmithian

Xicree and Biigoh like this.
  18. Biigoh

It is manga cover art, I believe... :3

Xicree likes this.
  19. wasprider

wasprider Experienced.

Finally got around to watching this (and blasting through what of the manga is commonly available on web readers). Thoughts in no particular order:
    • No publishing company or gatekeeper in the standard publishing industry in any Western country would have touched something like this from a Western author.
    • The concept is amazing and amusing.
    • Tanya a cute.
    • It is one of the most sympathetic presentations of rationalist pragmatism I've seen.
    • Those consistent miscommunications tho. Hilarious, and a very subtle undermining of Tanya's character and philosophy.
    • Wow, the author must have done a fair amount of research to get all those details. (Nothing particularly surprising, Germany's grand strategy has been relatively common knowledge for a century now.)
    • The reversal of war roles as presented was also interesting, with a not-Swedish invasion kicking things off.
    I need to get a hold of the LNs, preferably in Japanese epub format, which is a pain nowadays.

Snake/Eater, Xicree and Biigoh like this.
  20. Biigoh

It's coming out in November, Yen Press strikes again... :3

21. wasprider

wasprider Experienced.

Nah. I spent some time in college learning Japanese, and I prefer reading in Japanese when I can. Unfortunately, Amazon will not sell Japanese Kindle books in the US, nor even most print books or manga anymore (due to law changes in Japan). Neither will Apple, DMM, Kinokuniya, etc..

You have to jump through a lot of hoops to pay for it. Piracy would probably be easier.

You can buy print books at US Kinokuniya's but I've cut back on buying physical books now that I've run out of wall space for shelves.

22. Elmithian

Yeah... this is honestly the part where I wish online globalization was happening rather than corporate arses effectively closing off virtual, non-existing borders just so they can regulate the cost in a tiny bit more in their favour. : /

wasprider likes this.
  23. Space Penguin

24. Elmithian

Perhaps... but I would actually love a role reversal where Being X is pushed off his pedestal (and the rest of being X underlings sent to a black hole or something) and sent down into various universes and has to experience similar stuff to what Tanya did.

Just imagine a proper God complex person reborn, lacking 95% of their powers, knowing that that above the very being he had done the same to would be watching. >:D

It would be more interesting in my opinion and would allow for the exploration and potentially evolution of his character. Perhaps, since he doesn't seem to be really a sociopath (being x that is) he will begin to see how his own actions has torn apart so many worlds? Or maybe he will become a spiteful blood knight that will be no better than he was before.

Now, that is what I would love to see. :D

25. mizerie

mizerie Brazenly New

That would actually be similar to sending an SI or similar to other universes due to the lack of character of Being X. From what I read of the novels and some in the manga, he serves as some sort of ROB analogue that pushes the circumstances so that Tanya does what she does.

26. Elmithian

Well, I always enjoy delving into the less explored part of fictional universes/characters so this is just my personal taste/habit kicking in. Plus, Being X had plenty of character hints throughout the story. He does actually appear to have a similar approach as Tanya, but does not seem to be a true sociopath. He is frustrated over humankind and their actions. But he is also a hypocrite that appears to push the story in the world Tanya ended up in a way that escalates the war, kind of ruining his own point.

I think those kind of characters are extremely interesting to explore, both story wise and psychologically, which is why I would love to see him on the ground among mortal (maybe even reborn like Tanya was). I enjoy developing and watching characters grow from the budding they start as. That is also the reason why I do not create quests where the MC/Protagonist is very well(/fully) established or a MC in their original story. It is more fun to approach the setting from new/different angles.

I have no issues with fully fleshed out NPCs though. They are plenty fine and in fact quite vital to establish the setting. Nevertheless, I think the experience for the readers seeing a character change and (sometimes) grow makes for much more appealing experience when the story is of the interactive nature like Quests are, rather than using already fully established characters. This way, the readers/players can act out in accordance to their own views and ideas and will rarely, if ever, encounter unnatural character/personality breaks.

I am not saying that Quest MC shouldn't have strong or interesting personalities, or lack a will on their own, but I do feel that having more wriggle room to solidify the MC personality traits and such as the story goes is much more satisfying for both the viewers/readers and the creator than using already very well established character that will no doubt lead to a decision that breaks their supposed personality.

This is also part of the reason why there are so many stories out there where already established MCs experience partially or full memory loss, their mind is affected by something, their mind corrupted or purified and so on. It is a tactic for writers to explain/excuse any potential personality inconsistency. I am not saying that those are the sole reasons, but it is often a part of it, be it conscious action by the writer or no.

Btw, what do you mean by SI? There are so many abbreviations that use SI that it is kind of hard to pinpoint what you were referring to. >_<

27. Biigoh

28. Nolrai2

Nolrai2 Can't count

For which reason?

29. wasprider

wasprider Experienced.

Because Tanya is known as a loli Nazi. (She's not, and given the treaty of Versailles, there's a good case to be made that Germany was ultimately the victim of WW1 and the geopolitical situation.) A positive portrayal of someone known as a Nazi would not fly. I can't think of many positive portrayals of Nazis in recent popular Western media at all, and given that it's been over 70 years, that's pretty amazing. Mugabe, Mao and Stalin have better PR.

Similarly with her justifications of "atrocities", which seem to be at the outer edge of what is considered acceptable in current warfare for Western nations, but not actually over the line. Even most military fiction would shy away from depicting those decisions, except as being made by a bad guy. Made by a protagonist? Someone being called a Nazi? Probably dropped in the manuscript stages.

30. Space Penguin

Which is all bullshit.

America drops bombs that kills hundreds of people or massacres weddings. Its all accounted as either collateral damage or they were terrorists.

Also, Tanya and the Empire ain't nazi's. The war has to do with land and power dynamics.