1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Twisted Pinwheel

Discussion in 'Questing' started by Chibi-Reaper, Jul 12, 2015.

1. redaeth

redaeth Stubborn pedantrist

[x] You needed to find, or take, a better place to rest than snatched fitful naps in the boughs of dead and dying trees.

2. angelofwhim

angelofwhim Experienced.

[x] You needed to find, or take, a better place to rest than snatched fitful naps in the boughs of dead and dying trees.

3. Dragoon45

Dragoon45 [ ]

4. Winged One

Winged One Not the Simurgh

What makes you so sure we'll be able to get a good sleeping spot without evicting its inhabitants?

1986ctcel and GiftofLove like this.
  5. Sirrocco

Sirrocco Tiny but ambitious squid

I never said that we could. I'm just saying that fixing the arm should not be our top priority right now.

Now, there is an argument that claims that getting a new arm will be easy, and won't take very long, and that it will help us fight better, and therefore we should do that before we do anything potentially dangerous, but honestly, if it was easy, we'd have already done it. All of these tasks are going to take effort and suck, and, of the three, I think that arm replacement is possibly the *most* difficult (since we have no idea how to do it properly to start with) and the least immediately necessary (fixing sleep and diet will do *wonders* for our ability to function. The arm, at this point, is a nice-to-have.) Also, the best part of the arm thing woudl be to try to get some sort of *upgrade* - and if we want to do that, I'm thinking that we'll have a much better time of it if we can sleep and eat first. Do you want to settle for the sort of arm that hungry, thirsty, sleep-depped Mio can acquire, or would you rather have the kind of awesome that she can pull off one she has her full facilities?

Dragoon45, Candesce and Winged One like this.
  6. GiftofLove

GiftofLove A Gift From The Heart

The thing is our missing arm is clearly holding us back, or Mio wouldn't be so bad off in the first place. What's she supposed to do, try harder to find a place to sleep?

1986ctcel and Xicree like this.
  7. The Nobody

The Nobody Why does this line say strange things? Gone for Good

I'm thinking that she wasn't exactly trying to find a place to sleep, as much as she was trying to not die. Now that she realized that yes, she has this "not dying" stuff under control, she can concentrate her efforts on one particular aspect of "not dying" that bothers her the most.

And for those arguing "but she'll have to fight if she wants a safe place to sleep" - well, she'll definitely need to fight if she wants to take somebody's arm off, won't she? And if she doesn't have to fight for it, it's most likely going to be either an arm-looking branch, or something else that wasn't attached to a living creature. Although skeletal arms are cool, too. On the other, ah, hand, finding a resting place could be as easy as devoting a few hours to find a pattern in the local fauna, and move to the place they aren't going to visit for another day.

Winged One likes this.
  8. Winged One

[X] You needed to find, or take, a better place to rest than snatched fitful naps in the boughs of dead and dying trees.

9. Sirrocco

Right now, the basic vote question is "You've managed to survive, you've managed to not get infected while your arm heals, you've managed to figure out enough that you probably wont' die on any given day, and you've managed to gather together enough reserves to make a go at solving one problem. What problem do you try to solve?" Shelter is pretty basic, and will help significantly. Lacking an arm will hold her back some, sure, but we're going to fix that one, and exhaustion is likely to hold her back more.

10. JadeKaiser

JadeKaiser Fae apologist Moderator

Both "a place to sleep" and "a better source of food" are problems that we explicitly have covered on at least a minimal level. The arm is a problem that our current "minimal level" of coverage is "well, it's probably not going to get infected at least."

The arm is more pressing right now.

11. Xicree

Xicree Destroy and Rejoice!

Look people.

To put it simply. WITH the arm we have a better chance of not DYING TO RANDOM DEMONIC HORRORS WHICH KEEP TRYING TO EAT US. And from there springs the possibility of more food and better sleep.

To put it simply... Miho's lack of capability right now is whats CAUSING the other desperate effects she's currently suffering.

12. Vox De Harlequin

Vox De Harlequin Self-Taught Black Magic Initiate

I guess it's just a matter of people's priorities.
    Being completely egocentric about it, I myself am able to function without issue for long periods of time with minimal food and rest but losing functionality is something I can't tolerate, so that obviously affects my voting.
    In a bit more of an objective perspective, both food and rest requirements have been met to a basic level so the thing to do next would be to restore ability in order to prosper.
    Even something as simple as an arm-shaped stick would still be better than nothing, and it would allow Mio to start gaining practice in controlling her new arm, whilst at the same time training her external chakra coil technique and therefore her chakra control.

13. Winged One

[X] You needed to fix or replace your arm, somehow. You'd managed to keep infection from setting in, but even so...

14. FantasyFan

FantasyFan Well worn.

[X] You needed to fix or replace your arm, somehow. You'd managed to keep infection from setting in, but even so...

15. Irked

Irked Experienced.

Sudden thought but this might of just massively derailed canon, Mio's sudden disappearance (as long as people are right and the massacre hasn't happened yet) means that Kabuto is going to come under heavy suspicion what with him being the last person to see us before we vanished.

Might get found out as a spy a whole 6 years sooner, which is both good and bad as it means if he leaves Konoha he'd have much more time to do experiments with Orochimaru and train himself up to the terrifying level he managed to get to in shippuden.

Nah it would be much easier to just make a fake coil for every real one in our body, and use the resulting fake body of coils as our stand.

The Nobody likes this.
  16. The Nobody

Eh, I dunno. It's not like Mio is unable to eat because the food is in the jars that require both hands to open. She doesn't need both hands to peel potatoes, or dice cabbages - because, unless I miss my mark, there aren't any of those around. And, honestly, if I had to figure out how to graft a rudimentary prosthetic (because I don't have chakra coils, pretty sure of that), I'd rather not do so sleep deprived.

Also, something tells me that, if a ninja has to fight youkai bears to get some sleep, that ninja is probably ninja-ing wrong. I don't think that amount of hands has much influence on a person's ability to not move and pretend they aren't there.

But, eh. I'm not going to fight tooth-and-nail for every single vote. Not unless I'm sure that it makes Chibi post sooner.

Candesce likes this.
  17. Koled

Koled Versed in the lewd.

I knew there would be consecuences for showing off and not letting Hinata put Mio to sleep with a punch. But did they have to be so dire? Our clan bragging about us is the ultimate shame, not even the metal as fuck trip to hell compensates for it.

18. Pipeman

Pipeman Well worn.

[X] You needed to find, or take, a better place to rest than snatched fitful naps in the boughs of dead and dying trees.

Since arm recovery appears to not be super critical to immediate survival, I'm just gonna go ahead and agree that Mio with only one arm but well-rested is going to be way more capable of defending herself and pursuing her goals than Mio who is even more exhausted than previously because she undertook the non-insignificant effort required to acquire a replacement arm.

Unless the arm is surprisingly easy to get and comes with a whole boatload of superpowers attached, it's not going to magically make us way more capable than we were previously, because we'll still be dead tired.
    A well rested cripple is just going to be more capable of looking out for herself than someone with a cobbled together replacement who is falling over any second now, especially since Shonen rules make almost every disability something you can overcome by being awesome provided you are not at the end of your rope already.

Basically, we'll want to see to our shelter and food needs first, because those situations seem like they'd be actively deteriorating while we expend effort on the arm.

Last edited: May 17, 2017
    Winged One and Candesce like this.
  19. macdjord

macdjord Well worn.

Changing vote:

20. KinKrow

KinKrow A DREAM ABOUT DREAMING

That is so Naruto, it isn't even funny.
    Then more of our detractors are impressed by our difficulty to put down.

And even more pissed that we're sandbagging as hard as we possibly can.

Winged One likes this.
  21. JadeKaiser

JadeKaiser Fae apologist Moderator

We already have those covered on a minimal level. Geez, you guys seem to be obsessed with the idea that we aren't getting any sleep, when it is explicitly something that we are getting. If we were getting so tired that we couldn't function, we wouldn't even have the option of going for another arm. QM said that we have been here for a week or more. If our situation for rest was deteriorating all this time, we would already have met and gone past the end of our rope.

And before you say that we could be getting just enough to keep our sleep deprivation from getting too bad too fast, no. Sleep deprivation doesn't work that way, past a certain point. I've gone for several months on tree to four hours a night while working a heavy labor job, and after a certain point that and a few catnaps are all you need to stay at the same level of functionality. Mio is implied to be getting more than that already.

This isn't a question of "what situation do we want to get back to what is necessary?" This is a question of "what situation do we want to improve beyond what is necessary, first?"

22. Artantasys

Artantasys Getting out there.

23. fitzgerald

fitzgerald Experienced.

Look I just want Mio to have a demonic arm that includes posionous nails.

It doesnt need to include an antidote like in mahoranma either

1986ctcel likes this.
  24. Candesce

Candesce Experienced.

The fewer resources Mio has going in, the crappier the demonic arm she'll have to settle for.

25. Berserkslash

Berserkslash Happiest. Fucking. Lizard.

You're talking like she WOULDNT tear that arm off if a more cool replacement becomes available.

i mean, she's already missing the original, why not keep upgrading?

Katillno, Xicree, CrossyCross and 7 others like this.
  26. ```

``` Versed in the lewd.

The thing with Chibireaper is, when it comes to votes like this, its often not just simply a question of whatever particular technical particulars there particularly are in the immediate particular situation, but also what nature the quest will take going forward as well; what priorities there are in later situations, what autonomic character characterization there shall be, what themes will be expounded upon from thereon out.

That above all is why i vote Arm.

Last edited: May 17, 2017
  27. Xicree

Xicree Destroy and Rejoice!

Precisely!

1986ctcel and JadeKaiser like this.
  28. The Nobody

Precisely for those reasons I voted for sleep. Maybe that's because I like sleep, so there's a bit of a bias. Maybe because I'd prefer a Mio that's less "psycho" insane, and more "quirks upon quirks" insane. And usually, the badass in the movies is not named "Two-Armed Swordsman".

Ψυχή and Winged One like this.
  29. Sirrocco

Our level of sleep is currently described as "snatched fitful naps in the boughs of dead and dying trees". That's enough to not die for a while maybe, but it still leaves you way, way down in your ability to do things like rest (recover chakra), dream (not go crazier), and heal. Our level of arm is "We have one that works just fine, and we can do whatever we need to do to make the jutsu go. Also, infection is no longer a concern." Our level of food is "maggots and blood". It's nasty, and we're likely to start hitting malnutrition issues in a bit, but it should be enough to run on for now.

We're not on stage anymore. We have no one to show off to... and life sucks. I'd rather be a MIO who's capable of getting serious in situations like that, than one who's compelled to grandstand even when there's no one to grandstand to.

30. Nanimani

Nanimani Listening to music