1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Hidden in the Fine Print?

Discussion in 'Questing' started by Chibi-Reaper, Oct 24, 2014.

1. Threadmarks: 000. Info and situation.
    Chibi-Reaper

Chibi-Reaper D-Donations plz?

Land of Shrines

Overview (Basic)
    Income: LOW
    Resources: LOW
    Local Opinion: BELOW AVG
    Security: HIGH
    Morale: AVG
    Outpost: NEEDS REPAIR

Infrastructure-
    Mess Hall: Provides simple fare. No set staff, meals are cooked by a cycling pair of individuals who each keep an eye on the other as they handle food.

Forces:

A-Rank Jounin: 2 ('Nara', 'Axe')
    B-Rank Jounin: 4
    C-Rank Chunin: 13

C-Rank Medic-Nin: 1 ('Kekkon')

Human Resources:

Noble Maid?
    Poison Petals bloodline carrier.
    Varying pre-packaged specimens: x8

Other Resources:

Food: 20 turns
    Ryo: 5600
    Luxuries: 6 units

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  2. Threadmarks: 001. Made an offer you can't refuse.
    Chibi-Reaper

Chibi-Reaper D-Donations plz?

As far as jobs go, debt collection isn't a bad one. As long as you're smart enough to do the tallying and itemization and value assessment, rather than the heavy lifting and intimidation that need large, visibly muscular men.

Of course, there are times when collection trips become a little more exciting than you'd rather. Usually, the imposing muscle does the trick, or there's a brief scuffle as everything proceeds as normal.

You figure out that this isn't how it will go this time right about when you hear the meaty 'chuntk' sound of a knife finishing its casual path around the room to bury itself between the eyes of your help.

It was a temp job for him, just like you. Something to earn a little money before moving on to the next toil... you'd never met him before, and probably never would have again. Now he's laid out on the floor, and you only realize that another of those little knives is headed your way when the tinkling sound of metal on metal tells you that it's been deflected with a dirty spoon.

Of all the places, you've been sent to repo from a bar that's currently serving as a missing-ninja hide-out and neutral ground of some kind. Well, it was a nice enough life, though much shorter than you expected it to be.

"Hold on a minute." The slouching man who just saved your life says, voice slow and lazy. "I'm thinking about something."

There's some displeased grumbling in the gathered lot, and you swallow thickly. Despite that, it seems like the man is going to get his requested sixty seconds... you can't speak for after that. You wonder if you could break and run... no, it's like looking at a pack of wild dogs. Run, and you'll be run down, for amusement if nothing else.

"You remember that thing that got brought up before? How everything's harder without the back-up, or the infrastructure. What cut it off was... who's in charge, right?" he asks aloud.

There's a sudden scattered sound of voices, a few different names.

"Yeah, shut up. Talking here." the lazy man grunts. "But thinking about it... sure, the person in charge is usually the strongest person. But what do they really do, you know? I mean, besides in theory being the last line of defense for what have you. What do they actually spend their days doing? I know we've got people've started off from a few different villages here. Leaf, Mist, Sand... Rain and Grass too, at least." he says, pointing out the visible, though marred, plates of metal and insignias stamped into them. Not all have them visible.

There's a much more quiet muttering, and very faint conjecture as ancient memories are prodded.

"Paperwork?" Someone ventures. Woman's voice.

"Lots of talking to people, but... always a stack of something needed a signature."

"I can't think of... well, handed out assignments directly sometimes, but usually just had a go-between..."

"There's definite... no, that's down-time. On the job it's...."

"Yeah, I figured it would be pretty similar across the board." the lazy man notes. "It's just about... paperwork, entirely. Things that need to be signed, stamped, overviewed, sent off and delivered. Tedious bullshit that eats up your day, and then you spend all of your time off, or nearly, trying to keep yourself sharp just in case since you never see any real combat. It's kind of a drag, and someone's got to do it. But all you really need is to be smart enough to make decisions, capable enough to sign your own name, and dumb enough to be the biggest target around."

The lazy man waves a hand at you.

"... Looks like the answer just dropped into our laps." he grunts.

"You're shitting me." an upset woman snaps, standing up and drawing attention to the heavy looking axe across her back. "What the hell does this weed know about running an organization of ninja, huh?"

"You rather we fight it out, and probably a couple of the bigger deals go down over it? That's start-up funds, I guess." the lazy man points out. "Besides, he'll figure it out. After all, his neck's on the line here too... if he can't hack it, then we can always find another paper-pusher that might appreciate the offer more."

When he smiles, it's like a shark.

"Have a seat... Glorious Leader." he says, voice containing only a trace of very clear sarcasm. "So you tell me. If you were going to found a village, where would you put it?"

Good god, they're serious.

You had better be too, then. Your life is hanging in a precarious balance. You have to think. The major countries are out... rich and a lot of space, leaving Wind and it's nearly impossible to cultivate anything deserts aside, but they already have big Ninja villages set up and from what you understand, they don't at all appreciate competition.

So if you were founding a village, and not just being coerced into founding a village, it would be....

----

[ ] The land of Rivers. High transport ability, and many trade routes go through there. If you can get noticed, then there'll be a lot of money going through.
    [ ] The land of Rice. Lots and lots of cheaply available food, from the rice paddies nearly covering the whole region. You hear something has been off with the daimyo recently, though.
    [ ] The land of Bears. On the plus side, lots of trees and there are mineral deposits to make use of. On the other hand, bears breed like rabbits here and grow very large.
    [ ] The land of Fruit Trees. It also produces fine nectars and wines from the fruit. Which may be a downside, since it's plentifully available and relatively cheap.
    [ ] The land of Shrines. Austere, picturesque landscape and you'll infuriate possibly countless monks and pilgrims if you harvest the natural resources too freely, but who would seriously look for a pack of ninja-criminals here?

3. Dreadis

Dreadis No idea whats going on

[X] The land of Bears. On the plus side, lots of trees and there are mineral deposits to make use of. On the other hand, bears breed like rabbits here and grow very large.

4. Darkened

Darkened Experienced.

[X] Rice

5. Xicree

Xicree Destroy and Rejoice!

[X] The land of Bears. On the plus side, lots of trees and there are mineral deposits to make use of. On the other hand, bears breed like rabbits here and grow very large.

Iz it a bear?
    If no then try again.
    If yes then...

WRASSLE!!!!

6. useless101

useless101 Doing Nothing, Nothing Doing.

[X] Rice

I'm sure this won't result in massive warfare with a horribly overpowered mad scientist, and there certainly won't be any rather creepy innuendo for flavor.

I think I'm going to refer to the main character as the Repokage.

Nanimani and abyssmal_kismet like this.
  7. HypoSoc

HypoSoc The mind is such a fragile plaything.

Tani, Oto, Hoshi, and two original countries.

Don't know much about Tani, but direct competition would only hurt both villages, even if they can't wipe us out.
    Oto would be Orochimaru's territory and that is a den of snakes you do not want to tread over.
    Hoshi is pathetic, but their Alien Cancer can be a big threat, and the fourth is a warmonger.

Of the other two, assuming they have hidden villages, I think being on bad terms with Ninja Miko and Monks is worse than bog standard minor shinobi.

[X] The land of Fruit Trees. It also produces fine nectars and wines from the fruit. Which may be a downside, since it's plentifully available and relatively cheap.

Also best Shinobi are drunkards, see Jariya and Tsunade

8. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

[X] Rivers

Cities built on rivers are historically more likely to flourish than those built away from them.

9. Silversun17

Silversun17 Connoisseur.

[X] The land of Fruit Trees. It also produces fine nectars and wines from the fruit. Which may be a downside, since it's plentifully available and relatively cheap.

10. Roarky

Roarky Less likely to be a father than my little sister

[X] Bears

But then, I'm prejudiced. ;)

11. Galeiam

Galeiam Optimistically Asexual.

^...But this is a Warring states period...ish.
    So a city built on a River will be invaded and subjugated within 3 years....
    Rice on the other hand will lead to use being a minion city to some criminal organization as we'd end up being Manual labor types just to keep sustained.
    Shrines....Too much superstition to encourage good business, unless it's cultivated that is.
    Bea- Lolnoped. Though...can they be tamed? Casualties involved are negligible.
    Fruit Trees....This means extremely fertile lands...good water sources...cheap dependable food source...yeah...why is no one else here though.

12. Guile

Guile Clothes That Kill Virgins

[X] Land of Shrines
    What kind of threat could monks be?

[​IMG]

Nanimani, MHLord and Chibi-Reaper like this.
  13. Adyen

Adyen Experienced.

[X] The land of Rice. Lots and lots of cheaply available food, from the rice paddies nearly covering the whole region. You hear something has been off with the daimyo recently, though.

Obviously, once we fix whatever is disturbing him, we can get a great backer to help setup the village!

>_> <_< What? What S-Class threat there? I know no such thing.

14. Robotninja

Robotninja Connoisseur.

[X] Land of Shrines

15. Happerry

Happerry The Song to the Flame

[X] The land of Shrines. Austere, picturesque landscape and you'll infuriate possibly countless monks and pilgrims if you harvest the natural resources too freely, but who would seriously look for a pack of ninja-criminals here?

I really considered the Land of Bears, because Giant Bears mean we have something to train on that is still deadly and isn't other ninja, but I really wanna see what life in the land of Shrines would be like.

Also, with any luck we might be able to get hired to help keep watch for other ninja trying to rob the shrines or stuff, or by pilgrims to help guard them on their pilgrimages, or by monks to kill bandits trying to prey on pilgrims, and so on. And if someone throws a tailed beast at us we'll have lots of holy people to hide behind.

16. mc2rpg

mc2rpg Versed in the lewd.

[X] Bears

17. Vindictus

Vindictus Experienced.

[X] Land of Rivers

I'm thinking... Not a village, as such. A network, decentralized, covering the entire land, with small cells here and there. Ease of travel in the Land of Rivers makes this far more possible, and lets us set up boltholes hither and yon.

Add in additional revenue by branching out into multiple businesses, whether legitimate or not, and suddenly we're Ninja World's first Megacorp.

18. Valette-Serafina

Valette-Serafina Shameless Shadow

[X] Land of Shrines

Plotvitalnpc likes this.
  19. Grosstoad

Grosstoad Whimsical Paranoid Creeper

[X] Land of Shrines

Then use spiritual themes, good spirits, evil spirits, etc.

20. Anasurimbor

Anasurimbor I trust you know where the happy button is?

[X] The land of Rivers. High transport ability, and many trade routes go through there. If you can get noticed, then there'll be a lot of money going through.

21. inverted_helix

inverted_helix Connoisseur.

My thought is with the basis of missing nin you really don't want the immediate notice that being on the river would provide.

Orochimaru really rules out land of rice.

I don't want all the ninja drunk all the time so that rules out land of fruit.

The monks and mikos will probably be super powered ones and a major issue in their own right, though maybe that could be handled well.

Giant bears on the other hand are a training opportunity.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2014
  22. ragoogar

ragoogar Versed in the lewd.

[X] The land of Rivers. High transport ability, and many trade routes go through there. If you can get noticed, then there'll be a lot of money going through.

I'm compelled by what Naruto from Case13's fic The Art of the Deal did with River country. If you're basing This River country from there, then yes this just might work.

23. Galeiam

Galeiam Optimistically Asexual.

Wish case13 had finished his stories...feels like he died or something.

24. Lon

Lon Well worn.

Well, river is the obvious trading spot because transportation of goods and fresh water. This would be the Konoha option. Since this village would probably focus on civilian infrastructure.

Bears because Bears. Good plentiful meat, AND training. No ninja getting dull there though you'll probably have far less civilian infrastructure. So this would be the Kumo option I think

Shrines because touhou bias sadly. Still, If we can somehow integrate the monks and miko's techniques. That might be interesting since they might have sealing or sage arts and stuff. But probably not worth the hassle. I think this might be the Wind option since we'd apparently be limited by resources.

Fruit trees is kind of bleh. Our ninja will probably be happy. But it doesn't sound like it'd lead to a productive ninja economy.

Rice is mist. nuff said.

Hmm, not sure what to choose though.

25. shaderic

shaderic An ordinary cat?

Hahaha, oh wow.

We're an accountant being coerced into leading an army of renegade ninja with the hopes of creating a successful mercenary business.

This is going to end in tears. Tears and glory.

[X] Land of Shrines.

In for a penny, in for a pound. Not just for Touhou possibilities, but because this is the one that probably deals the most with the supernatural and mysticism. You don't populate an entire country with shrines for no reason, after all.

Also, because...

[img width=436 height=600]http://static.zerochan.net/Hakurei.Miko.full.1178130.jpg[/img]

Any chance for the Sendai Hakurei no Miko is to be grabbed with both hands.

26. Adyen

Adyen Experienced.

We're going to red tape spiritualism to death. Totally.

27. korat56

korat56 Well worn.

[X] The land of Shrines.

28. Heaven Canceler

Heaven Canceler Behind You!

29. rcnr

rcnr Dangerously Chuuni

[X] Land of Shrines.

How do you hide a group of magical mercenaries? As monks, obviously. Monks are weird, and spiritual, and know martial arts. It's perfect.

30. Krein

Krein Fer all the lewds

[X] The land of Shrines. Austere, picturesque landscape and you'll infuriate possibly countless monks and pilgrims if you harvest the natural resources too freely, but who would seriously look for a pack of ninja-criminals here?

The most interesting choice.