1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Cooking Thread~ Recipes & Things

Discussion in 'General' started by Biigoh, May 1, 2013.

1. Malaquez

Malaquez Here and there.

I would suggest when you add the tomatoes, since you don't want to burn the herbs and you want to infuse the flavour into the sauce.
    I'm a bit eh on garlic powder, but I see the pros here. Double the garlic-ness.

2. Biigoh

Biigoh Primordial Tanuki Moderator

Wait you grill the mince meat in a meat sauce? Not pan cook it?

I would say, use the spice mix at 2 stages.
    1) season the meat with it as it's been cooked along with the salt and pepper, to give the meat more flavor.
    2) season the sauce with it as it boils down

Sydonai likes this.
  3. Threadmarks: Corn Beef - Nitramy
    Nitramy

Nitramy Captain Quattro, YOU wa CHAR

Generally, the recipe I stick to is: two large potatoes and one large white onion for every 380g can of corned beef.
    1. Dice the potatoes
    2. Mince the onions
    3. Chop several cloves of garlic
    4. Saute the following: garlic, onions, and potatoes, in that order.
    5. Add the corned beef
    6. Cook for several minutes
    7. Season with salt and pepper to taste
    I personally tend towards larger onion pieces and sauteing the garlic until it gets crunchy enough, but this is flexible enough to try minor variations with.

4. sunandshadow

sunandshadow Impractical Fantasy Animal

Yep. Anyone else would do that in the microwave if they bothered at all.

5. aquinas

aquinas I trust you know where the happy button is?

Can confirm, 25 seconds, half a stick of butter, teaspoon of garlic powder. Then you can apply it on a whole loaf fast with a silicon brush. 2 minutes under the broiler and victory.

I do the garlic bits if I'm feeling fancy though.

6. Nitramy

Hmm, well I could use the oven toaster if I grated the garlic and wanted the brown and crunchy bits.

7. Threadmarks: Spaghetti Sauce - Rakdos92
    Rakdos92

Rakdos92 Goosh Goosh

My sauce is rather basic:

- 2 onions
    - 500 g mincemeat
    - 1 can of chopped tomatos in their own juice
    - Salt, Pepper, spices of choice
    - 2 teaspoons of Olive oil
    - Spaghetti for one person

1. Dice the onions. Set the cooker to 2 (my cooker goes like this: 0, 0.5, 1, 1.5, and so on up to 3) and heat the oil up. Grill the onions until slightly glassy.
    2. Add mince meat, spice it with salt and pepper and grill until brown-ish. Make sure to mix onions and meat up.
    3. Add tomatos, and remaining spices. Boil the sauce down a bit at low temperature
    4. Prepare Spaghetti.
    5. Enjoy meal.

1986ctcel, Biigoh and Sydonai like this.
  8. Nitramy

Pretty sure you guys would consider using sliced hot dogs as a meatball substitute and a sweeter ketchup-based sauce (sometimes with cream) for spaghetti as extra heresy.

But that's the way it's done back here in the Failippines.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  9. Biigoh

It's a lot like mine... XD

Only I include sliced mushrooms, a stick of slice celery or some chopped bell peppers on top of the finely diced mushrooms.

And I also include in there cilantro at the end for a little kick.

Nahh... simple is good at times.

1986ctcel likes this.
  10. Threadmarks: Baked Beans - Biigoh
    Biigoh

Soo... be it ever so humble...

Baked Beans from a can.

Sure, you could re-heat it up plain...

But try this. Take a single slice of bacon, cut it up into small pieces.

Take a quarter or half a small onion, and dice it up finely.

Take a few cloves of garlic, crush them, and cut them up.

Now, cook the bacon pieces, to the point where the fat is rendered out into oil. Throw in the onions and garlic, saunter them until the onions are translucent.

Add in the can of baked beans, and cook it up as you would normally... ie let the pan heat up the baked beans until they're done.

You'll find that it's much more delicious than normal baked beans.

Substitute bacon for sausage or other fatty meats if desired.

1986ctcel, Sydonai, Imabot and 2 others like this.
  11. Nitramy

Has anyone ever made chicken ramen using chicken stock instead of water?

If so, any improvements?

12. Biigoh

Isn't that kind of like the instant noodle thing? ^_^;;;

Where you dump the pack of soup stock into the water to cook the noodles with it?

13. Nitramy

What I meant was using chicken stock instead of water to make instant ramen with. Sorry if it was vague.

14. Threadmarks: Cucumber Noodles - Youtube
    Biigoh

This seems interesting... cucumber noodles. XD

15. Threadmarks: KichiKichi Omurice - Youtube
    Biigoh

This chef in Japan... he's just awesome. @_@

16. Malaquez

Malaquez Here and there.

My aunt made this once. She omitted the flavouring since the stock was already seasoned.
    It was good, but I'll stick with the flavouring.

17. Threadmarks: Udon in Stock - sunandshadow
    sunandshadow

Rather than ramen, I prefer to make udon; it's kind of similar. Anyway I make it by adding chicken Better Than Bullion right to the water I've cooked the noodles in, so it still has plenty of starch to thicken the broth. It's delicious, as long as I don't add the bullion until the noodles are mostly done. The issue is that boiling bullion or stock (sock is basically bullion + water) makes it separate a bit and you get a mess around the rim of the pot.

1986ctcel, Sydonai and Biigoh like this.
  18. Threadmarks: Fusili with Sausage and Kidneybeans - Rakdos92
    Rakdos92

Rakdos92 Goosh Goosh

A recipe of mine that I often use when I have no idea what to cook for the weekend. The amouth of incredients is enough for two to four portions, meaning it will last for at least saturday and sunday.

Fusili with Sausage and Kidneybeans

You need:
    - roughly one finger-lenght of salami
    - roughly one finger-lenght of peperonie-sausage
    - 1 can of chopped tomatoes
    - 1 can of kidney beans
    - 1 tube of tomato paste
    - 2 onions
    - 75 ml of white wine
    - Salt, Pepper
    - 2 rosemary-branches
    - 2 small dried chili peppers
    - Fusili (as much as you want)
    - Olive oil

also optional incredients
    - 1 pack of sieved tomatoes
    - 1 pack of cream or milk

Tools:
    1 pan
    1 pot
    1 knife
    1 board
    1 wood-spatula

1. Peel onions, salami, peperonie-sausage, and dice each.
    2. Heat oil in the pan, touch with spatula. If oil starts forming bubbles at the wood, you can add the onion. Grill the onions until they are lightly glassy.
    3. Now add the sausage and salami, the rosemary, and the chili peppers, grill all at middle heat (In my case it would be 1.5).
    4. Once the sausage and salami is slightly grilled, you deglaze it with the wine. Then add the tomatoes, drained beans, and tomato paste, and let it boil down a bit. Add a bit of salt and pepper for taste.
    5. In the meantime, cook the fusili to instructions. If you wish, you can drain the fusili and then let it simmer in the sauce for a bit. (I prefer to serve them seperate.)

Optional step:
    6. If the sauce is too spicy, you may add cream or milk until the taste is acceptable again. If the sauce is too thick, you may add the pack of sieved tomatoes. You can also add another fresh diced onion at Step 4 during the boiling down.
    7. If you want to reduce the acidity of the sauce, you can add teaspoons of sugar until it is to your liking. Personally I add about two to three spoons, but I got a sensitive stomach lately, so...

Enjoy with a glass of wine of your choice or don't. I drink Iced Tea to it.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
  19. Threadmarks: Singkong Goreng aka Cassava Fries - Wanara009
    wanara009

wanara009 (Soon-to-Be) Monkey God

Singkong Goreng aka Cassava Fries

Because fuck potato, amirite?

Ahem. Seriously though, this is a dish I learn to make from my grandma. Cassava is a lot more easy to grow and resilient than potato, so it's a nice plant to have in the back yard. Also, the leaf can be used to make soup and Gulai. Hell, my family always have a patch of it in every house I ever lived in.

You'll need:
    Cassava roots
    Salt (to taste)
    Garlic (to taste, but the general rule is 3 minced cloves or 2 tbs powder for every 2 cassava roots)
    Water
    Oil

To Cook
    1. Peel the cassava then cut them to size. Usually, I cut them in half long way then slice them into pieces about two to three fingers thick.
    2. Put the pieces into a pot along with the seasonings, then cover with water. From here, you can either leave it be for a while (I usually do for 2-3 hours, my grandma prefers leaving it overnight) or you move to the next step straight away.
    3. Boil until tender. That is, boil until you can pierce through the piece with a fork.
    4. Drain and dry the boiled cassava.
    5. Bring oil to heat. Deep frying is best, but normal fry is acceptable if you don't have a deep enough pan or wok.
    6. Fry the cassava pieces until golden brown. Then drain the oil and serve

Tips
    • Some street vendors in Indonesia add baking soda into the water during the soaking process. This reduce the crispiness of the final product in exchange for a soft, 'melt-in-your-mouth' texture. I also find that doing this makes the cassava really crumbly and difficult to fry in normal pan.
    • I prefer to eat this with tomato mayo (because I'm a little baby bitch), but my grandma insist on serving the fries with Kecap Sambal (Sweet Chilly Soy Sauce). You can make this by mixing thin slices of shallot and chili into a sweet soy sauce and lime juice mixture, then leave it for 30 minutes.
    EDIT: Oh, and before I forgot, cassava root has a fibrous core. My grandma and I don't usually bother removing it since she and I like chewing on them (think of it like a savoury gum), but you might want to.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
    Imabot, Biigoh and Sydonai like this.
  20. Biigoh

/me just looks at the tags and mao maos~

Imabot and Sydonai like this.
  21. Threadmarks: Tamago Kake Gohan - Wanara009
    wanara009

wanara009 (Soon-to-Be) Monkey God

Tamago Kake Gohan

For you poor students out there, let me share you a dish that helped me get through my Monday 8AM classes.

You'll Need:
    Egg (1 or 2, depending on how much rice you're planning to eat)
    Rice
    Sweet soy sauce
    Salt
    Toppings of your choice.

To Cook
    • Prepare a bowl of hot water (straight from tap is fine). Wash your egg then put it into the bowl of hot water for 60 to 90 seconds.
    • While waiting, heat up your rice in another bowl. I usually go for 1 minute in microwave set at high power. You can heat it for less time, but remember to soak the egg in hot water longer if you do.
    • Take your egg out of hot water then dry them. Discard the hot water, rinse the bowl (use hot water but no soap), then crack your egg into it.
    • Mix Sweet Soy and salt into the egg as you beat the egg with a fork. As a rule, add soy until the mixture is golden-brown. Add salt to taste. Then beat the egg until it is uniform in colour
    • Dig out a small hole in your rice, then pour the beaten egg into it and mix well. Make sure that you get all the rice coated with the egg. A sign of this is that the rice appears golden.
    • Add toppings, and eat before it gets cold.

Tips
    • Sometimes, I add chopped spring onions, half a teaspoon of fish sauce, and a few drop of sesame oil into the egg. This mix give the egg mixture a stronger aroma. Note that this is personal preference and may not be for everyone.
    • My favorite topping for this dish is meat floss and sesame seeds since they are very easy to mix in to the rice alongside the egg. However, canned fish can serve in a pinch.
    • I find that using chopsticks to stir the egg and rice is a lot easier than using fork or spoon. Figures.

Sydonai, Malaquez and Imabot like this.
  22. Threadmarks: Rice-Beef Stir Fry - Vyor
    vyor

vyor Oh that's cute

Right, here's a nice cheap meal(depending on meat price in your area): Rice-Beef Stir Fry

You need:
    Soy Sauce
    Ground Beef(or some form of steak so long as you can cut it into pieces)
    Rice
    Eggs

Vegetables(Peppers work well here)
    Vegetable oil or equivalent(not olive)
    Red Pepper Flakes, Garlic, Etc(Optional)

Step 1: Prepare water to boil as you prepare the meat by adding in soy sauce and vegetable oil. Drown the bitch in soy, add a drizzle of oil. Remember, you are flavoring three things total here: beef, rice, and vegetables.

Step 2: Begin cooking the beef, as it cooks remove as much of the fat and grease as possible. Occasionally add soy sauce to taste.

Step 3: Start cooking the rice(this can be in step 2 depending on how long your water takes to boil) and transfer your browned meat to another pan. Cook the vegetables in the pan you used for the beef, occasionally adding in small amounts of oil and sauce. Less is needed for Peppers as they are essentially flavoring in and of themselves. Once properly cooked, you'll know by them starting to wilt, add them to the beef.

Step 4: Fry the egg(s), you can hard boil them instead but in that case you should start them and the rice at the same time as the completion time should be similar. Once cooked, dice the eggs.

Step 5(optional): As the rice finishes cooking add other seasonings to the beef and vegetable mix. If you like spice and lack peppers, add red pepper flakes as an example.

Step 6: Mix it all together and serve. If you want it to look fancy, place the rice on top of the beef, eggs, and plant matter with chives or similar on top of it.

23. Threadmarks: Meat Braising/Tendering - Youtube
    Aleh

Aleh Destroyer of Faith in Humanity

So, the topic of what to do with tough cuts of meat came up in another thread, with various people suggesting a few things with marinades.

And yeah, that works. It's a valid approach. I'm more fond of key lime juice than coca-cola (which was suggested), but given that expense was the reason the topic came up at all, well, Coke... works.

Anyway, I replied with this:

So, yeah. Enjoy.

Malaquez, Biigoh, wanara009 and 3 others like this.
  24. Threadmarks: Hot milk cake - Megaolix
    Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

Guess I could put the hot milk cake recipe I use.

Ingredients:
    2 eggs
    A cup of sugar
    7/8 cups of flour
    1/8 teaspoon of salt*
    1 tablespoon of baking powder*
    1 tablespoon of butter or margarine
    1/2 cup of boiling milk

*: If you use a flour mix with salt and baking powder already in, no need for those.

Now, on a particular note, you can double up the ingredients themselves for a bigger cake. If so, it does affect some steps. I'll note it on the way.

Steps:
    1- Crack those eggs and put them in a mixer and let it beat them into foam.
    2- Once that's done, add in the sugar and let it beat for 5 minutes at least. Use that time to ready up everythign else. If you doubled the recipe, let it beat for longer. Maybe even straight up 10 minutes.
    3- Add in all the dry ingredietns in on go. Let it mix.
    4- Melt the butter or margarine inthe hot milk you should have boiled and add it to the mix. Make sure your mixer is working fast for this step.
    5- Ready your cake mold. Once it seems ready, put the mix in it and let it bake for 30 minutes at 350°F. 40-45 minutes if you doubled the ingredients. If you're not sure, use a toothpick at various places and see if it comes out clean.

Biigoh and Sydonai like this.
  25. Snake/Eater

Snake/Eater Myth Maker of the North

Does anyone know a no or low carb asian dish?

26. Biigoh

Any vegetarian dish without potatos, yams, or rice/noodles. To be honest.

Sydonai, Imabot and Snake/Eater like this.
  27. sunandshadow

there are tons of asian dishes where fish is the main ingredient, they just aren't popular in western countries so we don't often run into them in person. Plums and pears, often stewed or baked, are also popular in asian cooking and more or less carb-less. Bok Choy cabbage and mushrooms cook wonderfully together and are both more or less starch free.

28. Biigoh

Pretty much this, Snake/Eater.

I mean, I even have a dish here that fits this requirement of low carb - https://forum.questionablequesting.com/threads/cooking-thread-recipes-things.187/#post-33070

Check out the threadmarks. There are lots of dishes that would fit your requirements.

Sydonai and Snake/Eater like this.
  29. Threadmarks: Ngoh Hiang - Youtube
    Biigoh

A deep fried meat roll delicacy of south east asia, specifically singapore... there are numerous variants. But here's one from youtube.

Malaquez, Imabot and Sydonai like this.
  30. Sinner_sb

Sinner_sb Experienced.

Tamagoyaki, or the famous rolled omelet is a good option for a low carb easy to make dish. Tofu dishes are a good option depending of the dish itself. Many stir fries are also low carb, even a simple beef or chicken stir fry with bean sprouts are fairly low carb and easy to make. The last one from the top of my head is okonomiyaki, while there is some carbs in the form of flour for the dough if you use just enough to bind the cabbage it shouldn't be a issue as the dough also take eggs. Since the dish is mostly cabbage and whatever toppings you like the amount of carbs should be low, depending on your choice of toppings you can have more protein as well.

Biigoh and Sydonai like this.