1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Cooking Thread~ Recipes & Things

Discussion in 'General' started by Biigoh, May 1, 2013.

1. Threadmarks: Boris Black Bread - youtube
    da3monh0st3d

da3monh0st3d Эскапист

Can confirm it works fine.
    Delicious sourdough bread/Ржаной Хлеб

Pretty much the longest recipe I've done so far.

2. Threadmarks: Homemade malt/beer vinegar - Sinner_sb
    Sinner_sb

Sinner_sb Experienced.

Homemade malt/beer vinegar.

Here in Brazil we dont have malt vinegar, since I like salt and vinegar potato chips I decided that I wanted to try french fries with malt vinegar and salt. So I decided to make my own. After looking on the internet for recipes and having said idea bugging me for I while I went and got the materials for it. We recently got a national brand of raw unfiltered apple vinegar here, so I purchased one bottle to use as a mother for my malt vinegar. I am starting week 2 and the second mother/scooby formed, I am still two to three weeks away from it being ready to taste but I decided to post the recipe here just in case some of you want to try it out.

2 large cans around 900 ml of beer

1/2 cup of raw, unfiltered and/or organic apple cider vinegar, use the bottom part with the sediment or the mother

Directions:

Sterilize a glass or ceramic jar, pour the beer on the clean jar and still well to remove the carbonation. Add the vinegar to the flat beer, cover the mouth of the jar with a cheesecloth and secure it with a rubber band. Store in a cool and dark place, then leave it to ferment for 4 or so weeks.

Optionally you can add a shot or two of vodka to help the fermentation.I have a third can of beer to add to the vinegar later after it is done and i take some for use.

As I mentioned above I am still waiting my vinegar to finish fermenting, So far things look good and I am eager to try it out. I will post the results later regardless of how it turned out. You will be smelling the fermentation, it isn't strong but it will be noticeable around the place where you are storing the jar.

EDIT: I kind of forgot about this post, so here is the update. The vinegar tastes good, it is far less acidic than distilled white vinegar and taste wise it is quite nice.

After my first batch I shared some with my grandmother and then bottled most of it, I have a 500ml bottle stored that I use and with the leftovers in the jar and the mother I made a second batch, it is currently on its final stages of fermentation and once done I plan on adding more beer to the jar after bottling some and making more.

It is a pretty good alternative to use when I want to add something more than DWV and I don't feel like using apple cider, is also has probiotics as it is a raw, unfiltered vinegar with the only chemicals being the ones from the beer used to make it.

As a note, my research says that you can add a shot or two of vodka to your fermenting batch if you want the vinegar to have a stronger acid kick, as they will process the extra alcohol and the vodka doesn't add that much water for the amount of alcohol that is adds to the mix.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
    Venyr4434 and Biigoh like this.
  3. Threadmarks: Fried Cheese Sticks - Wanara009
    wanara009

wanara009 (Soon-to-Be) Monkey God

Fried Cheese Sticks

You want heart attack? I'll give you heart attack.

You'll Need:
    Cheese Block
    Bread Crumb
    Egg
    and seasonings of your taste (I use sesame seed, grated cheese, a pinch of chicken salt, and garlic powder)

To Cook:
    • Mix the breadcrumb and the seasonings thoroughly.
    • Cut your cheese block into thick strips. I usually do it about the width of my index finger
    • Dunk the cheese strips into beaten egg, then roll it in the bread crumb mix thoroughly.
    • Put the cheese into the freezer. Take it out before it froze solid but after the first ice form, so about 20 minutes.
    • Re-Dunk the cheese strips into beaten egg and give it another thorough roll of the Bread Crumb.
    • Back in the freezer it goes for another 20 minutes.
    • Heat oil to temperature in a wok/small pot. To check if the oil is hot enough, use a bit of bread crumb. If the crumb cook nice and fast, then it's ready.
    • Cook the strips individually for about 90 seconds or until they're golden brown, whichever comes first. Let them dry on paper towel so they're not too oily afterward.
    • Serve while hot for maximum gooey-ness. If they gone cold, just put them back in the microwave for 15-25 seconds.

Tips
    • I use cheddar for this recipe because they're easy to get and cheap. Of course, any non-soft cheese is usable.

Sydonai and Biigoh like this.
  4. Biigoh

Biigoh Primordial Tanuki Moderator

Venyr4434, Sydonai, Evillevi and 2 others like this.
  5. Threadmarks: Pizza Dough - Rakdos92
    Rakdos92

Rakdos92 Goosh Goosh

Seeing as we have a pizza topping recipe, but no pizza dough one, I decided to offer mine:

Pizza dough

You need:
    - 1/4 l water
    - 1 pinch of sugar
    - 1 tea spoon salt
    - 1 cube of fresh yeast, circa 42 g
    - 500 g flour
    Ideally all incredients are in room temperature

You can choose your own toppings for the pizza, but three incredients are fundamental in my opinion:
    - sieved tomatos
    - italian spice
    - grated cheese of your choice
    The rest of the toppings are up to you.

For tools:
    - 1 pizza pan/stone/plate/whatever
    - 1 deep bowl
    - 1 hand mixer
    - 1 one clean table
    - 1 rolling pin

Now the steps:
    1. Dissolve the yeast with the water in the bowl, add a pinch of sugar. Add 4 piled table spoons of flour and a pinch pf salt. Stir that mix until it's a smooth pulp.
    2. Let the pulp rest in the bowl covered with a cloth for roughly 30 minutes. Once the pulp has puffed a bit, you can add the rest of the flour and salt to the pulp, and knead the pulp further. Then you cover the pulp again and let it puff more for about 60 minutes.
    3. You sprinkle a bit of flour on your clean table, lay your now dough on said flour-bed, and start thoroughly kneading it. Preheat the oven to 200 °C.
    4. Now you coat your pizza plate with flour and roll the dough on it. You may now cover the pizza with incredients of your choice. Once you have covered your pizza, you shove it into the preheated oven and bake it for about 25 minutes.

And that's it. That's how simple preparing a pizza is.

da3monh0st3d, Imabot and Sydonai like this.
  6. Salbazier

Salbazier Posting while Hot

I am in need for simple recipe for radish. Any ideas?

By radish, I mean lobak .The long, white kind of radish.
    This one I think. Daikon - Wikipedia

7. wanara009

My grandma often treat white radish the same way as potato and carrot. Namely, they can be used in soups. I confess I'm not a fan of most soup dishes, so I didn't pay attention when she cooked any.

Instead, I'll link you to this:
    Soto Bandung (Bandung Beef & Daikon Soup)

Sydonai likes this.
  8. Threadmarks: Simmered Daikon - youtube
    Imabot

Imabot Connoisseur.

You can simmer it.

Or make a Hotpot.

GLH, Biigoh, Snake/Eater and 2 others like this.
  9. Salbazier

Salbazier Posting while Hot

lobak experimentation result so far:

Raw slices: It smell .. fresh-y? Not bad smelling at all. It's sweet. With some aftertaste? Crunchy. It's okay, but I think it need some seasoning.

Raw slice with salty soy sauce: err, it's not bad, but I don't think it match

Raw slice with pepper: hmm, its not bad either, better than soy sauce, but I think it still not the right complement?

Fried slices: They burnt rather quickly ... Softer/less crunchy than the raw ones. Hmm, I think I like this one. The taste of the browned parts mix rather well with the rest of it taste.

Raw slices with ketchup: Hmm, it's okay but I wonder if that's more because ketchup is the king of sauce rather than because of the lobak...

Fried slices with ketchup: ditto

Fried slices with ketchup in whole wheat bread: Hmm this is good, but how to say it ... the taste of the lobak blend well with the bread, too well perhaps, the lobak's taste kinda lost the distinctness.

Raw slices with ketchup in whole wheat bread: samey as the above? again, crunchier.

Hmm, I think something sour would works best for seasoning here, to balance that sweet taste. Maybe.

I'm considering making a making whimsical mix-fry of salmon cheek (I just found out that pre-packaged-and-cut salmon head is thing), swiss brown mushroom, plus lobak and see how it would go....
    Thanks for the recipe, but
    1) this is not so simple
    2) I don't like soto besides East Javan soto varietis and Soto Banjar (Banjarmasin, South Kalimantan that is. The best of soto that ever be).
    So I have to pass it.
    Now this one simpler. Maybe I'll try it tomorrow.

Rakdos92, Imabot, Sydonai and 2 others like this.
  10. Threadmarks: Empek-Empek - wanara009
    wanara009

Empek-Empek

Perhaps my favourite food ever. This is the dish that makes me go, "I DON'T FUCKING SHARE!"

You'll Need:
    Fish Flesh (Any is good. My grandmother most often uses mackerel and herring, but there is that one time she used catfish, milkfish, and carp).
    Tapioca
    Egg Yolk (3 for every 500g of fish)*
    Ice water (150-200 ml per 500g of fish)*
    Salt (2 tbs/500g of fish)*
    Sugar (1 tbs/500g of fish)*
    Vegetable oil (3 tbs/500g of fish)*
    Powdered garlic (2 tbs/500g of fish)*

*I usually go by the seat of my pants and adjust the amount of ingredients to fine tune it to my taste when cooking. These amounts are just indicators for my starting point.

To Cook:
    • Grind and blend all the ingredient (except the tapioca) to make a batter. The best way to do this is to just use a food processor (or a blender, if you're really want to ghetto it).
    • Take the fish batter and then mix it thoroughly with tapioca like you're making bread. The trick here is a fish batter-to-tapioca ratio of 1:3. The best way to do this is by hand in fist-sized batches, since the resulting dough is quite tough and can ruin mixers (I learnt this the hard way).
    • Shape the dough into smaller shapes. I usually chose either fat triangle or cigar-shape.
    • Boil the empek-empek. This is both to set its shape and to cook it. You'll know they're ready once they float up to the surface.
    • From here, you can eat it straight away with condiment of your choosing, or you can deep fry or grill it for more flavour.
    • You can also freeze it and store if for a later time.

Tips:
    • Being a dough-based dish, Empek-Empek is quite versatile. Want some stuffing? Boiled egg and shrimps are my favourite. Want to make it into a noodle? You can, though be mindful that the dough can be rather sticky. Patty for hamburger or cold-cuts for sandwich? Sure as shootin'.
    • Don't like fish? No problem. The basic of this recipe is the meat batter-tapioca dough (which is also the basis for other dish like bakso and siomay), so there's a lot of leeway when it comes to the meat used.

11. Threadmarks: Golden Tears cheese cake - Gaemnomut
    Gaemnomut

Gaemnomut Well worn.

Sounds like a good, quick, and filling meal. I think I'll try that some time soon. Although I doubt I'll be able to get Tapioca, perhaps I can substitute it with something.

Anyway, I'll contribute a recipy as well. It's an easy cake to make, and tastes great. Light and fluffy, and not too sweet.

"Golden Tears" cheese cake:
    200g flour
    100g sugar
    70g butter
    1 egg
    1 teaspoon of baking powder

500g curd
    150g sugar (+a few table spoons extra for the top layer)
    1 small pack of vanilla sugar
    1 pack of vanilla pudding powder
    3-5 eggs
    250ml milk
    250ml cream
    150ml flavourless oil

Time: about 2h, then a few hours to let it rest.

Take about 200g flour, 100g sugar, 70g butter, 1 egg, and 1 teaspoon ofbaking powder and knead it into a nice dough. Shape it into a thin layer (~5mm) and flatten it out on the base of a baking tin and up the sides.

Then take 500g curd and mix it well until it has a nice, smooth consistency. Add 150g sugar, 1 small pack of vanilla sugar, 1 pack of vanilla pudding powder, 1 egg, 2-4 eggyolks, 250ml milk, 250ml cream, and 150ml flavourless oil. Mix well once more until it all blends together nicely. It should be quite fluid when you are done.

Pour it onto the dough bowl in the baking tin and put it into a heated oven (175°C) for about 60-80 minutes depending on how flat your baking tin is.

Once it is done take the remaining eggwhites from earlier and whisk them up into a nice foam with about one and a half table spoons of powdered sugar per eggwhite (or more if you like it sweeter). Spread that out on the top of the cake and put it back in the oven for another ten minutes.

Take it out and let it rest. If you're lucky some golden drops of sugar water will form on top as it cools, which looks really nice. That's where the name comes from, they sometimes look like tears.
    If not, the cake still tastes delicious.

Biigoh, Sydonai, Imabot and 1 other person like this.
  12. Biigoh

Venyr4434, Evillevi and Salbazier like this.
  13. Threadmarks: Spring Rolls - a2znut
    a2znut

a2znut Needs more handholding. [Forever DM]

Re-posting for schpariel

Ingredients:

Oil
    Double Happiness Spring Roll Sheets - 1 Pack
    Cabbages - 2 Heads
    Carrot - 1 Head
    Longkou Rice Vermicelli - 3 Bags (1200g)
    Hot Water - 2 Cups or so?
    Knorr Chicken Powder - 20g
    Salt - 10g
    Sugar - 20g

Step 1: Prep

Take out all the vermicelli from bag, soak in cold water for about 20 minutes.
    During this time, cut the cabbage into thin thin slices, throwing out the hard centre or keeping it for something else later, not going to cover that here.
    Next shred the carrot into strips too, best with that special peeler.
    By now, the vermicelli should be soft, if not, let it soak for another 10 minutes before draining.

Step 2: Cook

Split your prepared stuff in half, it's too much to go at in one try.
    Oil the wok, now while it's popping, dump in half of the half of the cabbage you split off, let it cook a bit with some moving around. Now take vermicelli you partitioned off and start cutting it into small portions with a pair of scissors. Basically you grab a handful, hold it over the wok, and bits off so that they fall down into it. Put in a cup of hot water after you put the rest of the cabbage in, stir fry some more. Do some flips with it, put in the sugar, chicken powder, and salt, stir fry some more until the cabbage is soft then put in the carrots, mix it and then take out.

Repeat with the other half.

Step 3: ???

You have stuffing, and you have spring roll sheets. (Should be just enough to finish the 1 Pack of Spring Roll Sheets (100+ pieces))

Step 4: Profit

Deep fry your resultant handiwork until golden brown, now enjoy.

14. Threadmarks: Roasted Chicken - Biigoh
    Biigoh

soooo... am making something for hotpot at werk tomorrow...

Basically Mee Goreng with roasted chicken. Alas, my mee goreng is pretty much the instant stuff as I'm too damn lazy.

The roasted chicken however...

1 pack of chicken thighs - boneless and skinless
    - translates to aproximately 1 lb of chicken
    1 lemon, juiced
    3 cloves of garlic, chopped up finely
    1/4 cup of olive oil
    1 teaspoon of paprika
    1/4 teaspoon of tumeric
    1 teaspoon of chinese 5 spice
    1 red onion, quartered

Step 1a - combine EVERYTHING in a large bowl or ziplop bag, mix well to ensure everything is coated.
    Step 1b - cover and refrigerate it for 1 to 12 hours.

Step 2a - preheat oven desu to 425f.
    Step 2b - add some olive oil to a baking pan
    Step 2c - move chicken + onion from marinate and onto baking pan

Step 3 - Cook the chicken for 30 - 40 minutes minutes

Step 4 - Take the meat out and let it rest for a few minutes before slicing it up.

You can serve it with sliced cucumbers, tomatos, some yogurt... or incomporate it with something else like fried noodles~

Sydonai, Malaquez, Imabot and 5 others like this.
  15. Imabot

Imabot Connoisseur.

Tanuki is making a hot pot...this is beautiful.

Dreadis, Biigoh and Evillevi like this.
  16. Threadmarks: Roasted Brussel Sprouts and Radishes - Biigoh
    Biigoh

Some more roasted veggies for people where it is cold.

Today, I'm making something nice and simple. Roasted brussel sprouts and radishes.

What you basically need are
    - 1 bunch radishes, trimmed and halved
    - 1 lb brussel sprouts, trimmed and halved
    - 2 tablespoon olive oil
    - salt
    - fresh pepper

1 - wash the veggies, trim and halve them.
    2 - preheat the oven to 425°.
    3 - on large baking pan/sheet, put said veggies, drizzle with oil, season with salt & pepper, toss about
    4 - roast for approximately 25-30 minutes.
    4b - make sure the bottom of the brussel sprouts are caramelize with delicious golden color before declaring them done.
    5 - take out of oven and serve immediately, season if you wish with some lemon juice.

17. Threadmarks: Quick n' Dirty Chicken Alfredo - Riddle78
    Riddle78

Riddle78 Know what you're doing yet?

Well,this thread looks nifty. Some people eat to live. I think we all live to eat.

So,here's my contribution.

Quick n' Dirty Chicken Alfredo

Ingredients
    Per four people you plan to feed,you need the following...

-One can of condensed cream of mushroom,cream of chicken,or cream of celery soup.
    Note that these are just the soups I've tried with this recipe; Feel free to experiment. The can should very easily fit in your hand.
    -One decent-sized boneless,skinless chicken breast.
    I never measure my meat for this recipe. I just grab a package and go.
    -As much long pasta as you damn well please.
    I never measure my pasta; Sue me.
    -Half a cup of grated Parmesan cheese.
    If you have some other form of Parmesan cheese handy,do what you can to get it as tiny as possible.
    -Half a cup of 2% milk.
    This is the only milk I've ever had; Dunno if anything else will work.
    -Pepper to taste.
    Between the soup and the cheese,the sauce is gonna be salty enough; Throw in some pepper to help even it out.
    -Chicken seasonings of choice.
    I use Montreal chicken spice,and Worcestershire sauce. Spice it up your way.
    -Optionally,some broccoli.
    This is a very white dish; Throw in some colour!

Sauce
    The sauce is where most of the work comes from. You'll be mixing this sucker in a bowl.

1) Open your can of soup,and dump it in the bowl.
    2) Add the cheese,then the milk; Dry ingredients first is always a good idea.
    3) Add pepper to taste; You'll need quite a bit to even out the salt content.
    4) Mix the sauce until it's smooth,and all the ingredients are incorporated. Set it aside.

The pasta will take longer to cook than the chicken or broccoli. Put the water on when you start mixing the sauce. When the water starts boiling,throw in some salt,then the pasta,then turn the heat down to about medium.

If you're cooking broccoli,start on that when you start the chicken,assuming it's a stovetop burner steamer.

Chicken
    Cook the chicken right,or you're in for a bad time.

1) Cut the chicken into bite-sized chunks.
    2) Heat up your skillet,and oil it.
    3) Drop the chicken into the skillet,and season it.
    4) Cook your chicken thoroughly. If it's undercooked,you'll be having a very unpleasant time in the near future.
    5) Once cooked,turn the heat down to minimum,then add the sauce. Mix until the chicken is well and thoroughly covered.
    6) Simmer until the sauce is heated through and the cheese melted.

Final Steps

1) By now,your pasta should be ready; Dump the pot into the colander and drain your pasta.
    2) Either return the pasta to the pot,or dump it into a serving dish,depending on your preference. Either way,melt some butter or margarine into it to keep the noodles from sticking.
    -If you cooked broccoli,add it to the pasta.
    3) Dump the skillet into a serving dish,or into the pasta,depending on your preference. If you mix them now,be sure to mix it all thoroughly to ensure maximum sauce impregnation and meat and broccoli distribution.
    4) Serve and enjoy.

It's simpler than it looks,trust me. It'll also smell like ass while the sauce is on the burner. But it's delicious,trust me. Also,even if you don't need to feed a whole family,you can still cook this on a Sunday,and eat for almost the entire week.

Malaquez, Sydonai, Gaemnomut and 2 others like this.
  18. Anon̦̦

Anon̦̦ [Verified Cute]

How do you make a Tanuki hotpot Biigoh?

bryanfran36 likes this.
  19. Threadmarks: Tanuki Udon - Youtube
    Biigoh

wasprider, Imabot, Salbazier and 2 others like this.
  20. Threadmarks: The Eldritch Porridge - Kinglugia
    kinglugia

kinglugia A Randy Avian

I call the following "The Eldritch Porridge"

Ingredients:
    Polished Wheat Grains
    - I didn't count how much, but half a small packet seems to be enough for me. This depends on how big your pot is.
    1 small packet of Anchovies, cleaned
    1 small packet of salted veggies (any)
    2 cubes of chicken / anchovies stock cube thingies

- Have no idea what you called them, so stock cube it is!
    Enough water to fill an entire cooking pot
    (Optional) Additional seasonings to taste

To prepare:
    1) Soak the salted veggies in filtered water for half an hour, before rinsing it.
    2) Wash the wheat grains, anchovies, etc.
    3) Put everything in an electric cooking pot, preferably one of those with its interior made of clay.
    4) Put it to boil for however an hour, then simmer it for however many hours you feel like. Personally, I did it overnight.
    5) Serve. Ideally, it can last you the whole day. If it's too salty, add some boiled water into the resulting goop.

Sydonai likes this.
  21. Rakdos92

Rakdos92 Goosh Goosh

Well, Babish had a rather lacking fried rice dish this time, so I would like to know how a real fried rice is made.

22. kinglugia

kinglugia A Randy Avian

Recipe's in the first page, within the first 10-ish posts.

23. Biigoh

The wonder of fried rice is that there is no "Real" or "Right" way of doing it... but there are ways to make it poorly.

https://www.kawalingpinoy.com/yang-chow-fried-rice/

Snake/Eater likes this.
  24. Threadmarks: Simple brownies - Sinner_sb
    Sinner_sb

Sinner_sb Experienced.

Simple brownies

Recently I felt a massive craving for brownies, however if you check my earlier posts I also have a tight budget and can't afford to use fancy ingredients or to purchase chocolate bars just for making a dessert. So I checked the internet and found a recipe that was cheap, easy to make and doesn't require that many ingredients. The result is a tasty brownie that is fairly cheap.

Ingredients:

2 cups of sweetened chocolate powder, here we have several brands of this chocolate powder mixed with sugar that we use to make chocolate milk, I used that, if you use just regular chocolate or cacao powder you will need to add more sugar.

1 cup of plain flour

1 cup of sugar

200 grams of butter or margarine

4 eggs.

Yes this few ingredients, I added peanuts to give some extra crunch so you can add nuts if you so desire, but the base recipe is just those five.

Directions:

Dump everything on a bowl or stand mixed and mix until well combined or the sugar is dissolved. After it is all mixed you can add optional stuff as nuts, chocolate chips or whatever else your stomach craves or desires.

Butter and flour a 20x20 cm baking dish, around 10x10 inches, with at least three inches walls. Pour in the batter and bake in a preheated oven at medium to medium high for somewhere around 25 to 40 min, check often after 25 minutes. Let it cool before removing from the tray, if you wish let it cool before enjoying as well. Serve with ice cream or on its own.

It gives a decent sized final product that you can cut into whatever sized portions that you like. I liked the final result of mine and plan on making more later this week, might send some to my grandparents to try.

I hope that you enjoy this recipe, I did.

kinglugia, Imabot, Biigoh and 2 others like this.
  25. Threadmarks: Brownie Chilli Sauce - Gaemnomut
    Gaemnomut

Gaemnomut Well worn.

What I've come to really enjoy with brownies like these is to add a bit of chilly. Not into the brownies themselves, but into a chocolate glaze on top.
    Break apart a few dried chillies into a bit of melted butter and then melt some dark chocolate in it. (I'd say about 1 part butter, 3 or 4 parts chocolate) Then just pour it over the top and let it cool. It's pretty good and since the chilly isn't in everything you get a really nice combination of sweet and sweet/hot bits.

Biigoh likes this.
  26. Threadmarks: Special Glace - Aleh
    Aleh

Aleh Destroyer of Faith in Humanity

I suspect you mean "chili," not chilly.

Anyway, recipes!

I've been experimenting with a rather interesting glaze mix, which I typically make in any of a set of half-cup mixing cups that Mom got a few years ago. To make it, you take some honey and fill the bottom of the cup (about two tablespoons). You then add a similar amount of soy sauce, stirring until everything's mixed and the honey no longer separates. Then add enough fruit vinegar (I use pomegranate vinegar, although apple cider vinegar works fine as well and is considerably cheaper and easier to get; I just think it doesn't have as good a flavor).

These days, I mostly use it on my seared and stir-fried chicken. I'll write up that recipe later, when I have something less of a headache.

27. Gaemnomut

Gaemnomut Well worn.

Ah, right. I knew something looked wrong about that :)

That chicken glaze sounds interesting. MIght try it some time soon.

Biigoh likes this.
  28. Aleh

It's not a chicken glaze so much as a glaze in general -- it's pretty good on salmon, too, for instance. My chicken is simply the recipe I most use it on these days... mostly 'cause chicken breasts are filling for their caloric value and I'm trying to lose weight.

29. Threadmarks: Chicken Breast - Aleh
    Aleh

Okay. My recipe for chicken breast.

This is what I mostly use that glaze for these days -- it's relatively simple, low-stress, and honestly tasty for what it is (which is pretty much chunks of chicken breast with a glaze/sauce).

What you'll need:

• One container of the glaze I mention above (meaning honey, soy sauce, and fruit vinegar -- as noted, I generally use pomegranate).
    • One whole boneless, skinless chicken breast.
    • Vegetable or canola oil.
    • A knife, preferably a santoku knife, chef's knife, or butcher's knife. A suitably sharp, non-serrated steak knife will do if you don't have a full knife set or similar.
    • A wooden stirring implement. Wooden spoons work, but I prefer to use a spatula stirrer.
    • A non-nonstick frying pan. I prefer to use a cast-iron pan for this, but the recipe does involve what many consider a massive no-no for cast iron implements (tossing in an acidic sauce/glaze). There's a minor risk of damaging the seasoning as a result, and so you may prefer to use an aluminum or steel frying pan instead. Just realize that this will reduce the shock and heat retention of the pan, and may thus alter cooking times. Either way, do not use a nonstick pan -- this recipe involves high heat, and will damage or destroy them.
    • A clean chopping board.
    • Either tongs or a nearby sink to repeatedly wash your hands with.
    • A kitchen timer.
    • A stove. As usual for skillet recipes, gas works best; do not try this with a glasstop unless you're willing to spend an inordinate amount of time cleaning.
    • If you have to share the kitchen with a militant vegetarian who is perfectly willing to make you miserable over the place smelling like chicken, you'll need a fume-hood, too.
    Put some oil on the pan and turn the heat to high. Spread the oil over the bottom of the pan (either via that method or any of the assorted, similar ones you may have learned). When the oil starts to steam or smoke, slap the chicken breast on there and push it into the pan as best you can with the stirrer. Set a timer for three minutes and let it sear, possibly moving the pan around every now and then to keep the oil in contact with the bottom of the breast.

When the timer goes off, flip the chicken breast and repeat, giving the other side a good three minute sear.

Turn the heat off. Depending on your stove, you may want to transfer the pan to another burner. Place the breast (which should be mostly raw in the middle between two well-seared sides) on the chopping board. For obvious reasons, you will need to use your stirrer to actually lift the thing. Let it rest for a minute or so.

Cut it roughly in half, reheat the skillet (turning the heat off is to keep the oil from catching fire, which it will if you don't turn the heat off) and sear the edges you just cut for another three minutes. You may need or want to add more oil.

Rinse and repeat (albeit not literally -- there should be no water in the pan), cutting and searing the cut edges, until you have strips of chicken that are roughly between half an inch to an inch thick and seared on three-four sides.

Then cut the strips into chunks roughly as thick as they are wide. Think of them as irregular cubes -- but the exact shape isn't important. They should still be mostly raw in the middle. Reheat the pan again and toss the bunch in there, stirring until they've had a chance to absorb most of the gunk and oil left on the bottom of the pan.

Then toss in the glaze and keep stirring. Remember, this should all be on high heat. Make sure every bit of every piece of the chicken gets nicely coated, and continue stirring as the glaze cooks down. By the time the glaze has thickened enough that the bubbles are slow to pop (I don't really know how to properly explain this -- but the glaze should have a syrupy consistency), and the chicken has acquired a darkened red coating (with pomegranate vinegar -- the color will obviously depend on the type of vinegar you use), the chunks of chicken should be cooked through.

Remove said chunks, maybe drizzle a bit of the remaining glaze from the pan on top of them, and serve.

Edit: Embarrassingly stupid typo.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  30. Threadmarks: Pork Fat Rise Lard Rice - youtube
    kinglugia

kinglugia A Randy Avian