1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Video Games General

Discussion in 'General' started by Smuthunter, Mar 25, 2017.

1. Derek58

Derek58 Rocket Punch is Best Punch

Ooh yea, that's some nice graphics, especially on the steampunk robots! :cool:

2. Lady Vanatos

Lady Vanatos Cancer of Society

It's a great series. I'd recommend it any day.

Same, fam

3. Lady Vanatos

The single-player Star Wars game Respawn is working on got a trailer. No real gameplay yet though

4. Rexis12

Rexis12 Experienced.

A new single player game made by Respawn?

And it's of a series that allows sick ass movement and cool ass magic attacks?

Sign me the fuck up!!!

Derek58 likes this.
  5. OverReactionGuy

OverReactionGuy The only Sane one left

Diablo 3 for the switch is the best diablo 3 right now I believe. At least to me since I have a switch and not an xbox 1 or ps4.

The Xbox 360 one was a punch in the gut because they never told anyone that they would not be updating it, but you can import your character from there to the xbox 1 version but still need to buy the game over again, yeah.

Anyway, the reason why the switch version is currently amazing.

No FPS drops and it looks just like the one on the pc. No latency issues, no sudden freezing, no stupid chatrooms on an obvious single player game, no windows 10 update.

It couldn't get better than that.

Though you do need nintendo online to play with other people unless you do local stuff. But meh, who the fuck plays diablo 3 with anyone anyway? I never did on PC.

UnthinkingWisdom likes this.
  6. Melmar

Melmar Should probly stop sayin' words

New Bloodstained trailer and finally a release date:

Something something what is a man? Someone who can polish a turd 'til it shines apparently. :V

7. OverReactionGuy

No...THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE!

<---Only saw bloodstain once so has not been following that game at all.

Imabot likes this.
  8. BrokenAscendent

BrokenAscendent Filthy Heretic Moderator

Turns out listening to criticism and putting in effort has good results.

Who knew?

Imabot, Melmar and OverReactionGuy like this.
  9. OverReactionGuy

I hope it works out well for them if only to further promote that line of thinking.

Melmar likes this.
  10. Raven1138

Raven1138 Experienced.

Obviously not Konami, that's for sure. Looking forward to adding this to my library and putting the collector's edition I backed on my bookcase.

11. Wootius

Wootius I trust you know where the happy button is?

So glad I backed this even if it took a while and looked shakey for a bit.

12. AllyDoodle

AllyDoodle Lewd Cthulhu

Someone had better call Satan because I think Hell has frozen over. Apparently this is being released with no MP (thank fuck) and no micro transactions. A first for an EA game.

13. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

So, Dragon Dogma is on Switch. I wonder, should I get it? I never did so, but I wonder how the game is outside the trailers.

14. OverReactionGuy

It's a pretty fun game. Don't know how it plays on the switch though. Or if they fixed the pawns constantly talking about stupid shit problem.

-edit-

Dark arisen which is the one on the switch added a mute button or something for the pawns though.

15. Dakkaface

Dakkaface Magical Defender of Justice

For those who missed the news, City of Heroes is back. Not because NCsoft saw sense or anything, but because somebody leaked the server code right around the time the studio was shuttered, and some yahoo has been running a hidden private server off that code for six years. And then when that guy got into drama with some of his players, they blew the lid off his secret and his response was to just leak all the server code to it would spread as far as possible.

Rogue servers are cropping up all over, and I am blasting gang members with my Mastermind again.

Go. Hunt. Kil Skuls.

Biofan09 and Rakdos92 like this.
  16. OverReactionGuy

Maybe.

Honestly don't know about city of heroes private servers, whether one is good or one is total trash.

Last edited: May 9, 2019
  17. OverReactionGuy

Going to double post but god damn, I'm excited.

The US government is attacking micro-transactions and loot boxes!

-edit-

But it'll be awhile before the bill finalizes and possibly passes.

korat56, Imabot and UnthinkingWisdom like this.
  18. Aaron Fox

Aaron Fox That Crazy/Not-Crazy Guy

We won't know but the gaming industry will be fighting back and fighting back hard. The gaming industry as a whole is... in a spot similar to Hollywood once upon a time during the infamous 'Studio System' era if you can believe it...

19. OverReactionGuy

Considering how many countries across the world are getting into the loot boxes are bad stage...their fight shouldn't last long and honestly just be a whimper.

20. Aaron Fox

Eh, when immense amounts of money are involved, I wouldn't be surprised that the gaming industry would fight back, especially with a market as massive as the US... which will cause a cascade effect everywhere else.

If loot boxes and similar practices are killed, well, it wouldn't be pretty for anyone at the end of the day. The most likely scenario is that the gaming industry would find ways to bypass laws for this (as such, they have to be pretty much blanket bans to work), and if they can't then the industry itself is going to start jacking up prices which would not help the fact that the investor/stockholder situation (where games that -in any sane metric- would have been considered commercial successes are considered to be a flop by companies) at all. Worst case scenario is basically the entire industry flaying itself apart and crashing, hard...

That doesn't go into the elephant in the room with the Trading Card Game industry, as they utilize the loot box system -hell, they can be considered the prototype for loot boxes!- for decades. If loot boxes and the like are killed, you've likely also outlawed an entire industry. The last time the US did that (aka Prohibition), it didn't end well.

21. Rakdos92

Rakdos92 Goosh Goosh

If the game studios crash again, do you think the survivors will resent the gamers for refusing to go along with their money making scheme, or will they act according the saying "the costumer is king", out of necessarily?

And how much of the market share will Nintendo gobble up? They did keep their reputation as a reliable firm that does neither bend the knee to sjw nor do they engage in the more predatory practises that are dragging the rest of the industry to the brink. So I think they might weather the collapse without much issue.

But I'm worried that if they get a market share too large, they will start engaging in the same practises since they can afford to take a loss or two...

22. Aaron Fox

Here's the thing, what people don't understand about Nintendo that it is a very conservative company in all respects. It never really chased after the policies that dominate the industry and generally set trends. They also started out as a game card company -and original Nintendo cards from this era will net you a lot of money for the card collectors out there- back in 1889 before becoming a toy company in the mid 20th and when that was drying up, they tried everything (including love hotels I shit you not) before settling down in gaming. It also has a reputation of general quality (and the fact practically all their consoles and handhelds are essentially indestructible to the point that an urban legend of Nintendo discovering a material called 'Nintendium' still surfaces on occasion to this very day, and given that a Gameboy had a close encounter with a 250 to 500 pound bomb and still works to this day...) that the rest of the industry has been struggling with as of late.

Out of every company in the industry today, Nintendo is the oldest of them all by far. Not only that, but the company is HQ'ed in Kyoto and has been a family (the Yamauchi family to be specific) business until one Satoru Iwata came into the picture. Given that in much of the Western world, major companies owned by families tend to last longer than those that aren't...

If any company is going to survive a game crash, then Nintendo is going to be the most likely one. If the game crash takes out Nintendo, then we have far much more to worry about than no videogames...

23. Heaven Canceler

Heaven Canceler Behind You!

If I remember right, the problem in the Netherlands at least was not the general legality of loot boxes but their status as gambling.

So card games could continue with only some losses as long as they are targeted at age of majority player... plus I guess parents / older silblings will buy them just as they do cigarettes today. (Well not parents for cigarettes but you get it...)

It depends on whether owning stuff from inside lootboxes / card packs can already get you into trouble... but at that point they would have to write some entirely new laws from scratch...

daimahou likes this.
  24. Rakdos92

Rakdos92 Goosh Goosh

That's good. My main worries are just that a) Nintendo somehow ends up as bad as EA because their market share becomes so big they can afford to piss off a lot of people, and b) despite everything they do, their bussiness goes under anyway.
    Yes, I know, Nintendo has a lot of money for dry times, their company policy is conservative and customer-oriented, but the worry is always there.

25. Aaron Fox

The thing you'll have to wrap your head around that there are a few companies in the various industries that have been started and (still) owned by families. Ford, for example, had been a major family-owned corporation for decades and despite the fact that it's a corporation, it's not that money-grabby (although, in the automotive industry, being money-grabby is more of a detriment than anything else). Add to the fact that Nintendo is older than the competition by basically an order of magnitude (Nintendo is 130 years old this year, and Namco is the only real competition with a founding date of 1955, Nintendo was 66 that year) and one of the things that I've noticed with older companies (as in companies that have more than half a century of history behind it) is that they tend to not be idiots in the money-grabby bit.

Nintendo is like Germany (as in the German Government, not as a people) in the fact that it always stocks large piles of money just in case of a downturn or when shit goes down.

Also, remember that Nintendo's gameplan is a benevolent "hook them while they're young then keep them on" strategy that the cig companies use. Nintendo's entire business plan is basically ensuring that they have at least a replacement base to replace those who would walk out of the consumer share, thus the kid-friendly image. Add to the fact that the majority of their consoles and accessories are practically indestructible (lots of tests on Nintendo consoles have been done over the years, and many of them get into the Tonka Tough (aka 'Tonka has a special claims team just to make sure that the claim of someone breaking their toys in regular play isn't someone trying to jip them into giving them Tonka toys for life') department)...

26. Dakkaface

Dakkaface Magical Defender of Justice

Homecoming is the default one, with custom i25 content and massively boosted XP gains. It's... kind of a mixed bag. On one hand, there's some neat things in it. Swap red/blueside with an NPC conversation, all the content you had to pay for in i23 is free, there's a new custom archetype for ranged soloing that has Blaster primaries with Scrapper secondaries. And holy shit you level so fast. No more spending weeks in your garbo low level state.

On the other, holy shit you level so fucking fast you run out of contacts to do missions because you've outleveled the old contacts before they can introduce you to new ones. You don't spend much time in each individual zone like you used to back in the day, so there's less emphasis on knowing the city. You outlevel contacts and missions and are forced to level up to cap so you can go to Ouroboros and do old content through there.

Also, I think the Homecoming Servers are based in Europe? I dunno, but I occasionally get MASSIVE lag spikes that make me feel like I'm playing on dialup. Thankfully I'm playing a Mastermind so my minions keep on doing what they're doing even when I can't see what's happening.

If you're really concerned about it, spin up your own server on a VM and play single player. :p

Last edited: May 9, 2019
    OverReactionGuy likes this.
  27. Dormin

Dormin Know what you're doing yet?

This loot box stuff is a bad idea. I’m still not sure why it requires regulation. Can’t the kids parents just take their credit cards away?

28. Aaron Fox

You haven't worked with kids on a mission, haven't you? If kids want something, they'll do everything to get it. Not only that these lootboxes are more spread out in terms of age groups, it's not just kids but also teens, young adults, actual adults among the list of those at rist.

Rakdos92 likes this.
  29. Lady Vanatos

So close yet so far away.

Derek58 likes this.
  30. Dormin

Dormin Know what you're doing yet?

Well, yeah, I actually have worked with little kids determined to cause trouble. It’s not pleasant, but if your careful and don’t let your guard down they can be managed. I really don’t get where this assumption of “kids on a mission can’t be stopped” came from. It’s quite doable, especially if you practice and are willing to put your foot down. And keeping the credit cards away from the kids is not that difficult. Just don’t be a moron and leave your purse out in the open. As for other ages? Well, teenagers can be controlled same as kids (though I will grant you that it’s more difficult than with children). On the subject of young adults and adults though, how many adults do you think are actually addicted to fortnight? I really would like to see some evidence that this is actually a problem among adults before going any further.

Edit: sorry I meant “addicted to loot boxes” should have been more specific.