1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

A more forgiving DM/GM than you have?

boo600, Gantradies, Sonder and 8 others like this.
  2. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

going for?

jerking?

Mr Zoat likes this.
  3. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

That should be Robert.

Mr Zoat and Prince Charon like this.
  4. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

Well first off are you making sure that they want to be mutated?

5. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Hadn't even thought about it before.

Karfang eats treasure- gems, gold, the like, to regenerate.

While that's not synonymous with art, I bet Karfang has eaten a lot of gold and gems that were turned into art over the years.

Hopefully Canis will get to help out, because he ought to be personally offended by Karfang's diet.

6. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Try offering health insurance, including dental, and a long term retirement investment folio.

Should you plan to open a firm involving mutant gnomes you could also offer shares.

7. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

Also a shiny spinning thing. Who doesn't like a good shiny spinning thing?

8. Belenus

Belenus Versed in the lewd.

Gnomes' ability to speak with animals is magic. Keep countermagic ready when trying to tame them, and they can't call for help.

9. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Farming for literal centuries. This may not be a viable strategy for humans.
    Thank you, corrected.
    No, that's a word.
    Thank you, corrected.

10. My_Game_Account

My_Game_Account Getting sticky.

Should that be "He is tougher than she is strong." ?

Ardy likes this.
  11. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

I call hacks / bot use.

Ardy likes this.
  12. SpiritualSlacker

SpiritualSlacker Nurse God of Mischief

I was under the impression that that statement was about Karfang’s toughness/strength ratio, rather than Leonid’s.

Vorian likes this.
  13. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

It might be saying "she's tough, but not really that strong", but it could go either way.

14. Simon Buchan

Simon Buchan Getting sticky.

Remember, Starfire is a Russian guy, Starfire is a Russian guy, Starfire is a Russian guy....

Curse you Mr Zoat!

... Starfire is a Russian guy, Starfire is a Russian guy, Starfire is a Russian guy....

15. Mr Zoat

Yes. Karfang is literally invulnerable but not much stronger than a giant reptile of her size should be.

16. CTrees

CTrees Chasing the ring

It still just feels weird that these gnomes have been (seemingly) harder to deal with than the freaking psions. Yes, magic, but still.

Navi-Hank likes this.
  17. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

Is she channeling the greed ring to absorb energy thus deny damage?

We know Paul understanding of magic allowed him to use the orange light to absorb magic (didn't translate into charge, just the equivalent of damage resistance), its the dragon understanding of reality and her natural warped fae mind allowing her to use the ring as a piece of equipment that helps her have an absurdly high damage resistant stat?

18. Mr Zoat

The SI hasn't directly fought the Psions. Grayven fought them using an entire Lantern Corps and a fleet who were specifically trained and equipped to fight Psions and were manoeuvring with boom tubes.

19. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

They

breathe

[​IMG]
    ?????

(Also you probably mean "runed", not "runic".)

20. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Claymore. Also I'm reasonably confident that my use of runic was correct.

21. Stsword

And when Zoat is feeling particularly evil, he will introduce the third Starfire, to maximize confusion. :)

22. nick012000

nick012000 Gone for Good

Is that even another Starfire? It almost sounds more like an Elseworlds/alternate universe version of Koriand'r to me.

Impatient_Quill likes this.
  23. bobsimmo

bobsimmo Simmr001 on SV/SB

why not, she will get along well with all the Roy Harpers

Ardy likes this.
  24. ElvishPresley

ElvishPresley Getting some practice in, huh?

Maybe a silly question, but was this
    the first mention that the team is in Switzerland, or did I just miss it before? I know that they were talking about Dolmen Gates back in Bucharest, and the timezone changed appropriately, but I totally missed the transition.

Feel free to tell me I should be paying closer attention if I'm wrong :oops:

Otto von Saurion likes this.
  25. Mr Zoat

There was a time zone change back here. But you're right, it wasn't especially clear. Let me have a think.

26. Impartial Panic

Impartial Panic I trust you know where the happy button is?

oh hell it's Angry Scotsman.
    That sword is no joke.

erebus1994, BR549 and Prince Charon like this.
  27. Stsword

She came first actually.

The russian is the first of the three, but the science fantasy swordswoman predates Kory by four years, '76 to '80.

As for her father being "golden skinned" as her DC Database page states, I believe that was basically saying "She's Eurasian, or at least the local equivalent since the planet she's from doesn't actually have a Europe or an Asia," as opposed to a reference to the colorful hue of the Tamaraneans.

Whether the alien warrior woman with a golden skinned father was in any way inspiration for the later golden hued alien warrior woman who shares her nom de guerre, or if it's all coincidence, I dunno.

Bramble Thorn and Prince Charon like this.
  28. Threadmarks: Hoard (part 20)
    Mr Zoat

12th January
    00:11 GMT +1

Raquel's eyes widen. "Hu-?"

My first mage slayer hits its left hand, causing a slight shift in its flesh before its fiery breath obscures it. That.. means that the effect is ongoing rather than transitional. If we shut the spell down they should turn back completely, rather than being stuck as what they are. Optimism, that's the tick-.

A rune-encrusted sword spikes through the kinetic barrier, a slight electrical discharge from my armour's internals and Raquel dropping out of the air as her belt gets fried demonstrating the ineffectiveness of our technological solution. I sigh, transition her behind Kaldur and myself and then back up, forming a fusion gun.

"Got a backup-" The large mutant barrels forwards, the smaller ones following in its wake. "-weapon?"

I form defensive construct shields around the glowing fusion gun, point it at the mutant's left shoulder and fire as Kaldur sweeps his right water-bearer forward. Some damage to the shoulder and the smaller ones are knocked-

I jerk myself back in the air as the claymore swings at me.

-back. Kaldur alters his aim and fires a torrent of near-freezing water into the large mutant's mouth. Agh.

"They're immune-" The mutant turns its head aside, spluttering and choking. "-to cold but that works."

Raquel hesitantly raises a pistol… Ah, a low lethality terminan sidearm. Some sort of low-grade neural pattern disruptor if I remember correctly. Nothing like as flexible as her kinetic belt, but it might affect th-.

Karfang collapses out of the air to our right, just about managing to turn it into a run as she bashes a furrow in the ground. Leonid takes the opportunity to push her jaws open and free himself while Robert is sent flying, just about stabilising himself as she lumber-flaps herself back into the air.

Two more shots from my railgun as those smaller mutants who dodged the worst of Kaldur's attack surge forward again. Three fall as my shots strike home at the same time as Raquel pulls her trigger. Another giant mutant surges out of the tunnel only to be staggered by a blast of red light from Leonid. Minor burns now cover its face, so… With his energy output… I shoot it in the neck with my fusion gun, the brilliant white beam burning through the outer scales and causing it to collapse, choking and clutching at its neck.

"Aqualad to Robin." Another giant mutant-. This one has an enchanted shield. Let's test that. I fire mage slayers, which.. don’t appear to reach the surface of the shield as its wielder barrels forward. "We are holding." A shot from Raquel causes it to lose its footing for a moment, but it barely stumbles before righting itself. "Have you found them?"

Leonid shoots after Karfang, accelerating-. Ah. He hits her right where I imagine her genital slit is, both fists striking the thin scales. She clearly feels the impact, but doesn't appear any more injured by that than by anything else we've done. He's forced to roll aside as she sends a sheet of flame along her underside, then she turns in the air to head back towards us.

At least Altdorf is safe.

"Yes, but we've got a problem."

Kon checks on Robert, who brushes him off before flying to intercept Karfang as she flaps back in our direction. I jog forward, a construct exoskeleton appearing around me as I slam into the shield-carrying mutant. It blocks my counter-charge with its shield and shoves me back, breathing fire over me and trying to claw me with its right hand! In return I take x-ionised knives out from subspace, form solid protective constructs around them to shield them from the fire and stab them around the shield!

"They're fighting each other."

Raquel backs away, taking shots as she goes. Another large mutant comes up on my right only to get another face full of water, which turns to ice a moment later.

"Why?"

Two of the knives are turned aside by its armour, but four others find flesh and slip easily through the scales.

"Grawgh!"

Its own attack lightly cracks my construct armour, forcing me to bend my legs slightly to absorb the force. I slide the knives sideways, the pressure against me falling off slightly as the blood pools on the ground beneath us. I press off from my legs, shoving it back as I pull my knives free.

"There's a big crystal-."

"Cornwall to Aqualad."

I glance up. Robert is.. doing something to make Karfang's fire flow around him rather than frying him.

"Go ahead."

And the next mutant is wearing full magic plate. If we survive then handing that stuff over to Sephtian could prove to be a major boon-. And… Do I have to show it to Venturia as well? We slam together, a claw construct from me… Fuck, failing to get any purchase on the armour of its sword arm. The blade comes down, cleaving through my construct armour and into my-.

"No."

Glowing violet armour? The new armour holds, and the mutant struggles to pull its sword free as I stab it in the eye socket with my x-ionised knives.

"It's a lich."

"Explain."

It doesn't fall back. Instead, it pulls its sword free and slams it back down. I sidestep, and the sword bites into the rocky ground.

"It's using a spell granddad told me about."

I jab knives into the joints in its gauntlets, but the protective magics turn them away. Okay, mage slayer-.

A club hits me in the side as another large mutant makes its way past my current opponent and hits me.

"They put their soul into an object. It means their body doesn't interact right-"

I'm knocked over for a moment, yanking myself back with my ring to prevent the follow up strike hitting me.

"-with the world. We can't hurt her without-"

And back on my feet-

"-destroying it-"

-and shooting a mageslayer at the hand holding the club to weaken the protective spells and stabbing into the gauntlet.

"-or undoing the spell."

"AAAAagh!"

It doesn't quite lose its grip, but as it strikes me the pain combined with the force of the blow jars the weapon from its hand. As a result the strike is far weaker than it should have been. My armour is damaged, but not in a disabling way.

"Robin, describe the crystal."

"It's about twelve feet by four by four. Pale pink. It's glowing, and Canis-"

Railgun from behind, shoot the armour in the middle of the back, stab-. No, didn't work.

"-is defending it."

"Why?"

Shoot the off-hand, stab until it can't hold-. Stab the mouth as it tries to breath fire. It coughs, uncontrolled fire bubbling from its mouth and nose. Good.

"He says it's beautiful."

"Kaldur, if we have her phylactery-."

"She may be willing to negotiate. Cornwall Boy, speak to her."

"Oi! Dragon!"

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  29. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Wow... Cornwall Boy has gotten strong enough over a few months to deflect dragon fire that even Paul can’t stop. That’s quite a bit of power.

30. thepsyborg

thepsyborg Not too sore, are you?

On the one hand, yes. On the other hand, Cornwall Boy has an extremely specialized powerset and is absolutely in his element here. It's still impressive as hell, but it doesn't put him anything like on Paul's overall power level.