1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Fourth [Worm Altpower!Taylor]

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by TCGM, Feb 3, 2018.

1. the DragonBard

the DragonBard Creator of Worlds

Most likely happy coincidence.
    But it's still interesting.

Still, she's going to need a cape name (I mean, she still wants to be a hero, probably).

2. badger.black

badger.black Drunken Woodland Mammal

Yep. Latest chapter is still fun as fuck. And Taylor laid out a verbal beat down hard enough to make the morally corrupt Cauldron members have an attack of conscience. Which is pretty damn impressive. Kinda broke Eidolon though.

The friendbringer is hilarious and oh so very ripe for causing problems in the future. Also this makes friendbringer Emma mentally two years youngwr then she looks, right? Xeroxed her mind from before she went bitch mode, so that should be interesting. Also I can't wait for Friendbringer Emma to tear bitch Emma a new metaphorical asshole. Because meeting yourself and then having the sort of verbal beatdown that is impending happen to her is going to be deliciously epic. Or whatever the glorious author decides to do.

And now the Endbringers areally in human form so the floodgates of insanity must have well and truly been opened.

And now Taylor and the Friendbringer need to go out to get Ice cream. For emotional reasons. Maybe bring Ziz and party along to enjoy the wonders of frozen treats after her planned tonguelashing. They came to you to make it easier after all Taylor.

Prince Chrom and Prince Charon like this.
  3. january1may

january1may Versed in the lewd.

The way I understand it, it originally took off as fanon, and then Wildbow came in and basically said "you know, why not? let's go with that".

Would hardly be the first time this happened to an author. Not even the first time it happened to Wildbow, I think - there's the infamous story of Genoscythe the Eye-Raper.

4. kraiv

kraiv Getting sticky.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Zion use a human "operating system" when he started on earth and got basically blue screened because it couldn't handle it?

5. Mgunh1

Mgunh1 MONKE

The best thing about Genosythe? He isn't canon until Leviathan, at which point he briefly becomes canon solely so that he can be killed off and then immediately ceases to be canon again.

6. Jordisk

Jordisk Versed in the lewd.

Zion used some combination of shards to mimic Human emotions...for some insane reason that I do not understand. This meant he became super depressed and nearly suicidal before meeting that British hobo, who then convinced him that being a hero might help. He did the hero thing, but it ended up that the shards and emotions were somehow in control instead of Prime-Zion, so he stayed depressed. It took Jack Slash and Broadcast to change his emotional alignment, shifting him all the way to anger at ALL THE EARTHS and suggesting that destroying them might make him feel better.

Honestly, the best thing Zion could have done was locate Eden after she died, or nearly died at least, and taken her shards. Then he would have all that processing ability, and could have continued the cycle.

icesonic, Jonn Wolfe and Zeushobbit like this.
  7. january1may

Golden Morning, not Leviathan, IIRC. The rest is true, though.

ToxinTurian likes this.
  8. Covertslaughter

Covertslaughter You just can't spell slaughter without laughter. Gone for Good

This story is hilarious your crack fics are so damn good.

january1may likes this.
  9. Emperor Lee

Emperor Lee Join the Empire! We have Lewds.

Now I have this odd vision in my head of the Heberts coming to face Zion during gold morning. He's so overjoyed to see Eden alive only to get blasted by her and told she's moved on. Danny pops up behind her all 'She's mine now Zion, we even have a daughter. Then Taylor just blasts Zion from behind 'Less Talky more beating up mom's ex husband'
    Meanwhile the other capes are all just watching this with dropped jaws wondering if they should get involved in the 'family spat?'

10. Jonn Wolfe

Jonn Wolfe (Verified Sarcastic) (Not a Wolf)

Well, this is a riot. :D

11. fractal42

fractal42 Not sequal to fractal41

Does this mean that Emma is being Mastered into feeling extra protective of Taylor, that if Emma tried to betray Taylor then she would be Mastered into not taking that action, or just that Taylor could take control of her if necessary?

Pheonix14, Zeushobbit and january1may like this.
  12. january1may

I think it's probably something close to option three, with a side of "this particular version of Emma didn't yet have any reasons to betray Taylor, and is extremely unlikely to ever get any in the future".

13. Raging Iron Thunder

Raging Iron Thunder Know what you're doing yet?

This story is a fun mind-fuck to read. More insanity please!

14. the DragonBard

the DragonBard Creator of Worlds

Here's a question: If QA is Scion's, then how did Taylor get the idea it was a gift from the Thinker?

Also, will Taylor go out patrolling?
    Imagine the Protectorate's response to a Trump YES (copy powers, grant powers, manipulate powers, control parahumans) and Master Yes.

icesonic, Jonn Wolfe and january1may like this.
  15. Zeushobbit

Zeushobbit I use my mind and yours doesn't matter.

OH MY GOD!

Please make more of this, it's too good not to be continued. so much glorious Entity!Taylor.

At first I thought it was going to be an Endbringer!Taylor so I was trying to fit the Troll, the Idiot and the Librarian to the three of them but then I realised it was even better. I don't think I've ever seen Taylor as an entity at the start of a fic. Seen a couple where she becomes an entity over the course of things but never at the start.

Pheonix14, icesonic, Muroshi9 and 3 others like this.
  16. RexHeller

RexHeller The Muse Decends!

Well, this is amazing. More please?

17. TCGM

TCGM (Unverified God/Space Snek)

Interesting indeed. As for her cape name; I was thinking Eurubia.

Taylor's mom was an English Professor regardless of what else she might have been. Far too few fics have Taylor using words as her weapons, to say nothing of canon. I felt it was far more realistic for the girl with a English Prof mom, who's been beaten down by words for years, to use them herself. On those who deserve it, at least. This also opens lots of avenues for character exploration in a universe where, perhaps rightly so, Taylor will likely never face someone both smart and who knows of what she can do.

All bets are off on whether Lung or Jack get that memo though.

Yep! Friendbringer!Emma is the Emma that is still Taylor's sister. She has no memory of the two years beginning at and following her ABB PTSD episode. I'm still tossing around whether she looks younger or not, but currently my mental picture is that no, she doesn't. And given Emma's opinion of her original self, the tearing might not be so metaphorical and the beatdown might not end up being verbal. Taylor's got her work cut out for her.

Escalation curves? Who needs 'em? Just hit max at each stage, man! ;)

Thank you for the idea. It will most likely become canon.

Ah, that explains it. But this is the first I've heard of this visual organ puncturing fellow.

Uh oh. What well of dickery hath been opened here?

Oh dear.

My headcanon is that the Shards he used for empathy were actually Eden's, and as such, malfunctioning in the extreme.

Thanks! ^_^

This would be a pretty fun Omake. Thinking of taking the confrontation in a completely 90 degree angle from the classic Golden Morning: Bad End of Worm, though.

Riots... now there's an idea...

It's a lot less like the typical thing you think of when you think of being Mastered and more a directive. Friendbringer!Emma is technically Clarketech, just as Taylor is now and Entities are in general. Friendbringer!Emma literally cannot harm Taylor or go against her in the same way a subcomponent of a computer can't refuse instructions from the motherboard.

But as evidenced by Friendbringer!Emma being able to begin going to attack her original until Taylor stopped it, her free will is still there. Technically it's even there when Taylor was stopping her, as it was a lot more like a 'don't do this' instruction than a mind control thing, and Friendbringer!Emma basically sees Taylor as her controller. This is an interesting set of circumstances I wanted to investigate further and seemed highly plausible given the nature of the Entities and their Shards.

So, long story short, it's less Mastering, as that overrides the base 'programming' for lack of a better term of the person, and more that her base person wants to obey Taylor, period.

Thanks! Mindfrakkery is fun to include in crackfics fiction. And I'm working on it! ^_^

Well that's an interesting thought, now isn't it? Taylor's assumption is based on QA's Deployment Time. Whether her assumption is correct or incorrect, we will have to see.

Taylor's patrolling is... well, I imagine she might try it once or twice, provided nothing stops her from it (like a massive jump in escalation of the scenario. But why would I ever make that happen? ;) ). By her third time, everyone with two brain cells in their heads should have dropped the Bay like a hot rock and got the hell out of dodge.

I'm imagining and it is delicious.

Entity!Taylor's been done before, but never I felt done quite right. Thus why I made this and am writing it. Still writing the next chapter, btw.

I'd have loved to be a fly on the metaphorical wall of your mind as you tried that. Your thought process must have been hilarious.

Also, Taylor is Our Lady of Escalation. Escalation refers to getting more and more over time, it never describes where you have to start. And a version of her deserves a good, cracky stompfest.

Thanks! I am working on it, but my progress is slow. Lots of IRL things interfering and whatnot.

18. Ralyx

Ralyx Versed in the lewd.

I've always been rather iffy about the whole 'patrolling' gig, at least not how it's portrayed in Worm, since it simply does not seem effectual for much other than plainly visible petty crime and maintaining appearances. Most of the gangs' major, important illegal underpinnings happen indoors, and while building raids are occasionally conducted they seem to be the exception rather than the rule.

19. Zeushobbit

Zeushobbit I use my mind and yours doesn't matter.

Yeah, I sat there for about 5 minutes trying to wrap my head around who out of Levi and Behemoth was more likely to fit librarian cos troll had to be Simurgh but then Librarian also was more likely to be Simurgh but the half-dead part didn't fit...

My brain hit a BSOD and I decided to just read on for the inevitable explanation upon which I hadn't a moment of 'Oooooh! That makes much more sense.' as everything slotted into place.

20. SlickRCBD

SlickRCBD none

It is a way to draw out the powered members of the gangs.
    You stop a gang-banger from committing a crime. The gang-banger calls for backup and if you can defeat his backup you in theory get them off the streets.

21. RexHeller

RexHeller The Muse Decends!

Well, for the Protectorate and the Wards, patrols are a P.R. thing as much as anything else. It gets the heroes visible, people can walk up and ask for autographs, some petty crime gets stopped without too much risk, and thus people feel safer. Most of the arrests and fights are probably the result of raids and reacting to crimes in process, just like regular police. In this way, patrolling doesn't make much sense for anti-hero, vigilante types but for lighter heroes, it's an important part of the job, even if it doesn't directly stop crime.

22. fractal42

fractal42 Not sequal to fractal41

I'd be interested in an interlude from Friendbringer!Emma's perspective, including how she decided that she was a separate person from the Emma she remembered being, what she thought about being created with loyalty directives, and how those directives make her think differently from past!Emma. I'm assuming that you're not considering the loyalty directives mastering because they were built into her upon her creation and required no further external tampering, implying that you consider Friendbringer!Emma to be a new person and not a continuation of past!Emma; tell me if I've misunderstood you.

23. Bob Knob

Bob Knob Getting sticky.

• Do not necro. This is against Rule 7.
    What's the ETA to the next chapter? Love the story BTW.
    This could be a good fic idea. Could twist where the Warrior ends up crashing and dieing. The rest of the story ends up with her trying out a new Cycle and trying to find a new partner.

An alternative to tinker shards being tech databases would be mechanical corona pollentia. Basically a mechanical way of expressing powers. Thinking about this idea further makes sense. Mental powers would use one way to refine powers and tech would require a different method to refining powers.

24. TCGM

TCGM (Unverified God/Space Snek)

Whenever I can finish the next chapter. Life is kinda taking up most of my free time atm.

It does sound like a neat fic idea, doesn't it? ;)

I'm not sure I understand what you mean here. Mechanical brain tumors? o_O wut

january1may and Nightmare723764 like this.
  25. Deus_Ex_Transhuman

Deus_Ex_Transhuman Seeker of Marbles and Sanity

Maybe he meant something like this. Tinker 15

26. Nightmare723764

Nightmare723764 I HAVE BECOME THE HORNI HORSE!

Jesus fucking Christ that got dark sooo goddamn fast! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

january1may likes this.
  27. Bob Knob

Bob Knob Getting sticky.

I mean the tech is used as an external way to manifest powers. It’s why people have a hard time reproducing the tec because they are only seeing the partial picture. Tinker tec only acts like a conduit. They’d have to learn what the shards do to produce its effects.

28. Deus_Ex_Transhuman

We are talking about Worm, right? :confused:

29. Nightmare723764

Nightmare723764 I HAVE BECOME THE HORNI HORSE!

Well yeah but I read that Tinker 15 thing and wow... that could easily be turned into a creepypasta.

january1may likes this.
  30. Deus_Ex_Transhuman

Fair point, though, that's not saying much since creatures that escaped Lovecraft's imagination are freely roaming the multiverse of Worm.