1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Nioz

Nioz Know what you're doing yet?

Ahh, finally caught up!

2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

No. The Russian government was one of the groups the Light gave his location to. The Spetznaz team were... Runners up.

3. IndigoAbyss

IndigoAbyss Isaac of the Abyss

So, wait does this mean that Clayface will be ''rehabilitated'' or I guess it's Mudface now... Also, I can't wait for Damien Wayne to show up.

4. Sordid Snake

Sordid Snake (Verified Viper)

At first I thought they were discussing Wikipedia...

5. Mr Zoat

Heh.

"So you're naming Ra's al Ghul's grandson... After the son of the devil?"

6. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

Huh. I thought Paul left Clayface on the surface of one of the other planets in the solar system as a safety precaution because of radiation from the weapon he used to "kill" him.

Granted, he could have always retrieved him at some point but it still makes me wonder how he ended up in New York.

Ardy and nobodez like this.
  7. Tzeentch

Tzeentch I trust you know where the happy button is?

Alrighty then, who's next member of Bateman's Rogues Gallery to make a deal with Paul?

Penguin? Freeze? The Good Side of Two-Face?

8. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Funny enough, the Catwoman in my story Satisfaction got a good look at how horrible Talia could be with Bruce and how horrible of a mother she would be, and has that as one of her primary motivations to seek a more serious relationship with Bruce Wayne. The fact she also got to see that happier timeline were ahe married Bruce and they had a girl also helps.

Obliviated fan likes this.
  9. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Ra's al Ghul isn't most people.

10. Zig

Zig Not too sore, are you?

I'm putting money on the Evil Site of Two-Face, with the Good Side hating him.

11. Mr Zoat

Oh come on, if you're going to advertise your story you could at least have the courtesy to include a link to it.

12. Twilight666

Twilight666 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Since Pinklestia is not here, I searched and found it: Satisfaction (Batman / Catwoman AU)

Obliviated fan and Vorian like this.
  13. Mr Zoat

14. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Fixed that typo.

And editors don't grow on trees.

Twilight666 likes this.
  15. Mr Zoat

Of course not. Storks deliver them.

16. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

In Legion of Superheroes, well this happened "The Legion defeated him and his Oversight Watch and thwarted his plans to jump-start the evolutionary process of humanity. A stock of cloned bodies of the Demon's Head were found and, for a time, the Legion assumed that this Ra's Al Ghul was a clone too. Brainiac 5 realized later that the resurrection process of the Lazarus Pit to which Ra's Al Ghul had submitted himself for decades had changed him. He is literally the Lazarus Fires and the cloned bodies were simply vessels for this sentient blood."

Not that I'm holding my breath on Zoat using that.

Of course, if he wanted Ra's back, well it's not like the Light didn't have access to cloning facilities cough Cadmus cough. :)

17. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Nobody alive saw Ra's die and there was no body or even video evidence of the bodies destruction.

Meaning the Ciaphas Cain rule applies here.

Obliviated fan, Drode, Ardy and 3 others like this.
  18. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

agreed-his core ability/trait is "several centuries/millennia of cheating death"

unless we see him hung/injected/shot in a Cleanroom, his body fed into a disintergrator/singularity, and the entire building subjected to the same, nobody's gonna really believe he's dead dead,and there'll still be reasonable doubt that he doesnt have an asspull way out

Obliviated fan and Bramble Thorn like this.
  19. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Given how intelligent the guy is I wouldn't even put it past him to have cut off a couple fingers some time in the past and placed them among long term sleeper agents who had access to Lazurus pits just for such occasions.

20. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

But will Gabrielle get to live?

21. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Unless Paul steps in probably not.

After all, the Book of Destiny is still writing her story.

22. Gforce1000

Gforce1000 Jibbering, Jabbering

Really Ra's can only truly be considered gone if you destroy his soul or something to prevent the lazarus pits from bringing it back. He and Vandal Savage are two of the vanishingly rare cases where assimilating people could be considered good.

23. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

If I ever make a pragmatic evil villain in DC who is a magic user, slaving those two souls would be part of his great plan. Not only for resources but knowledge.

Savage does seem like an easier target, he doesn't have a daughter that sleeps around with Batman. The problem would be finding him.

24. reddraggone9

reddraggone9 Getting some practice in, huh?

His abdomen starts to bulge.

Mr Zoat likes this.
  25. OrigamiPhoenix

OrigamiPhoenix Getting sticky.

What's so wrong with gender-neutral pronouns?

26. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

English doesn't really do neutral pronouns, other than 'it' or 'they' and such terms aren't the most pleasant, especially when you have multiple speaking characters of indeterminate identity. 'They said to the other' isn't much fun...

(Please, oh elementals, don't let this trigger another gender discussion!)

27. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Yeah, it's technically possible, but either you insult someone by calling them a inanimate object (it), or you have to put in a lot of effort to word everything so that you can keep using "they" without it standing out. I've had to do it before and it's a real pain, and if you do it at length you are definitely going to end up some weirdly structured sentences.

(In all defense to english, at least most proper nouns don't have a gender like a bunch of other languages. Nevermind any sort of modern gender politics or anything; remembering that is just plain annoying.)

28. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

Too late. =P

Well, I've never had a problem with the singular 'they' personally. It sounds a lot better to my ears than a lot of gender neutral pronouns, and if you look at the history people have been using singular 'they's since the 1300.

Ah, I'm mostly just mentioning that as I find it an interesting bit of trivia.

Still, using he and him isn't much more fun with multiple speaking characters of indiscriminate origin, but it's funny to view that as a concern considering Zoat doesn't even use "he said," or "she said," when it comes to dialogue.

29. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Well, If we can keep it polite, I guess... As long as no-one gets mad, the Mods come running and WTR ends up moving site again...

On the other hand, it also makes it tough to follow actions when every actor is an 'It' or a group 'they'. Unless every actor is given a description every time they take action, things would very tough to make sense of.
    I can see the Watsonian reason why Grayven did the whole coin-flip, to keep things straight for himself.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  30. Threadmarks: Field Trip (part 10)
    Mr Zoat

8th January
    21:35 GMT

Boom!

I stride through the boom tube into one of Xan'Xie's caverns. "Hello there!"

This cavern is designed as a sort of three dimensional park, steps cut into the side walls are covered in greenery -some of which is actually green- with trailing vines covering virtually all of the vertical surfaces. Tree-analogues block my view of the… Let's call it west side, but I can see a few brave families taking advantage of the fact that Whites are no longer prohibited from using it to engage in telekinetic ball-toss and… Other Martian family games I don't immediately recognise.

Circe and Lord Cyprian step through after me, Circe taking a moment to bend down and touch the… Grass-moss? Whatever this is, which covers the ground.

"Whatever fighting there was, it didn't take place here. No floramancy and no anguish."

"Good to know." I turn to look at Cyprian as he takes in the panorama. And the staring locals. "Cyprian, are you sure that you being here is a good idea?"

"Of the three of us, I'm the only one with an official government position. I'm also the only one of us with experience in peace negotiations."

"I don't know, Darfur's pretty peaceful these days." I spot a squad of White Martians in appropriated Manhunter gear heading our way, the red X replaced by an orange vest with a green line running across it. "Though I'm not sure that Iname could function quite so well here."

"That wasn't really a negotiation."

"Negotiations are ongoing, but there have definitely been some."

He chuckles and shakes his head. "Taking all of the weapons away is certainly an efficacious way of halting a conflict, but it would be rather more difficult to achieve in a place where the weapons are built into the bodies of the citizens."

"No, it just takes a sharper knife." The… What am I going to call them? Hunters? That'll do. The Hunters land, adopting a skirmishing formation a short distance from us with plasma beam weapons not quite pointing at us. "Hello there. My name is Grayven-."

One of their number strides forward. "How did you come here?"

"It's called a 'boom tube'. My people have the technology to open portals between locations."

"Why are you here?"

"I'm hoping that a neutral arbitrator such as myself could act as a go-between between whoever is running Xan'Xie and the Planetary Council, with a view to reaching a peaceful settlement between belligerent parties."

"Did the Council send you?"

"The Council are aware that I'm involving myself, but no, they didn't send me. Karmang asked me to come here."

"Karm-?" The squad leader's eyes glow for a moment and I feel a weak pressure against my mind. "That seems unlikely."

"We were visiting one of those monasteries the Sorcerer Priests run when he and his clansmen attacked it. Pure coincidence as far as the timing was concerned."

"Which clansmen?"

Odd.. question. "L'atroma, N'Rixot and K'emra…" I turn to my companions. "Did the ones you saw give their names?"

Circe nods. "One introduced himself as L'Sufux. The other was too focused on impaling our hosts to engage in social niceties."

"I recognise the names." He looks at me, then at Circe and then at Cyprian. "Why do you all block your minds? I only wish to see what you saw."

Cyprian smiles in a friendly way. "I'm afraid that our species aren't natural telepaths. We can block our minds completely, but beyond that we have no way to regulate what you can see. As such, we generally prefer to maintain a barrier. I could create an illusory image if that would suffice, or Grayven could create a hologram."

There are a few moments of hesitation, presumably while the Hunters talk about it amongst themselves telepathically. Or… I don't know what sort of range most martians have. Perhaps they're communicating with their superiors.

"Who are you here to speak to?"

"Well…" I wave my right hand negligently. "Whoever the new Prelate is. Assuming that one has been appointed."

"We're not just letting a Red Martian take control of the city again!"

"I'm.. sorry. I… Didn't mean to imply that you should. I don’t know what title would be applied to a city ruler of another colour."

"Oh. No, I assumed that you were referring to the normal succession arrangements."

I wait for a moment, but he doesn't say anything else.

"So… Who is in charge?"

"I'm in charge of looking after the park."

Oh. Darn. A genuinely spontaneous revolution. I didn't think those existed. I mean, there was that time in East Germany when a demonstration happened because a stoner told a journalist that he heard there was going to be a demonstration, the journalist reported it, the report got broadcast and hundreds of people turned up to a demonstration that wouldn't have occurred if he hadn't told the journalist about it… But genuinely spontaneous?

"And… Did someone put you in charge of looking after the park, or.. did you just assume that responsibility?"

"I flew past this park a hundred times as a child. I was never allowed in." He holds out his arms slightly. "Now every White Martian can enjoy it."

"I'm not saying that you did anything wrong. I'm not taking any position vis-à-vis anything that's occurred. I'm just a bit stuck if there's no one to negotiate with."

Cyprian smiles, though I'm not sure that martians understand the gesture. "Perhaps if you told us why you decided to take direct action? As you said, you flew past this park hundreds of times without doing so..?"

"The broadcast. If finding out that we only felt… Reverence for the Reds because they look more like our monster ancestors… I just felt that all my doubts were… From that. I just came here as an act of civil disobedience to begin with, and then when the Manhunters tried to evict us B'enn B'lanx and P'torex Z'orr attacked their armoury. Then the fighting really got going."

Oh dear. "And removing the Prelate? Who.. decided..?"

"You mean killing her? That was pretty much a.. mob decision. This city used to be… Not equal, but not as bad as it became after she took over." He watches my face for a moment. "Wait, you're not telepathic. When I say 'mob decision', I mean that we were all of one mind. We all felt that killing her was essential."

"And the Manhunters?"

"We didn't kill the ones who surrendered. But they enforced Red supremacy. They needed to go."

"And…" Cyprian looks around at the rest of the group. "The rest of you feel the same way?"

"Yes." / "Yes." / "Yes." / "Yes." / "Yes."

Cyprian nods. "And what plans do you have for the future?"

"Ah… Defend the city against the Planetary Council? B'enn is organising a militia, and we're doing rotations to get training with weapons."

"I meant, do you have any opinion on what shape the government of your city should take? How M'arzz should be governed?"

"Whites need to be involved. The whole caste system needs to stop. Everywhere."

Cyprian nods. "Alright. But what else? What form should the government take?"

One of the others steps forward. "A council of representatives, comprised of representatives of each colour."

Circe frowns. "Have none of you had the colour restrictions removed?"

The first martian visibly starts. "No? How does that work?"

She smiles, purple sparks flickering around her fingers. "Magic. Perhaps I may be of service?"

Last edited: May 23, 2019