1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Cooking Thread~ Recipes & Things

Discussion in 'General' started by Biigoh, May 1, 2013.

1. Threadmarks: On Leftover Sauce - Sinner_sb
    Sinner_sb

Sinner_sb Experienced.

Freeze the sauce in small portions for future use. Depending of how fatty the pork was and the kind of sauce you made, you can remove the delicious lard to use for regular cooking as replacement for regular oil. Freezing the sauce in individual or meal sized portions for future use is the best advice that I can offer that doesn't come with 'cook something that goes well with sauce' as the core of it.

I believe that save starch based sauces such as bechamel and its family, every sauce can be frozen for later use. A few years back I was big on making homemade tomato sauce, I would make a gallon or so batch of sauce in the end and freeze it in half liter portions. Same with chicken, pork or beef stock.

Sydonai, Snake/Eater and Rukkileib like this.
  2. Rukkileib

Rukkileib I trust you know where the happy button is?

This is a good idea. I’ve frozen gallons and gallons of sauces, all the way up to homemade Worcestershire, and it’s usually the best option if you’re having trouble using it all.

Snake/Eater and Sinner_sb like this.
  3. Sinner_sb

Sinner_sb Experienced.

Homemade Worcestershire, tell me more about it? You made it or it was from a outside source?

4. sunandshadow

sunandshadow Impractical Fantasy Animal

I'm going to bake a chocolate cheesecake next week (first full week of December). So if anyone else wants to bake one, we could have a little informal contest/comparison. :cool:

Sydonai likes this.
  5. Sword Stalker

Sword Stalker Dead or Alive. Your choice.

Aw damn, that sounds good now... *muttermutter* make me get out my cookbooks will you *muttermutter*

6. Aleh

Aleh Destroyer of Faith in Humanity

I've been making hot mulled apple cider... from scratch. Kinda fun, but a real pain at times.

7. Threadmarks: chocolate cheesecake - sunadnshadow
    sunandshadow

Sydonai likes this.
  8. Rukkileib

Rukkileib I trust you know where the happy button is?

I made it, yeah. I did some looking around at a couple recipes, and said 'I can absolutely do this'.

It was... a bit of an adventure. But after a few batches I think it came out well.

I'll post my recipe and methods when I can get my hands on my recipe book again. I'll let you guys learn from my mistakes.

9. Threadmarks: Microwave egg - Snake/Eater
    Snake/Eater

Snake/Eater Myth Maker of the North

I recently decided that I enjoy microwaving eggs as a snack.

Just use a small bowl, rub margentine in it then eggs eggs, cover with a paper towel or tea plate and microwave for 30 seconds if you enjoy over easy.

The sky is the limit with what else you can do.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
    Biigoh likes this.
  10. Threadmarks: chocolate cheesecake - sunadnshadow
    sunandshadow

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1lxWTaK8ljHg6XwwqZnb4ZEKWSbXtSW3ohQ
    I made my chocolate cheesecake. I used two small premade oreo crusts, so that's why there's two. The filing recipe was actually the perfect size for two small premade crusts, so if you want less cheesecake just cut it in half - 2 bricks of cream cheese, 2 large eggs, half a bag of bittersweet chocolate chips (I used ghirardelli's), and 3/4 cups sugar. If you use dark chocolate chips it will be much sweeter so maybe 2/3 cups sugar instead. If you use semi-sweet chips, only 1/2 cup sugar. This picture shows one with ganache, one without. The cheesecake filling could have used a little more sugar or some mini chocolate chips, and I'm not very fond of the ganache, so next time I won't make ganache.

Snake/Eater likes this.
  11. Snake/Eater

Snake/Eater Myth Maker of the North

so is anyone going to share what they ate during the holidays?

i had a roasted rabbit stuff with rice and cheese.

12. sunandshadow

Wow, I haven't had rabbit in many years. I have no idea where I could buy fresh rabbit around here.

For New Year I did the traditional thing and made pork and cabbage, though I added shredded mozzarella which isn't traditional at all. I also made oatmeal cookies. I tried using coconut oil rather than butter or margarine; for some reason it made the cookies come out a bit dry and crunchy.

Snake/Eater likes this.
  13. Threadmarks: Lasagna - Shaderic
    shaderic

shaderic An ordinary cat?

Right, so I made a lasagna today.

I've made lasagna's before, but this one... this one turned out fucking tasty as hell.

So, I figured I'd share my modifications with you. For reference, I use this reciple as a base. It's pretty easy.

There's a few key changes I made to suit my personal tastes though. Firstly, I swapped the spinach in the egg-cheese mix for more Parmesan. Secondly, the meat. The recipe says to use ground hamburger, and that makes it turn out OK. I think it comes out a bit bland though. If you can spice your ground hamburger, that's fine. I'm a terrible cook though, so I changed the hamburger for ground sausage.

My dad recommends using hot italian sausage, but I couldn't find that anywhere, so I substituted a ground hot breakfast sausage. And let me tell you, that added a ton of flavor to the whole thing.

Another thing I've realized is, when shopping for lasagna noodles, make sure you pick thick ones. Too thin, and they'll be almost soggy when you pull your lasagna out of the oven. Next up, while most of your other ingredients are pretty stable and you'll end up picking the same thing again and again, the sauce can change a lot. It's important and affects taste, but it's fine tuning. A good sauce pick can elevate your lasagna, but you won't find out your favorite one unless you experiment.

It's fairly simple, and blows store-bought lasagna out of the water.

kalifianto, Malaquez, Biigoh and 2 others like this.
  14. sunandshadow

Italian sausage is delicious, but they are always sold raw in the refrigerated section (both Giant Eagle and Walmart sell them in Pittsburgh but idk if you live in a place with fewer italian ancestry people), and you have to boil or fry them, then cut them up (and they have casings, so if you don't like casings, like me, you have to peel them which is quite a pain) before you even get to baking the lasagna.

15. Dreadis

Dreadis No idea whats going on

They sell it as simply ground meat too.

16. sunandshadow

Wow that would be way more convenient if I could find it that way locally...

17. seeing_octarine

seeing_octarine Unverified Colour

It's interesting how often microwaves are overlooked for cooking. It's possible to make fried, poached, or scrambled eggs. Some small cakes can be cooked in them. Whole baked potatos can be made. Poaching vegetables in general is trivial. There are lots of little issues with microwaves (eg, I have no idea how widespread turntable-free models are, wattage varies quite a bit, heating evenly can be tricky) but that's no excuse.

Microwaved porridge is always inferior to stovetop porridge, however, and anyone who tries to claim otherwise is wrong. :p

Sydonai likes this.
  18. konamikode

konamikode Objectified SI

Been doing a lot of crock pot cooking lately. Curry, gumbo, bean soup, pulled every kind of meat.

So good :3

19. sunandshadow

I think everyone has had some bad microwave experiences with soup boiling over and popcorn burning, not to mention that microwaves are terrible for anything made out of bread and any frozen fried things. But I cook sausages and bacon in there, much better than a frying pan. It's a lifesaver if you need to melt chocolate too, no double-boiler needed. I never got into doing single baked potatoes or coffee mug cakes but I've heard other people rave about them.

Sydonai likes this.
  20. Fate's End

Fate's End Know what you're doing yet?

In relation to High Noon:
    hot take: the only good potatoes are the many varieties of starchy potato. waxies and yellows begone.
    also, sweet potatoes aren't potatoes.

21. Terthna

Terthna Professional Lurker

The only good potato is instant:
    [​IMG]
    and no, I am not kidding.

Seriously, mix in some butter, sour cream, cheese, powdered garlic, salt, and pepper, and you've got the perfect mashed potatoes.

22. Aleph

Aleph Experienced.

I think that might be the most heretical post I’ve ever read. Good job, you’ve captured this thread for Chaos.

23. Khona Moshr

Khona Moshr I trust you know where the happy button is?

So I've started to teach my self to cook and here's my first successful use of a skillet, what do you guys think of it?

[​IMG]

Malaquez, Biigoh, Fate's End and 2 others like this.
  24. Evillevi

Evillevi Shadow Pika!

No durian. 0/10

Edit:

TBHit looks delicious

Khona Moshr likes this.
  25. Threadmarks: Korean Chicken on Stick - Konamikode
    konamikode

konamikode Objectified SI

Try making your own sweet or spicy sauce to go with the skewers + some veg options. Cooking meat with sauce is a little more difficult, especially the thicker varieties, but getting that perfect amount of char adds a ton of flavor. If your skillet is of cast iron make, I'd also recommend trying out cornbread.

Here's a Korean recipe for chicken on a stick if you wanna try saucing it :3
    http://seonkyounglongest.com/dakkochi/

Evillevi, Khona Moshr and Sydonai like this.
  26. Khona Moshr

Not trying durian yet, especially since I can only het it frozen.

I used a mixture of soy and teriyaki sauce with shallots and ginger add in as the sauce for those skewers, but I'm not sure I used enough.

And yeah that Korean recipe looks good I'll give it a try when I'm back at home.

Sydonai and konamikode like this.
  27. Fate's End

Fate's End Know what you're doing yet?

Looks a little burnt, but that might just be your marinade. How did it taste?

28. Khona Moshr

It tasted pretty good but yeah I think I did burn it a little I've never used a skillet to cook meat before.

29. Aleph

Aleph Experienced.

Well it’s not a hamburger, so it beats my first attempt at using a skillet.

Actually, come to think of it, I’ve never made skillet kebabs, either - I don’t have a grill, but I’ve always just used an oven when I’ve got a craving. That might be why they’re a bit crispy on the bottom - they’re generally cooked with indirect heat.

30. Khona Moshr

I think the reason your's get crispy is it sounds like you dont flip the meat halfway so the two sides get cooked unevenly.