1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Exalted 3E Discussion

Discussion in 'General' started by Smuthunter, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Bre Karn

Bre Karn (Very Slow) Writer of Glorious Smut

Yep. The deluxe edition is only now being shipped (this week, if the editor is to be believed). Almost four years after the Kickstarter. Yeah.

Still too much work. I expected to buy a playable game, not something where jury-rigging the system is near-mandatory for avoiding frustation and getting some enjoyment out of the game. Homebrew should be an option, not a requirement!

Regarding Charms, if they wanted to nuclearize effects that much, then they should have went with a dot rating for Charms (like Vampiric Disciplines), fewer names to commit to memory (and fewer names to craft, because holy shit are most of the new names totally uninspired), less space required in the book, etc.
    And the crafting debacle is also compounded by the Crafting Charm wasted wordcount.

Not going to lie, I find that there are a lot of cool ideas in Ex3 (sorcery is finally fun outside of summoning demons/elementals, I dig the concept of Evocations even if it's mostly homebrew, I actually like the idea of Exigents), but there are also a lot of deal breakers to me, and meh things (Martial Arts had a few good ideas, but terrible implementation IMHO).

2. Jarudazuigu

Jarudazuigu Sealed, for now

That is kinda harsh.

With that said, I love the Sorcery of 3ed. Up and including Sorcerous Workings. The extra resource in crafting(gold silver and yolo extra XP)? Kind of loathe it and lets leave it at that. My main gripe is the fluff thing called "Rule of Dimmnishment" ... that translates into "Nothing can remain good or improve. Only downward spiral, nyeh nyeh!". I remain uniformed on Fair Folk and Wyld thingy so there is that, too.

And my main point of unlimited glee for Sorcery Workings? Mortal can advance himself trough Workings so he or she can gift himself or herself with higher circles of sorcery!

You may ask why I dislike the Rule of Dimnishment so much? Because it implies that Creation is created with metaphorical Black Hole in it's centre. Even worse than Underworld and it's Void, wich was an horrible accident. I kinda flip out when hearing that Primordials made their vacation-world into self-destructive bullshit with limited lifespan. I mean ... they didn't buy a car from skeevy car salesman, right? They built the car themselves, from ground up!

Fayt, Biigoh and Sydonai like this.
  3. Eler0

Eler0 Versed in the lewd.

I think that is overly harsh. The base game, without any houserules, is more than playable and lots of people are enjoying it that way. It is not an objectively bad game that requires jury-rigging to run.

It may very well be a subjectively bad game that goes into a direction you don't enjoy and puts focus on things you dislike. That is exactly what those homebrew fixes are trying to do, but tgeir existence does not hint at an objective fault with the system but a subjective difference between the kind of system and game you want.

4. kinglugia

kinglugia A Randy Avian

I think this only applies to non Solar-Exalted related things. Also, mind quoting it?

5. Bre Karn

Yeah, maybe I'm being too harsh and it's my RL exhaustion that kicks in. I'm just disappointed in many things.

How so? It mainly means that creating Exalts has a cost, a grievous one, to the divinity that empowers the spark (to the point that the Unconquered Sun supposedly hasn't fully recovered from creating the Solars yet, though the Incarnae purportedly have found a way to cheat it in the long run?). It's by no means a general statement about the world's decay, from what I recall reading of it in the corebook.

1986ctcel and kinglugia like this.
  6. Jarudazuigu

I don't have book on me. StolTaken only rules that I would be using, anyway. But I remember it being something along the lines that when you make something permanent, it diminishes you. The premier example was making of Exaltations. I think there was also implication about how making Creation diminished Primordials. Before Exalted hacked them apart into Yozis, diminishing them further. See the pattern?

7. Nervaqus987

Nervaqus987 Well worn.

As far as I know, the Law of Diminishment, firstly was something put forth in the various 3e previews, all of which were noted to be subject to change.

Secondly, the one for Infernals said it was discovered by the gods when when they created the Exalted and that Autobot later leaked it to SWLIHN to try and prevent the Primordials from trying to make their own.

Finally, it's specifically mentioned that it came up in regards to those who "those who take from themselves to make champions."

Getting weaker after you literally take something out of yourself to make something else is something I would consider to be common sense, rather than evidence of a metaphysical black hole leaching all progress and hope.

Fayt, Jarudazuigu, 1986ctcel and 3 others like this.
  8. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

And which supposedly lead to Isidoros getting gimped somehow after he ignored the warning and tried to make his own Infernals anyways.

...which might have been Autobot's plan all along. Hmm.

Jarudazuigu and 1986ctcel like this.
  9. Bre Karn

Oh joy. My copy of Ex3 is actually being shipped. It is really coming.

Probably just around the time I actually have to leave home for a week or more. Ugh. That's just wonderful. Just my luck. I sure as fuck hope the delivery service doesn't just send it back across the Channel.

10. Valette-Serafina

Valette-Serafina Shameless Shadow

That happens fairly often. It's a coincidence which is faintly amusing.
    Disagree. Functional? Barely. Solid? Not even slightly.
    Yes, it really did.
    Disagree, strongly.

11. Bre Karn

I HAVE IT IN MY HANDS, MY DELUXE Ex3!

IT'S HAPPENING, IT HAS COME!

(... I'm still a shameless fanboi despite my criticism)

Biigoh, Sydonai, Sol Mark-1 and 5 others like this.
  12. Jarudazuigu

Congratulations Bre Karn ! :)

Hopefully the necessary adjustments won't ruin your fun from the game.

13. Sol Mark-1

Sol Mark-1 Experienced.

For the people who got Exalted Edition 3 book.

14. Sydonai

Sydonai Versed in the lewd.

Quick survey, what is everyone's favorite Charm?

15. Skitzyfrenic

Skitzyfrenic Elves are for lewding.

Personal Gravity Manipulation Apparatus.

16. Valette-Serafina

How's the art?

Also, which country are you in? Wondering because I'm in England and I don't have mine yet.
    Heavenly Guardian Defence, or Heaven Thunder Hammer. Depending. Green Sun Nimbus Flare and Mind-Hand Manipulation sitting a little behind.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
    That_baka2, 1986ctcel and Sydonai like this.
  17. Imabot

Imabot Connoisseur.

Excellencies. Yes, I'm the boring one.

Jarudazuigu and Sydonai like this.
  18. Valette-Serafina

There's little boring about a full burn Excellency turning ten dice into 16-20. Not with good stunting.

...But narrow it down. Which Excellencies?

That_baka2, vyor and Sydonai like this.
  19. Imabot

Imabot Connoisseur.

Depends what type of Exalt I'm playing. Most usually it's 1st Exellency I pick most often.

Sydonai likes this.
  20. Valette-Serafina

That is, in part, the question. Solar, powerful within its bounds? Lunar or Alchemical, broad and capable of things most Exalts need advanced charms for? Infernal, broad but situationally limited?

That_baka2 and Sydonai like this.
  21. Bre Karn

I'll try running it by RAW for the next session with my gaming group :p
    Subjective, of course. But some of the dubious art looks a little better on paper (dunno, it could be the joy of finally getting it that makes me more tolerant of flaws) than on screen.
    ST Screen is very nice (less... satisfyingly weighty than the Ex2 one, but the art is very nice (even if it has Wolfer's 'Approved by the Scarlet Empress' loincloth on :p), Map is gorgeous and not flimsy/near transparent like the DotFA one, t'is a freaking tablecloth.

Solidity-wise, it looks sturdy, I've not stress tested it (nor do I plan to) but it looks like backers weren't scammed. Also has small built-in bookmarks, as promised.

Chibi bookmarks are... nice, but anecdotal.
    France. Also my book was shipped (probably printed) from England (handled first by DPD, then the French Chronopost).

Jarudazuigu and 1986ctcel like this.
  22. Valette-Serafina

...Well. Either our postal service is more drastically terrible than I'd thought, or...

Mm. A few more days, perhaps.

That_baka2, Sol Mark-1 and Bre Karn like this.
  23. Imabot

Imabot Connoisseur.

Variety is spice of life. But if I have to tell it depending on exalted then I'll pick my personal favorites and go with Dragon-Blooded.

24. Sydonai

Quick status update;

Sol Mark-1, kinglugia, Imabot and 2 others like this.
  25. Jarudazuigu

Huh? Preach it bro! Or sis. I like Dragon-Blooded, because dragons and they don't walk around with "I WIN!" theme around, their mistakes and failings thus are more plausible than with Solars who simply have Charms to do their thinking for them, fix their own mistakes ... and so on, as long as they pony up the Motes. Yet canonical Solars are all very horrible, and personality-wise quite average Joes and Janes.

That is from my view on 2edition's canonical characters. The interpretation that was constantly hitting me into the noggin was :"Okay, Exaltation is a reward of excellence ... these dudes seem to burn all that out, including luck, just to get Exaltation. Then flounder about blindly. With the exception of Bull of the North, but I hate him anyway since he isn't Conan.":p

Sol Mark-1 and Imabot like this.
  26. Valette-Serafina

They misjudged how long it'd take? I'm shocked.

That_baka2, vyor, Sol Mark-1 and 4 others like this.
  27. Skitzyfrenic

Anybody have any experience with Nocturnals and can comment on what their play is like?

I have a copy of the pdf/manual thingies and their fairly intriguing.

Sol Mark-1 and Sydonai like this.
  28. Sydonai

Where did that go? I checked the old spot and the writer had deleted everything.

29. Skitzyfrenic

I think it was on ... RP nation when I first saw it.

Wait one, prepare for PM.

Sol Mark-1 and Sydonai like this.
  30. Biigoh

Biigoh Primordial Tanuki Moderator

Noctornals was made long ago on patternspider.net before the buyout.