1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. King of Frost

King of Frost Wishing I was somewhere colder no doubt.

I'm somewhat reminded of a series, I can't for the life of me remember what that series actually was, but in it an oppressed group decides that killing their oppressors is the wrong thing to do. This pissed a lot of people on the Internet off, particularly communities on tumblr and reddit I believe.

There's something extremely satisfying about an oppressed group taking revenge on their oppressors, but I'm thankful Grayven is remaining neutral so far.

I seriously can't remember what that series was, I think it was drawn, so a cartoon or comic maybe, but I'm really drawing a blank. This is going to bother me for a while. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

2. SirKaid

SirKaid Know what you're doing yet?

Any animated series aimed primarily at children? ATLA did it, Steven Universe did it, and so on. Really, it'd be harder to find one that said that killing the oppressing class was acceptable at all, much less one that actually went through with it.

Drode, protoss16, Gazing Eye and 2 others like this.
  3. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Sort of came up in A Song of Fire and Ice, where the origin story of the Faceless Men has them mercy kill a load of slaves rather than assassinate their cruel owners.

4. King of Frost

King of Frost Wishing I was somewhere colder no doubt.

It was Steven Universe, thank you. I remembered a lot of people getting angry that Bismuth's "shatter the diamonds" plan was rejected by Rose and Steven, but I couldn't remember the series or the characters involved.

5. néocorvinus

néocorvinus Versed in the lewd.

Then eliminating the sorcerers of Valyria starting the Doom, wiping the heart of Essosi civilization and pluging Essos into a hundred years of civil war and barbarian invasion

6. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Karmang manipulating sand.

Well that could be very bad.

Karmang summoned the Sand Superman in the comics.

I think it unlikely that the Sand Superman storyline played out, if nothing else, a comment that Superman sacrificed half his power level would have come up, but that doesn't mean that Karmang can't summon Quarrm spirits...

Ardy and CTrees like this.
  7. divoratore1

divoratore1 Not too sore, are you?

Hm?

infinityDivided likes this.
  8. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

"Oh, that's the kind of story EVERYONE should know. How the Reds mighty wizards learned magic from a white, don't you think?"

9. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

I don't think any of the sand manipulation was him?

10. SirKaid

SirKaid Know what you're doing yet?

In fairness, shattering is both unnecessary (a bubbled Gem is in stasis, unaware of the passage of time and unable to act) and barbaric (Gem fragments remain conscious and in constant torment forever) so there are good reasons why they rejected that solution.

I mean I wouldn't cry for them if it happened, but I wouldn't advocate for it either.

11. Threadmarks: Field Trip (part 8)
    Mr Zoat

8th January
    18:40 GMT

"How..? Dare you?"

"Hm."

Karmang -odd name for a Martian- sprouts four spindly arms from his sides and makes a series of rapid, intricate gestures. Blue light wafts around his fingertips for a moment, then leaps for the projection. Which… Suddenly isn't a projection any longer.

"Two degree-" Another gesture, this one involving clenched fingers and a tugging motion. "-shielding. Adequate-" The floors shifts, enveloping the Primate. "-in most-" Two arms retract and he makes a circling gesture, blue runes appearing all over the Primate's rocky prison. "-circumstances. But by now you should have realised that you were dealing with something unusual."

The shocked Primate stills, then shudders as a section of runes flares. Karmang bows his head slightly, while the machinery fetishist next to him sort of rumbles.

"I wrote the spells you just attempted. Even now, can you not accept that your preconceptions are wrong?"

"You are not Karmang."

"Ah." He turns his attention to me. "What is your name, alien?"

"I am Grayven."

"Do you know much of Martian history?"

I shake my head, then realise that he's probably not familiar with humanoid body language. "Not a great deal."

"And magic. Do you know about magic?"

"My people's Elite have powerful innate magical abilities. Studying magic is a little less common, but we have more than a few sorcerers around the place."

"And what brought you here?"

"I'm living on Earth at the moment. Its arcane energy networks are remarkably strong, but severely underutilised. This was supposed to be the first step in forming a collegial research and knowledge-sharing group."

"I heartily approve." He looks around the entry hall for a moment, taking in the frescos on the walls before returning his attention to me. "That was why I established the first monastery-."

"You lie. You are not Karmang the Good."

Karmang the arguably-not-good retracts his two remaining bonus arms and extends his natural right arm to point to a scene on one wall. "Yes." The scene shows a six-armed Red Martian leading a group of other Reds across a desert. "This is how they depict me now. Because it is completely unthinkable to this generation that any could learn magic who are not Red."

The mechanical martian's left arm shapeshifts into some sort of gun-.

"No, don't do that. I think that maintaining physical proof of their idiocy will be helpful to future generations."

"Blasphemer!"

"I wasn't trying to found a religion." He goes back to looking at me. "Do you know what the Guardians did to our people?"

"Broadly. Though I can't say that I disapprove. If the Burners had ever reached Earth, my favourite planet would have-."

He raises his right hand. "I know. And I agree. Even now, I find it difficult to recapture how thinking like that felt. The incessant drive to destroy-."

"Wait." I frown. "You were there? Martians… Aren't immortal."

And if they had been, I suspect that the Guardians would have edited that too, just in case.

"There are ways to extend one's life with magic, if one has the correct frame of mind. It requires me to spend periods of time in torpor, but I believe it has been worth it."

"And… I got the impression that the Guardians scrubbed the memories of the martians they worked on. If you retained yours, shouldn't you be an apocalyptic rage monster?"

"It's hard, remembering what it was like back then. It was a long time ago, and I was a very different man. I'm not sure exactly what happened. I remember… Our alpha and his warriors being struck down, and… I think I remember trying to hide. Or at least trying to threaten without attacking. But they pacified me and took me aboard their ship. I remember the… Green glowing automata who served the short… Guardians."

"How do you remember?"

"Magic. It was a long time afterwards that I learned to systematise even a tiny fraction of what I could feel about the universe surrounding me. But a tiny… Shift, a simple protective sigil was enough to shield my memories from their machines. Not my body, and their bonds still bound certain parts of my mind, but once they left I alone remembered how things had been."

He walks over to another image, the six-armed Red gesturing to a garden while his students listen at his feet.

"Having had millennia to consider the issue, and to compare what we are now with what we were, I have to say that I think this is better. And while I'd rather they hadn't wrecked our planet to do it, it wasn't anything we wouldn't have eventually done ourselves."

"I'm a little surprised to hear the leader of a terrorist-." I glance at L'atroma. "Sorry, murderist group being so calm about things."

"With great age comes… Perspective. Some things are worth being angry about. Others aren't." He gently touches the fresco. "I took my first students from amongst Ma'aleca'andra's Red population, believing that the Guardians had altered them least."

"I'm sorry, I thought that you said that you approved-?"

"Of clarity of thought, yes. Not of being afraid of fire or isolation. I wanted to learn how it had been done, to see if I could learn to modify it, to alter us further. And in case you've ever thought that simply being more like our forebears was what allowed the Reds to become dominant, no. It was me." He turns away from the mural and back towards the Primate. "By teaching Reds from across the planet the most elementary principles of magic, it reinforced the instinctual fear and respect we had been programmed with. And because I took Red students from all across Ma'aleca'andra and returned them home once their studies had reached a satisfactory level, I created a worldwide network of sorcerers who knew one another and who were on good terms with one another."

Hah! "You created their planetary government?"

"Its predecessor, yes. And then I underwent my first torpor, and when I emerged… Colourism which put me in the underclass, and not a jot of progress toward the goal I had set them." He walks back towards the Primate. "But I was prepared to be patient. I sought volunteers from the White population, and experimented further. I've learned a great deal about the magics of Mars, but I never came close to a solution to my main problem. So many years… Only for my agents to one day hear a telepathic broadcast which explained the whole thing and demonstrated the solution."

"I was on that mission."

"I don't remember seeing you. And I studied that missive in extreme detail."

"I was evacuated before the confrontation with the Burner could occur. Nitrogen narcosis and a drained power ring. Trust me, I'm in the full version." He doesn't respond. "But surely my name came up in relation to the fix?"

"I don't recall seeing any alien faces. But as you pointed out, young M'gann wasn't broadcasting everything she experienced. I would like to meet her at some point. Could you arrange th-?"

The rock holding the Primate explodes!

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  12. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Two arms retract and he makes a circling gesture, blue runes appearing all over the Primate's rocky prison.

He looks around the entry hall for a moment, taking in the frescos on the walls before returning his attention to me.
    ('Frieze' is apparently a decorative border and 'fresco' are the wall paintings)

He walks over to another image, the six-armed Red gesturing to a garden while his students listen at his feet.

He gently touches the fresco.

And there's the C. S. Lewis homage. Lovely Silver Age DC stuff.

Hah! "You created their planetary government?"

Well, that went well enough. Looks like Grayven had enough skill points in Diplomacy to avoid the tough boss fight. Now he's facing the alternate fight :D

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  13. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

14. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

Wait... did Karmang invent the Martian magical tradition through uninformed experimentation?

15. Mr Zoat

Yes, over a very long period of time. He's not the sole creator; his acolytes and their students added to the total amount of knowledge, but he is the primary source.

Sargon, Bramble Thorn, Bgbg and 18 others like this.
  16. Ace Dreamer

Ace Dreamer Questioning The Nature of our Realities

I'm impressed by your work on WTR, in general, and interested in where Field Trip is going.

Should be 'thought'?

AtomicGeneral25, nobodez and Ardy like this.
  17. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Basically, he's Orochimaru of the martians.

Sargon, Bramble Thorn, Bgbg and 9 others like this.
  18. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

A creepy old pervert who likes dressing up in womens bodies and creeping on young teen boys?

Bgbg, anechoic, BBJimmy and 5 others like this.
  19. Jacen

Jacen I am of no consequence.

That’s a limited,if not inaccurate, view of that character.

Sargon, Bgbg, Obliviated fan and 10 others like this.
  20. Mr Zoat

Karmang is not a creepy old pervert who likes dressing up in women's bodies and creeping on young teen boys.

Sargon, Bramble Thorn, Bgbg and 12 others like this.
  21. CTrees

CTrees Chasing the ring

Oh my word, I have not thought about Ghastly's Ghastly Comic in years. Forgot it even existed.

russellmopar likes this.
  22. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

So he doesn't give them hickeys and incite them to run away with him?

23. Mr Zoat

The Alan Moores will haunt your dreams.

And I've got a whole new sympathy for him getting thrown off his host for something far tamer than a lot of the other stuff he put in the comic.

No.

24. Phrexia Unbound

Phrexia Unbound Oooh...that's good.

Shame really.

Welp, there's always the Eros Timeline!

25. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

That's the Doylist answer, I was using a Watsonian one... although the name 'Hino Rei' is actually related to Mars.

26. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Every time I heard the word Primate I keep thinking "Giant gorilla".

27. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

And that's why magic is a...difficult literary concept. It explains everything and nothing.

"How did you do the impossible thing?!?!"

"Magic"

"Yes, but how?!"

"Magic"

Of course, you can do the same by simply not explaining a technological solution either.

28. Tyrantviewer

Tyrantviewer lord of all I survey

Wait, Karmang is saying that he used magic to sheild his mind and prevent the guardians from erasing everything, so that means that the Burning martians could use magic!

That is very frightning but it also makes sense how he could start a magical tradition that way, its like how various mages on earth started their carreer uncovering old books or records that showed them how to get started, but instead Karmang was the record, and used his new more stable mind to capitalize on what magic he knew from his more primitive days...

I love it, and I am so looking forward towards learning more of the specifics of Martian magic, so far it looks like it expands on their natural abilities, that plant was use to find its ancestral memory, basically psychometry, possibly expanding on martian mental senses, Karmang seems to fight by telekinetically moving sand and earth enhanced with magic, This supports my Idea of Hyperclan using magic to build off natural martian powers for their amazing feats- that mechanical one for example seems to have enhanced his shapeshifting to either replicate or integrate with tech. It is nice to see a magic system that seems so integrated and suited for that culture.

29. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

No, he shifts form between various male bodies while expressing interest in a female adolescent prodigy.

Obliviated fan and anechoic like this.
  30. 9adam4

9adam4 No emotion, only "peace"

If you were to poll 1000 random U.S. churches, more than 995 of them would recognize that Jesus was Middle Eastern olive-skinned man and have no problem with that.

The offhand comparison of Christians to blatant racists was uncalled for.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
    Belenus and hyperspacewizard like this.