1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Enter the Dragon (Harry Potter/Shadowrun)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Dunkelzahn, Jul 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

What? Respect a muggle? When he grew up speaking british?

For reals though, Sir Humphrey originally called it Alumium, and later called it Aluminum. It finally settled on Aluminium.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
    Corvus 501 and Aaron Fox like this.
  2. Cutesquid

Cutesquid Know what you're doing yet?

I can find a source that Thomas Young reviewed Davy's book and proposed calling it aluminium. I can't find a source that Davy agreed. Can you? By source I mean a paper or book where Davy could be quoted as saying such. He didn't say that in his 1812 book.

3. RichardWhereat

Probably, if I cared enough to put the effort in. You can imagine though that I don't care enough.

Of course, if you think you win by default, well, go ahead and pat yourself on the back for making assumptions.

4. Cutesquid

I was actually just asking a question. A confirmation would be a nice result, as it settles things and the mere lack of finding something does not.

There's no need to take it negatively.

5. RichardWhereat

No, you were not just, "asking a question." Also, you're well aware of that, and being passive agressive about it.

6. Cutesquid

I was genuinely expecting you to come up with something that proves you right. That's why I asked, interest. That you don't believe me is fine. I'd ask you not to impute motives to me, however.

Don't just assume I'm lying. When I say I am telling the truth, I am telling the truth. I am telling the truth about this. Do you think I care enough about what some metal is called to lie?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  7. Edmond G. Bertrand

Edmond G. Bertrand Getting sticky.

I noticed that in the HP movies, the directors were not particularly strict about portraying the characters in "uniform". Harry and his crew seemed to
    show up in pretty much anything they felt like wearing. I can't tell, after re-reading parts of each book, whether that seemed in keeping with
    what JKR wrote or not.

Anyone have any thoughts about this? The reason that I ask is that there were several threaded conversations in pages past (here) about
    skirt-length, etc. Does anyone think that there's a definitive consensus about the Hogwarts uniforms?

RichardWhereat likes this.
  8. Aaron Fox

Aaron Fox That Crazy/Not-Crazy Guy

Eh, the 'feeling what the actors want to wear' thing didn't really happen until somewhere around the fifth movie... but I'm relying on pure memory right now...

9. Doghead13

Doghead13 Grumpy Old Scottish Biker

The films are not in keeping with what JKR wrote, save for the first few. As soon as Harry and company start turning up at the school wearing street clothes, there's where it diverges from the books on that front.

As usual JKRs descriptions aren't very tight, and most of what we know from canon is that there is a uniform - loosely described as resembling a 1950s English school uniform with a black bathrobe over the top but the descriptions are as sparse as JKR's norm - and it can be intimated that most/all students wear the things, though that's never actually written down in black and white. There's no direct mention of any student running around in non-uniform clothes, but there's also no mention of any student ever getting in trouble for being out of uniform and the only real description is what was on Harry's acceptance letter.

The nearest thing there is to a consensus is what was shown in the early films - but there's all the room in the world for a writer to do whatever they feel like as JKR didn't clearly define whether the uniform rules were actually enforced, or for that matter the exact design of the uniforms.

10. The Unicorn

The Unicorn Well worn.

The movie robes, and uniforms have no relation to the ones in the books.
    In the books Wizards and Witches wear full robes instead of modern trousers, and shirts, or skirts i.e they provide full coverage and you wouldn't know what (if anything) they're wearing underneath one. In book one the students are "changing into" their Hogwarts robes, not putting them on over other clothes, and there is even a line in IIRC the fourth book during the world tournament that suggests many wizards and witches don't wear anything under those robes.

Given that you are already ignoring that just pick what length you feel works for the story, and ignore anyone who complains about it not fitting canon.

That sounds like a Retcon as it doesn't match what few descriptions we have in the early books. Where is that from?

RichardWhereat likes this.
  11. Doghead13

Am I misremembering what was on the list in Harry's acceptance letter? IIRC that letter was the nearest thing we have to an actual description.

12. RichardWhereat

HOGWARTS SCHOOL of WITCHCRAFT and WIZARDRY

UNIFORM
    First-year students will require:
    1. Three sets of plain work robes (black)
    2. One plain pointed hat (black) for day wear
    3. One pair of protective gloves (dragon hide or similar)
    4. One winter cloak (black, with silver fastenings)
    Please note that all pupil's clothes should carry name tags.
    COURSE BOOKS
    All students should have a copy of each of the following:
    The Standard Book of Spells (Grade 1)
    by Miranda Goshawk
    A History of Magic
    by Bathilda Bagshot
    Magical Theory
    by Adalbert Waffling
    A Beginner's Guide to Transfiguration
    by Emeric Switch
    One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi
    by Phyllida Spore
    Magical Drafts and Potions
    by Arsenius Jigger
    Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
    by Newt Scamander
    The Dark Forces: A Guide to Self-Protection
    by Quentin Trimble

OTHER EQUIPMENT
    1 wand
    1 cauldron (pewter, standard size 2)
    1 set glass or crystal phials
    1 telescope
    1 set brass scales
    Students may also bring, if they desire, an owl OR a cat OR a toad.
    PARENTS ARE REMINDED THAT FIRST YEARS
    ARE NOT ALLOWED THEIR OWN BROOMSTICK

caspian1a and GunSmoke like this.
  13. The Unicorn

The Unicorn Well worn.

I don't recall Harry's acceptance letter having any description of the robes beyond "three sets of plain work robes (black)".
    From the Madam Malkin scene we know the robes are put on by "pulling them over [your] head" so not the sort of open robes we see in the movies and that they're "long",
    When Harry and Ron change into robes on the train Harry notes that Ron's robes were "a bit short for him, you could see his sneakers underneath them" which suggests floor length robes that cover them completely (reinforcing the description as "work robes").

14. RichardWhereat

If you're looking at being canon compliant at all, which this story would have to have a complete rewrite for, then you're best ignoring the movies entirely.

But since you're not going canon compliant, don't even bother about it, just write what you like.

15. Doghead13

(SNIP the list)

Huh.

I did indeed thoroughly misremember it.

Useful.

16. Khepri14

Khepri14 MILF Lover

If it turns out to be Naruto it better be unapologetically wacky like SpoonandJohn's "Itachi, Is That A Baby?" fic.

Well, she sure is strict as one at least. Really, there's not much we can say about Minerva McG because she's only ever portrayed as one of the incompetent adults in canon with the "Keep your head down" and "I don't know what you're talking about" and all. About her only moment of real personality was when she was dissing Umbridge.

Corvus 501 likes this.
  17. Prustan

Prustan I didn't do it!

Well, really enjoying this. Been a while since I last read Doghead13's original version, but it seems to me that Dunkelzahn has done a fantastic job of continuing it. Harry really needs to look into wards and ways of tracking his damsels though. Pretty sure Malfoy's employees haven't given up on taking Hermione after all, and I don't want anything like that happening to her.

Lord Greyscale and Aaron Fox like this.
  18. Hunting time

Hunting time Getting out there.

So, it has been over a month since last chapter, I need my fix.

19. Edmond G. Bertrand

I agree with <Hunting Time> about needing my fix.

Korfayron likes this.
  20. The Unicorn

The Unicorn Well worn.

You do know that sort of post is generally considered rude, right?

Ame, Madfish, ScarletFlames and 2 others like this.
  21. Edmond G. Bertrand

Who's trying to be rude? I posted it as a statement and nothing more. I love the story and I look forward to more. I didn't write anything that was demanding or crude or
    otherwise nasty. Further, I didn't say that anyone has to *do* anything. I could be a coke-addict and say, "I need my fix" and it would amount to the same thing.
    Now, why is it that you felt motivated to give me a hard time?

Edmond

22. Happerry

Happerry The Song to the Flame

Because what you did is called necroposting, reawakening an old thread that has lay dormant for more then two weeks or so, getting everyone's hopes up only for them to find that no, there is no update and there also is no interesting content. This often brings about a tide of complaints much more severe then the one you are currently feeling hurt by, and generally causes bad feelings all around. I forget offhand if QQ has any specific rules against it, but some forums do forbid necro-posting in the rules just to keep the internet backdraft down.

Ame, Bean_Counter and wasprider like this.
  23. Edmond G. Bertrand

I've never even heard of necro-posting, and frankly, unless you're the moderator, I really don't care about your opinion. You mean exactly nothing to me.

24. Spartan3909

Spartan3909 Know what you're doing yet?

It's one month for necro posts on qq, rules wise you should be fine.

Rule 7: Thread Necromancy is (very) conditionally permitted.
    • Threads that have been dormant for 1 month are considered dead threads. IF you make a post to a dead thread, it must be a significant contribution; story update, new information on current events, new activity for games elsewhere, etc. Asking if a story or quest is dead or will be continued does not count as contributing.

Ame, Carbon, caspian1a and 1 other person like this.
  25. Edmond G. Bertrand

Thank you.

26. Happerry

Happerry The Song to the Flame

I didn't give you an opinion. I answered your question. if you don't want questions answered don't ask them.

27. The Unicorn

The Unicorn Well worn.

You obviously aren't, however that doesn't change the fact that constantly poking the author demanding updates is rude.

28. bryceh59

bryceh59 Getting some practice in, huh?

Which one would you rather have:
    A quickly churned out, unedited chapter that gives you characters that are flat and dull, terrible grammar and descriptions, and boring plotlines?
    Or would you like to wait for a chapter about once every other month on average that gives you brilliant characters that feel like you could meet them in real life, descriptions of scenes that let you feel the wind in your hair and smell the surroundings, and plotlines that grip you and make you quiver in anticipation of the next metaphorical page?
    Be patient.

Also, just because this is something that REALLY gets my goat:
    Novels, in real life, take years to write, edit, and publish. And the people who do that often at least do it part time, and get paid for it. Dunkelzahn is making this wonderful piece of art on their own time and money, and probably have a full-time job to worry about too. They could be using their time more to their own benefit, but they choose to use it to write this instead. They don't owe anyone a 'fix' of their wonderful Fanfiction. Heck, they could drop off Questionable Questing entirely and there's not a damn thing we could (or SHOULD) do about it because that's THEIR CHOICE. It's their choice to write this fanfic, it's their choice to not write not write this fanfic. So, please, don't annoy them for another chapter.

29. Edmond G. Bertrand

"Constantly poking"? Not hardly. I've mentioned it ONCE. And now I know not to do that here. So... what's your problem?

30. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

Okay guys, stop it now and wait.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.