1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Hyrule Rising (Zelda/Modern)

Discussion in 'Questing' started by gibbousmoons, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Grosstoad

Grosstoad Whimsical Paranoid Creeper

Not sure what you meant with the quote marks there.

[X] Get in the car and be on your way

2. BFldyq

BFldyq It's pronounced Be-Fled-Ick

They were to imply the word they surround is inaccurate/false/a lie, in a fairly obvious way.

3. Grosstoad

So, you are implying there will be no accidents in the steel mill regarding wearing a rubber suit?

4. BFldyq

In a way. I was implying that the "accident" or "accidents" would be deliberate.

5. gibbousmoons

gibbousmoons Well worn.

Voting will remain open for roughly ten more hours.

6. TotalAbsolutism

TotalAbsolutism Magnificent Bastard Moderator

7. BFldyq

Just realized I have not actually voted.

8. MrGazzer

MrGazzer Wabbit

[X] Throw your hands up in the air and laugh

9. StackedDeck

StackedDeck It all burns.

You know, looking over this, it's not gonna take a whole hell of a lot for Europe to explode in conflict.

Question, will random events happen in Europe (Or well, anywhere really) during the quest, or will it stay the way it is until we have some way of influencing it?

10. gibbousmoons

gibbousmoons Well worn.

[X] 1 Gawk at the enormity of it all: (theBSDude)
    [X] 6 Get in the car and be on your way: (Xilph, Grosstoad, ReinZero, BFldyq, TotalAbsolutism, Wootius)
    [X] 7 Throw your hands up in the air and laugh: (megrisvernin, Cassiemouse, MrGazzer, CptTagon, Biigoh, redaeth, StackedDeck)

The Sun beams down on you from above, seeming to reach out and warm you and hold you individually, regardless of everybody else. It's just . . .

Is it any wonder that you hold your arms out as well?

And after you realize how silly you must look, in your strange airtight clothes and your mask, standing in front of your home with your hands held up to the sky, you laugh. You laugh and you laugh, giggling and guffawing at the ridiculousness of it all but also in joy, because you're finally outside. You're free in a way that you've never been before.

Reluctantly, you lower your hands and catch your breath, and then turn back to the car.

The man holds the door open for you and you slip inside. Inside, the sedan is well cared for but undoubtedly not new. You can see a small tear along the seam in the seat's cushion, but you suppose that makes a kind of sense. It wouldn't make sense to have you paraded around in a limousine- that would counteract the effort to grow confidence. Your suit will mitigate that enough on its own, but you suppose that's not negotiable.

You think about what you'll be doing once you arrive at the steel mill.

There's a room set up for you, where you'll learn how the various machines are supposed to work and the most common problems that occur with them. After you've been trained you'll be assigned half-shifts on the various stations until the area you're most talented in becomes clear, at which point you'll be moved to a normal morning, afternoon, or evening schedule.

Your school learning will suffer for it, but you think that . . .

Huh.

That's odd.

You glance in the rear view mirror and, for a moment, see another black sedan pull up into the lot in front of your home. This time two men get out, wearing masks much like your own.

Then they're whisked out of sight as the car you're in starts to accelerate and rounds the corner.

You glance at the driver from behind your mask but without moving your head, trusting in the plastic to keep him from noticing.

It wasn't obvious at first, but there's something ever so slightly off about his facial features.

. . . Are you being kidnapped?
    [] "Am I being kidnapped?"
    [] Sit and observe. Act like nothing's wrong.
    [] Ask why the second car parked in the lot.
    [] Unlock the door and escape!

Pandemonious Ivy likes this.
  11. StackedDeck

StackedDeck It all burns.

[X] Unlock the door and escape!

If we are indeed being kidnapped, we are valuable to them, so if we try to escape but fail, we might get a slap in the face, but probably not much more than that. If we aren't being kidnapped then our dad really needs to stop assaulting people at his front gate.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  12. redaeth

redaeth Stubborn pedantrist

[X] "Am I being kidnapped?"

Best option? Best option.

Ok maybe not. Probably the escape nao is the best option. But this is the most interesting one.

13. Xilph

Xilph Well worn.

Plus remember we've supposedly got a perfect memory so just having the details get a bit fuzzy on what someone's appearance looks like is unlikely at best. Alternatively as we're Zelda and therefore total kidnap bait for powerful evil guys this is some kind of weird illusion magic and that's why things look off.

14. Cassiemouse

Cassiemouse Experienced.

15. redaeth

I think its more likely that he is a mutant and we are seeing the inhuman cast of his features instead of being fuzzy on recognizing him.

16. abyssmal_kismet

abyssmal_kismet Experienced.

Hm...most amusing option versus most practical option...it is a difficult choice. Also, with the fact that we aren't physically-inclined, the kidnapper could just grab us , although that's difficult to do while driving a vehicle.

Ah, screw it.

17. theBSDude

theBSDude Space Ace

There're a number of perfectly reasonable explanation for what's happening, but hardly any of those explanations make it dangerous to try to escape. Most of the explanations don't even make it inconvenient.

18. Grosstoad

There are many logical reasons that there might be a second car, or that the driver has a slightly different facial feature than most...

Okay, one question.

gibbousmoons
    Can it be clarified whether the driver is wearing a mask or not?

That particular line about wearing masks like your own seem to suggest that the driver of this car isn't wearing any.

There is also the observations about the car not being as well cared as Zelda initially expects it to be, though she had quickly rationalized it away.

19. gibbousmoons

gibbousmoons Well worn.

Okay. The man driving you is not wearing either one of the good oxygen masks or the cheap "filter" masks that you're sure are standard among your father's workers.

20. Xilph

Xilph Well worn.

So he's a mutant then, explain the off feeling from facial features. Given our fathers seeking dislike of them it's unlikely he'd have them as a chauffeur and possible they'd be a group that doesn't like him because he discriminates in hiring practices against them or something.

21. gibbousmoons

gibbousmoons Well worn.

"It's not discrimination if they're LITERALLY A DIFFERENT SPECIES! God man, you wouldn't hire a monkey to do a man's job- would you?"

22. Wootius

Wootius I trust you know where the happy button is?

[x] Unlock the door and escape!

I'd pay good money be driven about by a baboon trained to drive with its behind.

23. theBSDude

theBSDude Space Ace

This is the scene where Link sees Ganondorf riding off with Zelda, isn't it.

Anyway, the worst-case possibility for successful escape as now been falsified, since we know we aren't risking leaving safety to fall into the hands of actual kidnappers (It was a longshot from the start). The only danger left to be found in success is that the kidnappers are well-intentioned; for instance, our mother lives, she suspects we have mutated or will mutate, and this will put us in danger if we stay around our father; or that they will be sympathetic to us once they find out we're a mutant.

I still support attempting escape, and I also still suspect (though I didn't state earlier) that it won't work. This is probably the cue for Sheikah training.

24. gibbousmoons

gibbousmoons Well worn.

Current votes.

[] 3 "Am I being kidnapped?": (Cassiemouse, abyssmal_kismet, redaeth)
    [] 4 Unlock the door and escape!: (Xilph, theBSDude, StackedDeck, Wootius)

25. Zap Rowsdower

Zap Rowsdower Versed in the lewd.

26. Bloodshifter

Bloodshifter The Bio-Armor Lover

27. theBSDude

theBSDude Space Ace

There is literally no point in asking. Why is it winning suddenly? Don't ask. Do not ask. Regardless of what's happening, he'll just say "no," and if we are being kidnapped, it'll put him on guard.

28. redaeth

It forces interaction. We literally have no idea why this guy showed up to drive us somewhere. Information is power. Asking helps see what kind of person our probable-kidnapper is, as well as determining what he might want us for, before we reach our destination.

Even if he does lie its a point of data to take into consideration. Plus I don't fancy our chances on foot. We've never actually ran before.

29. Wootius

Wootius I trust you know where the happy button is?

Our chances on foot are exponentially better the sooner we escape. I'd rather jump now then have him speed up after tipping him off removing the option entirely.

30. theBSDude

theBSDude Space Ace

Then ask a different question. One that doesn't have an obvious response that would be exactly the same if he wasn't a kidnapper ("No, of course not. [reasurance]."). One that doesn't immediately inform him that we suspect we're in danger.

There's another car, just out of sight. If we act immediately, we have a shot at getting in sight of them. Worst case, we've delayed him early, so the pursuers have a smaller search radius.