1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

General chat thread

Discussion in 'General' started by Nanimani, Dec 27, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Maven

Maven Coldblooded Cuddler

Anyone know the name of that logical fallacy where immaterial concepts are misconstrued as concrete? I can neither find nor remember the word for some reason.

2. Valor

Valor Versed in the lewd.

False premise?

3. Maven

Valor

Nope. Only one word to it, had something to do with metaphysics. I do remember it wasn't one found in typical common parlance. Good try though.

4. 24caratcoal

24caratcoal Plotbunny Rancher

So, a bit of idle amusement on my part brings up a question. How many people here would learn another (very simple) language in order to read something written in it?

5. Maven

On the one hand, I've completely forgotten the reason I know how to read and write the Elder Futhark. On the other, I still have yet to stop procrastinating my Italian Studies, which in hindsight pisses me off.

6. 24caratcoal

Don’t feel bad, I learned Dutch as a kid (which really got me interested in languages) and push come to shove I can still read and speak it in very halting and broken sentnces as I try to remember the words. My accent is also terrible apparently. I imagine my accent in Dutch sounds much like the stereotypical russian accent for english, except much less badass.

Maven likes this.
  7. Maven

Can someone tell me how you locate a specific court case off the internet?

8. Lydia

Lydia Versed in the lewd.

Just google it, most stuff can be found by using the right words and google. It is a little bit like magic :D

9. molemole

molemole Versed in the lewd.

Googling's good, but if you're in college and the college has a law school, then you may want to try LexisNexis. You don't need to be part of the law school as long as there are computers in that department building that you can use.

10. Maven

...It turns out... I was using the wrong surname.

Please excuse me while I vent my rage.

24caratcoal and molemole like this.
  11. kahna1234

kahna1234 So many lovely little darlings to play with~!

As this is the general chat thread, just gona ask here: Who is Mr Zoat and why does he/she require a banner at the top of the forum?

12. BlackHadou

BlackHadou A Resting Bui

Writer of With This Ring, a... Young Justice, I think, fanfiction Self Insert that migrated here from SV (where he migrated from SB) and brought a particularly large fanbase with him. Said fanbase is to a degree regarded as trouble makers, so the banner was a pre-emptive measure, since QQ has a rule that SB and SV do not.

ShadowStepper1300 and Dakkaface like this.
  13. Dakkaface

Dakkaface Magical Defender of Justice

To add to BlackHadou's information, the reason he ran into trouble and self-exiled himself from SV is political in nature - the banner was warning his fairly large incoming fanbase that bitching about/debating the affair is not going to be tolerated for long on QQ.

ShadowStepper1300 and kingkiller like this.
  14. Maven

So, a thing. Broken fingers don't really hurt that much. The books lied.

For all adventurous tourists though (cuz literally no one would be as dumb as my parents and actually immigrate here) if you end up in an African country and want to try a job stay away from those where such things as shifting building materials is paradoxically done by hand. Its hell on the pinkies.

15. Fenrir

Fenrir Bites The Dust!

16. DeathShade

DeathShade Dol Amroth Comes

Does anyone know the length of time you have to wait between editing posts?
    I'm trying to edit details into the reserved posts of my quest, and I just had the entire Achievement list I typed out rejected.

17. magic9mushroom

magic9mushroom BEST END.

It occurs to me that there are very few know-it-all protags in fiction that actually suffer the consequences of being a know-it-all.

You have know-it-all sidekicks like Hermione, and know-it-all protags that bend the story around them (i.e. Sues), but very few know-it-all protags that actually get shit on for it.

kinglugia and 24caratcoal like this.
  18. Hyp3rB14d3

Hyp3rB14d3 Violence!

It happened to Joseph Joestar a few times.

Edit: Although that was very much the exception to the rule.

24caratcoal likes this.
  19. Aaron Fox

Aaron Fox That Crazy/Not-Crazy Guy

Well, a Thomas and Friends youtuber posted his latest episode and its ending is something of a doozy. Victor pulled a magnificent one given the implications he did towards the end. Like, oh, the SCP Foundation is a thing in his version of Thomas the Tank Engine...

20. GhostHaxStomp

GhostHaxStomp I trust you know where the happy button is?

I received an email (spam) alerting me to a PM here, from a user that doesn’t exist. Clicking the link to go to pm just shows an error. The email address is from QQ, so did the pm get deleted immediately or something?

Could I get pointed at the right thread for help on this?

21. Haplessly Incompetent

Haplessly Incompetent Looks cognizant(?)

Here you go.

red knight and GhostHaxStomp like this.
  22. red knight

red knight Well worn.

It's fine some bits spammed some users Mods sorted it out.

23. Aaron Fox

Aaron Fox That Crazy/Not-Crazy Guy

I reported mine actually...

24. red knight

red knight Well worn.

I did to but mine got deleted so mods did there job.

Aaron Fox likes this.
  25. Gorgrath177

Gorgrath177 Professional supervillain

So. Who here hates those abominations against god called star thistles? Used to live on a farm filled with the fuckers.[​IMG]

26. 24caratcoal

Ah, thistles, they shall forever hold a special place in my ass, where it still occasionally hurts when I remember falling but first down onto one. Prickly little bastards.

Edit: Milk thistle specifically, for me.

27. kinglugia

kinglugia A Randy Avian

Get milked by a milk thistle, spraying dem milk on dem milking milk thistle thirsty for some milk.

:V

Priapus likes this.
  28. 24caratcoal

Ever get to the point where you’re just so mentally exhausted by the end of your weekend that your brain just goes numb. Reformatted two computers, learned a fair bit about how to set up my own personal cloud storage, how VPNs work, why you really can’t just set up your own internet completely independent of some sort of service provider and topped it off by researching cyrptocurrency mining, trading and taxation. My brain hates me right now because it’s my sunday and I’ve got to get up early for work tomorrow. To top it all off, I really didn’t do anything particularly fun or relaxing.

Priapus and wasprider like this.
  29. Priapus

Priapus Engorged member

Absofuckinlutely. I've been spending all weekend, and much of my free time on the preceding days on this one assignment, involving, among other things, writing and debugging recursive programs that manipulate numbers up to a googol, which have bugs that only manifest for large numbers, in a language I started writing code for this week. Then having to straight-up guess which algorithms will be efficient enough to actually run on these numbers, but simple enough to implement.

I may yet manage some free time before I try out for a new job first thing on monday, but I shan't hold my breath.

24caratcoal likes this.
  30. 24caratcoal

Best of luck!