1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Flux Casey

Flux Casey The Colonel

Welcome to the story. Nice of you to join us.

2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

I would point out here that we don't see all that much ring-use in Young Justice canon, and even less of the 'average' abilities of martians. I'm pretty sure that both SI and Renegade timeline M'ganns are already showing feats superior to their canon counterpart.

3. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

You also gave Power Rings abilities beyond what even the comics let them do.

4. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Earlier power ring apperances let the user do literally anything they could think of, with a vulnerability to wood tacked on later. Later apperances were only slightly less absurd.

5. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Making constructs isn't absurd, it's the size of those particular constructs that is what's absurd.

6. Impatient_Quill

Impatient_Quill Versed in the lewd.

Not really... The size isn't the issue, it's the load. I could fully see a Green Lantern put a shield or scaffolding around an entire planet from the right vantage point. But the mental stress and power requirements should collapse it in milliseconds.

7. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

"Superman punching someone isn't absurd, superman punching someone so hard that they go through a planet is absurd."

While making constructs in and of itself isn't absurd, when it's taken to such a incredible extreme it is, on the whole, absurd. The fact that the base action is mundane does not make it not-absurd.

Bramble Thorn likes this.
  8. Threadmarks: Field Trip (part 20)
    Mr Zoat

9th January
    06:38 GMT

Not.. all. I'm still drawing fire from an appreciable proportion, Komand'r and her crew are getting more and a fair few are pulling back towards the open ends of the tunnels leading into this cavern. But a sizable chunk of the force is rushing the objective on the assumption that the shields won't stop an infantry assault. And they're… Not necessarily wrong. It's a field deployment; the wrap around isn't perfect, and even if it was it wouldn't stop them phasing through the surrounding rock. And if they're all trained to use those telekinetic spikes they might be able to brute force it.

I… Think I could outfight them. But if they just run past me….

Mother Box.

Ping.

I step through-

9th January
    01:38 GMT -5

-the boom tube into Claire's dormitory room, the woman herself already awake with flaming hands pointed at me.

"Grayven? What the fuck are-?!"

I lunge, grab her and her bed sheet in my right hand and-

Ping.

-stick an environmental shield on her fluffy pyjama suit thing and dart through the new boom tube.

9th January
    06:38 GMT

"Emergency." Her eyes widen slightly as she takes in the Martian cityscape, ignoring the oxygen tanks I dump out of subspace at her feet. I point at the oncoming Manhunters. "Bad people, make fire now." Obey!

And then I let go, fusion cannon construct reappearing on my left arm to replace my club while I draw my daiklave with my right.

Claire's clearly not quite up to speed, but the instructions are simple enough that she complies. She twists the nozzle on the tank to the 'open' position and then raises her hands, billowing flames leaping forth!

"I can't see-"

I track and fire, three Manhunters evaporating under my gun's incredible heat.

"-anyone, Grayven!"

They're invisible, Claire doesn't have-. I take a pair of goggles out of subspace and stick them to her face. Empower the Loyal Vassal!

Her flames dip as she grabs them with her right hand to strap them in place-

I take another shot, hitting no one but disabling several with the heat of the near miss.

-and then leap again as she focuses on her task. "Who are we fight-?"

A Manhunter rises out of the ground just behind me, and I turn and slash, their body parting around my blade before they're fully cognisant of their surroundings. As far as I know it works on phased oppon-.

"What was th-?"

"Martians!"

Phasing's a rare-ish ability. Phasing in blind is a stupid thing to do, but we've got telepathic screening-. "G-Gnomes, stop projecting fire and start protecting our minds!"

There's a momentary dip in the brightness of their horns, then they light up again. Not a defence I need, but Claire is far more vulnerable.

"Martians?"

"I'm only killing the ones who you don’t scare off!"

Not freaking out due to a gas explosion is one thing, but actually charging blind into a fire is a completely different matter. Professional soldiers flat out breaking and running is unusual, but inflict enough psychological shock and the quality of decision-making drops dramatically. I remember reading about a case in the American civil war, where a regiment of… Confederate, I think it was? Troops, were engaged with their enemy. Though outnumbered, they could have held on in close combat. Instead, the green soldiers were so shocked by the violence of battle that they held their position, loading and firing their guns in full view of the enemy army. As a consequence, they were shot to pieces, whereas if they had been in melee the majority of the Union army would have had to hold fire.

If the entire Manhunter force charged, I'd have to break out the strategic weapons. As it-

Another Manhunter sticks his head above the ground, then ducks back down as I stab at them. I thrust the sword in further, hoping-. Think I hit something, but I'm not sure what happens when phased martian gets cut. I stamp, firing a pulse of sonic energy into the ground. That'll do.

-is, only a small proportion came this way and they clearly don't know what to do. I mean, even if they did destroy the-.

A Manhunter rises out of the ground on the far side of the theatre frontage, bulking up his arms as he tears into one of the G-Troll carried generators! The shield bubble fades noticeably, but only a handful of shots slam into it to take advantage of its weakness. I fly into them, spearing them through the chest with the daiklave and slashing it sideways. He collapses, not dead but swiftly dying.

A few holes appear in the shield, and a G-Troll takes a reduced strength shot to its right shoulder. A-

Boom!

-boom tube opens, and the G-Troll carrying the now-defunct generator lumbers back through. Still, that's not a lot of shooting. If Komand'r's managed to down all of the patrol ships and they're down to personal arms…

I grab a G-Gnome from a nearby G-Elf, put it on my right shoulder and swallow my distaste. "Project what I'm saying."

A slight flicker of the horns is all the acknowledgement I'm likely to get.

"Manhunters. You have been sent here under false pretences. The building behind me houses a peaceful assembly, and the best chance your people have of avoiding the civil war spreading. Leave now and await new orders, or I will kill every single one of you."

Claire glances my way from.. underneath the G-Troll she was sheltering under. "Why are you even here?"

Did that work? A quick look around shows no Manhunters phased within the rock, and they don't.. appear to be heading this w-.

"Ah!"

I wheel-! As Claire flees from M'gann, who passes through the fiery barrier without apparent discomfort. Though to be fair, given how M'gann looks now…

I dismiss my construct gun and sheath my sword. "That it? Are they backing off?"

She nods, her head taking on a slightly more human appearance. "Yes. From what I could see, just as far as the entry tunnels."

I nod in relief. "Good. I didn't want to have to carry out my threat."

"Threat?" I point to the G-Gnome on my shoulder. "If you transmitted it telepathically, they wouldn't have heard you. After Komand'r killed their commanding officers they were supposed to retreat anyway. They're only falling back now because the local officers have seniority and they ordered them to."

Ah. Shoot. I shake my head. No, it's dealt with, that's the main thing. "Alright, Genomorphs, pack it up. Claire-."

"What the fuck is going on?"

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  9. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Um... can I get a reminder? Who is Claire?

10. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Superman cartoon's own Volcana.

Or her local doppelganger, anyway.

Affiliated with that school for psychics that Gravy is sending his daughter to.

Sargon, Bramble Thorn, Drode and 9 others like this.
  11. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Claire's clearly not quite up to speed, but the instructions are simple enough that she complies.

I take another shot, hitting no one but disabling several with the heat of the near miss.

Reads a bit oddly, but likely natural speech applies.

-boom tube opens, and the G-Troll carrying the now-defunct generator lumbers through.

...and the best chance your people have of avoiding the civil war spreading.

Welp, fight's over. Cue the victory jingle, and let's clean up the mess...

Invisitext:

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  12. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Comic book Lanterns seem to work on Yoda logic when it comes to mass/volume limits. Doylistly, of course, they work on Rule of Cool, limited only be the writers' and artists imaginations, and occasionally a few things that they aren't able to effect, to make the stories more interesting.

Obliviated fan likes this.
  13. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

14. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

to be fair, in one version of comics cannon, the greenies were capable of putting a harness/tow rig around the entire fucking planet for supes to pull.....

CTrees and Prince Charon like this.
  15. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

There's a link to that image in one of the posts above, I think.

Gantradies likes this.
  16. Siskulous

Siskulous Know what you're doing yet?

And that's not even the most impressive feat done with power rings in the comics. I mean seriously, Saint Walker fixed a dying sun as the very first thing he did with a power ring. Depending on how he did it (I don't remember the exact details or even if they were ever given) that means he either transmuted or removed at least hundreds of planets worth of mass. With one power ring. As an untrained novice.

So....yeah. When someone says Zoat buffed power rings I have to fight the urge to laugh a little. Everything either Paragon Paul or Grayven has done is WELL within the bounds - if only logically - of what's established in the comics, and Young Justice barely features power rings at all.

17. Booksnake

Booksnake Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

One of Raynor's more notable feats was holding in a small Nova from a small sun. Which was still enough to render the solar system uninhabitable, if it had gone off. So, yeah, with enough Ummpphhh, Power Rings are OP.

Prince Charon, BBJimmy and Vorian like this.
  18. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Yeah, but he had a blue ring and a planet worth of Hope to pull Yoda logic power from, right? Green rings can’t use other people’s emotions to help power themselves, I think? A blue ring can pretty much use the planet worth of hope to rival that amount of people with Green rings for power, right? 7 billion (Earth’s population?) rookie green lanterns is a lot of power. Basically, Yoda logic works in this case, but a normal person does not have that much hope/will/desire: they would either go crazy or get enlightenment quotes - which Grayven doesn’t have. OL is Enlightened, which basically means he has basically infinite desire capacity/control (not sure about this)
    Power Rings are like the force - magic bullshit that can TECHNICALLY do anything, but that is really hard to use unless you are the mystical chosen one (Anakin/Raynor) /Enlightened (OL/Yoda), of which Grayven is neither.

caspian1a likes this.
  19. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

Silver age power rings could literally do ANYTHING.

Hal Jordan would time travel, had another identity set up and everything, as a form of vacation.

I mean...

Animation
    Astral Projection
    Blast Power
    Energy Absorption
    Energy Based Constructs
    Energy Shield
    Energy-Enhanced Strike
    Flight
    Force Field
    Healing
    Holographic Projection
    Hypnosis
    Invisibility
    Levitation
    Light Projection
    Phasing / Ghost
    Power Item
    Super Speed
    Super Strength
    Telepathy
    Teleport
    Time Manipulation
    Tracking
    Emotion-Based Constructs

Is just the tip of the iceberg.

Compared to the holy crap factor mainstream Power rings tend to get up to, OL has a gas guzzling cheap knock off you could get at a state fair.

20. Mr Zoat

It means two things for ring use:
    1) He can use the orange light without worrying about orange light corruption. This also means that he doesn't need to restrain his desires, and so can safely use more power.
    2) His output is unaffected by other emotions.

It does not -by itself- increase his power on an action by action basis.

21. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

It took Saint Walker and another Blue Lantern to do that, so two rings. However...

An Ion possessed Green Lantern had to stay in a sun to keep it yellow.

A Parallax possessed Hal Jordan killed himself to reignite the Sun after a Sun Eater got to it.

So Saint Walker and his buddy did something that is beyond the feats of another corps' emotional embodiments.

When a Blue Lantern stated that hope was the most powerful emotion in the comics, they weren't kidding.

People who complain about the blue lanterns being screwed over because they weren't given standard abilities missed completely the fact that a blue lantern with standard abilities in addition to everything else would make the other power rings look like cheap plastic crap that cereal companies give away to sell boxes.

The reason that the Blue Lanterns were slaughtered in the very storyline which revealed that they had the standard abilities after all post flashpoint.

22. Itypeslow

Itypeslow Corpses for the Corpse God!

I think you missed one, this should be: carrying the

Mr Zoat likes this.
  23. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

In this fic: can blue lanterns use constructs? I get that the ring wasn’t made by the guardians, so that would explain it. The other possible explanation is that Alan Scott still uses his green ring along with the blue one.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
  24. Threadmarks: Field Trip (part 21)
    Mr Zoat

9th January
    06:47 GMT

T'ronn stares at the cityscape in shock. "What..? Happened..?"

Martian emergency vehicles have begun arriving to pick up the injured Manhunters, and since the fighting has stopped I've tasked the Genomorphs with assisting them under the watchful eyes of Komand'r and her Construct Lanterns. The nature of the fighting means that there isn't that much debris, but M'gann was attacking people inside buildings and they're not all in a condition to call for help telepathically. The Whites who were inside the theatre are not helping; given that the attackers were explicitly here to kill them I didn't think that the additional exposure was wise.

"The Marshal appears to have decided that any White assembly is a valid target."

"But.. that's.. insane-."

"I know, T'ronn." No, no, come on. He's M'gann's age. Don't snap, no matter how stupidly everyone around you is behaving. "And I'll be getting answers from him in person before long. How is the conference going?"

"We… Cut things off when we felt… What was going on out here. I.. think we're getting towards a unified negotiating position."

"And what's it going to look like? I ask because while I don't mind protecting a peaceful gathering, if it's turning into a council of war you're on your own."

"No! No, just… We all want the colour discrimination laws repealed, and… Some sort of government reform. The repeal thing is something we all agree on. Exactly how the government thing works out will depend on… A lot of things."

"And who is doing the negotiating?"

"Me. To start with, at least." He shifts position slightly as he sees a badly burned Manhunter being levitated out of a building by medics. "How many-?"

"Don't have a full count. I killed at least eight."

He turns his head towards me. "I've.. been arrested before, that wasn't-."

"They weren't here for arrests. They phased through the roof and opened fire with their main guns. I'm presently being charitable and assuming that they had been told you were planning a violent uprising."

Because otherwise I'm not sure that I'd be able to stop myself killing all of them, and that would do even more harm to my interests than this fiasco has already inflicted. Ugh. Okay, I'm unageing if not actually immortal. I know that backing the right side now is the best way of getting returns in the long run. But in the short term there's no doubt in my mind that helping the Reds put down the rebellion and make token reforms would get me access to their magic lore faster. And I doubt that Karmang would go for sharing what he knows with me.

"Oh." T'ronn is quiet for a moment. "Thank you."

I shake my head. "It's.. fine. I'm just.. frustrated that this even happen-."

Boom!

A boom tube opens in the middle of the cavern. Not one of mine. Justice League. Yes, J'onn flies through first, and I feel the mental pressure of his scan a moment later as his eyes pass over me. I raise my right hand and wave, but instead of coming down he flies back through. Oh, whatever.

"Is M'gann okay?"

"You might be losing brother points for taking that long to ask."

"I thought you'd say if anything bad happened, but I can't hear her."

"She's…" I saw her when I sent the aggrieved Claire back to her dormitory. "Alright. But this was pretty violent, and I imagine that she wants a little while to collect herself."

Hm. I'll need to talk to her. I'm used to this sort of thing, but she most decidedly isn't. And I need to make sure that she isn't making Burning Martian a permanent look. And Claire. Not sure what to do to mend fences there. Pay her for her work, obviously, but I feel that I owe her more than that. She didn't volunteer for the costumed lunacy. Humble pie and a favour owed, I think.

J'onn flies back through the boom tube, a.. Red Martian a little way behind him. As per usual I can't recognise them by sight alone… Sinestro?

I'm not entirely clear how stable martian genetics are, Lantern Grayven, but I believe that to be Prelate J'emm.

Right. They know one of theirs fucked up, so they send a moderate.

T'ronn rises off the ground next to me, and I grab him with my right hand and push him down. "Where are you going?"

"Oh, right, you couldn't hear. Prince J'emm just asked me to speak with him directly."

"Right. Stay here, I'll go and get him."

"But he's.. just…"

I shake my head. "Domination game. His side messed up, he can come to you. I'm going to check him for weapons."

"But-. He-."

I rise off the ground and head towards the Prelate. He spots what I'm doing immediately, and shifts his shape until he's almost a red version of J'onn. Yes, that doesn't actually help unless you've got the facial animation to go with it.

"Gray-."

"Where's the Marshal?"

"Being questioned by my peers. We did not authorise this attack."

"Have you checked that your peers didn't?"

"That is extremely unlik-."

"They were warded against detection, Prelate. Magic. Magic that is only used by a tiny portion of the Red population. Bare minimum one senior sorcerer, and more likely several. If you want any progress to be made towards a peaceful resolution, you will find these people and you will try and punish them publically."

"I will.. see to it that the matter is investigated thoroughly."

"Good. I will be checking. Now why are you here?"

"I wish to make it clear to the White Martians targeted by this attack that it was not authorised by the Council. I was also hoping to address them directly."

I glance at J'onn. One bodyguard wouldn't be enough to protect him, but J'onn is probably the least racist martian in existence right now. And he's got a direct line to the Watchtower's boom tube generator. Alright. Sinestro, do a slow and very visible scan of them.

It is at times like this, Lantern-

The light strobes outwards, playing over the unresisting Prelate.

-Grayven, that I am reminded of your Apokoliptian origins.

It's a hateful place, but I'd be a fool to try to claim that it taught me nothing.

The scan cuts out, having found nothing, and I turn aside and gesture towards T'ronn with my right hand. "All yours."

J'emm doesn't say anything, but floats past me towards the ground. J'onn goes to follow, but halts when he reaches me. "The Manhunters who were assigned-."

"If this is a 'just following orders' thing.-"

"No, it isn't. I am trying to thank you for holding back so much. I am well aware that you could have killed everyone here."

I shake my head. "It actually never crossed my mind. Slaughter is so wasteful. But perhaps a little something about questioning bullshit orders could be added to the Manhunter training curriculum?"

"That will depend on what happens to the Marshal."

He descends through the air, heading after J'emm. I take a moment to make sure that J'emm's initial chat with T'ronn is civil -at least as far as my knowledge of martian body language allows me to- and then…

Sinestro, where's M'gann? I need a chat.

He doesn't say anything, but a waypoint appears in my mind. I fly down towards one of the crashed patrol ships, and M'gann shimmers back into visibility. She's back in her usual red-skinned humanoid appearance. Usually, she instinctively uses human expression, but I'm well aware that she doesn't have to. I hope, at least, because that sort of blankness would be a very bad sign on a human f-.

"Do you know how many of them I killed?"

I shake my head. "No. Not yet."

We watch each other for a moment.

"Why did you use the form of a Burning Martian?"

"Efficiency. I thought maybe I could use their fear-. No." She shakes her head, her face animating again, her head bowing and her eyes dipping. "I needed to destroy, and that form is.. better than all of the other forms I could have used. I needed something the Manhunters didn't know how to fight. So I did it. I took on the form of a prehistoric killing machine." She looks up. "Because that was what I needed to get the result I wanted. I stabbed and burned and killed because that was what needed to happen. I turned myself back after they retreated… And I don't feel bad."

"If soldiers kept feeling bad about killing they wouldn't be able to function."

"I killed people. I felt their minds go out. But every time I think about it, I remember what would have happened if I hadn't." The red X on her uniform vanishes, the material turning the same dark blue as the rest. "I used to wonder how you did it. I didn't realise it was this… Easy."

"And?"

"I don't think I'll be able to stay a Manhunter after this. I don't think I'd want to."

"Hm." I think for a moment. "Two options, then. Stay on and push through reforms. Assuming that the Marshal takes the blame for this, you could end up as the first whitish full Manhunter. You'd have perspective that the new Marshal would need."

"Assuming he leaves office." She shakes her head. "What's the other option?"

"Have you ever wondered what it would be like, to use an orange power ring?"

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
  25. Twilight666

Twilight666 I trust you know where the happy button is?

1) Alan doesn't have a green ring, if you look back you will see that his green ring got assimilated into a blue one.
    2) Alan and Blue Lantern Paul can use Ring Constructs
    3) Mr Zoat said several times that, unlike Canon Blue Rings, Alan's ring isn't nerfed like blue rings were in canon because 'the blue light is too strong!':confused:

26. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

Bramble Thorn likes this.
  27. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

Well, would you look at that. Someone who might want to see the Guardian brainwashing removed from the entire species.

28. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Missing closing Quotation mark.

They phased through the roof and opened fire with their main guns.

Someone's probably gonna call this one, but it checks out okay.

Ah, the easy way for the quest. Grayven's taking the hard path this playthrough, isn't he.

Sinestro, do a slow and very visible scan of them.
    While I know he isn't pausing, this does scan better. I don't know if you'll agree but I just wanted to let you know.

Not sure about the spacing around the hyphens, especially with the ones later on...

Assuming that the Marshal takes the blame for this, you could end up as the first whitish full Manhunter.
    (You had a full stop there instead of a comma... It's hard to see, eh?)

Wow, that would tick off the Guardians HARD.

This is a big potential butterfly for the timeline. It's also a big issue, given how M'Gann turned out in Canon...

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  29. Slayer Anderson

Slayer Anderson Orthodox Heretic

Well. A Martian with a power ring. That's... hilariously overpowered.

I'm glad it's M'gann, at least.
    Also, ouch. That's a terrible thing to have happen, but... when an organized military force decides to kill a bunch of peaceful protestors after a civil uprising brought about by discrimination... there isn't much you can really do except watch a massacre or strike back.

30. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Can we have a small child with super-strength run up and kick Grayven in the balls as hard as he can sometime soon?

Because Grayven's past the point of being insufferable.

Hazardouz likes this.