1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Belenus

Belenus Versed in the lewd.

Guys, chill with the name guessing.

CTrees likes this.
  2. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

Why?

3. Belenus

Cause Zoat has asked us to.

You're trying to guess his RL name.

KenNM and t-dugong like this.
  4. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

There really isn't any significant difference between them. Where do you feel lost? It might be easier to just ask some questions about stuff you're a bit vague on, because it might just be that WTR is freaking huge.

Jaik likes this.
  5. Bramble Thorn

Ok, you are officially a liar and an idiot.

6. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

Ehhhhhhh.... It seems like a stupid idea. What does knowing it gain anybody? And privacy concerns on the internet are... better to be safe rather than sorry.

Chaoswind likes this.
  7. King of Frost

King of Frost Wishing I was somewhere colder no doubt.

I don't actually care that much about finding his name, but Zoat's last name is a legitimate mystery in the story.

In-universe it's so hard to guess that they were quickly able to pick out Paul as his first name within days of his arrival, but are still unable to get his last name despite it being over a year now.

8. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

It is unlikely that this case will go to court. so probably not.
    Let's assume that they're a little further on with the uploading in US 16.
    Depends exactly what you mean. The Red Lantern ones people were talking about are in the episode Fool's Canon. Some of the others are linked to in the contents post.
    It's not happening.

Let me think about that one.
    Thank you, corrected.

9. Mr Zoat

What is this 'ball park' of which you speak? Is it some strange colonial leisure space?
    It's basically just spelling that changed.
    No.
    It's basically me, a Conservative Counsellor and a Canadian sound and lighting engineer.

10. Belenus

I was basing my response on previous posts in this thread. Being wrong isn't quite the same as being a liar.

11. Bramble Thorn

So, which one is your father, the Conservative Councillor or the Canadian sound and lighting engineer? And the other one is your mother?
    (Or do your parents not count on account of being old fundies and thus Invisible on the Internet?)

But he never said that in this thread in any of the previous posts. Quite the opposite.

12. ultima333

ultima333 Happy Sunflower Time Administrator

Warnings apply to everyone. I said to drop that topic or take it elsewhere.

Have a 2 week threadban, because that topic does not belong here.

13. Valint

Valint I trust you know where the happy button is?

Yeah, except that's not what Paul is claiming. Pro hac vice means getting the court's permission to act as an attorney for a specific matter, and generally (at least in the jurisdictions I'm familiar with) requires a local attorney to associate with you, sign documents, and make sure you're following local rules.

The only way this makes sense is on a "Because fuck you, that's why" might-makes-right level.

On the improbability scale, the idea that Earth-16's laws actually allow for every random member of every (regardless of color) Lantern Corps to act as a lawyer in every jurisdiction on Earth is somewhere far north of freeze rays and super-strength.

9adam4 and Vaermina like this.
  14. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

You're misunderstanding the reasoning.

It's not "there's a bunch of stuff and it takes a long time to upload it" so much as "we got laws passed that make it illegal to upload X stuff because it sets a monetary bar for successfully suing/defending and would put a significant portion of the law industry out of a job". (Seriously, like 70% of an various law jobs can be summed up as manually searching through prior case history.)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    Sceptic likes this.
  15. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

You guys just aren't Britishing hard enough.

Obviously his name is Ser Paul Zoatinton III Esq. Of her royal highness' fanfiction service.

Now, if memory serves with this H-dial appearance....there is a serial killer out there trying to hunt it down. Huh...it occurs that Mr Hamill's canon fate is....fucking sad and depressing.

ChestBurster, BR549, Ardy and 2 others like this.
  16. Mr Zoat

I'm going to say that some time in the seventies there was an AI or a Mad Lawyer or something that just did it.
    Gosh, no. My parents are more active on social media that I am. But neither of them share my first and last name.

17. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

Is it to the point that they're able to count how many laws they've got? Because that would actually be hugely significant.

ChestBurster and Obliviated fan like this.
  18. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

You mean you don't come from a long line of Pauls on both sides?!?

ChestBurster and RichardWhereat like this.
  19. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

That runs into the same problem of "having to go to most law firms and court houses in the country and manually scan the books" that Orange Lantern has, only with the addition of whoever or whatever it was having to do so with 70s technology.

It would also just switch the problem from "books" to "magnetic tape reels".

And of course it would mean Paul would have a 46 year case history gap.

Honestly, it would probably have made more sense story and character wise for Paul to just throw money at a high priced New York law firm.

20. topin89

topin89 Virgin Centrist

?
    I feel like I missing something. US Laws is not digitalized? As I understand it, better leave any thought on the matter because politics and subsequent incivility, but infodump is OK here.
    And even if not, is it not in free libraries? Power ring should read from paper. Yes, new LexPaper is protected, but anything printed years prior should not.

ChestBurster and RichardWhereat like this.
  21. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

This isn't going to get to be a court case, you are always getting pedantic about this crap when everyone knows Might makes right and realpolitik are more important than case law. The illustres of the orange lantern core wants to play lawyer to a case that will never reach court? who cares? certainly NOT the us government, if this case had a lot of public awareness you would have a leg to stand, but it doesn't and it won't have it because the US government isn't going to try to be cute with the guys that have a sentient planet the size of mars flying around the solar system; a planet that was MUCH closer than the moon and was attacking the golden cage when the angels caged earth meaning EVERYONE SAW IT.

If Paul wants to play lawyer for a random woman that assaulted two crooks that is his prerogative and no one in the US government is going to CARE. Remember people AREN'T equal under the eyes of the law and NEVER will be as long as humans are the ones handling it.

ChestBurster, Ardy and RichardWhereat like this.
  22. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Some is some isn't.

Heck, there are some places that won't even give full copies of their yearly law book to anyone.

topin89 likes this.
  23. Nervaqus987

Nervaqus987 Well worn.

I'm only barely paying attention to this particular point, but uh.....couldn't a Power Ring just scan the books in addition to the internet?

24. Mr Zoat

Yes, but data volume for data volume books are more time consuming.

25. topin89

topin89 Virgin Centrist

More confusion, more questions.

You can't get some particular law book and that means you can't get particular law at all? Or you can get it somewhere else?

26. Yog

Yog Know what you're doing yet?

You had established that he could scan superman's body from several continents away, and could do "magical hacking" via scanning servers and then creating their virtual representations on a molecular level. At this point, not scanning books is better explained by someone creating magic preventing law books from being scanned or something. Possibly an extension of bureaucracy-erasing ritual Constantine uses? Something that would prevent laws from being literally erased from the books (or altered in them)?

27. Mr Zoat

The scan of Kal-El's ear actually covered only a relatively small area of his body and was done while the SI was consumed by a desire to reduce his own guilt. The law stuff is toned down by both the vast volumes of dead tree, fuzzy definition and his assumption that he's not actually going to need it.

28. rthomas2

rthomas2 _

Oh, right: forgot who I was speaking to for a minute.

Indeed, sadly we Yankees only play a bastardized form of cricket. Maybe I should have said “within the pitch”?

ChestBurster and Bramble Thorn like this.
  29. Mr Zoat

My name is not 'McCandle'. Though the Scotts are a fine people -when sober- I am not to be counted amongst them.

30. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

MickCandle?

You could be Irish?

ChestBurster and rthomas2 like this.