1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

But power rings have consistently been called the most powerful weapon in the universe. So there is that.

2. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

A gun's more powerful than a wrench but one of them is going to get a hell of a lot more shit done around the house than the other.

3. Eponymic

Eponymic Getting sticky.

Slightly awkward phrasing? Suggest changing the second use of the word move? Maybe 'its wings could account for'? I realize this is a style suggestion, and do not mean to offend.

needs?

The use of it/its is an intentional representation of OL only just remembering the Karfang's gender, not an error right?

Mr Zoat likes this.
  4. Hell's Razer

Hell's Razer Passive Member

FTFY

Obliviated fan likes this.
  5. NullVoid

NullVoid Getting out there.

I found this sentence extremely hard to parse.

reddraggone9, Mr Zoat and Silveraith like this.
  6. Silveraith

Silveraith Argent Phantasm

Than.

Me.

Mr Zoat likes this.
  7. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

No, I think I'll leave that.
    Thank you, corrected.
    No, he got a better look at her shoulder to hip ratio.
    Are you a dragon?
    Thank you, corrected.

In other news, droplr -the site where I host linked images- is ending free hosting. I'm moving over to ImgBB, so let me know if you notice some links no longer working.

8. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

breathe

If you'd like some dedicated hosting I could turn on image uploading for the WTR wiki for your account.

Bramble Thorn, Ardy and Mr Zoat like this.
  9. Citizen

Citizen Well worn.

So is Paul having a background trickle of magical lore fed into his brain on a regular basis? He has to have access to enough texts available to him to be picking up at least hedge magic, even if it's Atlantean apprentice's cantrips, and it seems to be a continuing problem for him. or can he not do magic the usual way because of his soul structure?

10. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Thank you for the offer, but I'm fine for now.
    There are no such things as cantrips in this setting, either in the sense of 'not prepared when most spells have to be' or in the sense of 'draw a card'.

The SI has studied Atlantean thaumaturgy, but his soul structure makes a lot of it unusable to him.

11. Citizen

Citizen Well worn.

To clarify what I meant I was thinking 'minor spells safe and/or useful enough for apprentices to learn as part of their advancement to greater mastery of the art', but thank you for your answer.

12. Eponymic

Eponymic Getting sticky.

He kinda sorta did, ' "Medphyll wouldn’t teach me how to control plants like he does. And to be fair, he probably didn’t know how to. But with observation, meditation and experimentation… All Things Strive. '

From OL's fight with Kilowog. I'm pretty sure it's extremely limited, and am unsure how much is a function of the Power Ring vs Orange Light manipulation vs Magic. But, there is also the scene where OL eats Stephan's spell, via the Ring, so he can at least, in limited ways, use the Best Light to interface with magic.

Maybe via his soul, maybe via the Ring. Maybe both?

It'd be a bit OP to give OL more than limited access to magic, imho. Be cool to see a bit though.

13. Citizen

Citizen Well worn.

I don't mind it being a slow burn effort, he's a busy man and has biological immortality so picking up a bit here and there rather than some sort of deep dive in the books and coming out an effective spellcaster is both more reasonable and less OP. I did like how he became the world's foremost expert on scrying wards though.

14. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Paul is not callling his friendly snake goddess yet because he is being an idiot.

Unless he is facing something like a Dragon God that should solve the problem.

moralrelativity likes this.
  15. Maxx Crowley

Admittedly, He can't expect to call on the Ophidian for every single problem. That's probably end with them merging again anyway.

Plus, she's a pretty big nuke....and that's not always the best choice.

16. Gforce1000

Gforce1000 Jibbering, Jabbering

Oh yeah, hopefully that gets used at some point ever. Now would be a great time to pull out that trick...

17. Aeess

Aeess I trust you know where the happy button is?

I meant it as a joke about how 6-7 real life years are less than 2 years in universe. I cant even really imagine how long it would take for 6-7 in universe years to pass. I think Zoat would be in his sixties by then.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
  18. Simon Buchan

Simon Buchan Getting sticky.

Pretty sure he's a Balrog, actually. *Ducks*

Obliviated fan likes this.
  19. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

"Even if the consequences of breaking the rules are more annoying than following them?"

Prince Charon likes this.
  20. Threadmarks: Hoard (part 18)
    Mr Zoat

12th January
    00:06 GMT +1

"I will burn-"

Karfang flaps, desperately trying to gain height as we head for the exit. She might be capable of moving at a decent speed, but it looks like there's only so much that magic can do as far as acceleration goes.

"-everything your wretched-"

Why isn't her ring helping her? Flying is a fairly basic function. Even if she didn't know that rings did that before she saw me-. She saw me. She now has a better idea of what rings can do. Unless it's already out of power, which would be nice.

"-kind has ever-"

Pride. The same reason why I still look basically like myself, rather than the most handsome male model ever. And why my penis is entirely unaltered. A dragon would be proud of its ability to fly and its magic, it would probably hesitate to-.

"get back here!"

An orange construct chain wraps itself around my legs. My continued flight pulls it taut a second later, Zatanna gasping quietly as she feels the sudden deceleration and spots the cause. I keep pulling, forming a railgun construct and loading a crumbler round as I do so. Fire, and flare my environmental shield to increase the power my rings are putting into flight-

Beneath us, a section of vertiginously suspended bridge explodes upwards, shattering over Karfang's head and shoulders as she flaps after us!

-aura as the construct chain shatters. I begin rising again immediately, the burst of fire Karfang throws my way lapping at my heels.

"Orange Lantern to Superboy."

"Superboy here."

"We have a dragon with a power ring. Also, some sort of airborne environmental contaminant. Environmental shields and spell eaters all around."

"Got it. How big is the dragon?"

"About one hundred and fifty metres total. She also ignored everything I threw-" We come to the uppermost platform and I change direction, heading for the entrance tunnel. "-at her, so there's something else going on as well."

Into the tunnel, and I generate a construct vault door to cover our retreat. She won't be able to fit through here-. I haven't seen any sign of her being able to change her size, the tunnel isn't big enough to fit her and however strong she is this is a lot of rock-.

There's a tremendous crash, and a moment later my construct door fails as magic-enhanced draconic fire races up the passageway behind me!

"Erif Pots!"

The fire freeze-frames behind us as I fly through the illusory barrier and into the open air. Bio-ship over there, Kaldur… Kaldur in a meditative posture on the ground, eyes closed and hands clasped together in front of him, but I can see the orange light surging within him, held in check by his intense concentration.

Karfang doesn't appear to be flying through the side of the mountain, so I descend, Kaldur's eyes unsteadily blinking at me as I set Zatanna on the ground.

"Zatanna, can you remove the effect-" I take an environmental shield out of subspace and attach it to Kaldur's armour. It's a basic, fragile, limited battery life thing but it should filter out toxic gasses. "-of whatever Karfang was breathing on us?"

"I should be able to…"

A violet aura surrounds Kaldur's head for a moment and he gasps, his violet-glowing eyes snapping open.

"Aqualad." I regard him cautiously. "You back with us?"

He takes a couple of breaths, then nods. "Yes. I believe that I am."

"What were you experiencing?"

"It was… As if the world existed purely to give me what I wanted, and that nothing but satisfying my own desires mattered." I get a momentary look at exactly what it was he wanted. "It was all I could do to resist." He glances up as the Bio-Ship descends, then looks back to me. "I believe that I have gained a better understanding of what it means to be an Orange Lantern."

"Maybe. But Orange Lanterns learn to stay functional when they feel like that. If you're interested in training-" The Bio-Ship comes in to land, Wallace dashing out immediately. "-to do so, I'd be happy to make time for it."

"You.. saw." I nod. "I would not have acted-."

"You didn't act. But ignoring your desires indefinitely isn't a good idea."

He nods-.

"Hey, Zatanna." Wallace comes to a stop just in front of her. "You ran into a drag-." He blinks. "Are you okay?"

"Perfectly." She comes over and wraps her left arm around my right. Just as Artemis steps out of the Bio-Ship. "I'm exactly where I want to be."

"O…" Wallace gives me a puzzled frown. "Kay..?"

"Something Karfang did altered people's behaviour. I wasn't affected but the rest of our team were."

"You can't fix-."

"I don't need fixing. I don't want anything I didn't want before."

He hesitates for a moment as the rest of the team leave the Bio-Ship. Robert's with them, but he hasn't been studying metamagic. Doctor Balewa is a far better choice for undoing this. And I'm pretty sure that she'd violently resist efforts to change her back now.

"I'm sure that we can talk about it after dealing with the dragon."

Wallace doesn't look happy, but he decides not to push it. Artemis gives me a pointed look, but stands at ease to wait for instruction. Empathic vision shows Beryl still in the Bio-Ship while Richard, Kon, Raquel and Robert form a semicircle around us. I blink as I realise that the Sphere has accompanied them, and it shifts into its flying bike mode. And all of them have environmental shields and spell eaters, good.

Richard smiles. "You found a dragon, Oh El? Thought you said it wasn't gunna be a dragon?"

"I may possibly have been slightly wrong. One dragon, one hundred and fifty metres in length and in possession of an orange power ring with at least a partial charge. The dragon is intelligent and invulnerable to anything I threw at it."

"Okay, that's-."

"In addition, it has an army of mutant gnomes, and Canis and Osiris were caught in the mind altering gas and haven't reappeared. I'm not that worried about-."

Kon's head suddenly turns towards the mountain. "Does the dragon have a way out of the mountain?"

"I didn't see any tunnels big enough."

"Because that rock's getting-"

The side of the mountain explodes!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
  21. Kalem_Lee

Kalem_Lee Well worn.

Oh dear. Zatanna's gettin clingy.

Oh and that poor mountain.

22. rkyeun

rkyeun Cabbitus Maximus

The word "explodes" is the final word in a large percentage of updates.

23. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

personally I find it hilarious, now all we need to do is have Jade come back right now and the dryad to arrive for crazy harem shenanigans

24. w34v3r

w34v3r Versed in the lewd.

Especially if we count Boom and variants there of.

25. Simon Buchan

Simon Buchan Getting sticky.

Is this a first? Paul admitting fault!? (I kid!)

Anyone taking bets on getting a new Lantern recruit? I'm giving it 70:30 at the moment.

26. Travisplo

Travisplo Dapper Necromonsieur, a fine undead gentleman

That for and against, or the other way round?

27. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

Add in the spider queen and that one feline girl from pirate world and it's pretty much the DC version of Monster Musume.

28. Maxx Crowley

"So...Business as usual OL?

"Yeah, at this point we just keep you around as a glorified tricorder/taxi service."

29. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Like the greenies, really. The main difference is that his bobblehead is sexy.

30. Mr Zoat

[​IMG]

Who am I to judge?