1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Can we get Automatic Necro Warnings?

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Bugs' started by macdjord, Aug 19, 2018.

1. macdjord

macdjord Well worn.

I just typed up a nice response to a thread, then, just as I was about to hit Post - I took a close look at the last post and noticed it was two months old. SB and SV both have an automated warning that shows up beneath the reply box on any thread that's over two weeks inactive, even though SV doesn't even have an anti-necro rule. Can we get that here?

CrazyMike, Dial, Bre Karn and 5 others like this.
  2. Blackshard

Blackshard ~

It's a reasonable suggestion, since there is a one month anti-necro rule on this forum. I wouldn't be opposed to seeing that same auto-warning here.

Ddmkm122 and macdjord like this.
  3. wayne82444

wayne82444 Experienced.

Question, do we even need the anti-necro rule still? If I remember right when it was put in place we didn't have OP alerts that let us know when the OP specifically was posting an update, so the reasoning was it got people's hopes up that the thread was being updated. Now we do though, so if people see some random person posted in the thread without an OP alert then there is no reason for them to think it is important.

Also while I don't know how doable this is, being able to select to ONLY receive OP alerts when you go to watch a thread would be nice- sometimes people want to read the updates, but not get notified every time someone posts in the thread. Just bringing it up here since I'm thinking of it, but don't feel it is distinct enough to deserve it's own thread.

4. MissileTeatime

MissileTeatime By the power of Vaporware!

That's available as a site-wide setting (under "alert preferences"); but I don't believe it's currently available as a per-thread option, which is what I think you're asking for. Which would definitely be worthy of its own thread, but I would check for an existing one before starting one.

Ddmkm122 and wayne82444 like this.
  5. CrunchySharpie

CrunchySharpie A wild Bowsette appeared!

I read most of the comments in thread because sometimes they are generally insightful and add context to parts of a story I didn't understand. And on that note, not everyone can remember when a thread was last posted in. A thread can gain momentum back if people start up a conversation again, which can bring an author back to the story. But it's hard to tell between that and just someone posting "When is this being updated?"

So yes, having a Necro alert would be handy.

Dial and Ddmkm122 like this.
  6. Biigoh

Biigoh Primordial Tanuki Moderator

7. tehelgee

tehelgee The stern gaze of justice. Administrator

You're all aware that posts have timestamps, right? You can look at that and know if it's been awhile.

The only thing the SB banner does is make it clearer. It doesn't reveal hidden information, just draws a red circle around info that's already there.

Ddmkm122 and CrossyCross like this.
  8. Horton

Horton Gone for Good

9. alethiophile

alethiophile Shadowed Philosopher Administrator

I would have to check if Xon's released it as an add-on. It likely is; he seems to have released most of his changes.

That one that's linked is only compatible with 1.4, while we have 1.5, so won't work itself. It's not Xon's, though.

10. CrossyCross

CrossyCross LADY OF LOVE

No one needs this unless they're stupid. Check your alerts. Was it the OP that necro'd? If no, then it's not an update.

If you don't have the thread on watch, then you're just asking for extra features because of laziness on a story you didn't even hour on your alerts.

Ddmkm122 and wayne82444 like this.
  11. CrunchySharpie

CrunchySharpie A wild Bowsette appeared!

Again, not everyone keeps track of how old a thread is. On top of that, my alerts are spotty at the best of times, Sometimes I miss several whole pages of discussion and there's only one alert in my inbox, sometimes it doesn't even track the OP's posts reliably, missing several if they post in quick succession.

But more on topic, this would help people who can't see very well (yo) more quickly realize that a thread is dormant. I know I've had to erase a few posts myself because I mistook 2017 for 2018. It's really easy to lose individual numbers when you're hard of vision and your preferred style is blackened (etc) color. The light grey on slightly darker grey isn't exactly easy to differentiate and it's easy to lose track of the date during post. Having a nice, bold, friendly reminder that a thread is dormant would probably cut down on the number of people that necro threads as well, which means less time mods have to spend checking these and warning necromancers.

Ddmkm122 and MissileTeatime like this.
  12. macdjord

macdjord Well worn.

There is a functional difference: the warning show above the reply box on every page, whereas the date of the last post is only visible on the last page. So it prevents you from starting to type a reply while you;re catching up only to arrive at the end and discover that the thread is dead.

What are you talking about? The purpose of the warning box is to tell you when you are about to necro a thread. It has nothing to do with alerts or the OP.

zup and Ddmkm122 like this.
  13. CrossyCross

CrossyCross LADY OF LOVE

Yeah. I got confused and mixed the issue with a different complaint.

My bad.