1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Sun-Touched Dragon King [Exalted/Highschool DxD]

Discussion in 'Questing' started by heralding_bubble, May 26, 2018.

1. Kieron

Kieron Versed in the lewd.

[X][Yuuma] It is a burning inferno, but you stamp it down. (Major Intimacy: Yuuma (Hatred))

[X][Choice] Agree to talk more tomorrow, stay for the discussion.
    -[X] Factions/Sides and membership in the area, the relations between them, places claimed by the factions
    -[X] How to stay neutral/independent

2. heralding_bubble

heralding_bubble Liar and Hypocrite

So the winners are
    [x][Yuuma] It is the embers of a dying fire. She has paid for what she's done. (No Intimacy gained)
    [x][Choice] Agree to talk more tomorrow, stay for the discussion.
    With a side order of -[x]You just want to watch and listen. They should already know your identity, but you don't know theirs.
    Kieron that kind of discussion would probably be more appropriate for tomorrow's after-school conversation.

3. moonberserker

moonberserker Experienced.

What does intimacy do?

4. mrttao

mrttao Gone for Good

http://theonyxpath.com/exalted-third-edition-mechanics-overview/

moonberserker likes this.
  5. Kieron

[x][Yuuma] It is the embers of a dying fire. She has paid for what she's done. (No Intimacy gained)

Alright, changing my vote then.

edit: damn, too late.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  6. heralding_bubble

Added further Social Stuff to First Page, mostly written down from the corebook.
    Also added combat stuff to Weapon Rules.

heralding_bubble rolled 5 die of 10 faces, total: 39
    For: Dohnaseek (Cha+Soc)

Target: 7
    Difficulty: 3
    Success: 6 (Willpower used)
    Result: Success
    Rolled on: June-14-2018, 07:07pm

mrttao likes this.
  7. Threadmarks: 006
    heralding_bubble

[x][Yuuma] It is the embers of a dying fire. She has paid for what she’s done. (No Intimacy gained)
    -[x]You just want to watch and listen. They should already know your identity, but you don’t know theirs.

"We'll talk more tomorrow then, but if it's alright with you Gremory-san, I would like to stay for the discussion. If only to know who to look out for," you add as she was about to speak.

She frowns before grudgingly nodding. "If you wish, I suppose I don't have a reason to stop you." Koneko merely frowns at Rias' back before slightly shaking her head and staying quiet.

You wait in silence for the Fallen Angels to arrive. It doesn't take long - soon you hear the flapping of wings and few moments later are greeted with the sight of three people walking to the park square.

At the lead is a tall middle aged looking man with black hair and blue eyes, wearing a closed grey trench coat over a white shirt, black shoes, pants, and gloves. Behind him on the right side is a tall and large breasted woman with brown eyes and long blue hair, wearing a red coat that gives away a generous cleavage that should probably leave you drooling, a matching mini skirt, and black heeled shoes. To their left is a short blonde girl with twintails and a black bow on her head, with blue eyes and wearing a black gothic lolita dress with white frills and a black bow with a green gem on the front, white thigh highs with garter straps you can see disappearing up her dress, and black flat shoes.

They stop a few metres away from the Devils(?) and you, and the man at the head sizes your group up. "Miss Gremory," he greets as he bows in what your gut says mocking manner. "I am Dohnaseek. My companions are Kalwarner and Mittelt," he gestures to the woman and the girl respectively, the latter of whom gives a cheery wave.

"Fallen Angels," you're fairly sure she's glaring at them. "Your group was allowed into the city by assurances that you had no hostile intentions towards us and the civilians. Foolishly, at the advice of my brother I eventually allowed your presence. I was only moderately surprised when I received word on a Fallen Angel attacking a civilian tonight, and upon investigating it found her," she nods to Yuuma's direction, "in said condition after having attacked a civilian which caused his Sacred Gear to activate and allow him to defeat her."

Dohnaseek glances at you, taking in your bloodied clothes before directing his attention back to Rias, while Kalawarner takes a longer look as if assessing you for a fight, and Mittelt grins lasciviously at you and winks. You're fairly sure you should be blushing from her attention.

"So tell me," Rias continues, "Why exactly should I allow your further presence in my town if this is what you are doing?"

Dohnaseek's face looks like he'd just eaten something extremely sour for a moment before he sighs. "I would... extend the humblest apologies-" he manages to somehow say through his clenched teeth, "-on behalf of our faction for actions of the leader of our group." He takes a breath and blows it out his nose, trying to center himself. "Our mission was to covertly watch after an individual Lord Azazel believed to house a dangerous Sacred Gear that could go berserk upon activation. Raynare took the mission upon herself and decided to complete it solo and left the rest of us out of the loop."

You blink. Yuuma's name is... Raynare? More lies, it seems.

"We did not know what she had planned for him, or what would have caused her to change her plans into something that resulted in this. Rest assured, she will answer for her offences," he says with a smirk. "As for our future presence in the city..." Again with the bite-out-of-lemon look. "I would humbly ask that we be allowed to reside here until... next Wednesday, for we have a package already incoming and it would be too late to change it's destination."

Rias considers him for a long moment, before eventually sighing. "Very well. But if I hear even a rumour of Fallen Angels doing anything I don't like, I will come down on you so hard you'd wish you never fell. Take her and get out of my sight."

Dohnaseek glares at Rias before slowly nodding in acknowledgement and directing Kalawarner to take Yuu- no, it's Raynare. After Kalawarner picked Raynare up like a sack of potatoes, they all grew their black wings and flied away without further actions.

You three stood there for a moment, winding down from the tension before Rias sighs and rubs the bridge of her nose with one hand, while Koneko moves in and pats her other hand consolingly. After a moment she pats Koneko on the head and murmurs something to her which causes her to blush and step away while Rias turns to you.

"Well Iss- Hyoudou-san," she hastily corrects herself with a blush, "That was the Fallen Angels. You'll still be coming over tomorrow to actually discuss things, since it's quite too late for that now?"

"Yeah," you nod and give a thumbs up. "I'll see you tomorrow then?"

She gives a nod of her own. "See you then."

For a moment you think they'd grow their own wings and fly away, but instead a blood red circle blooms from under Rias, and Koneko steps next to her before they're whisked away.

You sigh explosively and almost collapse as everything is finally over, but you steel yourself for the trek ahead. Glancing at your clothes you grimace and hope nobody sees you.

----

You sneak inside your room slowly closing the door, wincing at the click as it closes. After a few seconds of silence you breathe a sigh of relief. Your parents were already asleep when you got home, and continue to remain that way.

You want to just fall on the bed and sleep, but you manage to dredge up the effort to take off your clothes. You lump the bloodied shirt and pants into a ball and stow them under your bed for safe keeping before falling on it with a groan.

It doesn't take long before you're asleep.

You dream of the Sun and golden cities.

[][Supernal]:
    [][Caste]:

[][Favoured]:

-----
    On today's episode, Dohnaseek gleefully throws Raynare under the bus and we learn Yuuma's real name. Since she didn't get the chance to properly introduce herself before, due to unforeseen circumstances.

I have this gut feeling that Ability choosing might be somewhat messy, any ideas if/how to make it less?
    Or should I pick some/all of them myself?

8. moonberserker

[X][Supernal]: Presence
    [X][Caste]: Performance
    [X][Caste]: Integrity
    [X][Caste]: Resistance
    [X][Caste]: Survival

[X][Favoured]: Socialize
    [X][Favoured]: Lore
    [X][Favoured]: Occult
    [X][Favoured]: Awareness
    [X][Favoured]: Brawl

I think this is ok?

9. Grinix

Grinix Making the rounds.

[X][Caste]:: Resistance - Athletics - Integrity - Presence
    • [X][Supernal]: Survival
    • [X][Favoured]: Awareness - Brawl - Dodge - Occult - Socialize

10. mrttao

mrttao Gone for Good

package being a cute little fallen nun they are going to kill to steal her sacred gear?
    Come up with 3 different archtypes, fill in the options yourself. and give a simple short write up of what kind of build it is.

Personally, I don't know enough exalted details to get involved this

11. Kieron

Do we want to be a Brawler, a Celestial/Solar Martial Artist, or a Weapon user? Or a Sorcerer?

If we want to use awesome weapons and armour as a style, we're going to need to either find them or make them ourselves.

I know there's a few Martial Arts styles but I don't know much about them except Solar Hero Style, which is pretty much raw, untaught moves, IIRC.

12. mrttao

mrttao Gone for Good

Always be the Dragon, unless you can be the Wizard, then always be the Wizard.

Kerfirou likes this.
  13. NuclearBird

NuclearBird Lustful Sacraments Muted

I think I'll follow moonberserker's lead here. He seems to know more about Exalted game mechanics than me.

[X][Caste]: Performance
    [X][Caste]: Survival

[X][Favoured]: Socialize
    [X][Favoured]: Lore

14. mrttao

mrttao Gone for Good

Can you explain a bit on the build? why are you choosing what you did?
    That lack of mechanics knowledge by most of the players is really hurting this quest. since we are getting so few votes, and those we are getting are just shooting at the dark. we might be making a horrible build and not even know it.
    I really think QM should offer a choice between a couple of archetypes and then fill in the details themselves since they actually seem to know exalted.

15. NuclearBird

NuclearBird Lustful Sacraments Muted

To be fair, that's where half the fun comes from.
    The other half is success in spite of these handicaps.
    Besides, knowing Issei's canon characterization, it's actually pretty easy to figure out an "optimal build" for him.

mrttao likes this.
  16. mrttao

mrttao Gone for Good

Fair point on the fun.
    But what do you mean by being fairly easy to make a build that matches his characterization? I am really drawing a blank here

17. moonberserker

Mainly focus on the social abilities based on that we are Zenith.
    The survival and resistance to be able to resist adverse environmental effects (like other dimensions or the dimensional gap) and attacks.

Lore and Occult because magic.
    The socialize will help with character interactions. Brawl to have some combat related abilities and awareness to prevent illusions and sneak attacks.

Kieron likes this.
  18. SwiftRosenthal

SwiftRosenthal Connoisseur.

Maybe I'm just more used to 2.5+, but I don't think we need both Presence and Performance. I would trade something for War, which would help a lot in the squad-based scenarios that dominate this setting's battles.

mrttao likes this.
  19. kenmadragon

kenmadragon I trust you know where the happy button is?

[X][Caste]: Athletics
    [X][Caste]: Lore

[X][Favoured]: Dodge
    [X][Favoured]: Melee
    [X][Favoured]: War

Honestly, Exalted can pick up charms outside their Caste/Favoured Abilities, you know.

Frankly, Presence is probably the best Supernal on the Zenith list to synergize with Issei's personality and likely growth plan. Not to mention the early entry charms are some of the best social enhancers in the game, and infinitely useful. Compared to Performance, Presence is the more versatile and applicable Ability to many situations, and will allow Issei to both interact with people in diplomatic situations, as well as cow them with terror on the battlefield. It'll also help him immediately command respect. The only thing Performance might be the better option for are that Performance lets Issei use seduction really easily, and that Prayers to the Unconquered Sun are done using Performance (and Prayer is an amazing card to have up one's sleeve because all Zeniths are considered ordained Priests of the Unconquered Sun and can thus request miracles).

Athletics is an essential Ability to have lots of because it gives access to really good movement charms for getting around places, as well as self-boosters for Strength and stuff. Not sure if it'll synergize well with Boosted Gear, but at least it'll make wire-fu battles easier, as well as dominate the battlefield. Also... Thunderbolt Attack Prana. Not much else needs to be said.

Integrity is there to ensure that no-one can mind-f*ck Issei. It'll help with defending in social interaction, as well as ensure Issei's intimacies are never easily manipulated and that he can recover from mind-screws easily.

Lore's upper level charms involve screwing with Reality. GET.

Resistance is for not-dying. Survival is also a good option, but Resistance is how you tank and wear armor and sh*t, while turning your skin into steel and stuff. Having Resistance as a Caste Ability will drastically increase Issei's survivability.

As to Favoured... Awareness is an obvious choice. It's excellent as a dip to pick up the Excellency, and the entry charms are great. Preference is to amplify hearing and touch - those are more interesting than super-eyes or super-smell/taste.

Dodge is a good choice simply because it's subtle and goddamn efficient as a back-up to have. Not to mention it's good for shoring up those places where we can't just use charms willy-nilly, or can't stunt a Parry defense against ranged attackers.

Honestly, I would prefer the Melee charms to the Brawl. Melee charms tend to have the most versatility and options, whereas Brawl is really limited in scope and capability. But, Brawl may or may not synergize well with Issei's Sacred Gear (because Boosted Gear might stack with Solar Hero charms on account of it being, well, the resting place for a dragon)... I'm conflicted. I'm gonna go with Melee because Issei can easily pick up Brawl charms later, and Melee charms can still benefit from Boosted Gear's strength enhancement. Not to mention we can eventually just create Artifact Swords or pick them up from someplace, then just store them Elsewhere when they become relevant.

Also, Melee has access to Heavenly Guardian's Defense. Brawl does not have a "perfect" defense.

Occult is the Ability that lets one deal with Spirits (Of vital importance in the DxD setting) so that Issei can not only interact with Spirits, but also command them and bring them to heel to do his bidding. Or, if he wants to, shred them to bits, and feed on their energies. If need be, Issei can always invent a charm that would not only shred and devour these spirits, but gain their powers as well, so that's always an option. It also has the charms for Initiation into Sorcery... and Sorcerous Workings are amazing.

I was debating between War and Survival for the last Favoured, but settled on War - like people have said, it's essential for dealing with the small-unit battles that plague the DxD setting. Besides, we can always pick up Survival on the side fairly easily anyways.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
  20. SwiftRosenthal

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  21. mrttao

mrttao Gone for Good

[x] kenmadragon

I like this, it is well explained and reasons. And I like the split it has between social and combat, where the focus is on social but there is still some well thought combat ability.

22. Kieron

I'll go with Kenmadragon's well-thought out reasonings as this is also sort of a good way to learn the system as well.

I'm just a little conflicted with picking melee over brawl but I'll trust the reasoning for now. I thought the Dodging charm chain was generally better than the other of the Solar Combat defense charms?

Are there any starting Charms that are a MUST HAVE for a newbie Solar? Like Harmonious Presence Meditation, Discerning Motive Technique, or Sensory Acuity Prana?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
  23. Alexander

Alexander That is not dead which can eternal lie

Technically not a loli, more like a short young girl. Which is probably older than your great-grandfather. Thus, totally legit.

24. mrttao

mrttao Gone for Good

Question, are things like brass knuckles considered melee or brawl?

25. wasprider

wasprider Experienced.

[X] moonberserker

26. Fpkfor

Fpkfor .

27. heralding_bubble

I am sorry about my silence, I should have prepared more for the update which I ended up posting the night before I had to leave for some time and didn't have access to a computer long enough to do any kind of writing. I apologize for my bad conduct.

I've added descriptions from the corebook of what the different abilities do to the Character Sheet. They're also in the quote below.

I will say that Boosted Gear's rolls when punching people will fall under Brawl.

Brawl is also the Charm tree which got some of the Solar Hero Style Charms after the abolishment of Martial Arts as an Ability.

Occult also has a capstone Charm named Emerald Induction Technique. Who knows what the reactions would be if it was used...

There are no Terrestrial/Celestial/Solar Martial Arts in 3e, there are only Martial Arts and Sidereal Martial Arts. Unfortunately there are no Sidereal Sifu to teach you Sidereal Martial arts. And the only way to learn (Creation's) Martial Arts is to delve in you past lives' memories...

28. mrttao

mrttao Gone for Good

Thanks for the clarification. In that case changing mah vote to swap out melee for brawl. everything else is like kenmadragon's plan... its well thought out plan but QM's clarification on our sacred gear falling under brawl gives brawl a priority.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  29. SwiftRosenthal

*checks rarely-used 3E pdf*

Glorious Solar Saber still exists, but it seems the Holy keyword no longer does. So... sure, let's go with the weapon we already have and leave the swording to the sword-y people.

30. kenmadragon

kenmadragon I trust you know where the happy button is?

Do note guys, that it's only punching (edit: or grappling or bottle swinging or kicking) with Boosted Gear that counts as Brawl - which is normal for Brawl anyways. This doesn't preclude one from using Melee and still benefiting from the physical/magical amplification provided by Boosted Gear.

Unless Boosted Gear only works for Brawl actions, and cannot be used to amplify the strength of a blow when using a sword or stick in Melee - which makes no sense. The Gear works by amplifying all physical/magical power, so there shouldn't be a reason why it won't also enhance Melee actions.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018