1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Amelia, Worm AU [Complete]

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by TanaNari, Jan 10, 2015.

Tags:
  1. dasstan

dasstan :)

If it were that easy, Ziz wouldn't have needed to hijack some fancy tinker tech to escape with her life.

2. Navrin

Navrin Experienced.

It might just be a factor of time involved. Ziz had to be able to move away really, REALLY quickly in order to fake being dead and only after she had accomplished the goal she had set for herself. Meanwhile, shifting which dimension the active "body" is in might take a month, or something.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  3. Jackercracks

Jackercracks At Two With Nature

Well they can just re-open the portal later right?

Snake/Eater, daimahou and TanaNari like this.
  4. Navrin

Navrin Experienced.

Sure. However, if that world wasn't self-sufficient odds are good that a decent percentage of the populace would be dead, with said percentage increasing the longer it takes them to reestablish the lines. Also, there's basically no way that there wouldn't be absolutely humongous social repercussions for such an action, both those on the abandoned world and those that care about those abandoned.

I hope that Pantheon has been paying attention to their Zion-genocide-indicator; they're getting perilously close to a potential berserk button for him.

5. Daunmi

Daunmi Shun the sun, night so nice

I won't start an argument here, but I will point out that people on Earth Bet consider almost anything sacrificed to kill an Endbringer to be worth it. India got glassed: No one was happy about that, but they accepted it because Smurf 'died' as well.

Everyone might just be all "Well, you didn't intend to trap the bastard with us originally, but you took the chance when it came up... Can't really blame you for it, but we'd rather it didn't happen again thanks."

Just how aware are they that they're getting close? They know there's things he doesn't like, but all indicators have him floating around the world like an idiot.

I guess they could be double checking some things with Dinah every now and then. 'Chance the world ends in X years if we make portals to other earths?'

However, in canon they worked out the Labyrinth/Scrub combo during the Echidna arc, approximately 2 years before he had his hissy fit, so it could be that entities prevent host species from getting to other worlds, and are fine with them accessing (non-blocked off) parallel dimensions?

tordg and daimahou like this.
  6. Yla

Yla Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

Wait what? Two million for a interdimensional portal? That's not a bargain, that's a steal.

7. Faraway-R

Faraway-R Getting sticky.

Sigh.

Several things.

First of all, please remove the link. The topic there is volatile. And I don't like it.
    Second of all. If you're (I'm assuming) referring to how transfer of Crimea from Ukraine to Russia is described in wildly divergent terms in Russian and European/American/Ukrainian media, please say so explicitly.
    Third of all. There is a difference between "Pantheon and CUI duke it out in the middle of the contested cities", and "Pantheon makes a retaliatory strike against the CUI troops". Because in the latter situation? Pantheon gets to dictate the location, even if CUI troops actually were in the contested cities moments before the retaliatory strike happened.

Fourth of all, and revisiting the first and second points. It's a volatile topic. I am Russian. I dislike the interpretation of events that Western media has mostly adopted. And for everyone's sakes, do drop the link. I hope you do not share that point of view.

And even if you do, this is not the thread to discuss it.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
    Volkogluk likes this.
  8. Silvercrystal

Silvercrystal That’s no moon! It’s a Moderator! Moderator

A few things,
    First; I am half Ukrainian and I dislike the whole situation. But I suppose fenatics and idiots come in all shapes and groups.
    Second; remove the link in your quote first
    Third; underlined in quote
    Forth; how about them CUI fools destroying one of their own cities and calling it a victory? Or how "the powers that be" are going to devide up the alternate earths? ... You know stuff actualy on topic.

9. Jans

Jans That which smiles.

Woah mates. Woah.

Let the rest of us get the popcorn before you really start getting into it eh?

daimahou and Student of Zelretch like this.
  10. Abcde

Abcde Making the rounds.

Situation in Ukraine is disgusting. Damage to world economy, damage to worldwide diplomacy, worse damage locally, WAR, warHAWKS, annexation, corruption, TENSION.

Don't give a flying fuck about whether it was "justified" or not. Fuck that. "Justification" is bad, means somebody had to come up with a "good reason" to do something. Don't need to justify improving the world. Have to justify making it worse.

CUI is broken. Very, very broken. Denies free will. CUI justified a city killer.

So let's set this straight: regardless of your opinion of Putin, he is not Hitler. CUI is, or would be given the opportunity. Closer to Stalin, probably, which is at least as bad.

11. ArisKatsaris

ArisKatsaris Getting sticky.

It's not the "Western media" it's every sane person all around the world. Russia invaded and annexed parts of Ukraine, just because the people of Ukraine wanted to be part of Europe. And before that, it had invaded and made protectorates out of parts of Georgia, and before that it military occupied (and still occupies) portion of Moldova.

And if we let Russian aggression be, in a couple years, it'll be yet again another nation being invaded by Russian, and Russians will again pretend that they're just defending themselves from some tiny nation like Finland, or Estonia or Belarus or whichever other one of your peaceful and harmless neighbours didn't obey the whims of your despicable Fuhrer.

12. ArisKatsaris

ArisKatsaris Getting sticky.

All neonazi groups in Europe love Putin (except in those countries that are being invaded by Putin as we speak), and he loves them right back.

The ideology of the Russian separatists in Ukraine, is anti-semetic. They used Adolf Hitler's birthday (April 20) to pronounce to the world that they're fighting against "Zionist zombies".

No, he's not Hitler, he just has a Hitleric ideology, gathers Hitlerists, anti-semites and other genocidal maniacs a his supporters and uses the same concept of "self-determination" to justify his annexation of Crimea as was used in point 1 of the Nazi Party's manifesto to justify the annexation of Sudetenland.

Lantalia likes this.
  13. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Estonia is unlikely, as is any other NATO member, as Putin isn't that crazy, and can't be sure that we'd ignore Article 5, if they invoked it. Finland, to avenge the Winter War, is possible, but could likewise set off dominoes. Russia will only invade countries that they're reasonably sure they can get away with invading.

Also, I'm pretty sure this discussion is off-topic, unless TaraNari says that Russia is acting more-or-less the same in the Ameliaverse as in RL.

Sheaman3773 likes this.
  14. Snake/Eater

Snake/Eater Myth Maker of the North

Russia is gone in the Wormverse,if there are any survivors they are in worse conditions then the setting of that game Metro 2033.it's implied that any surviving Remnants are under constant assault from parahumans like THE SLEEPER, Finland is gone thanks to the Simurgh,to even say that is your a Finn is dangerous to your health.

15. cosoco

cosoco Not too sore, are you?

*backs away from flamewar*
    I'm confused. What circumstance would cause the CUI troops to suddenly leave the cities?

Also, even ignoring their military, the CUI has half a dozen other tactics they could use, like hiring mercenaries to kidnap Khepri's father. They don't need to destroy Avalon, they just need to break their will to fight.
    I'm referring to how Western countries were proposing sanctions and the like, then more-or-less forgot about it.

Which is how I think the aftermath of a war between the CUI and Avalon would be treated - people would wouldn't like it, but nothing would happen to the CUI, and eventually the issue would blow over.
    They show up in PRT quest; they're implied to be highly xenophobic.

My personal theory about Sleeper is that Wildbow never actually decided what it was.

16. evildice

evildice (emotionally stable clown posse)

Can you cite that, or are you just making shit up?

Yeah when even Khepri declines to describe his power, you can be fairly certain the author is just messing with you.

Prince Charon, Volkogluk and TanaNari like this.
  17. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

How the hell did this conversation even come up? I am disappoint.

Also: the fact that no one really had empathy for poor Labyrinth at all. I have failed as a writer. Or all of my readers are heartless monsters. One or the other.

18. evildice

why_not_both.tiff

But seriously, she seems better off than in canon (where she's crazy and poor and pursued by Burnscar), so yeah. Not a big tear-jerker.

19. pheonix89

pheonix89 Wanna be game dev

Yeah, kidnap her father. From a city where the world itself is her and her fiancee's weapon. Great plan.

And if you pull it off? Then what? Pantheon just retrieves him with a transdimensional strike, then kills a bunch of your leaders after announcing that you made an attempt on the family of a head of state. Then they follow that up by declaring total sanctions of the CUI and that none of their tech will be going to benefit the CUI.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  20. ProdigiousThunder

ProdigiousThunder Know what you're doing yet?

I have no soul so that might explain it.

Snake/Eater, GiftofLove and TanaNari like this.
  21. Navrin

Navrin Experienced.

Clearly what they need to do is steal all of the Chinese citizens. Give them all good lives in a land where they're governed well and the CUI has no presence whatsoever. So just the leaders and those that specifically want to stay behind, all alone in an empty country. And if they decide to emigrate, they do so as refugees instead of as leaders/conquerers.

Regarding Labyrinth: I'm waiting for some kind of solution (tinkertech or not) that will effectively replace her power. There's also Doormaker who could be used and whose power could be studied. And really, things sucking for people is pretty much par for the course in Worm. That things suck for her LESS than in canon is less of an improvement than I would like, but it's still an improvement.

Prince Charon and Divabot like this.
  22. SwiftRosenthal

SwiftRosenthal Connoisseur.

The way I learned it, Russia's history of expansion is better viewed as a history of seeking buffer zones against invasion, not unlike Skitter's

Thank you TN, for forcing an end to that derail.

Silvercrystal and Divabot like this.
  23. sainen

sainen Connoisseur.

there hasn't been enough Labyrinth in incite empathy for her, as all the empathy is currently tied up with other more frequent characters.:)

24. evildice

Somehow I missed this previously.

Oh man, I would LOVE to see some poor fools try to break Amelia and Taylor's will to fight.

That was Valefor's plan, right? It didn't end up working out so well for him.

This idea is brilliant, but a proper execution might be better handled by the Parental Guidance thread over on the other forum.

Volkogluk, Lantalia, Divabot and 2 others like this.
  25. cosoco

Personally, I like this explanation:
    https://parahumans.wordpress.com/2013/10/26/speck-30-6/#comment-49147
    Not necessarily. You could attach explosives to him, and set them to go off if anyone teleports in. Pantheon would see that using Dinah, and not make an attempt.
    Mercenaries. Hired through several deniable intermediaries. Tattletale will be able to see through it, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they can prove it to the international community.
    Valefor made a mistake: he could not be reasoned with or negotiated with. If Pantheon surrendered, he wouldn't be happy unless all of them died screaming. Whereas, the CUI would be perfectly happy to sign a peace treaty after invading the country where the CUI refugees were brought assuring the safety of their citizens and getting a handful of reasonable trade concessions.

26. Snake/Eater

Snake/Eater Myth Maker of the North

I felt bad for Faultline's crew because they want to have a place in the world,but it's out of reach for them,for Labyrinth she's overwhelmed by everything her past,her future,her powers,but i feel that she's one bad day away from triggering again,she won't be a poor little girl..she will be a monster like Echidna but worst she will be a Furie of Vengeance on the world but luckily she's in good hands with Melanie and co.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
    Divabot likes this.
  27. cosoco

Her power will be to select a dimension, and create an "evil mirror" of that dimension. Those people created will believe that they're the originals.

I suggest the codename Abyss.

TanaNari and Divabot like this.
  28. the DragonBard

the DragonBard Creator of Worlds

No.
    Tartarus.

Because, unlike Abyss, Tartarus was not just a realm, it was the 'god' of said realm.
    Just like, Gaea, Uranus, and Oceanus, Tartarus was both world and god. Like the Primordials of Exalted, or the Titans of Scion.

GiftofLove, cosoco and TanaNari like this.
  29. Abcde

Abcde Making the rounds.

Because calling Putin Hitler in a thread where there is/are a Russian/s isn't going to start a flame war. Quote me in a thread where this is on-topic and we can debate (de)merits all day.

Let's just keep flaming the CUI, yeah?

Edit: okay, i don't know how this came in ten posts down, and I'm sorry it did, cuz it looks like we managed to ditch the topic earlier.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
    Volkogluk and Divabot like this.
  30. pheonix89

pheonix89 Wanna be game dev

That would require you know how Pantheon's teleport works, and relies on you winning a Tinker-off against Pantheon. Also relies on Pantheon not just grabbing the entire Imperial Family and informing the CUI that they can have their leadership back in exchange for the kidnappees.

Where do you expect to find mercs who will risk Pantheon going after them? Also, you can't use someone as leverage without admitting you have them, so deniablity isn't a thing.

And the odds of Pantheon going back on the deal the MINUTE they have the kidnappee back, releasing the evidence, and daring anyone to expect them to hold to a treaty created through hostage-taking are QUITE high, while the odds of anyone objecting are near zero.

Ryuketsu, Prince Charon and TanaNari like this.