1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Phrexia Unbound

Phrexia Unbound Oooh...that's good.

The rest of this arc will probably be him stepping in to fix the Martians, because screaming at the Reds telepathically from the sidelines clearly didn't fucking work.

2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

The word in the Greek version was tektōn. While that's usually translated as 'carpenter', it could refer to a variety of occupations such as mason, sculptor or architect. As the eldest son, he might also have been the business manager for the family firm.
    To be fair to them, that wasn't why the Guardians did it. If anything, they would have put White Martians in charge because they were the least likely to revert.

3. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

While I agree with Karmang's goals, the conduct of his Hyperclan doesn't inspire much trust in his methods.

I think, even if he succeeds, that he will than have to deal with bloodthirsty whites, using oppression as a justification for everything.

4. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

I believe the Romans had records of crucifying him although they probably crucified alot of would be messiah's

Simonbob and Navi-Hank like this.
  5. Ph34r_n0_3V1L

Ph34r_n0_3V1L The Best Monkey

It's accepted by historical scholars that Jesus existed and founded Christianity because of mentions in the works of Flavius Josephus and Tacitus. His physicsl appearance is never mentioned.

6. Mr Zoat

Flavius Josephus was born in 37 BC, so unless he was writing about Jesus when he was an infant, he wasn't describing events he personally witnessed.

Edit: As pointed out below, that should be AD, not BC. Also, Year 0 is when Jesus is supposed to have died, not when he was born. Really, this post was not well thought out. Still, the essential idea that he couldn't have been there at the time is relevant.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
    Bramble Thorn, Bgbg, Drode and 8 others like this.
  7. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

... Even if (if!) Karmang is honest, he doesn't seem reasonable. Getting a very MoS! Zod vibe.

Navi-Hank likes this.
  8. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

I don't know, he seemed pretty reasonable. He was ruthless, certainly, but he had a well thought out and achievable plan. That's more than you can say about most people in DC who want to take over a world.

9. nick012000

nick012000 Gone for Good

IIRC current scholarly opinion is that Jesus was born in 7 BC, and he died at the age of 33 (thus, 26 AD). Also, you've got the birthday of Flavius Josephus wrong: he was born in 37 AD, not 37 BC - about 10 years after Jesus died.

10. Mr Zoat

Sorry, yes, that was what I meant.

11. Khettien

Khettien Perpetually confused

I hate to stereotype, but...damn if that doesn't sound Jewish.

Obliviated fan, iamnuff, Ardy and 2 others like this.
  12. 9adam4

9adam4 No emotion, only "peace"

Hardly. As with Alexander or Cleopatra, the lineage of Jesus is well-known, being an important component of the claims made about him. It's not "guesswork" to say what race an emperor of the Qin dynasty would be, nor a Davidic Jew.

But regardless of the truth of it, if you acknowledge that most Christian churches have no issue with Jesus being olive-skinned, than the parallel with the reds insisting Karmang must be red is specious, yes?

13. CTrees

CTrees Chasing the ring

Do we know what's happening with Karmang on the Paragon side? Because Lantern Mother of Mercy fixing the planet sure could make for an interesting interaction. I don't remember if the Paragon Hyperclan stuff would have interrupted this or not...

14. Mr Zoat

To the best of my knowledge, yes. I'm not exactly a regular churchgoer.
    The point was to show that religious figures can get portrayed in a wide variety of ways throughout the history of a religion when what they actually look like isn't known. Karmang is depicted in more or less the same way across modern Mars, but that isn't how he looks.
    SI side the true history of Mars is known only to M'gann, J'onn and a very small number of Reds, and there isn't a fix for the Guardian programming.

15. Tzeentch

Tzeentch I trust you know where the happy button is?

Given that Karmang has proclaimed his intention to "Reclaim what he GAVE them" and that that it's quite possible for a skilled enough practitioner to destroy, or perhaps even steal the knowledge and powers of other magi, I think I can make one or two guesses as to where the more unpleasant epithet will come from...

Bramble Thorn and Obliviated fan like this.
  16. 9adam4

Makes perfect sense, thank you. I read more into it than you intended.

17. Mr Zoat

He was referring to their authority and their sense of supremacy. He isn't actually all that good at telepathy compared to some. Oh, he'll take any kuru pendants they've got lying around, but he wouldn't go through the bother of soul stealing every single one.
    Not a problem. I certainly don't think that Christians are racist for assuming that Jesus probably looked like an average man from the era and place than he supposedly came from.

And it occurs to me that if -like Karmang- he turned up outside a monastery somewhere and was actually black or Asian, his most likely response to someone kicking off about it would be to gently chide them for thinking that it mattered.

18. 9adam4

I have a copy of the issue of Asimov's in which the Christ returns in the form of a female alien resembling a praying mantis. Remarkable story.

19. Tzeentch

This sort of denial isn't going to be constant, is it? I mean, I can understand the stubbornness of holding on to the belief systems and reality tunnels you were raised and conditioned to adhere to, but as Magicians are supposed to be seekers of Truth, they can't keep their heads in the Red Sand forever.

I mean, sooner or later ,overtime it's GOT to register with the Reds and Greens that the founder of their mystic paradigm is not only back, kicking the protean asses of every major practitioner Mars has, he's white.

20. Mr Zoat

Oh, clearly there's a surprisingly powerful sorcerer out there who is White, and apparently he calls himself Karmang and the Hyperclan appear to be taking his orders, but the idea that he's that Karmang is too out there to be accepted.

21. 9adam4

I daresay a large portion of Christians even today would never accept that a black man was actually Jesus, not matter what miracles he performed.

Ardy likes this.
  22. Tzeentch

I get THAT, but how long can such stubbornness hold out?

Eventually a Red Martian Magi is likely either going to perform a necromantic rite in an attempt to conjure the shade of "Karmang The Good" to deal with the heretic, or invoke one of the Martian Gods for answers, only for said answers to be what they DEFINITELY did not want to hear.

23. Mr Zoat

You'd be amazed.
    If they actually summoned a Martian God they'd have bigger things to worry about. The Burning left something of a mark.

Oh, and when Grayven finds out about this, he's going to piss himself laughing.

24. Ph34r_n0_3V1L

Ph34r_n0_3V1L The Best Monkey

The universally accepted reference that Josephus makes is to the death by stoning of "the brother of Jesus, who was called Christ, whose name was James" (aka James the Just) in ~62 AD. A major Romano-Jewish historian who was a friend and advisor of the Roman Emperor isn't going to use that description unless Jesus was real.

25. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

He may seem reasonable when things are going his way. I'm waiting to see how he will react to suggestions like, maybe not disassemble the entire planetgov.
    What you're seeing here is affable. Rational. A T-800 can be those things, but try to suggest maybe not terminating it's target... ?

Navi-Hank likes this.
  26. Tzeentch

Even "L'Zoril", known more commonly as Dream of The Endless?
    Rather looking forward to either Paul or Grayven meeting Forager, to be honest.

...Speaking of the New Gods, given the differences from YJ canon, (Big Barda and Scott Free living on Earth, Granny Goodness possibly not running a media empire, etc), I wonder if Paul is somehow responsible for a good majority of them, due to him being the rogue, chaotic element.

Time Travel IS a thing after all, and shenanigans, intentional or unintentional besides, are to be expected!

27. Mr Zoat

No, I'm not including the Endless in the list of Martian Gods, even though some of them are acknowledged as gods on Mars.
    Whether you're talking about the one from the series or the one from the comics, that probably won't happen.
    No, I'm going pure Doylist on that one.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
    Bramble Thorn, Bgbg, Drode and 5 others like this.
  28. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

Clearly that calls for recursive fanfiction then.

29. Mr Zoat

Go right ahead.

30. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

Somebody else can. I already have too many projects that I'll never get to on my list.

Prince Charon likes this.