1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Youjo Senki Discussion and Criticism

Discussion in 'General' started by Elmithian, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Biigoh

Biigoh Primordial Tanuki Moderator

Treat it as WW1 and its all gold.

2. Elmithian

Elmithian Prolific Procrastinator

The Tanuki speaks truth. Listen to the small animal. :3

wasprider likes this.
  3. Space Penguin

Space Penguin Boring person

It is WW1. In fact in the manga, there is no mention of another war just the Great War which Tanya is in now.

4. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

New manga chapter up. We see some of Tanya's old life... And what the future could have been.

Edit: And make sure to see those heads in that lost future...

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  5. Nervaqus987

Nervaqus987 Well worn.

Okay, so I just started reading the manga.

I've only seen the anime before, so seeing Manga Visha is, uh........different.

I'm used to her looking like a Deep One. It's very strange seeing her look normal.

Elmithian likes this.
  6. Elmithian

I would more say adorable but each to their own.

Oh and you won't be seeing any silly flying saucer toilet horses with your traditional evil looking villain there either. :D

7. wasprider

wasprider Experienced.

It was a decent read, slightly different emphasis on what twigged her to amphibious landing versus the anime, but good all the same.

So, I'm curious how many people have read much of anything on the Korean war? If I remember correctly, the Inchon landing was the second largest amphibious landing ever (I might be wrong).

Obviously, military otaku in Japan would be more likely to have done some reading on it, but I tend to find the Korean War to be the forgotten war for Americans (to say nothing of Europeans).

What struck me was that the operation as depicted in the anime was quite reminiscent of the Nazi conquest of Norway, including a thrust at Oslo. That wasn't a reference made in the manga or the anime. The number of troops and the types of equipment indicated that the Nazi invasion was the closest analog. A quick browse of wikipedia showed that the first opposed paratrooper landing happened in that campaign. (To be fair, extensive specialized naval equipment is mostly an American thing, nobody else had the budget for it.)

At any rate, I must congratulate Carlo Zen for doing his research yet again.

Biigoh likes this.
  8. wasprider

wasprider Experienced.

I was mentioning how people would be calling her a Nazi. An example is below.

9. Elmithian

Well, considering that she isn't really Nazi and people today are so overusing the term Nazi I can understand the slow increase of dislikes for the video, purely from the title.

10. MadKeyboard

MadKeyboard is not a deviant; just the resident Xenophiliac

So, recently tried to watch the show after giving up on it when it first aired. Got about as far Tanya forcing a soldier who was horrified by the war to commit genocide on the Not!French refugees and him getting cheered up by the Nuremburg Defense the next episode ("OH, I WAS JUST FOLLOWING ORDERS, MY COMMANDING OFFICER WAS TOTALLY A GREAT GUY GIRL, HA HA HA WHATEVER, SO I KILLED CIVILIANS, THEY WERE TOTALLY GONNA COME BACK ONE DAY AND SHOOT US!") before I kind of realized this show really is not for me. Even with the whole "Oh, well it's WWI, Morality is different, our Main Character is a fucking Sociopath, God hates everybody, there is no good side in this War, it's not supposed to be cheerful or anything" 'argument' ("Oh, GhostKaiju, you're not supposed to care about anything in it, it's all intentionally horrible and shit!" So remind me, why am I supposed to like this show? Besides some sense of admiration towards accuracy of Bloodshed and Carnage and Tactics that I don't really possess?), that moment is kind of the Straw that broke the Camels' back, as it were.

When a show gives a Tonal Whiplash that severe ("GENOCIDE IS BAD!" Well, no shit. "Nah, never mind, it's excusable, Tanta totally forced him to kill those people because she cares." WHAT), and I can't fucking tell if it's trying to play that argument straight or if it's trying to be a Parody/Intentionally Horrible (If the latter, then I repeat the "If everything is made to be shit then why should I care?" argument. If the former, then fuck this show on moral grounds), that's when I figure that this is just not a series I really care to watch. And honestly, the character of Tanya does not interest me enough to try and give it a second chance as it were through the Manga or the Light Novel.

The only real good thing I'll give this show, because I do not know enough on WWI Tactis to praise or condemn their tactics ome way or the other (although I repeat what I first said in this thread: German Soldiers see German Mages. They instantly bemoan the fact that Mages are here, even though against a conventiomal army—like what they are facing—that means an instant win.), I will say this: the OP for this show, Jingo Jungle, is pretty fun to listen to. It sets the Violent tone the show has going for it, and does so with an insane and reckless abandon. It works for the show, maybe even better then the show does itself (in my opinion, anyways).

11. Elmithian

Dang, that comment is filled with spoilers for anyone not following the anime and only reading the manga :p

But considering the commentary of the author, huge parts of the story is done for the funsies and he himself comments on how surprised people are liking Tanya (and the story as a whole) whom he considers one of the more unlikable character he has ever written. In fact, he does make a point on that he enjoys seeing her/him suffer and promises that there won't be a good end for the story....

Big part of this was written in the author commentary of the first LN of the story. :3

MadKeyboard likes this.
  12. Biigoh

Biigoh Primordial Tanuki Moderator

To be honest, if you see it from the pov of the lone "sane" rational man (as it were), Erich von Rerugen... he does note that Tanya IS an insane psychopath. He makes this point repeated at the start... it's at the end, that he goes "it's because she's a monster, that she is effective"...

But yes, war IS hell... also, this is mostly from the PoV of Tanya and her side. The few times, it goes to the otherside, you can see that this is an anime that is focused on war and how ugly it is.

That said, I do recommend, reading the manga... it is only up to mid Norden, but it is actually pretty good and different in art style and minor details.

kuradora and MadKeyboard like this.
  13. wasprider

wasprider Experienced.

Thanks for giving it a try.

It is intentionally horrible. There's a reason Tanya is trying to find a safe spot in the rear.

Tanya is not meant to be fully sympathetic. I find myself consistently laughing at her even as I feel sorry for her. If she was any less competent it would be significantly more horrifying.

There's all sorts of horrible calculus that's going on. One thing that's going horribly right because of Tanya is that neither side is being bled white. The total wartime casualties are quite possibly lower because she's helped break the trench stalemate, and moved back to a war of movement.

I find the idea of bleeding a country white horrifying. That is the purest expression of industrial warfare and treating people as numbers.

MadKeyboard and Elmithian like this.