1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Stand By Me (Worm/JoJo SI)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Leingod, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Leingod

Leingod Immaculate Blooming Lotus

Stand By Me's version is a Bound-type Stand that will work with the first structure that can hold a person prisoner that the user stands inside when he manifests it (which also means that he is, by default, always going to be the first victim of the Stand, though with the way his Stand works he has an off button that the original lacked).

Mammal_man likes this.
  2. NoFunposter

NoFunposter Can't sleep, Salt will eat me.

Oh my those are some fun stands.

A couple of really nice ones stand out.
    Joy Division is actually a really fun stand as it has so many little tricks to be exploited like how touching something fixed in position like a roof and yourself with opposite hands can move you on top of that roof, good for escapes when locked up,

And that's not even getting into the delayed activation swaps that can be trained and could be used to teleport the user or someone else back to an object the user has touched, you could smuggle people by tagging them with one hand and an object with the other, hell you could effectively capture villains just by touching them and delaying the swap with a cell. The only problem I can see is if the swap targets reset upon switching stands. Still it's potentially a really useful stand even if it can be considered weak.
    It's possibly one of the absolute best stands to mimic a Stranger power with
    • Memory of Jet's ability is to target a particular location or individual, then isolate the target from the cognition of all other people, to stop anyone from getting access to it. Under the effect of this Stand, all people cannot enter the targeted location out of their own will because the location itself and the ways toward it are excluded from their minds, except Teruhiko himself. When Teruhiko activates this ability to confine Akari Hirai, though he is unaware of his Stand ability, the roof and building gap where Akari is trapped into seem to completely disappear from other people's sights, hence no one ever comes to the roof and looks down to the gap. The effect of the Stand is maintained on an annual basis, as long as Teruhiko still has the will to use this ability.It is suggested that only the person who is guided by Teruhiko can get access to the targeted location.
    The stand basically deletes a location or individual from the minds of others, they can't even consider the target. Targeting yourself could let you sneak just about anywhere, but the major problem is it sounds like the stand's effect can linger for an entire year so it may not be the best idea to target people or yourself. Still the best stand for making secret bases that stay secret and inaccessible to all uninvited.
    It's a time hax stand, a gimmicky one but its replay ability is fairly useful for very obvious reasons. It's definitely the least hax time stand but it's still a really nice stand to have this early. Though I do wonder how its ability to pause and fast forward recorded events it replays effects people being replayed.
    Oh now this stand can be just downright nasty as are most affliction causing Stands. The Prosopagnosia it can instil is powerful enough to make its victims see objects like buses as people, that's a pretty high benchmark.
    DIO may have called it the weakest stand but it is absurdly nasty if unleashed in Worm. This is the stand that AMPLIFIES CONFLICT to the point its victims will turn upon their allies, readily damage themselves in their rage and seek to escalate a situation just to cause more conflict. I'd say it's only time to shine would be against a cohesive group of irredeemable villains, otherwise it is just too dangerous due to its nature as an automatic colony stand.

Edit: It does however have great synergy with Taylor as she could probably get bugs to move the Survivor stands around.

Also this is a great visualisation of what Survivor does:
    Lets hope it comes with the eidetic memory that actually made it so useful, while the deadly empathy via reading the memories of the stand user is ok its secondary ability is pretty great.
    "Secondly Takuma can accelerate the learning of any skill by continuously reading a memory of a successful attempt in anything, making himself effectively train himself over and over. It allowed him to learn knife throwing within a short time frame."

I'm looking forward to when you get stands like Dolly Dagger, Catch the Rainbow and Vitamin C, they're just fun high tier stands that aren't absolute HAX. Foo Fighters may also be nice if only because the stand is completely sapient.
    But at the moment you've got a nice spread of gimmick and underutilised stands that'll be interesting to see actually get some time to shine.

Edit: Edited the Survivor spoiler, seriously that stand is dangerous for "The Weakest" Stand.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  3. cats099

cats099 Not too sore, are you?

heaven's door + Viktor + the book = now all the skills

4. Leingod

It does in fact reset if you switch Stands, which means to use that trick you can't use any other Stand in the meantime.

I'm thinking I might keep the year-long minimum even if you switch out the Stand, because otherwise it makes a person Imp+. As it stands, great way to make a secret base and imprisoning people who don't have a power handy for escapes.

It doesn't affect the people involved. Moody Blues can replay the past, but it doesn't make other people or places replay past actions. It's a perfect Stand for detective work, though, among other things.

The only weakness is I can't do origami for sh*t, and not for lack of trying.

Well, the Stand also needs a wet surface to travel over.

It does not come with eidetic memory and instant recall, in fact, and as my life experience is so far short of crippling injury or near-death experience, both of The Book's powers are a lot less useful in my hands than they were in his. Which is kind of part and parcel to using a Stand that isn't really your own, but a copy of someone else's. Many Stands are tailor-made for the people who use them in some way, and while some can be used by the SI just as well or even better than their original users did, the reverse is also true.

I don't follow. You can just use Heaven's Door on its own for that, since Rohan gave himself the ability to speak fluent Italian.

5. cats099

cats099 Not too sore, are you?

i don't remember that.

6. Mammal_man

Mammal_man Making the rounds.

Could Heaven's door be used to instantly learn any skill? 'Cause if you can use it to learn italian you shuld be able to use it to learn other things.

7. Leingod

It was one of the Rohan one-shots.

Rohan can apparently write "I'm fluent in Italian" and it works just fine, so it would seem so. Not that it matters, since Heaven's Door is way too broken to get access to at any point but near the very end of the story.

8. NoFunposter

NoFunposter Can't sleep, Salt will eat me.

I almost forgot!

You actually have the Contessa of Stands available to you.

Hey Ya! is another one of those sentient stands and while its stats are utterly garbage its first ability helps bolster self confidence and its second ability is pretty much Path to Victory (Though Hey Ya! is lazy, cryptic and isn't completely infallible, at least it's nice).

9. Mammal_man

You should be careful that Lung isn't close by if you use Survivor, that would get real ugly real fast.

10. Mammal_man

On completly unrelated matters, hey Leingod, sorry for being annoying but, do you have an estimate of when the next chapter is going to be ready?

11. Leingod

Well, currently pretty much my whole family's sick and I've got a splitting headache, so it won't be anytime soon, unfortunately.

12. Mammal_man

Hope you get well soon.

13. Leftoverfiend

Leftoverfiend Consentacle Monster

Just found this, and let me say that ‹Stand By Me› is the best possible name for that Stand. :D

I noticed The Lovers isn't on your list of weak/simple Stands, although its own User described it as the weakest Stand in history.

Prince Charon likes this.
  14. Mammal_man

The Lovers may be the physically weakest Stand but it isn't the least powerful, it's like Highway to Hell but without the suicide part 'cause all pain caused to the user is amplified in the target. You may not be able to use to instakill someone but its powerful on its own way.

Solconbur likes this.
  15. Leingod

Steely Dan is full of shit, though, because without the ability to reenact Fantastic Voyage like the Stardust Crusaders did it's essentially an instant-win condition that's almost impossible to fuck up. When he calls is the "weakest," he's speaking purely in terms of physical combat, which of course it's incapable of due to its virtually microscopic size, but the moment it gets hold of you you're completely at the user's mercy.

Stands whose powers basically constitute an instant-win condition against most opponents, like Lovers, are excluded from Stand By Me's power... at the moment. This is so that the SI is forced to rely on "utility" Stands that aren't as good in a direct fight but are still tremendously useful in their own ways.

16. NowaifuNolaifu

NowaifuNolaifu Oh myyyyy...

Just ask Hey Yah. Hes basically a manual shortranged Path to Victory.

Highway star for assassinations

Hell if the effrcts remain after switching just pick Enigma and have a fieldtrip papering stuff like fire, electricity or explossions

17. NowaifuNolaifu

Oy just wanna clear Hermit Purple cant read minds.
    Joseph inherited some Hamon and was talented enough to have nascent clarivoyance or future sight.

He knew what they were gonna say necause Hamon does stuff like that. Tompeti predicted Zeppeli's future.

On that vein, the prediction did require to actually focus and touch Zeppeli so is not really a gamebreaker

Solconbur likes this.
  18. Mammal_man

Will Stand by me have the capability to turn into evolved (Requiem, Bites the dust, ACTs) Stands or just their base forms?

19. Leingod

Hamon was shown to tell the future, but it was never shown to read minds. Those are two very different powers.

ACT Stands count as one, but the higher ACTs have to be unlocked through personal development as normal. Attached "Sub-Stands" like Sheer Heart Attack and Epitaph are included with the Stand proper, though it might be possible to manifest the sub-Stand by itself. Requiem Stands are considered separate Stands entirely.

20. Mammal_man

If you get Clash before or during the Leviathan fight it's going to become fucking huge when Levi starts flooding everything. In Venice's canals it looks the size of a canoe, imagine how big it would get in a flooded main street.

PlasticSoldier, Solconbur and Leingod like this.
  21. Leingod

As a note on the comparisons between Hey Ya! and Path to Victory: Remember that Hey Ya! has only been shown making predictions on things that happen within a relatively short timeframe. It has shown no ability in long-term planning like Path to Victory does. In addition, all of its "paths" are relatively simple ones, with only a few steps that need to be followed, it doesn't let you run on virtual autopilot so human error is presumably still a factor, and it demonstrably isn't infallible. It's a tremendously useful Stand, but it's far from a match for PtV.

Well, the largest canal in Venice ranges from about 100-300 feet wide, so who knows how big the difference actually is.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  22. NowaifuNolaifu

Yes, for some reason people thinks hermit purple can.

Obviously. Its no deus ex machina but it took pocoloco to the winning place. While also avoiding most if not all o the stand bs. It is apparently more helpful than Stand By Me's base form.

What about Fun Fun Fun?
    >go to gang war
    >deploy Survivor
    >run upstairs
    >deploy F3
    >Puppet army

Solconbur likes this.
  23. Leingod

Because it can, in an admittedly limited way. Joseph specifically stated that he could use a television to display Enya's thoughts, which would allow them to find out DIO's Stand by simply asking her while doing so, because she would immediately think of the answer no matter how hard she tried not to ("Don't think of pink elephants" and all that). It's why Steely Dan was ordered to kill her; DIO couldn't let the Joestars get their hands on someone who knew the secret of his Stand, because Hermit Purple would inevitably reveal it.

It's definitely a useful Stand, but one limiting factor is it's Range of "D." In the manga, Fun Fun Fun was only able to affect an area roughly equal to a single room of a Japanese apartment. Japanese homes and apartments are usually standardized in size given in tatami mats; the usual size is either 4 or 6 tatami mats. Outside of Tokyo (where they're a little smaller), a tatami mat is 1.8 by 0.9 meters (5.9 by 3 ft), making a 4-mat room 6.12 m squared (66 square ft) and a 6-mat room 9.18 m squared (98.8 square ft); either size would be within the maximum range possible for a Range of D (which usually denotes a maximum area of affect that is within 2 and 10 meters away, or 6.6 ft and 33 ft). For F3's effect to work, the user and Stand have to be directly above the victim and within that range of 6-9 meters, which isn't exactly a small area, but is definitely a limiting factor in how many people you could affect at once, because most gang wars don't happen in cramped quarters with higher ground directly above the combatants conveniently placed for you.

The other limiting factor is that the user has to be aware of the victim's position to control them. If the user loses track of a victim, then even if all of their limbs are marked they can move freely. This might mean that controlling multiple victims becomes progressively harder, as the user has to keep track of each victim.

Not that Fun Fun Fun can't be used to take out large groups like you're suggesting, but it's not quite as simple and requires more prep-time than you might think.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    Solconbur and Mammal_man like this.
  24. Mammal_man

I dislike Fun! Fun! Fun!, it has the same control via injury shtick that Justice has but is made next to useless with its limitations and requierements.

Justice is a straight up upgrade.

Solconbur likes this.
  25. Leingod

I kind of like Fun Fun Fun for that exact reason, actually; the limitations of the Stand mean that the user is forced to be much more creative and careful in how they use it than Justice; the latter just covers the place in fog and then any little scratch means you're completely at its mercy. It's really cool, yeah, but I tend to like the more convoluted Stands with weird rules and restrictions. But if given the choice, obviously I'd want the one that's more useful and powerful in a fight.

That said, I think its secondary power could be pretty useful, too. Fun Fun Fun's body shape seems clearly modeled after a stethoscope, and the way that loud noises and the like don't seem to cause Ojiro to lose track of his victims despite being on the floor above them (you try to figure out exactly where in the room someone is from the floor above them simply by listening for their footsteps) seems to imply that he doesn't rely on his own sense of hearing. I think Fun Fun Fun has a secondary power of acting as a stethoscope to pick up on the vibrations created by sound, detecting movement in much the same way N'Doul did.

26. Mammal_man

Just realised that Tusk requires the Spin so unless that comes included you won't be able to use it.

27. Leingod

No comment.

Solconbur likes this.
  28. Mammal_man

Hmmmmmmm... Are you hiding something?

Leingod likes this.
  29. Fenrir

Fenrir Bites The Dust!

Had a fun name idea for the Horus Stand: Night of the Hawks, or Hawkwind.

Leingod likes this.
  30. The_Bad

The_Bad Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

What happens when Stand By Me becomes a sentient stand like GER or Echoes ACT 3?

Solconbur and Mammal_man like this.