1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

You know... At this point I kind of hope Paul doesn't find the dial.

Because the idea that out of everything he has done it's a tiny inanimate object that ends up stymieing him is hilarious.

2. Deadring

Deadring Screee!

Artifacts from beyond time are pretty damaging to squishy humans like us. This is a good story mang.

3. King of Frost

King of Frost Wishing I was somewhere colder no doubt.

Holy fuck does this Master guy sound nasty.

Anyway, so the dials give you the tools you need, it's not just random powers. That's interesting.

4. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Wait, did that incinerator thing actually happen in the comics? Seems a bit extreme for the 60s.

Relyt33 and Ardy like this.
  5. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

The orderly walks back inside what appears to be a glass-fronted...

Boy... Mr Reed is all kinds of effed up because of the Dial, isn't he. Robin might be right, it's not worth using, merely keeping out of the hands of those who would abuse it...

6. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

Hamill: "It's not hilarious from where I'm standing!"

7. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

That's just because all the plus's haven't really had time to set in yet.

8. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

So what did Mr Hamill want to do if it always gives an ability useful in a given situation?
    Edit: also, does anyone know why Victoria Grant is crazy?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  9. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Zoat might be going for the "transformations are manifestations of subconscious desires" explanation that Superboy and the Ravers went with.

In which case they'd be helpful powers because they're ultimately the powers you want.

The Ravers for example didn't take it as a good sign when Hero turned into the healing super Caduceus the Healer because they saw that as "Oh, Hero thinks we're going to get our asses kicked, nice vote of confidence man, really confidence building."

10. Chojin Patriarch

Maybe it responds to the user's will: if you focus on the need for something (say, a way to beat a villain,) the Dial will pick up on it and provide a suitable form.
    Just randomly fiddling with the thing? Well, that's how you get shenanigans like gender-swapping or evil twins...

Navi-Hank and Relyt33 like this.
  11. Stsword

To be fair Robbie needed to be in two places at the same time, so he got what he wanted.

It's just that "evil biologist" was a free gift with purchase.

12. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

[​IMG]
    Thank you, corrected.

13. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Plus, it's probably not exactly what you want, it just gets something kinda close. If it wasn't, half the time you'd probably just dial Superman or someone else similarly flying-brick-y.

14. Chojin Patriarch

Yeah... Instead you get super-humans drawn from the fever dream logic of 90's adventure game puzzle designers.
    I mean, if you used the Dial to produce a super-human capable of extinguishing a house fire, you're more likely to get Mister Snowcone, dispenser of shaved ice treats, than Tidal Tom, king of the ocean waves.
    Sure, they can both control water, but the former is gonna take some clever tricks to be useful :p

15. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

Holy shit!

16. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

I don’t know... depending on where the house is a giant snow machine dropping snowballs on a house or a fire hose shooting syrup/ice would be a lot more useful than controlling water ... especially if it’s only sea/salt water. You don’t get an aqua man is useless situation if your water source is actually a car.
    Also: crazy idea that wouldn’t be out of place in a bad 90’s adventure game: can aqua man talk to birds if he thinks of them as “air fish”?

17. dogbertcarroll

dogbertcarroll Random lurker

I would suggest that fixing Reed, probably via telepathy and ring, is something that should be prioritized to insure no one breaks him out to make him The Master again.

18. Chojin Patriarch

Yup. Like Devil Fruits in One Piece, the usefulness of a Dial persona depends on the user, not the powers it possesses... Though, to bring it back to the story, I doubt Mr Hamill would agree.

19. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Probably doesn’t work like that, since the transformations were probably mostly one time only and the dial can probably turn anyone into someone like the Master if they input SPLIT. You might make him think he’s the master permanently but he might not be capable of the same kind of mad science due to lacking powers/super-intelligence. You’d also likely have to deal with the Wizard personality at some point if you’re talking about using brainwashing to make him the Master.

Navi-Hank and Relyt33 like this.
  20. Twilight666

Twilight666 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Ok this is weird:
    All these updates are at the top of the page :);):p:D:p

Also Mr Zoat, all updates in QQ should be GMT -5, GMT -6 and GMT -7 instead of -5 GMT etc. (Also the last update in SV is like that but that one is locked)

21. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

The 1960s in comics did include a lot of horrifying implications, they just had more limits in what they could show or what words they could use. I had thought that the first appearance of the Master was in the 1980s, but that art doesn't suggest the '80s to me.

22. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Wait, hold on. Can you just put any word that you want into the dial?

I thought it only had the letters "H" "E" "R" and "O", and so you can basically only do "HERO" or "HORROR" unless you find some clever and obscure word.

I mean, if you can put in anything, that opens up some rather scary possibilities. Like, for instance, "GOD".

23. Chojin Patriarch

There are variations. Robbie Reed's Dial (and thus the one Mr Hamill used) has a full spread of letters, across ten digits (presumably including H, E, R, O, V, I, L, A, N, S, P and T.)
    Other versions such as the 80's series' Dials (from which the Master's scene above comes) have only H-E-R-O. Mr Zoat appears to be using the 80's idea of them as creations of the Wizard persona. No word on the aspects introduced in the modern series from the *** **, where the Dials stole powers from an alternate universe's super-beings..

24. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

The original dial (that Mr Hamill had I think) would technically enable that though due to eventually turning out to be in a time loop and not having an origin, it might be powerful enough to subtly stop people from doing that, or just do something like kill you and teleport you to a god (like Hades) (or just make you into a minor god ), but the later versions created by the wizard and the master only had the letters H,E,R, and O on them, so you could write HORROR or HERO or HER or HOE or ROE... but not just anything.

25. AidanMorgan

AidanMorgan Essentially Overworked

At least he's doing the OSHA compliant thing and clearly marking his deathtraps.
    Zoat tags the updates with whatever time zone Paul's in at the time, or GMT if he's not on Earth.

Edit: Nevermind I see what you meant now

26. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    DC Comics Presents #44, April 1982. Actually Comic Code approved.

27. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

If you go with this idea, they could turn you into GOD-man from that one image on tv tropes/ the series of comic -strips since again, alternate universe, though who knows.

28. Stsword

Here's a picture of Hero Cruz, as Isis, manhandling Granny Goodness during the Genesis event
    [​IMG].

So yeah.

29. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

Gotta say, wasn't expecting Robbie to be so....broken, when they found him. Also wasn't expecting him to be so old, and I have no idea why I thought that. Figured, "Oh, another JL recruit."

I could use about 18 more hours of sleep.

30. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

Well let's compile the list. Do only English words count? What about acronyms?

Fear me for I am OREO the cookie master!

Dial HO HO HO and get all the powers of Santa.

ROO for super hopping powers.

OH for the power of sudden insights.