1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Commercial Break (Worm / Slut Life) (Borderline SFW)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Jonakhensu, Apr 8, 2018.

?

Should I post 2.9 a week early or keep to the normal schedule? 2.10 will be on 11/13 regardless.

Poll closed Oct 23, 2018.
  1. Yes, post 2.9 on 10/23

13 vote(s)
    48.1%
  2. No, wait until 10/30

14 vote(s)
    51.9%
  1. Grosstoad

Grosstoad Whimsical Paranoid Creeper

The twins picking their choices feels like padding up the chapter since they are picking some choices that weren't picked up, and forcing the readers to go through almost the same sequence again.

Plus infodumps on the choices as well.

2. godzillahomer

godzillahomer Know what you're doing yet?

how does the clock timing even work

Military extending to 32 hundred hours?

16AM being midnight with 16PM being noon?

analog clocks would definitely look different

3. Tortoise

Tortoise Know what you're doing yet?

Also missing end quote.

Primary meaning of "awhile" is "for a while"; "a while" is preferable here.

remove

This seems to be missing a word, like "a good way to get their license revoked"

The "we'll" is unnecessarily repeated.

itself

5ColouredWalker likes this.
  4. Jonakhensu

Jonakhensu I trust you know where the happy button is?

Thanks, again. They should be fixed.

The twins picking their choices was a large part of displaying their characters. It was in no way intended as padding. As for feeling like the same sequence... I'm sorry, but that'll probably keep happening, since filling out forms is an integral part of the story. Writing them out also causes what I choose for people to change.

Also, I took the advice from the last time and didn't put in nearly as much concrete detail for what they chose, so I'm not sure I'd classify it as an info dump. Of course, that's just my opinion on it.

I'm using a 32-hour clock instead of a a 16-hour clock, since it's easier to keep track of things.

5. Tortoise

"it led well outside of the solar system" still has the extra "of"

TheWave and Flutters Is Shy like this.
  6. godzillahomer

still sounds ok to me, spoken language doesn't always have perfect grammar

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
    january1may, TheWave and CTCatapult like this.
  7. owrtho

owrtho Unknown Member

Probably not. Most non-euclidean geometry is not any more difficult to visually grasp than euclidean geometry. Really, they're just different methods of labeling coordinates, that might have some different implications on how objects act assuming they remain more or less consistent in regards to the coordinate system being used. The whole idea of non-euclidean geometry innately being more eldritch or difficult to map/track objects defined by such is an unfortunate result from Lovecraft's work, and while properly used, non-euclidean geometry could help enhance the alien nature of a place, what's really needed to get the effects people tend to think of when they hear "non-euclidean geometry" is actually 4+ dimensional space, which quite frankly also works to cause such outcomes if one is using euclidean geometry. Keep in mind that in this context I mean dimensions in the sense of width, depth, and height, not in the sense of alternate planes of existence (also time is not being counted as a dimension in this sense, though it could be used as one for additional confusion).

Additionally, assuming 4+ dimensions do exist, they are technically present everywhere already, and everything exists in all of such dimensions. The thing of note is not the object having those other dimensions, but rather how it moves through and/or perceives them. People only see and consciously move through 3 dimensions, but in a 3+ dimensional existence, this would just be a cross section of the full world around them, much like a square may in fact just be a cross section of a cube (just using higher dimensional shapes). Something that can freely perceive, or at least move in more than just the 3 classical dimensions could cause rather unusual results, such as the previously noted cube rotating to make the 3 dimensional cross section into a rectangle, octogon, or some other shape, or just shifting so a different part of the cube with perhaps difference colours is in the cross section.

In the case of the ribbons, the idea of them trailing off into additional dimensions is more likely the cause of being hard to track than non-euclidean geometry. Especially if the movement provides some limited ability to perceive that extra dimensional movement to the viewer, as they would presumably lack the normal perception or understanding to properly account for the enhanced perception, particularly if it only applies to the ribbons, giving them a very limited source of data to work with.

I'd actually suggest that rather than ignoring gender, they give a extra points if you pick the gender not matching your normal one. This would presumably result in changing genders on transformation which would thus be worth the extra points. Normally an argument might be made that that might be desirable of an outcome (and really that could be argued for a number of features that give extra points), but given slut life already lets people customize their body heavily, including changing their gender, it's rather likely the person will already be their preferred gender at the start, and can find other ways to swap gender at will that don't require being stuck as one gender while fighting enemies if they really want the option to toggle between the two (of course at that point they could probably go both magical boy and magical girl to end up with a magic powered form of each gender, but they'd still be stuck using the appropriate one for the given job slot).

owrtho

8. Tortoise

There are no general grammar errors in dialogue otherwise though. As for why it's not OK, "outside" is used as a preposition here. When "inside" and "outside" are used as nouns they can be followed by "of" to indicate a possessive, but prepositions can't. "The inside of the barrel was coated in rust" is correct, but "there were bricks inside the barrel" must not have additional "of".

9. edale

edale Versed in the lewd.

The main difference between "a while" and "awhile" is:

A while: Noun: "A period of time"
    Awhile: Adverb: "For a time"

You are correct that "A while" is the correct usage here. Good catch. Though you should never use a word in it's own definition.

10. owrtho

owrtho Unknown Member

Technically, he did not. "Awhile" is a separate and distinct word from the words "a" and"while" even if there is a notable overlap in meaning due to shared etymological roots, and likely development.

owrtho

11. Jonakhensu

It's dialog, so I am less concerned about strict compliance with grammatical rules.

This is, in fact, the effect I was going for.

I'll be honest, for the most part "there were bricks inside the barrel" and "there were bricks inside of the barrel" are just as likely to be used by real people in normal conversation, as far as I have seen and experienced. English is not a static language and pretending it is will only lead to aggravation on all fronts.

12. Fencer

Fencer Weaponized Randomness

ok... now you’re just taunting. She got a gun probably what she planned for but we don’t KNOW, not for certain anyway. Also I feel that I must point out, if Taylor’s magical girl form is 12 a full sized sniper rifle may prove.... I won’t say impossible, but lets go with difficult, to fire, or even hold properly. If you are planning to have her using her new magical girl powers in and out of magical girl form it may be wise to have the gun manifest at a scale size when she’s magical girl and full size when not. Just food for thought.

TheWave and Ack like this.
  13. godzillahomer

personally, I can see the rifle working at full size

magic = powers
    powers = bullshit

14. Fencer

Her hand might be too small to fit around the grip and pull the trigger. Bullshit is great but lets try not to ignore something obvious and easily fixed by just scaling the magically constructed weapon as apropriate.

15. owrtho

owrtho Unknown Member

Scaling the whole gun down may drastically reduce it's effectiveness. That said, certain relevant pieces, such as the grip and trigger could have the size adjusted without impairing the functionality of the gun the way changing the barrel and caliber of rounds would.

owrtho

16. Fencer

Ok fair, that does make a bit more sense than what I was suggesting and would limit exposition to the bare minimum if the author decides to clarify the point.

17. Da-Guru

Da-Guru Avatar of the Zany

Dude here seriously has a spreadsheet for everything.

january1may, TheWave and Jonn Wolfe like this.
  18. Jonn Wolfe

Jonn Wolfe (Verified Sarcastic) (Not a Wolf)

Ok,
    1. QA-chan is adorable.
    2. Seems that one of the twins is a futa with the puer power up.
    Things seem to be moving along nicely to me.

Are you going to be going the full year in story, or as summaries? Seems like it'll take forever get back to Bet.

Solusandra and ShadowStepper1300 like this.
  19. TheEyes

TheEyes Well worn.

I didn't get the impression of padding, but I was annoyed at the way the girls seemed to be getting exploited. I mean, there's some inherent exploitation involved in speed-growing a clone and indenturing them to a television show where they are coerced into having sex on live television, but even besides that and taking into account that Taylor was herself coerced into signing away her virginity the person shepherding the twins through the process was remarkably cavalier about enticing them with frivolities. I guess it's not terribly unrealistic, since SL has a vested interest here in convincing these girls to sign on the dotted line by any means necessary, but compounded with the scummy way Taylor was railroaded into the program herself I'm amazed that Slut Life hasn't gone bankrupt from all the lawsuits that anyone who wasn't a naive, exploitable teenager would be filing in response to all this.

Ack likes this.
  20. edale

You have no idea.
    The twins don't get a choice about signing the dotted line, but they don't mind because that's how they were programmed.

Have fun with the implications of that thought.

As for Taylor's case... SL's kinda been going out of their way to do nice things for her that they don't really have to since then. free mansion upgrade, the bribe from the scientists (and everyone's initial reactions to that should clue you in to how exceedingly rare those benefits were), the extra magical girl tool bribe (that is a MAJOR power boost to what was already a more powerful Magical Girl setup than most get [the "full catalog" of magical girl powers mentioned in 1.2]).

That said, her recruitment was definitely shady (and I believe Ross admits, to himself, that the initial contract was actually illegal), and Taylor will be learning contract law during her run as part of her training for the recruiter position (I've said a few times that Taylor should try and finagle either the removal of a punishment or two, or the addition of a free Reward, or something like that, out of SL when she figures that out... Which will probably happen on-air now that I think on it...).

ShadowStepper1300 likes this.
  21. Jonn Wolfe

That will be a shitstorm. Personally, I think she should get extra powers out of the deal. Telepathy would be my choice, but then I like OP!Taylor setups. Plus, there are a possible total of six she could get as a reward. That or a combat spaceship. Snipe Ziz from Lunar Orbit or some shit. :D

22. godzillahomer

I'd say go for 3 powers and get some perfected, less powers, but they're worth more without the draw backs

TheWave and Jonn Wolfe like this.
  23. Jonn Wolfe

True. I forgot about the perfected power. Heh, could you imagine a Perfected Alexandria Twin Package?

Ack likes this.
  24. edale

Not all powers have drawbacks. Keep in mind in most cases selected powers will be copied from some fictional (to the contestant) source, or copying a power someone from their home has. If you pick a power that does have a drawback, then you want perfected power.

As an example, say someone wants superspeed, so they ask for the powers of The Flash (DC comics).

In this case, it really depends on which Flash they ask for the powers of. I don't know enough of the lore to name which Flash it was, but one of them had a very bad end due to his power. Basically he eventually became so in tune with his speed, that he became unable to slow down and interact with humans anymore; He just ran around his city, watching people around him like statues stopping any crime he notices, becoming more of a semi-sentient force of nature than a human... Yea THAT version of the Flash's superspeed you'd want perfected, you'd be perfectly fine without perfecting most of the other version of The Flash though.

Now say you want Superman's powers. Most people would end up using all 3 power slots and still not fully copy his "base" powerset (he has a LOT of little side-powers). Someone adapt enough in his lore would use 1 powerslot for control of cosmic energy (I can't remember the specific name of it, but all superman's powers come from an innate Kryptonian ability to control a form of cosmic energy that can be described very similarly to zero-point energy), perfect that to gain the control necessary to reproduce Superman's abilities (and eliminate any potential weakness to kryptonite), and still have 2 non-perfected power slots to get something else.

... And I've really gone off on a tangent, haven't I? lol.

You can also use one power to negate the drawback of another, removing the need to perfect it. Example? Ultimate magical power, the magical forces contained within your body could rip you apart. So you also get super endurance or an immortal body, or something similar.

You can even get 2 powers that negate the drawbacks of each other, making either power stronger than it would be on it's own, agan negating the need for perfecting either of them. A good example of this would be Shoto from My Hero Academia. A fire power that causes your body to overheat if used too much, and an ice power that makes you extremely vulnerable to heat. There's a reason Endeavor is so sure Shoto can surpass him.

As a side note, anyone taking a Tinker power copied from a Worm-based universe really should perfect it to avoid the tinker trances (can't remember the term) and such.

Solusandra and ShadowStepper1300 like this.
  25. The Unicorn

The Unicorn Well worn.

Unless there was something about them in Ward those are fanon.

CTCatapult likes this.
  26. godzillahomer

would be asking for powers based on Eidolon and perfecting them be cheating?

I think if that was possible, that'd be the wishing for more wishes thing

january1may likes this.
  27. Jonakhensu

Sorry, that wasn’t the intent. Don’t worry, the gun will be used soon enough.

I hope this helps explain how Taylor can use a gun while 12… or how another magical girl could potentially use a gun while 8.

I still need to do something about keeping track of physical appearances, personalities, etc. as the cast continues to expand. I’m currently leaning more toward a google doc, rather than a spreadsheet, since I’m not dealing with stats like I was for PiM.

I’m definitely not planning on detailing all 274 days of the show, if that’s what you’re asking. I’ll be doing interesting bits and plot/character development stuff as needed.

It’ll probably still take a long time to get back to Bet, though.

I’m not sure I got the same feeling for Violetta as you did. She was trying to have the girls get as much as they can with as easy a time as possible, with the hope that they would come back later for a full, proper run.

As for railroading, it doesn’t happen that often except in areas it does. Of course, in those areas, good luck suing Slut Life. Hell, Taylor’s not even the most railroaded character I’ve come up with.

Of course, that fiasco was before Bob Ross took over that section of Slut Life’s operations...

But why would two minors need to sign the contract? Their acting guardian, Taylor, already signed the contract for them. Children can be legally bound by contracts signed by their legal guardians, after all.

Her initial magical girl ritual wasn’t actually more powerful than any other version would be… before she received the bribe. She was just given more options, rather than the one or two they usually give you.

As for that mansion upgrade… it wasn’t actually free. Taylor just wasn’t the one paying for it. Of course, she also doesn’t know about the upgrade yet, so that should be interesting.

I haven’t quite determined what Taylor will try to do once she finds out about this. It’ll depend a lot on how things are going with the show as a whole at that point.

The severity of the shitstorm really comes down to how they play off the event. Remember, half of reality TV is scripted.

Taylor sniping Ziz, while amusing, probably won’t be happening. It’s probably mess up the plans I already want to use.

28. edale

From the wiki:
    You were saying?
    The man's not lying.

And we've already met her.

*Whistles innocently.*

29. The Unicorn

The Unicorn Well worn.

The Wiki is not reliable, in this case the cite for that
    1)Doesn't actually support the claim. All the cite says is that Tinkers who enter a trans state exist, and not all do, something VERY different than what the Wiki claims.
    2)The origin of that cite is Wildbow's post on Redit, and Wildbow's posts are rather infamous. There's nothing in canon about Tinker trances.
    3)If you go read Wildbow's entire post it's clear he's talking about the fact that Tinkers don't know how the technology they make work, but that everything else will vary from Tinker to Tinker, and there's even less support for the supposed trances than the out of context quote that already doesn't support the claim in the Wiki.

In short, yes I was saying it's fanon with no canon support.

30. edale

1) From the cite:
    You were saying?
    2) WoG is still canon. Next you're gonna try telling me that Leet's Shard isn't trying to kill him.
    3) Read the entire post by Wildbow again, he's explaining how and why some Tinkers go into a fugue state, which is basically that their Shards hijack them to make their projects work.

Now the severity of the fugue state is entirely fanon. Tinkers aren't driven to near insanity if they can't Tinker for a few hours, as an example (though there IS a psychological influence from their Shard pushing them to Tinker).

That said I'm reasonably sure at one point in canon Kid Win mentions unintentionally taking apart some of his earlier inventions to make something he was working on earlier in his 'career'.