1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

ROYL (RWBY OC Quest)

Discussion in 'Questing' started by Leingod, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Leingod

Leingod Immaculate Blooming Lotus

The Emerald Forest. A testing ground for future heroes and heroines in the world of Remnant. Descending from the Beacon Cliffs into the hostile wilds below, Beacon Academy’s newest crop of students have a chance to show their educators the full extent of their skills, potential, and perhaps most importantly, their character. It is during this test that they find their partner, and from its results that they form their team, a group of four that will be together all throughout their time at Beacon. And though many teams break apart at some point after graduation, for one reason or another, others have lived and died as one, their loyalty to one another an inspiration for those of romantic minds who come to see in the forming of a team an almost sacred compact.

To those who have been influenced by these romantic notions that seep into the popular consciousness, the Emerald Forest might be fancifully imagined as the crucible in which many of Remnant’s greatest heroes have taken form, where powerful and enduring bonds are made that will one day carry them to glory… or tragedy.

But to others, it’s just another test, and a team is just a practicality if not a hindrance. Or maybe it’s somewhere in-between.

But every legend that begins in the Emerald Forest has a prologue, and this one is no different. Four young Hunters in training, brimming with potential, will meet in this forest. How did they find the path that has led them here?

Choose your first prologue. Don’t worry about the order having a drastic effect or anything; they all end in the same place, after all.

---

[] The First, Clad in Purple

"As they say: Family is not an important thing, it’s everything.”

[] The First, Clad in Blue

"You can get used to anything, really. You have to."

[] The First, Clad in White

"You know, I never saw a sunrise quite like this."

[] The First, Clad in Gray

"Shut the fuck up, you patronizing shit."

---X---

AN: If you frequent Spacebattles and/or Sufficient Velocity you might be familiar with a paired quest thing I did by this same name a while back. It was only the second quest I ever attempted, and by my own standards it was definitely the most fun for me and the most successful, especially in that it actually took a fair amount of time for me to hit a wall and lose all will and ability to keep writing. Unlike most of my other quests that go on indefinite hiatus when that happens, in this case I passed it off to some other guys, but they ended up encountering a lot of the same problems I did.

Consider this a kind of rebooted continuity; I'll be using what I (think) I've learned about writing and quests since then and hopefully not write myself into a corner again, and hopefully avoid some of the stuff that makes me cringe a bit when I go back and read it again.

If you are familiar with the previous versions, don't go in expecting everything to be the same. A lot of the basic stuff is still the same, but some differences might trip you up.

Oh, and the way this is going to work, unlike in the previous iteration where you just voted for a character at the very start and were stuck with that, in this case you'll actually be voting on who to take control of for every "Chapter," allowing you to switch around to whomever you feel like. Hopefully this'll allow me to develop the whole team and their relationships somewhat evenly.

And uh, maybe let's all keep this to ourselves and not mention it on SB or SV? Just a request I'm throwing out there, don't look into it.

2. Index: Characters & Stuff
    Leingod

Shoot, I forgot! Hold on.

3. Index: Lore & Such
    Leingod

4. Index: Some Third Thing
    Leingod

Okay, that's done.

5. lurkest

lurkest I trust you know where the happy button is?

[X] The First, Clad in Blue
    Loved the first two ROYL quests. Looking forward to this one.

Leingod likes this.
  6. Leingod

Thanks! Whew, I was starting to worry this would end up going nowhere in the worst way. But that's probably just my anxiety talking.

7. Unyouthful Steve

Unyouthful Steve Know what you're doing yet?

Leingod likes this.
  8. Hoshu

Hoshu [Verified Cynic]

Loved the first two ROYL quests. Looking forward to this one.

Was wondering when youd setup shop

Leingod likes this.
  9. Leingod

Yeah, doing that just kinda slipped my mind. I didn't realize until I was wondering why I'd gotten no replies. Also, thanks a lot!

10. mrttao

mrttao Gone for Good

[x] The First, Clad in Blue

I like this one's attitude. Also I am impressed it is not an SI or an xover but an actual original character. way to go!

Leingod likes this.
  11. Leingod

Specifically it's four original characters, actually. And thanks! For whatever reason, the limitations imposed on making OCs for RWBY (Monty laid out his own criteria for making RWBY characters, way back when) is really good at inspiring me. I guess he was right about limitations helping you be more creative.

And yes, "Blue" is... well, I actually like all four of them or I wouldn't want to write a quest about them, but they were a lot of fun to write in the previous iteration of this quest.

mrttao likes this.
  12. mrttao

mrttao Gone for Good

I had not seen the previous quest. I meant I like the attitude presented in that one single sentence you gave in this quest

Leingod likes this.
  13. red knight

red knight Well worn.

[X] The First, Clad in Purple
    Time to make our boy the arch typical Cavalier.

Leingod likes this.
  14. Axel Fones

Axel Fones Versed in the lewd.

Leingod likes this.
  15. Leingod

Alright, it's been over a day, so I'll call the vote here and start on the update.

drake_azathoth and Hoshu like this.