1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Exalted 3E Discussion

Discussion in 'General' started by Smuthunter, Feb 4, 2015.

1. tehelgee

tehelgee The stern gaze of justice. Administrator

My view on it is that most artifact weapons are still designed to be a weapon first, and pretty second. So most of them are going to look fairly similar simply because they are trying to be efficient and usable. The differences would be in the details, which is where the fine engraving, the wrapping made of God-blooded seal pup fur, and other such things would come in. The book even notes in a couple entries that the specific artifact appears to be more ornamental than intend for use, which says to me that the really unique mall-ninja designs were fairly rare among artifacts.

2. backtoback

backtoback Getting sticky.

Eh, that's a fairly 'depends on your taste' issue. I like my Daiklaves just cool swords and ornamented with diamonds created by crushing several civilizations(and if you have really good eyes you can see how it was crushed. graphically!)

3. Jormangandr

Jormangandr Making the rounds.

This is the best book in the Exalted line in a long time. Sorcerer with Talion, The Quincunx, and a Collar of Dutiful Submission hooooooo~

Smuthunter likes this.
  4. tehelgee

I like to think the Collar of Dutiful Submission is really just a fetish toy never meant to be taken seriously.

5. Jormangandr

It can be both, honestly. A look into the mind of it's creator, who wanted to control those mightier than them with magic...

Or a gift to a lover who was really into submission and choke play (I would totally love an RP based around that actually:D). Though as a tool to dominate for drama, I would say a collar is a bit too on the nose :D I'd probably make it a ring or a suit of armor or something. A plausible gift to a rival that enslaves them, and the PCs have a reluctant miniboss to free!

6. Valette-Serafina

Valette-Serafina Shameless Shadow

Certainly the best in the last fifteen months.

Bre Karn and Sydonai like this.
  7. Jormangandr

Well I mean...there is literally not a single 2E book that rises to this level of quality, in prose or mechanics, or has as many interesting little tidbits. I think Dragonblooded: The Outcaste, or Exalted: The Dragonblooded, is comparable? 3e has the advantage on mechanics, admittedly, since it has a system that isn't swiss cheese. Or, rather, 'paper mache made out of glass', for my preferred metaphor.

8. Valette-Serafina

Have you ever read Compass: Autochthonia?
    Ex3 is no better, simply less explored.

Sydonai likes this.
  9. Biigoh

Biigoh Primordial Tanuki Moderator

I find that 1e is pretty good in terms of fluff...

Sydonai likes this.
  10. Jormangandr

Yeaaaaah no. I've played both extensively. Ex3 is functional. 2e is not. The sheer number of gentleman's agreements and houserules required for 2e to not collapse in on itself was staggering. Ex3 we can just run out the box. The issues it has are annoying at worst, not game shattering

1e is best in fluff so far. I adore the DB books.

11. Valette-Serafina

Craft. Also, there's a prolonged discussion on the Initiative mechanic in this thread, also covering the new concept of rerolling part of a dice pool based on conditions that require the dice pool to be counted first. Indefinitely.

There are some improvements, but they're weighed down by new problems. Remember, by the way, that this is the second book. Only one type of Exaltation has so far been given actual charms, and creation has a minimum of five types of Exalted. That's four more books to break the system.

Ignoring them, however, Ex3 core is not a well-designed system. Some assembly is required.

Edit: Almost forgot. Rules as written, Withering attacks can't actually hit anything ever, regardless of stats.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
    Sydonai likes this.
  12. Bre Karn

Bre Karn (Very Slow) Writer of Glorious Smut

Really? Please do tell.

13. Valette-Serafina

No step for declaring target. No target = No chance to hit.

Certainly, this is an easy fix. It is still a fix, however.

14. cross_grave

cross_grave Belligerent Spitire

Is it one worth complaining about, though? I mean, this strikes me as nitpicking. If someone declares an attack, they generally declare the target in the same sentence.

15. Valette-Serafina

It's one of several issues in the core combat system, one that highlights the gaps Ex3 has so far. This one is quite visible: There will be others less so.

Further, it's the least of the issues raised in that post.
    Firstly, that isn't how it's worked in my experience. Plenty of "I attack." *Rolls* / "Attack who, again?"

Regardless, however, declaring a target isn't part of the attack steps. Doing so, therefore, is a house rule or player consideration.

16. cross_grave

cross_grave Belligerent Spitire

You were playing with idiots. My condolences.

Still don't think this is an issue worth noting, but I can see why you think otherwise.

17. Valette-Serafina

If you can find a group without idiots, then I'll call you lucky.
    I add it mostly to point out that the system clearly wasn't competently proof-read. It's not an issue any group is likely to have problems with, aside from someone "smart" rolling and then applying the attack to any target they think they can hit, but it's a section that renders combat fundamentally broken without a fix.

18. kinglugia

kinglugia A Randy Avian

Things fall through the gaps.

Sydonai likes this.
  19. nick012000

nick012000 Gone for Good

It's literally Sun Wukong's headband.

Prince Charon and Sydonai like this.
  20. Sydonai

Sydonai Versed in the lewd.

And this is supposed to stop the Exalted from using it for kinky stuff?

1986ctcel and Prince Charon like this.
  21. Stroth

Stroth Definitely not an AI

Pretty sure that didn’t even stop Sun Wukong from using it for kinky stuff.

1986ctcel, Prince Charon and Sydonai like this.
  22. Anasurimbor

Anasurimbor I trust you know where the happy button is?

It's a very different approach that gives an interesting new option, but I can see how it could be very frustrating for many. You'd really have to keep around a very solid backup option. OTOH, you should really have that anyway, and it lets you screw up other people's weapons.

23. tehelgee

I mean, I could understand it if the build up of heat was tied to certain high-powered Charms, but each attack causing the build up and the thing cracks if the roll turns up any 1's? From the reading, the heat goes up for each attack, not each round it was used to attack. Have any attack flurry charms? Enjoy that extra heat.

1986ctcel and Sydonai like this.
  24. tehelgee

I've been tinkering a bit, trying to visualize how much space each range band would be by using descriptions given in the book by using a hex grid.

Close range would be about 10' or so(melee range, or can step into it very quickly), short would be about 20'(outside melee range but still pretty close), medium out to about 70'(limit of thrown weapons, requires shouting for communication), long extending to 800'(max range of a longbow, needs signals or something for communication). Of course, anything beyong long is narrative, as I think extreme was meant to be.

https://i.imgur.com/GlgwngG.png (warning: stupid big image)

Close = red, short = blue, medium = green, long = purple ring is the outer limit.

What I take away from this is that charms that boost your movement, especially to long range, are making you move hella fast.

Sydonai, kinglugia and Bre Karn like this.
  25. Bre Karn

Bre Karn (Very Slow) Writer of Glorious Smut

Very interesting tidbit of lore from the last book: apparently, in 3E, Creation has an anima, shaped by the Essence expenditures of the gods. Was there anything to that effect in previous books? It also seems to retcon starmetal as being from dead gods - it is just the pooling of the anima on the celestial vault...

26. Valette-Serafina

Nope. This is entirely new.

27. Nervaqus987

Nervaqus987 Well worn.

Yeah, I remember it being mentioned that they wanted to change Starmetal from being made out of dead gods to minimize overlap with soulsteel and to stop encouraging Sidereals to arrange for gods to executed on trumped up charges because they wanted a new pair of boots.

Bre Karn likes this.
  28. Stroth

Stroth Definitely not an AI

But that was the source of half the political intrigue of playing one!

Valette-Serafina likes this.
  29. Valette-Serafina

And now the Sidereal Exalted should always be better armed than the Lunar and Solar Exalted, and on par with any given Terrestrial.

Also, as mentioned, an aspect of their splat-specific conflict has been weakened.

30. Nervaqus987

Nervaqus987 Well worn.

Leaving aside that Sids had that benefit already, if anything the way Starmetal is formed now should mean they have less than before given that Starmetal is now naturally created when Essence tangles up in the constellations and then falls to the earth, unlike before where the two fold issue was "Who can I get executed and can I reach the starmetal before someone else does?"

Bre Karn likes this.