1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

And then contacting some random person he knows of who can take care of the problem.

2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

You don't know me.

3. Wheenesss

Wheenesss Versed in the lewd.

You’ve been writing this story for what’s going on six years come this August. We do.

4. Siskulous

Siskulous Know what you're doing yet?

Um....Zoat....That's significantly more pressure difference than the difference that causes the strongest winds on Earth, which ABSOLUTELY get strong enough to move a person. If you doubt that google "Al Roker blown away". You're talking about an air pressure difference many times greater than that of the strongest tornadoes and hurricanes. Where in the world did you get the absurd idea that it wouldn't be enough to move a person?

5. Rukkileib

Rukkileib I trust you know where the happy button is?

Probably the fact that there’s a lot of other factors involved in wind, where the difference between 1 atmosphere and vacuum is 14.7 psi. Which is genuinely not much.

Bramble Thorn and Alexandercctv like this.
  6. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

built

whiff

In other news, I found this interesting:

7. Siskulous

Siskulous Know what you're doing yet?

It's not much when you're talking about the pressure a container can hold, but it's a whole lot when you're talking about wind. 14 psi is equivalent to around a 400mph wind, quite a lot more than the strongest wind ever recorded on Earth, more even than the winds in an F5 tornado. Again, the idea that this isn't enough to move a person is completely absurd.

8. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

I don't know where you got that figure, but it's a good example of how misunderstanding the statistics can lead you to an absurd result. For one thing, you can't judge the effects of wind based on speed alone. For another, even if the airflow at the breach is traveling at 400mph, that doesn't mean that all of the air in the room is suddenly moving at 400mph just because there's a hole in the wall. And finally you can't relate a pressure to a speed like that in the first place because it depends on cross-sectional area too. All in all it's better to think about it in terms of momentum transfer.

If you were trying to resist the depressurization of the chamber by blocking the breach with your body, and if the breach were the size of your body, then that figure might be roughly correct. You'd certainly get blown out of the chamber at that point.

On the other hand, the yield strength of human skin is around 15 megapascals, and 14psi is only around 0.097 MPa. I could put my hand over a bullet hole in the chamber and not get seriously injured; that's less than 5x as strong as a household vacuum cleaner (.02 MPa). Uncomfortable, but it wouldn't split my skin from the pressure alone.

I tried to do the math myself but fluid dynamics is ridiculously complicated for a layman, but the long and short of it is that air just isn't particularly massive, it's very inviscid, and it's ridiculously compressible. Also, humans are moderately aerodynamic. If you're not right in front of the breach when it happens, and if the breach isn't "the whole wall is suddenly gone", the force isn't going to be so crazy that something as heavy as a human won't be able to resist it.

EDIT: Another way to think about it... I found some engineering information measuring flow rate through a valve based on pressure and valve area. A hole with a cross-sectional area of 1 m^2 will let air at 10 psi through at a rate of about 144 cubic meters per second. So if you had a breach big enough to fit a human through (humans ALSO have a cross-sectional area of around 1 m^2) it would void a 100 cubic meter room in less than a second. There's about 120kg of air in such a room. If the room has a reasonable height and is square, then it's somewhere around 6m across, so the center of mass of the air would be about 3m from the breach. 120kg of air accelerated across 3m in 1s... that's a force of 360 N (about half a G), applied for 1s. Even accounting for the fact that I've got fudge factors all over the place in this calculation... I could be off by a huge margin, but the fact that it's such a short time for the force to be applied means that you'll barely have time to be knocked off your feet before it's over.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
    Drode, nobodez, Bramble Thorn and 5 others like this.
  9. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

Bramble Thorn likes this.
  10. Maxx Crowley

[​IMG]

11. Jormuungaand

Jormuungaand Out of work World Serpent

Heh. Imagine trying that with modern forensics.

12. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Eh, they have magic and stuff. They could just, say, summon something human-ish and tell it to make the handprint.

Also, I haven't actually played the game so i'm not the best person to ask about this stuff, but IIRC it's not so much a "secret assassins hiding among us" thing as it is a "secret assassins hiding in a secret hideout" thing. Identifying them doesn't do you a whole lot of good if you have no idea where they are.

13. Citizen

Citizen Well worn.

I feel like I missed something. This black hand is a reference to something?

14. Maxx Crowley

Use the hand of someone you've already killed? A removed corpse hand? Wear a glove? Wear a glove of another person's hand?

The Dark brotherhood of the Elder scrolls.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  15. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Since all hand markings are the same, I’m assuming they have some sort of ritualistic prop/ molded black hand of Sithis / the night mother that they have a copy of in every sanctuary.

Bramble Thorn likes this.
  16. Jormuungaand

Jormuungaand Out of work World Serpent

Either that or they just reuse game art, rather than create a new handprint for every relevant spot.

infinityDivided likes this.
  17. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Shh... assassination is a deadly serious business :p

Siskulous and Bramble Thorn like this.
  18. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

I kind of wonder what this black hand shares with the one that Killed Franz Ferdinand and kicked off WW1 though, besides the name.

19. Threadmarks: Ways and Means (part 16)
    Mr Zoat

24th January
    20:44 GMT

The gravitational distortion is such that I can't really see him, but he's definitely being hit. Though the space behind him-.

"-and did you really think that no one had tried gravity weapons on me before?!"

Ring, map of local gravitational effects.

Map available.

The wiggly lines clearly show the beams I'm firing at him, as if the effect they were having on local light wasn't enough to convince me. But he isn't being distorted, and the effect isn't affecting anything behind him either. Graviton siphon? I mean, I've never seen one -much less one integrated into armour- but this appears to match the description. I cut the beams off and dismiss the constructs and he rises towards the force field below me.

"Have you come to admire it?"

It.. presumably being the object in the shield.

"It's certainly unusual."

Ring, what was he firing at me?

Uncertain. Profile appears to match theorised Bleed-based energy-actualisation weapon.

Ooh. A weapon that spontaneously generates energy by altering the rules by which energy works. That's not fun.

"That fool Starkaðr had no idea what I had when he destroyed this place the first time!"

"Are you saying that device was here at the time?"

"Of course it was. It can't be moved."

I frown. That seems a little lazy. Shouldn't he have checked the wreckage? He'd have to have checked for life signs before attacking… "It is fairly large. And the equipment-."

"No, fool. It can't be moved. It resists every attempt to alter its makeup or location."

"Alter relative to what?"

And… Transmute air into… Pink Flesh Eater? It seems that the people of Tartarath were fairly literal in their description of high-lethality airborne diseases. No point altering the air composition; the filters will just scrub any gas.

"It moves very slowly relative to the nearest stellar objects. The Technons found it centuries ago, studied it continuously until they understood a fraction of its power and then used that knowledge to create my armour."

"Which you promptly used to butcher them."

"No, my revelation didn't happen for several days. And I would say 'massacred' rather than 'butchered'. I didn't plan to eat them."

"I apologise for implying that you did."

"Not because I have a moral qualm about cannibalism. I just wasn't hungry enough to have eaten more than one before the bodies putrefied."

"So mass murder is fine but gastro-intestinal upset? Unthinkable."

He floats up, and I'm careful to keep the force field between the two of us. He stops once he's level with me and settles for watching me across the force field covered area.

"Is this humour?"

"No, this is humouring. I don't know what's going on and I'm hoping that you'll tell me."

"Then why not just ask?" Ah. "If you're anything like the Green Lanterns then I know that you despise me, but did I ever attempt to conceal my purpose from anyone?"

"You accepted conditional surrenders and then broke the terms, so… Yes."

"Does it really count if I did it so often that they would have to have been fools to believe me?"

"Yes. Yes, that counts."

He raises his right hand and has whatever strange energies the Bleed is feeding him… Bubble for a moment. "I'm literally called 'The Traitor' by the people of the entire Sector. My purpose is to demonstrate that ruination and betrayal is the natural pattern for life to follow. If I tell people that I will betray, slaughter and pillage, how have I concealed anything when I actually do it?"

This is not productive. "What is it?"

"The most perfect energy draining weapon ever devised. Even the mighty knockoff the Technons produced cannot compare to the destructive capacity this holds."

"I didn't realise that you were a researcher yourself."

"I wasn't a researcher two hundred years ago. Today, I know that rendering down the universe is not simply a matter of throwing a fleet at a target. Spending decades floating in space with nothing to do but talk to my armour's computer left me with little room for anything else."

"I didn't think your species usually lived that long."

"This is the ultimate armour designed by my species' greatest technologists. If I died too readily then I would hardly be their ultimate warrior."

"Were the people who worked on you really stupid, or just blindly focused?"

"To this day, I have not been able to decide."

My eyes move to the device for a moment. "Where did it come from?"

"I have no idea. When I was fitted with this armour, I saw things. For a long time I thought it was an epiphany about the nature of the universe. Then, I wondered if it might have been an attempt to indoctrinate me by the Technons; one which by their standards backfired horribly. But the first time I saw this armour I felt such a kinship with it… I believe that it was a message from… Something or someone, associated with this armour."

"You're sure that it's armour?"

"What else could it be?"

"A ship's primary weapon? It's far too big for… Most species I can call to mind to wear. And too small for virtually all of the rest. Or it could be a tool."

"No. Something… I know it is a weapon, a piece of armour."

"The voices in your head tell you that?"

"The instincts I've had since putting on this armour, yes. I repaired this facility to try and learn more. So far it defies analysis. Could your ring tell you any more?"

"Not with an initial scan. I think that I'll hand this over to one of our more research-orientated Lanterns rather than try and study it myself."

"You study such devices? Do you believe as I do then, that nothing exists but pain and death? Do you seek to be an agent of universal destruction?"

"I'm struggling to imagine anything that interests me less. I'm a builder. I believe that the future will be better than the past, and I seek to create that future."

The purple bubbles once again rise from his hands. "Then I will kill-."

The wall behind him melts as Mister van Wyck launches his assault.

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  20. frozenchicken

frozenchicken Here to Read the Articles

"I am Devlos Ungol....'s personal masseuse. He stuck me in here after I gave him a crick in his back. Please let me out."

Also, yeah. Anti-Monitor sounds about right for this.

21. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

<falls into screaming debate flashbacks>

...basically, in biology, species names are not capitalized, except for birds, which are.
    (Unless you're on Wikipedia which decided their own "house style" trumped sources.)

Edit: And having read up...oh goody, the already-disposed-to-mass-murder villian has Monty talking in his head! I think maybe jumping ship to the MCU might be far enough to avoid the fallout.

22. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Kind of surprised the mention of giant armor didn't trigger any eureka moments for Paul.

I would think "giant armor plus DC leads to Anti-Monitor as the first thought," just like "giant armor plus Marvel would lead to Celestials as the first thought."

23. Flux Casey

Flux Casey The Colonel

I love this guy. I love bonkers characters still capable of having civilised conversations.

24. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Monty?

25. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Anti-Monitor I'd presume.

26. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

This. <points down>

Blue and yellow, antimatter universe involved, does weird things to spacetime and rings, giant armor, corrupts...yeah the big guy's incoming.

27. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

"It was worth a shot?"

...as if the effect they were having on local light wasn't enough to convince me.

-much less one integrated into armour-

Perhaps 'match' would fit better here?

Another reply-box double space. What's with that?

Well, they aren't theoretical anymore, are they now?

Ominous immobility. Not good.

Well, at least that's explained.

Well, that would be uncivilized...

...And this guy is anything but civil...

I'm picturing Kirby Crackle. You know, the fizzy black dots Kirby used lots of?

Oh, boy. A nihilist with deity-level powers. Fun...

And I doubt he had internet access out there.

Why not both?

I see that hesitation, OL. You're thinking Anti-Monitor and trying not to show it, aren't you?

Yes.

Not the person I'd hope to see, but damn lucky timing. Maybe he can make himself useful...

Time to begin prepping the 'Everybody out of the universe' alert...

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  28. Bigking321

Bigking321 Not too sore, are you?

This bad guy is pretty great. I'm kinda concerned that he is overpowered but that neither here nor there till the fighting really starts.

Great personality. I could read days of updates of them having civil conversations about various things. Very nice.

dxdragon, CTrees and Prince Charon like this.
  29. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

30. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

So to be fair the Technons weren't just dumb, they only overlooked the armour's mind bending capabilities.